Best Supps for saving muscle while cutting

cgb6810

Awards
I'm going to compete for the first time this April and Im really concerned about losing muscle while cutting. I've never been below 10% BF before. My trainer is pretty agressive and has gotten some other local masters competitors below 4% in the past.

My official diet starts Jan 16th, but since I already have the plan from my trainer Im easing into it. Dieting sucks!! The diet consists of all whole food, no shakes or meal replacements. At this point there are no cutting supps included in the program.

The plan includes supplementing with Glutamine and BCAA's but that's about it. I would appreciate any recommendations on supps targeted at saving muscle while cutting.

TIA
Chris

doggzj

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Clen? I don't use it but I'm pretty sure that's a good choice.

oldfart

oldfart

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I'm going to compete for the first time this April and Im really concerned about losing muscle while cutting. I've never been below 10% BF before. My trainer is pretty agressive and has gotten some other local masters competitors below 4% in the past.

My official diet starts Jan 16th, but since I already have the plan from my trainer Im easing into it. Dieting sucks!! The diet consists of all whole food, no shakes or meal replacements. At this point there are no cutting supps included in the program.

The plan includes supplementing with Glutamine and BCAA's but that's about it. I would appreciate any recommendations on supps targeted at saving muscle while cutting.

TIA
Chris
Why no protein powder?

cgb6810

Awards
I asked my trainer a while back about clen but he said it was banned as this is a natural contest. I suspect if the weight is not coming off we may add some type of fat burner if needed.

He also said food is more thermogenic then a protein shake. The diet has ample amounts of protein in the 6 daily meals, so I don't think I will be lacking protein. I usually take in 2 shakes a day in place of food, but this program will eliminate that.

He even told me I can't put ice cream in my oatmeal anymore :thumbsup: You know, it cools it down and makes it nice and creamy. Oh well, I will get used to eating plain oatmeal.

OmarJackson

Awards
  • Established
ephedrine and caffeine i believe are somewhat muscle sparring, at least thats what i've heard anecdotally.

btw, nice avatar. whats that tape measure stretch at?

cgb6810

Awards
ephedrine and caffeine i believe are somewhat muscle sparring, at least thats what i've heard anecdotally.

With the exception of a couple of cups of coffee in the morning that is all the fatburners I will be taking, unless I can't keep on schedule.

btw, nice avatar. whats that tape measure stretch at?
Thanks. It measures just over 18" flexed and bout 17" hanging cold. I took that and posted on BB.com for an arm comparison thread. When I get down to 5% or so, I will update the avatar with a full upper body.

Edge

Awards
Thanks. It measures just over 18" flexed and bout 17" hanging cold. I took that and posted on BB.com for an arm comparison thread. When I get down to 5% or so, I will update the avatar with a full upper body.
Depending on what time your trying to get this done by, the clen might not be detectable by the time your done........

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I'm dropping weight like crazy on Clen and Lean Xtreme. Muscles are losing some volume but much of that is due to coming off a really wet cycle.

SJA

SJA

dead sexy wino
Awards
  • Established
Depending on what time your trying to get this done by, the clen might not be detectable by the time your done........

Natural shows test with lie detectors :nono:

cgb6810

Awards
Im not so worried about losing enough weight. I've got 15 weeks before contest. I just don't want to lose the muscle while losing the fat.

I have BCAA and glutamine and Im taking in lots of protein. I was thinking about supplementing with NAC? Just wondering if there are any supplements geared at saving muscle while cutting. Keeping in mind this is a natural contest. That means no Clen or Ephedra.

Grant

Awards
  • Established
HMB is really good for this, but can get expensive. Also, BCAA's are good for muscle sparing.

OmarJackson

Awards
  • Established
HMB is really good for this, but can get expensive. Also, BCAA's are good for muscle sparing.
any reccomendation on BCAA brand, because i know the processing in some really decreases the quality. or Is it best to get the 3 amino acids in bulk seperatly and mix them myself?

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

TIA
Chris
I agree about taking in all whole food. Our bodies are not meant to digest shakes and pills. They are meant to digest real food. It takes more calories burned just to digest real food. The tougher the food, the more chewing, the more calories burned. This is what is called the thermic effect.

OmarJackson

Awards
  • Established
I agree about taking in all whole food. Our bodies are not meant to digest shakes and pills. They are meant to digest real food. It takes more calories burned just to digest real food. The tougher the food, the more chewing, the more calories burned. This is what is called the thermic effect.
real food also keeps you fuller while dieting. IMO powders and shakes should only be used for conveniance, not reliance.

cgb6810

Awards
CEE could help as well.

I forgot to mention Im also taking CEE. It's the only creatine supp Ive found that doesnt bother my stomach.

I ordered some Leptigen Basic to try also. I've read some good reviews and some not so good reviews on this. Oh well, I will try it.

Thanks for your help guys. I think I pretty much have all my bases covered. It it wasn't my first time cutting I probably wouldn't be so concerned. I just don't want to lose any muscle I worked so hard to get.

Chris

Grant

Awards
  • Established
any reccomendation on BCAA brand, because i know the processing in some really decreases the quality. or Is it best to get the 3 amino acids in bulk seperatly and mix them myself?
I like ICE by Xtreme Formulations, doesnt taste all that bad either. I have also bought unflavord BCAA's in bulk from protien customizer, but I dont think they sell it anymore.

http://www.nutraplanet.com/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=36&products_id=292 SMALL ICE

http://www.nutraplanet.com/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=36&products_id=144 LARGE ICE

RobInKuwait

RobInKuwait

Awards
  • Established
Have you thought about trying some natural test enhancers like 6oxo, long jack, or tribulus? I'm not sure how much effective they'd be, but it'd be worth a try.

BryanM

Awards
  • Established
I would say mix some natty test enhancers with bulk hmb powder and it will be sufficient. You cannot use stimulants for fat loss? this is news to me