If its good enough for horses...? GTFIH

AdonisBelt

AdonisBelt

Awards
Hey gang!

First off, I'd like to get out a few disclaimers: ***I am not a rep. ***I am not paid to promote this. ***I'm not promoting anything. ***If this is the wrong section of the forums, my sincerest apologies!!!

Alright, now to what I actually wanted to talk about. So recently, I began cutting, and I wanted to avoid deficiencies, and after tracking ALL of my foods down to the gram it appeared I was lacking in POTASSIUM, which is critical for lifters, especially on a diet- (YOU WANT TO AVOID RHABDOMYALISIS, potassium defficiencies are usually the cause!).

This lead me to looking for supplements, since I was short by around 3g- yes, 3g. I shopped around for a while and all I could find, at the strongest, were some 80-500mg pills that were pretty expensive. Luckily, I found an awesome website.

I ended up buying 4 POUNDS of potassium chloride for $7.50. Additionally, there were a LOT of other supps from bcaa blends to painkillers to weight gainers that were at a decent price, with no fillers or BS.

The catch? ... Eh, it was kind of a site directed towards horses.

I just wanted to let people know about this, because despite my efforts I couldn't find anything that compares at ALL to the deals they have on here for athletic supps, and other "things" like they have here. Until I hear it is OK to do otherwise, I will withhold the website's name.

If interested, anyone is more than welcome to PM me!

Cheers!

Sulor32

Sulor32

Awards
you can get cheap vet grade B12 injection aswell 50ml-100ml etc ....if interested

heavylifter33

heavylifter33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Directly supplementing potassium is dumb. Best of luck with your hospitalization goals in 2013.

Vinnyboombots

Vinnyboombots

Awards
Why not just eat some bananas? ? Lol

AdonisBelt

AdonisBelt

Awards
Directly supplementing potassium is dumb. Best of luck with your hospitalization goals in 2013.
Its called measuring. Its not hard, and if most of my carbs come from rice and lentils cus I'm an independent college student I don't see a problem.

The lethal dose of potassium chloride is 2500mgs per kg of body weight in 30 seconds. There is roughly 400mgs of potassium in one decent sized banana. So someone of my weight (108.862 kg) would have to eat approx 272155 mg (THATS OVER HALF A POUND) to reach the lethal dose of potassium! CRAZY! this has to be done in 30secs because if you do it over time your kidneys naturally will excrete the excess potassium

I'm currently getting cramps from not enough so piss off mate :)

AdonisBelt

AdonisBelt

Awards
450 mg of potassium/medium bananna... i need 4.5g a day...... 10 bananas a day? I'd rather just measure out a tablespoon and put it on my food.

AdonisBelt

AdonisBelt

Awards
DipStrong

DipStrong

Awards
Or sweet potatoes....google it.

*edit: Yeah, 1 cup of sweet potatoes is 450mg potassium. And sweet potatoes are cheap, tasty, healthy and versatile. *

*edit #2: do you take a multi that has potassium in it? You could also drink Gatorade or powerade daily. Powered Gatorade is super cheap.*

AdonisBelt

AdonisBelt

Awards
Or sweet potatoes....google it.

*edit: Yeah, 1 cup of sweet potatoes is 450mg potassium. And sweet potatoes are cheap, tasty, healthy and versatile. *

*edit #2: do you take a multi that has potassium in it? You could also drink Gatorade or powerade daily. Powered Gatorade is super cheap.*

I just want something, thats not food, so I can get FOR SURE EXACTLY how much is optimal. I don't see why there is so much friction against this idea... and its way cheaper.

DipStrong

DipStrong

Awards
I just want something, thats not food, so I can get FOR SURE EXACTLY how much is optimal. I don't see why there is so much friction against this idea... and its way cheaper.
I thought K-HCL was toxic as compared to dietary potassium....could very well be wrong. If it works well, let me know, my potassium is usually a little low.

AdonisBelt

AdonisBelt

Awards
I thought K-HCL was toxic as compared to dietary potassium....could very well be wrong. If it works well, let me know, my potassium is usually a little low.
luckily your wrong mate :) its the standard form of prescribed potassium supps.

DipStrong

DipStrong

Awards
luckily your wrong mate :) its the standard form of prescribed potassium supps.
Just looked it up on Epocrates, lol. Yeah, you're good to go! Just buy a mg scale...like the kind that coke runners use. Not that I would know....

AdonisBelt

AdonisBelt

Awards
Just looked it up on Epocrates, lol. Yeah, you're good to go! Just buy a mg scale...like the kind that coke runners use. Not that I would know....
LOL.

blacklac

blacklac

Awards
I can't understand how your diet is so deficient that you need 3g of SUPPLEMENTAL potassium. Sounds a bit over the top. Especially since Potassium isn't required on nutrition labels.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I've read some of the K recommendations put out by the Linus Pauling Institute (yeah, I know) and they say you need upwards of 4 grams. They recommend K-bicarbonate at a total of 12 grams daily, which yields 4 grams K.

I've used this, though not at the full 12 grams, and it's kinda nice. You get alkalized, lets my muscles and mind relax, and I have fewer aches and pains.

I've been meaning to start a thread about it, but hey..why not hijack someone else's:)

AdonisBelt

AdonisBelt

Awards
I can't understand how your diet is so deficient that you need 3g of SUPPLEMENTAL potassium. Sounds a bit over the top. Especially since Potassium isn't required on nutrition labels.
Despite where this thread has been heading, bear in mind what this thread was for... to help source cheap bulk sups for those looking for them. We are all entitled to our opinions. I have read extensively into nutrition and have taken a variety of college courses on the matter. For my particular situation, this is what I think would be advantageous.

Grambo

Grambo

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Interestingly enough I've seen the same thing with my diet. Count everything and it seems I come in low on potassium every day.

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I've had low potassium come back quite frequently as well.

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I supplement in 500mg-1g max of K a day but I know I eat the rest in food. Messing with K levels is a no no. Pushing unusual amounts of K into to your body is aaahhh no gewdddds

AdonisBelt

AdonisBelt

Awards
I supplement in 500mg-1g max of K a day but I know I eat the rest in food. Messing with K levels is a no no. Pushing unusual amounts of K into to your body is aaahhh no gewdddds

I am constantly hearing this hyped paranoia about potassium, when ironically the more I read about it the more I realize its not that risky at all, and further, most peoples diets lack enough.

In fact, the whole scare of high sodium is not because of having too much sodium- sodium is good for your body, its the RATIO of salt to potassium that is wonky. This whole scare (of sodium being bad, and potassium being scary) is a perpetuated ~40 year old myth that just blankets the real issue (the potassium : sodium ratio)

Additionally, lots of data supports the fact that high amounts of potassium actually benefit a male hormone profile (more GH I remember reading about specifically in recent months)

EarMoar, refer to one of my first posts where I talk about how much it takes to actually become toxic. I mean, you OD quicker on caffeine, yet the fitness community loves dem der pre-workouts and fat burners (that are predominately caffeine based)

boatnerj

Awards
Waiting for input from the all might cooper....

Montego1

Montego1

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
That one guy eats thirty bananas a day..... its b a n a n a s...its bananas!

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
Despite where this thread has been heading, bear in mind what this thread was for... to help source cheap bulk sups for those looking for them..
while I can appreciate your course of action here, you are also on a forum with paid sponsors, who provide this website to you..
taking ppl away from it to look for "cheap" supps elsewhere (not to mention "off-label" use, since you are on a horse site) may be frowned upon in some circles :)

not a whole lot of difference between pot hcl and pot gluconate, but I opt for the latter..
also - keep in mind that the body keeps potassium levels within a very narrow range so the nervous system can function properly, and yes while healthy kidney can clear the excess from the body sufficiently, if you have any kidney health issues however, this can not occur and you are a heart attack waiting to happen

general advise is to not supplement w/ potassium w/o a doctors guidance - and especially the level you are speaking of

in any event - interesting topic

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Bananas are very different from potassium supplements, kinetically. What you're advocating is irresponsible and dangerous, and quite frankly, I think this thread should be removed before you give anyone potentially lethal ideas.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
there is just something about the feeling i get with a banana in my mouth

JDog479

Awards
In all honesty though. Get your potassium and the majority of nutrients for that matter from food. Nutrient-ism has taken over our diet and given us a skewed sense of healthy eating. We supplement for nutrients we are lacking while in reality we could just be eating more actual food to get what we need. With the added benefit of the other vitamins in them. Believe it or not potassium alone doesn't work as well as potassium and the other host of things that are in, say, a sweet potato.

End rant.

AdonisBelt

AdonisBelt

Awards
Bananas are very different from potassium supplements, kinetically. What you're advocating is irresponsible and dangerous, and quite frankly, I think this thread should be removed before you give anyone potentially lethal ideas.
Lol I wasn't advocating anyone do what I did, people just derailed the topic and made it all about what I mentioned multiple times to be my own personal choice, and what seems to be appropriate for my diet.

My methodology was nothing but well thought out and pre-planned.

And please, do explain how "kinetically" they are different. Is this because bananas have more weight to them when you throw them? if so, I guess your correct.

AdonisBelt

AdonisBelt

Awards
In all honesty though. Get your potassium and the majority of nutrients for that matter from food. Nutrient-ism has taken over our diet and given us a skewed sense of healthy eating. We supplement for nutrients we are lacking while in reality we could just be eating more actual food to get what we need. With the added benefit of the other vitamins in them. Believe it or not potassium alone doesn't work as well as potassium and the other host of things that are in, say, a sweet potato.

End rant.
Very interesting. But what people are ignoring is the simple fact, as i stated before, that I AM POOR AND CANNOT AFFORD THE LUXERY OF ****ING BANANAS OR SWEET POTATOS MY FRAME HAS A BMR OF 4000 CALS AND THATS NOT CHEAP FFS. THIS IS OBVIOUSLY NOT THE OPTIMAL PROTOCAL BUT IT IS OPTIMAL FOR MY PERSONAL LIFESTYLE AT THE MOMENT.

Ahem, excuse me. For the last time, I am not an idiot. If I am getting this kind of caution for taking potassium as a supplement I'll take note to NEVER log any anabolics...

Fuark people you all come with you strong opinions with complete disregard to the fact that I obviously have heard everything you guys are saying about the risk of BLATANT RECKLESS supplementation of it.

Did you guys forget that I track all of my food on a daily basis and weigh it all out down to the gram? Ish, if you guys really want to make this thread about my personal diet and supplementation decisions I'll link my flippin fitness pal.

AdonisBelt

AdonisBelt

Awards
AdonisBelt

AdonisBelt

Awards
blacklac

blacklac

Awards
Very interesting. But what people are ignoring is the simple fact, as i stated before, that I AM POOR AND CANNOT AFFORD THE LUXERY OF ****ING BANANAS OR SWEET POTATOS MY FRAME HAS A BMR OF 4000 CALS AND THATS NOT CHEAP FFS. THIS IS OBVIOUSLY NOT THE OPTIMAL PROTOCAL BUT IT IS OPTIMAL FOR MY PERSONAL LIFESTYLE AT THE MOMENT.

Ahem, excuse me. For the last time, I am not an idiot. If I am getting this kind of caution for taking potassium as a supplement I'll take note to NEVER log any anabolics...

Fuark people you all come with you strong opinions with complete disregard to the fact that I obviously have heard everything you guys are saying about the risk of BLATANT RECKLESS supplementation of it.

Did you guys forget that I track all of my food on a daily basis and weigh it all out down to the gram? Ish, if you guys really want to make this thread about my personal diet and supplementation decisions I'll link my flippin fitness pal.
Really...

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/company-promotions/230628-insane-pes-insider-3.html#post4023306

AdonisBelt

AdonisBelt

Awards
Really...
Birthday gift. I was reimbursed. remember what happens when you assume!
And thanks for the reality check on my priorities! I'll be sure not to budget around being able to afford sups....

blacklac

blacklac

Awards
How do you know I wasnt implying you should have asked for bananas or sweet potatoes instead of supplements for your birthday?? You know what happens when you assume...

AdonisBelt

AdonisBelt

Awards
How do you know I wasnt implying you should have asked for bananas or sweet potatoes instead of supplements for your birthday?? You know what happens when you assume...
I'm not even gunna argue that frankly dumb and overly argumentitve statement.

The level of scrutiny I'm getting for trying to help people is insane. I feel like I'm being put through the ringer here or am joing a frat. Ish, if I knew trying to help people with similar situations as myself I would attract so many hateful, hostile, and relentless parrots I would of never started this thread.

Since I joined this forum I have been very active and have provided nothing but positive feedback and well-backed information.

People like you make me feel almost backstabbed. /sigh

I'm done responding here. I have gotton the points out that I wanted, particularly that there is a place to buy affordable bulk electrolytes. If people want to continue to attack me with naive and ignorant warnings and assuming ideas that I havn't thought about this choice, they can do so, but they are grossly underestimating someone they know nothing about.

This patronizing and low-estimation of others is shameful. At most, I was hoping this would lead to an (educated) discussion on the supplementation of potassium and studies that go back and forth, but alas, i guess not.

Respect to all those who were aiming at this and have PMed me. Your not all bad people :)

JDog479

Awards

Sorry. I just felt compelled to give my two cents. If you know the risks and how to supplement it then best of luck.

996ttelise

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I must have taken a wring turn somewhere and ended up in the girls supplements for PMS forum.

chris223

Awards
  • Established

Aren't bananas like 69 cents a pound? And if you need 4000 calories for maintenance, wouldn't all those extra carbs and calories be of benefit?

I would like to hear more about these supplements though, especially that mass gainer. =)

sisi1887

Awards
Why do you say you need that much potassium? Isn't the safe sodium/potassium ratio from 2.5:1 to 4:1? That's easily achievable from whole foods.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
And please, do explain how "kinetically" they are different. Is this because bananas have more weight to them when you throw them? if so, I guess your correct.
Potassium pills have the ability to rapidly disintegrate and enter the bloodstream before proper endocrine-dependent tissue delivery can take place. This has potential to cause cardiotoxicity secondary to hyperkalemia.

Bananas pose no such risk because they take hours to digest and absorb.

But alas, if you choose not to heed my advice, we have nothing more than natural selection at play.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Point taken. It appears that even the Linus Pauling Institute people removed that recommendation from their site and no longer advise K supplementation without medical consult/tests.

AdonisBelt

AdonisBelt

Awards
Point taken. It appears that even the Linus Pauling Institute people removed that recommendation from their site and no longer advise K supplementation without medical consult/tests.
I'm just gunna leave this here....
nusalt dot com/faq

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have had potassium prescribed to me by my doctor, so I have some experience with this. You really need a blood test to see if you are deficient. You can't just assume you need so much and take it on your own. That can be extremely dangerous.

blacklac

blacklac

Awards
I'm just gunna leave this here....
nusalt dot com/faq
If you had made this thread and said you wanted to take 1 serving of that a day, this thread would have went totally different. You were throwing around supplementing 3.5-4g.

antihero

antihero

Awards
  • Established
I must have taken a "wring" turn as well. I think I ended up at BB.com where no one discusses anything in a constructive manner or exchanges ideas..they just play know-it-all and pile on someone.
The fact of the matter is this: people throughout this thread have been trying to help this kid. He's arguing with us that he has the best solution. If he already has the best solution and is resistent to advice, why did he bother to all in the first place?

Besides, bananas are dirt cheap.

AdonisBelt

AdonisBelt

Awards
The fact of the matter is this: people throughout this thread have been trying to help this kid. He's arguing with us that he has the best solution. If he already has the best solution and is resistent to advice, why did he bother to all in the first place?

Besides, bananas are dirt cheap.
The facts are this, actually: I'm not a kid. And this thread was never even supposed to be about me. Read the posts. I like that solution though "you have to eat bananas!!!" Another stupidly angry and persistent parrot.

Maybe I'll start a potassium supplementation log... That should be fun

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
I just suggest you take what Cooper said into account.

I'm not sure on how the tablets are formed or the matrix's they used but if they leach out too quickly from the tablet (in high doses) they can kill tissue inside the body. Supplement companies are aware of this and formulate their capsules to ensure they do not secrete too much potassium to quickly.

That is why non-prescription K+ supplements are restricted at ~99mg.

It just doesn't seem like a safe idea to me.

jbryand101b

jbryand101b

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

Counting calories in actuality, gives you completely useless information, because the numbers your counting are most likely ( like 99%) incorrect.

But, it helps some people keep control over eating, or I should say, micro managing their eating, and lead to positive results.

But as far as real accuracy, the numbers you see on a food label are pretty worthless.

Another note, if your so poor, you most likely can't afford a legitimate edee test, done in a laboratory setting, so you bmr is inaccurate as well. Possibility it can be close, depending on which method you use. Most use Harris Benedict, which is outdated, and pretty inaccurate.