Too much Vitamin D?

bakerwil

Banned
Awards
I have been taking Tropinal XP (not too impressed) contains 5000IU per day
Added D-POL about two weeks in and it contains 4000IU per day

Lots of conflicting information out there....
Is 9000IU too much?
What is too much?
There is MS in my family so I take about 4000IU per day (total).

CDMMA

CDMMA

Awards
9000iu is not too much.

FireRescue

Awards
  • Established
9000iu is not too much.
For most people I would agree with this. In a very sunny climate for someone who spends a lot of time outdoors it may be a bit much.

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Lol No worries cause 9000 IU is nothing. Everybody is diffrent but 10 minites of sun light and the body can make 10,000

FireRescue

Awards
  • Established
LEF has found an upper limit of 100 ng/dl to be the maximum desireable level of D. While I dont think most people would exceed this on 9000iu of additional D, I could see scenarious where someone might.

mike0589

mike0589

Awards
I have been taking Tropinal XP (not too impressed) contains 5000IU per day
Added D-POL about two weeks in and it contains 4000IU per day

Lots of conflicting information out there....
Is 9000IU too much?
What is too much?
There is MS in my family so I take about 4000IU per day (total).
You're fine.

Anything around 10,000 IU is still relatively safe and only becomes slightly Hepatoxic.

Keep in mind the body gets 80-90% of it's Vitamin D from sun exposure.

996ttelise

Banned
Awards
  • Established
That daily is not only unhelpful, but harmful in a healthy individual. Actually, is a ridiculous amount for a healthy individual to take that has relatively normal ranges without supplementation.

My wife is a doc and this is her area. Unless you are elderly, postmenopausal and under a doctors supervision, you are only getting risk and no benefit at that amount. New studies are reflecting risk of hypertension and hardening of arteries for people ingesting large doses of supplemental D, and this is a very large dose for a healthy person with relatively normal ranges.

broken bottle

broken bottle

Awards
Seems like a lot to take on a DAILY basis. Maybe drop the dpol and add a daa only supp.

996ttelise

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Lol No worries cause 9000 IU is nothing. Everybody is diffrent but 10 minites of sun light and the body can make 10,000
Your body is able to regulate the amount of D produced from sun exposure so hypercalcemia is not an issue in a healthy individual from sun exposure.

FireRescue

Awards
  • Established
LEF states optimal blood Vit D levels are in the range of 50 to 100 ng/ml. At 100 ng/dl is when they feel there are some possibilities of adverse outcomes. Labcorp's "normal" range is 30 to 100. And it goes without saying that we all are different, but for me taking 50,000 iu a week my blood levels were 58.1 ng/ml.

mike0589

mike0589

Awards
My wife is a doc and this is her area. Unless you are elderly, postmenopausal and under a doctors supervision, you are only getting risk and no benefit at that amount. New studies are reflecting risk of hypertension and hardening of arteries for people ingesting large doses of supplemental D, and this is a very large dose for a healthy person with relatively normal ranges.
That's ironic b/c I personally know physicians who prescribe 10,000 IU on a regular basis.

Amobster

Awards
That's ironic b/c I personally know physicians who prescribe 10,000 IU on a regular basis.
My endo keeps a close eye on my calcium levels @7k iu/day. They've been borderline a few times.

There are definitely negative side effects if you don't have medical need for D supplementation.

iparatroop

iparatroop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm prescribed 50,000iu/wk, by my physician. Thanks Washington State for not having sun.

996ttelise

Banned
Awards
  • Established
If they are doing it without bloods, that would be a deviation from the standard of care. Bloods need to include both calcium, 1 ,25 and magnesium. High levels or upper range if calcium will cause lower levels of D. When body has enough calcuim, less D is needed and levels will drop. That does not mean your deficient. Higher D intake also needs higher magnesium intake to convert D to active form.

Candidly, a lot of doctors don't understand D very well and new research isreflrcting too much is worse than too little. 10,000 ius prescribed by doctors should only being going to geriatrics, post menopausal or a series of bloods confirming need. You take what ever you want, but realize there us no benefit and you may be giving yourself hypertension and cardio vascular issues long term. Seriously, there are a lot of jacked people on here who take supps like this thinking it's good cause bro science says. Then you see some if these same guys asking got supps to help with libido while in there 20s because they are so jacked up.

I fortunate to have a combo endo dietician wife that works with professional athletes to rehab after Dr. andrews and his staff gets done with them and I was a professional athlete under Dr R. Morgans care for more years than I like to admit. She is one of the premier Eropean trained endos in the world who has worked with Russian and now US Olypmic teams since 1980s. Haha, the money I have spent to learn what I am passing on . . .

996ttelise

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Sorry about typos, but in iPhone and it would not scroll when typing and I cannot edit . . .

Mryan1

Awards
I've wondered about this with vitamin D, how much is too much. Good info from 996telise

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I've wondered about this with vitamin D, how much is too much. Good info from 996telise
Not really. He's suggesting that 10000 IUs is negative for health long term but there's really no data to support that. In fact, available data will reveal that 10000 IUs daily for prolonged periods doesn't actually have much if any toxicity issues. What 996telise did intelligently point out is that there is a need for balance of micronutrients in the body. Most of the times in regards to micronutrients, a deficiency in one micronutrient can cause an over abundance in another. Fact of the matter is that very few people are NOT D3 deficient. You can't really get that vitamin through food and you can't really get it from the sun since 1) you literally have to live near the equator and 2) as you get older, your body just simply does not produce the D3 needed via sun exposure. These two factors effectively makes the majority of the world deficient in D3. This is without factoring skin tones (the darker you are, the harder it is for you to get D3 from sun exposure). However, I'm not surprised that 996telise is fear mongering for D3 since it wasn't long ago he was throwing up allegations that Versa-1 contained a pretty strong steroid that wasn't listed on the label (which in turn, is a ludicrous allegation since if that was the case, the product would have cost a bit more and actually had more accute effects).

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Supplements 2
Supplements 4
horizons Supplements 62
Nis1 Supplements 36
Jonbero Supplements 14