Sleep Aid

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. Sleep Aid

a friend of mine has trouble sleeping, She takes Nyquil /or the sleeping pills u can get in 7-11 to sleep other wise she stays up all night.
    Is there any *natural* HERBAL supplement that can help a person fall asleep? Is GABA good for this?

thanks

2. I dunno, but I'd rather use Melatonin over nyquil. I don't know of anything "herbal" though.

ManBeast
    -Saving random peoples' nuts, one pair at at time... PCT info:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/steroids/192992-pct-what-why.html
    -Are you really ready for a cycle? Read this link and be honest:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/steroids/191120-checklist-before-thinking.html
    *I am not a medical expert, my opinions are not professional, and I strongly suggest doing research of your own.*
    •   

3. valerian, kava kava, Theanine, 5-htp

4. I never liked GABA by itself.....never really knocked me out.....but gave me pretty vivid dreams....but I combined it with 6mgs of Melatonin....that knocked me out the natural way....now I just go with the melatonin....I Love it

O14

5. BTW....5-HTP is good for a calming effect IMO....but not a great "sleep aid"
    •   

6. Doxylamine(Unisom) and diphenhydramine(Benadryl) are the two common OTC drugs. They work, but you build a tolerance after a few weeks, so melatonin is the best solution for chronic sleeplessness. It doesn't work for everyone though. There are a lot of herbal combo products at the healthfood store that have valerian and kava in them plus chamolile and a butch of others. Also DMAE help me to relax, but doesn't promote sleep, just vasodilation. I take 250mg every night.

7. 6mg Melatonin works for me.

8. L-theanine for "herbal" remedy. Valerian and kava didn't really do much for me.

9. I always take 3mg of Melatonin and get good results

10. Melatonin works wonders for me also. I wouldnt recommend taking it every night as I heard it can shut down the natural production of it. I usually take it for nights when I'm going to get more than normal sleep so I can get into that really deep sleep. The dreams are pretty damn nice on this stuff also.

11. Quote Originally Posted by FunkMasterFlex
    valerian, kava kava, Theanine, 5-htp
    Valerian sucks, kava kava is crap. Never tried Theanine. 5-htp will only help you relax for about a half hour.

12. Quote Originally Posted by scott72
    Melatonin works wonders for me also. I wouldnt recommend taking it every night as I heard it can shut down the natural production of it. I usually take it for nights when I'm going to get more than normal sleep so I can get into that really deep sleep. The dreams are pretty damn nice on this stuff also.
    I only take it if i really need it, which usually is no more then 2-3 times a week. I never get the vivid dreams though....

13. For me, theanine doesn't discourage caffiene overstimulation like it's suppose to. It does seem to boost immunity a little. As far as melatonin, it's a MAOI, so vivid dreams or weird effects could occur. Really depends on the individual, and dose is the main variable IMO.

14. Quote Originally Posted by Wedgylx
    I always take 3mg of Melatonin and get good results
    me too, on the 3mg, although I was thinking of cutting that in half. I seem a little groggy in the morning and research I read says you shouldn't. Lower dose until you wake up rested AND revived. 3mg though definitely puts me out!

15. Quote Originally Posted by jeremiah1710
    me too, on the 3mg, although I was thinking of cutting that in half. I seem a little groggy in the morning and research I read says you shouldn't. Lower dose until you wake up rested AND revived. 3mg though definitely puts me out!
    anything less than 2-3mg doesnt even get me to sleep but naturally use the smallest effective dose.

16. Melatonin is probably one of my favorite supps (cheapest too). I take 6mg every night. Occasionally I will forget and I usually wake up 2-3 times during the night, but with melatonin its out like a light. Bobo posted a study a while back that showed 10mg of melatonin a night stimulates growth hormone secretion.

link:
    http://www.anabolicminds.com/forum/s...ghlight=mel%2A

17. ZMA makes me sleep like a baby, but I have friends who it doesn't do anything for. Good Kava can also help but for the money ZMA and/or Melatonin would be first.

18. 4 slices of turkey and a glass of milk....oohh yeah and a shot of booty !...sleep like a baby !

19. Quote Originally Posted by big_D
    4 slices of turkey and a glass of milk....oohh yeah and a shot of booty !...sleep like a baby !
    HAHA, I had a girlfriend that used to respond well to tryptiphan too, before they banned it. You could probably do the same w/ 5-OH but you'd need at least 250-500mg. All I see is 50mg caps. That would get expensive.

20. Bump on ZMA, that helps me get to sleep quicker when I'm on it. I've also used Melatonin before with good results.

21. where do you get Melatonin and or ZMA from?

22. Nutraplanet has melatonin, 3mg 100 tabs, for $1.50.

23. Quote Originally Posted by NevrEnuf
    where do you get Melatonin and or ZMA from?
    Pretty much every online supplement store, or dare I say if necessary go to GNC.

24. my housemate swears by valarian root, it doesn't do **** for me though.

25. Quote Originally Posted by R6Speed
    Nutraplanet has melatonin, 3mg 100 tabs, for $1.50.
    That's a really great price, if it works.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. I need a sleep aid
    By paul3371 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 01-12-2006, 05:52 PM
  2. Novedex XT plus Sleep Aid.....????
    By TheStud121 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-28-2005, 09:31 PM
  3. Place to get vicoden or pers. sleep aids.
    By Slick2oo4 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-16-2004, 12:32 AM
  4. what is a good sleep-aid?
    By hamper19 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 04-10-2003, 03:33 PM