pure beta-alanine with strength training..worth it?

boxcaracer

Awards
I am in a strength training currently (compund lifts, 3x5) and I know beta-alanine is good for buffering muscle and increases latic acid build up, which is good for reps in the 8-15.Would i benefit from adding in beta PWO? or am i better off saving it for hypertrophy training?Side note, I read keto diets reduce...(forgot the word) in your body, and beta can help increase it.

jbryand101b

jbryand101b

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Probably would help. I don't see why not to use it.

Quadzilla99

Quadzilla99

Awards
  • Established
It's got very little to no data for the things bbers care about lbm, body comp, 1 rep max etc the only study that showed good body comp results was done on wrestlers and their training program is pretty different from a bodybuilder's. It's cheap as hell and has some health benefits but I've never noticed a thing from it since I don't go above eight reps hardly at all

boxcaracer

Awards
It's got very little to no data for the things bbers care about lbm, body comp, 1 rep max etc the only study that showed good body comp results was done on wrestlers and their training program is pretty different from a bodybuilder's. It's cheap as hell and has some health benefits but I've never noticed a thing from it since I don't go above eight reps hardly at all
Thanks for the input, I have done BB style training for a long time, and am finally done wasting my time, and am doing strength, compound lifts. But good to know it's more of a hype.

Question, why does my skin tingle when I take it? what causes that?

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks for the input, I have done BB style training for a long time, and am finally done wasting my time, and am doing strength, compound lifts. But good to know it's more of a hype. Question, why does my skin tingle when I take it? what causes that?
It's called paresthesia. The beta alanine molecules attach to the nerve receptors and activate them causing them to fire.

jbryand101b

jbryand101b

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If you train specifically for muscle hypertrophy (body building), you lift 8-12 reps with 45sec-1min rest.

You start timing your rest between sets, lifting at 70-80% of your 1rm, and you'll appreciate lactic acid buffering.

If you strength train (which isn't body building) you lift at much higher percentage of 1rm, 95-85% for low reps, 3-5 with long rest periods, 2-5min, an have plenty of time for buffering lactic acid, an replenishing atp.

Quadzilla99

Quadzilla99

Awards
  • Established
If you train specifically for muscle hypertrophy (body building), you lift 8-12 reps with 45sec-1min rest.

You start timing your rest between sets, lifting at 70-80% of your 1rm, and you'll appreciate lactic acid buffering.

If you strength train (which isn't body building) you lift at much higher percentage of 1rm, 95-85% for low reps, 3-5 with long rest periods, 2-5min, an have plenty of time for buffering lactic acid, an replenishing atp.
Not gonna look for them now but Berkhan has several good articles on why he at least thinks you should regularly do heavy compound movements with lower reps if you wanna maximize muscle growth. That's what convinced to change up my regimen and i do mostly 2-8 rep sets and it's worked insanely well for me

gymratluke

gymratluke

Board Sponsor
Awards
Not gonna look for them now but Berkhan has several good articles on why he at least thinks you should regularly do heavy compound movements with lower reps if you wanna maximize muscle growth. That's what convinced to change up my regimen and i do mostly 2-8 rep sets and it's worked insanely well for me
Same here...Always been a huge fan of low rep compounds for size! And I always used BA to reduce that LA build up! I know some people respond differently then others, but I for me, its a top 5 staple supp! If you train long, hard and intense, you should see some benefit!

BTW for anyone who doesnt like the tingle, look into L-Carnosine! Cant be regular version tho, needs to be enterically coated.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Same here...Always been a huge fan of low rep compounds for size! And I always used BA to reduce that LA build up! I know some people respond differently then others, but I for me, its a top 5 staple supp! If you train long, hard and intense, you should see some benefit!

BTW for anyone who doesnt like the tingle, look into L-Carnosine! Cant be regular version tho, needs to be enterically coated.
Highland Games competitor?

gymratluke

gymratluke

Board Sponsor
Awards
Yes sir!!

gymratluke

gymratluke

Board Sponsor
Awards
Washington State! Where do you live? I can find you a list of games to seek out! First time I went out and did it I was instantly hooked...best sport on earth!!

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Washington State! Where do you live? I can find you a list of games to seek out! First time I went out and did it I was instantly hooked...best sport on earth!!
Texas.

Is there a website like there is for NAS?

gymratluke

gymratluke

Board Sponsor
Awards
Texas.

Is there a website like there is for NAS?
Indeed there is....NASGA, North Atlantic Scottish Games Association

Where in Texas? Im competing in the Light Weight World Championships in Fort Worth in 4 weeks!

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Indeed there is....NASGA, North Atlantic Scottish Games Ass

Where in Texas? Im competing in the Light Weight World Championships in Fort Worth in 4 weeks!
Outside of Houston.

I might see if I can't swing a trip to watch that.

gymratluke

gymratluke

Board Sponsor
Awards
Outside of Houston.

I might see if I can't swing a trip to watch that.
You definitely should if you are interested in the games...the Texas crew thats putting it on will be able to help you out a ton! Im sure they will be happy to help you find one of the games close to you and people in your area to practice with before hand...thats the best part of the Highland Games, its like a huge family and everyone helps everyone

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You definitely should if you are interested in the games...the Texas crew thats putting it on will be able to help you out a ton! Im sure they will be happy to help you find one of the games close to you and people in your area to practice with before hand...thats the best part of the Highland Games, its like a huge family and everyone helps everyone
That's how NAS is as well. It's a great experience too.

gymratluke

gymratluke

Board Sponsor
Awards
That's how NAS is as well. It's a great experience too.
Thats what I hear! I always wanted to try strongman, but it scares me cause my back is so temperamental!

Well, hopefully I will c ya down there! Best part is, its the LW Championship so you will get to see all the best of the best in the class that you would compete in!

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thats what I hear! I always wanted to try strongman, but it scares me cause my back is so temperamental!

Well, hopefully I will c ya down there! Best part is, its the LW Championship so you will get to see all the best of the best in the class that you would compete in!
Lol for now.

I don't hope to be lightweight for too much longer. :laugh:

I'm hoping to get up there, my wife doesn't sound opposed to it right now. We'll see how that stays though. :biglaugh:

boxcaracer

Awards
Sweet, glad to know. I just started my 3x5 program (4 weeks) and I've seen huge gains in leg and back size and thickness (for me). Kind of makes me made I've been wasting my time with 10-15 reps, iso movements.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

Either that or just get strong and fat.

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Beta alanine has numerous benefits other than just lactic acid buffering

Quadzilla99

Quadzilla99

Awards
  • Established
Beta alanine has numerous benefits other than just lactic acid buffering
Nothing for lbm or body comp in weightlifters in the studies I've seen tho. Like there was minor trending towards improved body comp but they were super super slight differences which didn't reach statistical significance.

I take it for health reasons and because it's cheap but it doesn't really do much of anything imho

Quadzilla99

Quadzilla99

Awards
  • Established
Also I didn't think of it at the time because a guy was calling me a fatass but how on Earth would low rep strength training make you fat? Makes no sense.

jbryand101b

jbryand101b

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Also I didn't think of it at the time because a guy was calling me a fatass but how on Earth would low rep strength training make you fat? Makes no sense.
Have you seen most power lifters?
They lift much more weight than your bbers. At all levels

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Have you seen most power lifters?
They lift much more weight than your bbers. At all levels
Most elite level raw lifters are not fat.

That leverage doesn't make as much difference without the gear, it's better to be as muscular as possible in a lighter weight class when raw PLing.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Most elite level raw lifters are not fat. That leverage doesn't make as much difference without the gear, it's better to be as muscular as possible in a lighter weight class when raw PLing.
I'll second this.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
jbryand101b

jbryand101b

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Most elite level raw lifters are not fat.

That leverage doesn't make as much difference without the gear, it's better to be as muscular as possible in a lighter weight class when raw PLing.
guess that depends on what you consider fat.

Kirill Sarychev

I would consider this on the hefty side. but others may not.

Quadzilla99

Quadzilla99

Awards
  • Established
Well that football study does show good lbm results. I never saw that one when I was studying up on it. All the weightlifting studies didn't show much of anything. The only one I saw was the one on wrestlers and now this football one you linked. Wonder why the lbm studies on weight lifters were so underwhelming at least the ones I saw? Maybe you have to overtrain almost for it to make a big difference (?) football and wrestling go through hours long practices in addition to lifting. Or maybe they didn't take it long enough for it to make a difference

Quadzilla99

Quadzilla99

Awards
  • Established
guess that depends on what you consider fat.

Kirill Sarychev

I would consider this on the hefty side. but others may not.
Google image search any Olympic weight lifter that is in a lower weight class ie that has to make weight and watch what he eats. Many are insanely, insanely ripped

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well that football study does show good lbm results. I never saw that one when I was studying up on it. All the weightlifting studies didn't show much of anything. The only one I saw was the one on wrestlers and now this football one you linked. Wonder why the lbm studies on weight lifters were so underwhelming at least the ones I saw? Maybe you have to overtrain almost for it to make a big difference (?) football and wrestling go through hours long practices in addition to lifting. Or maybe they didn't take it long enough for it to make a difference
It very well may be a secondary effect. The body comp effects of beta alanine may be due to the beta alanine allowing the athlete to train longer and harder (more workload and volume). Either way the data is there to suggest there is a relationship between beta alanine supplementation and improved body composition

jbryand101b

jbryand101b

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Google image search any Olympic weight lifter that is in a lower weight class ie that has to make weight and watch what he eats. Many are insanely, insanely ripped
I was looking at strength athletes. Not power. Power training (olympic lifts are power movements) is even more different than strength training.

Power = strength, but strength doesn't equal power

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established