Value of taking Calcium

bakerwil

Banned
Awards
Just finishing a bottle of Calcium that also adds vitamin D, Magnesium and Zinc to each cap.
Vitamin D: I take 5-10 thousand IU of vitamin D daily - so I think I am covered.

My question: Is supplementing with Calcium, Magnesium and Zinc of much value?
If so, can you tell me how you go about covering these bases (one supplement, multiple supplements, dosing).

Thanks for your opinion....

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Calcium, magnesium, and zinc all compete for the same transporter, so I wouldn't take them together. I think calcium supplementation is extremely underrated for a variety of reasons, as long as proper magnesium balance is maintained

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Calcium, magnesium, and zinc all compete for the same transporter, so I wouldn't take them together. I think calcium supplementation is extremely underrated for a variety of reasons, as long as proper magnesium balance is maintained

A nephrologist told me to avoid excess calcium with bodybuilding.. I can't remember the exact reason but isn't calcium a phosphate binder which builds up in renal impairment?

Mike

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
A nephrologist told me to avoid excess calcium with bodybuilding.. I can't remember the exact reason but isn't calcium a phosphate binder which builds up in renal impairment?

Mike
I'm not recommending supraphysiological doses here, just corrective amounts. Many people are deficient due to poor dietary absorption.

But I'd imagine his "bodybuilder" recommendation was borne from the fact that calcium could increase the risk of sudden cardiac death in people using compounds like clenbuterol, ECA, etc

bakerwil

Banned
Awards
Thank you Mr. Cooper.
What do you recommend for dosing Calcium, magnesium, and zinc?

veaderko

veaderko

Awards
So would taking CalMag not be beneficial? I usually take it before bed along with a mineral supplement too. But would that be to much and a waist?

sorry not to highjack, but after reading this I didnt feel it would be right to create another forum post