Best Supps for saving muscle while cutting

  1. Registered User
    cgb6810's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Age
    51
    Posts
    16
    Rep Power
    127

    Best Supps for saving muscle while cutting


    I'm going to compete for the first time this April and Im really concerned about losing muscle while cutting. I've never been below 10% BF before. My trainer is pretty agressive and has gotten some other local masters competitors below 4% in the past.

    My official diet starts Jan 16th, but since I already have the plan from my trainer Im easing into it. Dieting sucks!! The diet consists of all whole food, no shakes or meal replacements. At this point there are no cutting supps included in the program.

    The plan includes supplementing with Glutamine and BCAA's but that's about it. I would appreciate any recommendations on supps targeted at saving muscle while cutting.

    TIA
    Chris

  2. Board Supporter
    doggzj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Age
    30
    Posts
    952
    Rep Power
    595

    Clen? I don't use it but I'm pretty sure that's a good choice.
  3. Board Supporter
    oldfart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Age
    52
    Posts
    254
    Rep Power
    253

    Quote Originally Posted by cgb6810
    I'm going to compete for the first time this April and Im really concerned about losing muscle while cutting. I've never been below 10% BF before. My trainer is pretty agressive and has gotten some other local masters competitors below 4% in the past.

    My official diet starts Jan 16th, but since I already have the plan from my trainer Im easing into it. Dieting sucks!! The diet consists of all whole food, no shakes or meal replacements. At this point there are no cutting supps included in the program.

    The plan includes supplementing with Glutamine and BCAA's but that's about it. I would appreciate any recommendations on supps targeted at saving muscle while cutting.

    TIA
    Chris
    Why no protein powder?
    •   
       

  4. Registered User
    cgb6810's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Age
    51
    Posts
    16
    Rep Power
    127

    I asked my trainer a while back about clen but he said it was banned as this is a natural contest. I suspect if the weight is not coming off we may add some type of fat burner if needed.

    He also said food is more thermogenic then a protein shake. The diet has ample amounts of protein in the 6 daily meals, so I don't think I will be lacking protein. I usually take in 2 shakes a day in place of food, but this program will eliminate that.

    He even told me I can't put ice cream in my oatmeal anymore You know, it cools it down and makes it nice and creamy. Oh well, I will get used to eating plain oatmeal.
  5. Registered User
    OmarJackson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    31
    Posts
    673
    Rep Power
    466

    ephedrine and caffeine i believe are somewhat muscle sparring, at least thats what i've heard anecdotally.

    btw, nice avatar. whats that tape measure stretch at?
  6. Registered User
    cgb6810's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Age
    51
    Posts
    16
    Rep Power
    127

    Quote Originally Posted by OmarJackson
    ephedrine and caffeine i believe are somewhat muscle sparring, at least thats what i've heard anecdotally.

    With the exception of a couple of cups of coffee in the morning that is all the fatburners I will be taking, unless I can't keep on schedule.


    btw, nice avatar. whats that tape measure stretch at?
    Thanks. It measures just over 18" flexed and bout 17" hanging cold. I took that and posted on BB.com for an arm comparison thread. When I get down to 5% or so, I will update the avatar with a full upper body.
  7. Registered User
    Edge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    169
    Rep Power
    218

    Quote Originally Posted by cgb6810
    Thanks. It measures just over 18" flexed and bout 17" hanging cold. I took that and posted on BB.com for an arm comparison thread. When I get down to 5% or so, I will update the avatar with a full upper body.
    Depending on what time your trying to get this done by, the clen might not be detectable by the time your done........
  8. Registered User
    bioman's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Age
    42
    Posts
    7,698
    Rep Power
    513131

    I'm dropping weight like crazy on Clen and Lean Xtreme. Muscles are losing some volume but much of that is due to coming off a really wet cycle.
  9. SJA
    SJA is offline
    dead sexy wino
    SJA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    the nearest overpass
    Age
    50
    Posts
    2,054
    Rep Power
    8149

    Quote Originally Posted by Edge
    Depending on what time your trying to get this done by, the clen might not be detectable by the time your done........

    Natural shows test with lie detectors
  10. Registered User
    cgb6810's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Age
    51
    Posts
    16
    Rep Power
    127

    Im not so worried about losing enough weight. I've got 15 weeks before contest. I just don't want to lose the muscle while losing the fat.

    I have BCAA and glutamine and Im taking in lots of protein. I was thinking about supplementing with NAC? Just wondering if there are any supplements geared at saving muscle while cutting. Keeping in mind this is a natural contest. That means no Clen or Ephedra.
  11. Registered User
    Grant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    USA
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,016
    Rep Power
    712

    HMB is really good for this, but can get expensive. Also, BCAA's are good for muscle sparing.
  12. Registered User
    OmarJackson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    31
    Posts
    673
    Rep Power
    466

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant
    HMB is really good for this, but can get expensive. Also, BCAA's are good for muscle sparing.
    any reccomendation on BCAA brand, because i know the processing in some really decreases the quality. or Is it best to get the 3 amino acids in bulk seperatly and mix them myself?
  13. Registered User
    T-Bone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northeastern United States
    Posts
    15,475
    Rep Power
    4173039

    Quote Originally Posted by cgb6810
    I'm going to compete for the first time this April and Im really concerned about losing muscle while cutting. I've never been below 10% BF before. My trainer is pretty agressive and has gotten some other local masters competitors below 4% in the past.

    My official diet starts Jan 16th, but since I already have the plan from my trainer Im easing into it. Dieting sucks!! The diet consists of all whole food, no shakes or meal replacements. At this point there are no cutting supps included in the program.

    The plan includes supplementing with Glutamine and BCAA's but that's about it. I would appreciate any recommendations on supps targeted at saving muscle while cutting.

    TIA
    Chris
    I agree about taking in all whole food. Our bodies are not meant to digest shakes and pills. They are meant to digest real food. It takes more calories burned just to digest real food. The tougher the food, the more chewing, the more calories burned. This is what is called the thermic effect.
  14. MMA
    MMA is offline
    Member
    MMA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Age
    37
    Posts
    29
    Rep Power
    0

    CEE could help as well.
  15. Registered User
    OmarJackson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    31
    Posts
    673
    Rep Power
    466

    Quote Originally Posted by T-Bone
    I agree about taking in all whole food. Our bodies are not meant to digest shakes and pills. They are meant to digest real food. It takes more calories burned just to digest real food. The tougher the food, the more chewing, the more calories burned. This is what is called the thermic effect.
    real food also keeps you fuller while dieting. IMO powders and shakes should only be used for conveniance, not reliance.
  16. Registered User
    cgb6810's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Age
    51
    Posts
    16
    Rep Power
    127

    Quote Originally Posted by MMA
    CEE could help as well.

    I forgot to mention Im also taking CEE. It's the only creatine supp Ive found that doesnt bother my stomach.

    I ordered some Leptigen Basic to try also. I've read some good reviews and some not so good reviews on this. Oh well, I will try it.

    Thanks for your help guys. I think I pretty much have all my bases covered. It it wasn't my first time cutting I probably wouldn't be so concerned. I just don't want to lose any muscle I worked so hard to get.

    Chris
  17. Registered User
    Grant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    USA
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,016
    Rep Power
    712

    Quote Originally Posted by OmarJackson
    any reccomendation on BCAA brand, because i know the processing in some really decreases the quality. or Is it best to get the 3 amino acids in bulk seperatly and mix them myself?
    I like ICE by Xtreme Formulations, doesnt taste all that bad either. I have also bought unflavord BCAA's in bulk from protien customizer, but I dont think they sell it anymore.

    http://www.nutraplanet.com/product_i...roducts_id=292 SMALL ICE

    http://www.nutraplanet.com/product_i...roducts_id=144 LARGE ICE
  18. Gold Member
    RobInKuwait's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  269 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Hanover, MD
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,291
    Rep Power
    1271

    Have you thought about trying some natural test enhancers like 6oxo, long jack, or tribulus? I'm not sure how much effective they'd be, but it'd be worth a try.
  19. Registered User
    BryanM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Age
    31
    Posts
    866
    Rep Power
    559

    I would say mix some natty test enhancers with bulk hmb powder and it will be sufficient. You cannot use stimulants for fat loss? this is news to me
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Best supps for cutting/recomp
    By BigGame84 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 66
    Last Post: 07-01-2013, 04:42 PM
  2. Supp for holding muscle while cutting????
    By Rugger in forum Supplements
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-02-2012, 12:37 AM
  3. Best Supp For Muscle Soreness?
    By bassgod272 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 07-08-2008, 10:01 AM
  4. best supps for reducing fat gains while bulking
    By acecombact1 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 01-19-2008, 05:02 PM
  5. igf for maintaining muscles while cutting?
    By th0m in forum IGF-1/GH
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-11-2005, 01:52 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in