Making Protein Bars...

Edge

Awards
Im planning on making some protein bars with whey protein, oats, eggs, glutamine and various other ingredients..

If I decided to add CLA into it, would the oil be stable or does it denature?
No heat is being used in the process of making them...

Wedgylx

Wedgylx

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Im planning on making some protein bars with whey protein, oats, eggs, glutamine and various other ingredients..

If I decided to add CLA into it, would the oil be stable or does it denature?
No heat is being used in the process of making them...
How exactly are you making them? have you made them before, and if you have hows the flavor? I want to make a batch before i go back to school.

Edge

Awards
How exactly are you making them? have you made them before, and if you have hows the flavor? I want to make a batch before i go back to school.

They come out fairly well...Typical protein bar recipe is oats, PB, and protein powder but get creative. Im trying to make a lower fat one.

Probably 40 grams protein, 40 grams carbs, 7 grams fat....

Make a big batch, then lay it out on a flat pan and put it in the fridge for a while, then cut them into bars and wrap them in saran.

Wedgylx

Wedgylx

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I'll try it out now actually
I figure mine to be

Cals - 329
Fat- 8g
Carbs - 35g
Protien - 28g

I used 6tbs natural peanutbutter, 6 scoops egg/whey protein blend, 1/2 cup Ground flax seed, 5 cups oats, 8 egg whites - baked for 25 minutes . I'll let you know how they taste.

I think I'm going to add a few more scoops of protein to bring the protein tally to around 35-40g

Edge

Awards
I figure mine to be

Cals - 329
Fat- 8g
Carbs - 35g
Protien - 28g

I used 6tbs natural peanutbutter, 6 scoops egg/whey protein blend, 1/2 cup Ground flax seed, 5 cups oats, 8 egg whites - baked for 25 minutes . I'll let you know how they taste.
Ive never baked them before man sorry if I didnt mention that,

Max32

Max32

Awards
  • Established
some Lohan syrup would be a good addition, or some of the low cal, sugar free maple syrups. I also typically add some splenda in there as well as vanilla extract.

Edge

Awards
I used the following today...

2Lbs Whey Protein
4 Tablespoons Honey
2 Cups Oats (Dry)
Heaps of Glutamine
12 Eggs

Made 10 bars

Rebel

Banned
Awards
  • Established

2Lbs Whey Protein
4 Tablespoons Honey
2 Cups Oats (Dry)
Heaps of Glutamine
12 Eggs

Made 10 bars
2 pounds of protein! how did u get them to work can u write out how you made them?

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established

2Lbs Whey Protein
4 Tablespoons Honey
2 Cups Oats (Dry)
Heaps of Glutamine
12 Eggs

Made 10 bars

I am suprised that 2 tablespoons of honey and 12 eggs was enough moisture to make them stick together. I don't know as I would want to eat uncooked eggs after they were cracked open and left to sit for a few days, or did you cook them YUK :). And I eat 18 raw eggs a day.

CROWLER

Edge

Awards
I am suprised that 2 tablespoons of honey and 12 eggs was enough moisture to make them stick together. I don't know as I would want to eat uncooked eggs after they were cracked open and left to sit for a few days, or did you cook them YUK :). And I eat 18 raw eggs a day.

CROWLER
Oh sorry man I keep forgetting steps lol, I added milk to bring it all together.

I had to use two bowls to make this happen. I thought in my mind to roughly have 10 grams glutamine per bar so I threw that in with my whey protein and my oats, throw in the eggs, and the honey. ( I split this evenly in two bowels). Then with my hands I start mixing the **** together and add enough milk for it to come together into a thick mix. Spray some non stick in the pan. Then lay the mix in the pan( thats about an inch deep). flatten the mix out so its even. Put it in the freezer so it begins to harden slightly so you can cut it. Maybe for an hour or 2 then take it out, cut it up, and wrap them in saran. Then just fridge them.

CROWLER

CROWLER

Awards
  • Established
Oh sorry man I keep forgetting steps lol, I added milk to bring it all together.

I had to use two bowls to make this happen. I thought in my mind to roughly have 10 grams glutamine per bar so I threw that in with my whey protein and my oats, throw in the eggs, and the honey. ( I split this evenly in two bowels). Then with my hands I start mixing the **** together and add enough milk for it to come together into a thick mix. Spray some non stick in the pan. Then lay the mix in the pan( thats about an inch deep). flatten the mix out so its even. Put it in the freezer so it begins to harden slightly so you can cut it. Maybe for an hour or 2 then take it out, cut it up, and wrap them in saran. Then just fridge them.
You are going to make someone a VERY nice wife someday.

HA just kidding. Actually most days I am too lazy to mix up some crystal light.

I think if I left out the eggs this would work well to bring on the road with me.

Cool thanks

CROWLER

Wedgylx

Wedgylx

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Ive never baked them before man sorry if I didnt mention that,
you did mention it. I never actually got a chance to add the eggs and bake them after i posted. I might not bake them either since i got pasteurized egg whites.

CROWLER

CROWLER

Awards
  • Established
I wouldn't bake protein powder. I think it might affect the potency of it. Don't know for sure, just wouldn't risk it.

CROWLER

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
I wouldn't bake protein powder. I think it might affect the potency of it. Don't know for sure, just wouldn't risk it.

CROWLER
Cooking would pre-digest it to an extent, so there would be more BCAA's and free aminos in it. That's good if you want fast action (like post w/o) but bad if you want something that sticks for 4 hours in your system.

You eat 18 raw eggs/d !! Wow. I bet your zinc levels are nice and high. Your probably completely resistant to all forms of salmonella too :) I used to do it w/ OG and vanilla extract, Hhhmmmmmm