Quality Protein Powder

Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last
  1. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  165 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
    I want to try the trutein Shamrock shake. It was only limited edition though. Maybe it will be back.
    I have a jug if it. Pretty tasty. I'd send ya a sample but not sure how that would work.

2. Registered User

quality protein powder

Quote Originally Posted by mw1 View Post
    The Giant Sports choco PB kicks ass!
    I have 2 containers of the Giant Sports PB Choc and it taste unique but
    it taste nothing like PB and I did a taste test with a few people and no one
    guessed PB everyone said it had coffee like flavor. I wanted PB so I was
    disappointed.
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  198 lbs.

Trutein is a favorite, although lately I've been big on Mark Lobliner's MTS whey, lab results from a dude I trust and it tastes awesome and is well priced.
    Rejoice not against me, O mine enemy: when I fall, I shall arise; when I sit in darkness, the LORD shall be a light unto me. Micah 7:8
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  165 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by tilldeath View Post
    Trutein is a favorite, although lately I've been big on Mark Lobliner's MTS whey, lab results from a dude I trust and it tastes awesome and is well priced.
    Was thinking bout trying that out. Big fan of lobiner. You use it post wo?
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  200 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by tilldeath View Post
    I'm a big vanilla fan and just curious if you have tried mr lobliner's MTS vanilla!
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  198 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Montego1 View Post
    Google Dymatize Protein Mint Recall . Failed to meet claims on label when tested.
    Not sure about the whole issue around dymatize, but Lobliner did an independent lab test on them and it lived up to the claims.
    Rejoice not against me, O mine enemy: when I fall, I shall arise; when I sit in darkness, the LORD shall be a light unto me. Micah 7:8
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"   lbs.

Haven't had the PB chocolate from Giant Sports but I know the cookie dough is fantastic, on my second 5 lb. tub of it now.

Trutein is fantastic and my go to for snacks between meals, some flavors are better than others in water though. Cinnabon , vanilla and pumpkin pie are my favorites.

That being said I always have their choc PB cup around as well. Don't like it in water but love it in oatmeal, ice cream, or milk.

Peach mango is arriving for me this week, high hopes for that flavor as well
    Athletix Representative
    Orbit Nutrition Representative;
    Use the code SOCIAL for 10% off your order at Orbit!
  8. hsk

Quote Originally Posted by ndnguy85 View Post
    I think you are confusing QUALITY of protein with TYPE of protein. I don't think the discussion is whether isolates are better than concentrates...

As far as quality isolates..I was going with IsoFlex from Allmax. I switched to blends for the past year (along with intermittent fasting). Trutein, Delicious Protein, Combat Powder, Protean, Hexapro...

I just made an order on True Nutrition for the first time making my own blend based off trutein's. it's 20% egg white isolate, 30% whey isolate and 50% milk protein isolate (40% casein, 10% whey).

EDIT: here's a link that you def read.

What Are Good Sources of Protein? - Speed of Digestion Pt. 1 | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald
    I made something similar for my last order at TrueNutrition. 20% egg white, 25% complete milk dairy isolate (80% casein / 20% whey) and 55% WPI cold filtration. Final ratio is 60% WPI, 20% Casein, 20% Egg.
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  186 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by pete8407 View Post
    Trutein
    Ultra peptid.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
    I'm liking trutein lately. The Chocolate PB is nasty, but the two other flavors I tried were great, Pumpkin, and Cinabun.
    Cinnabun is absolutely amazing!
    Quote Originally Posted by doodv1 View Post
    I've tried Vanilla and Cinnabun flavors from Trutein, it tastes very good.
    Desert!!

Trutein every time!! They care about their customers, good company and great protein! No hype just a phenomenal product. In fact, it's always sold out everywhere!!!!
    Olympus Labs DemiGod And Rep ~ http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/253076-spaniards-coliseum-featuring.html~http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/220023-valdez-goes-back-29.html
  10. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post
    The height of the insulin curve is not as important as the AUC, which varies with the load rather than the index. So no, "speed" of absorption does not matter
    Speed of absorption hinders Bio-availability, correct? Pharmacokinetics?
  11. PESCIENCE.com
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'0"  0 lbs.

Good discussion in here...

The biggest things I care about in a protein is purity and a blend. I personally use a blend of whey and casein post workout.

I dont use a protein powder as my carb source. I just add in my own carbs. They are cheap.

Sometimes I will just mix my whey and casein with 8-12oz of skim milk
    Amino-IV - Not Your Average Amino
    SELECT Protein
    - Ultra-Premium Blend
    ALPHAMINE - Thermogenics...Redefined
  12. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by nattydisaster View Post
    Good discussion in here...

The biggest things I care about in a protein is purity and a blend. I personally use a blend of whey and casein post workout.

I dont use a protein powder as my carb source. I just add in my own carbs. They are cheap.

Sometimes I will just mix my whey and casein with 8-12oz of skim milk
    For sure:

Doing a casein/whey mix with SAN's new proteins.

Would like to include PES protein soon.
    EvoMuse
  13. Registered User

A few years ago I used to buy 5lb of whey and 5lb of casein and would mix them post workout. Haven't bought a jug of casein for about 4 years now and always buy a protein with a blend. Just finished two jugs of Dymatize which were pretty good.

I am sure PES Protein will take over for my protein powder needs when it comes out
  14. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.

Musclefeast bulk protein, Trutein, Optimum Nutrition all quality protein sources.
    ANS Performance Rep.
    www.ansperformance.com / www.facebook.com/TeamANSPerformance
    RITUAL * HIT * FORTITUDE * DILATE
  15. Registered User

I like to mix my proteins. I'll do XF Whey (Arctic Lemonade) mixed with a scoop of XF UP Lemon Cream Pie. This whey I get both my isolates, concentrates, and caseins. Plus it tastes good.

I like mixing VPX SRO Graham Cracker with XP UP Cinnamon Roll. I like having whey too much fun.
  16. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  207 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by BigGame84 View Post
    I like to mix my proteins. I'll do XF Whey (Arctic Lemonade) mixed with a scoop of XF UP Lemon Cream Pie. This whey I get both my isolates, concentrates, and caseins. Plus it tastes good.

I like mixing VPX SRO Graham Cracker with XP UP Cinnamon Roll. I like having whey too much fun.
    I see what you did there
    FINAFLEX REP
    Please visit our website at http://finaflex.com.
    ​" If you're looking for a work house.......I'm no Clydesdale."
  17. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  215 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by hvactech View Post

Hmmm i didnt see that one
    It was in Europe. Why I don't like about the Dymatize issue is they post the test, and where it was tested, but not why and what company sent the bottles to the testing company.

Was it a competitor? Was it truly Dymatizes product.
    Formutech Nutrition Rep --------------Team IronClad Physiques!!!
    www.formutechnutrition.com------------------ NPC Competitor
    www.facebook.com/fnutrition
  18. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.

Jist5 get protein from your food! Cheaper an better
  19. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"   lbs.

Trutein's blend.

Name:  sustainedreleasechart.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  13.7 KB
  20. PESCIENCE.com
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'0"  0 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by domore View Post
    For sure:

Doing a casein/whey mix with SAN's new proteins.

Would like to include PES protein soon.
    With time! Got so much we are working on. We nailed down one flavor...working on a second
    Amino-IV - Not Your Average Amino
    SELECT Protein
    - Ultra-Premium Blend
    ALPHAMINE - Thermogenics...Redefined
  21. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  225 lbs.

WPC is arguably the best protein source as it has the most peptide fractions.

Look into PROnom, excellent flavors, no added glycine/taurine to pad the numbers. Good number of servings as well
    Controlled Labs Warder
    Powercage [at] controlledlabs.com
    FREE Samples: www.controlledlabs.com/freesamplerpack2.php
  22. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by nattydisaster View Post

With time! Got so much we are working on. We nailed down one flavor...working on a second
    Did this white tubs on Facebook contain flavoring samples?

Or, a new product?

Either way, put me down for a truck load.

Quote Originally Posted by Powercage View Post

Look into PROnom, excellent flavors, no added glycine/taurine to pad the numbers. Good number of servings as well
    It's cheaper, too. If one doesn't have any lactose problems, it is really the best value option (instead of purchasing a pure isolate product).
    EvoMuse
  23. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor

WPC Doesn't hold a candle to what MPI offers (best of both worlds) and comparing differences between WPC and WPI is splitting hairs..
  24. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  225 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by USPlabsRep View Post
    WPC Doesn't hold a candle to what MPI offers (best of both worlds) and comparing differences between WPC and WPI is splitting hairs..
    Speaking of splitting hairs
    Controlled Labs Warder
  25. Registered User

But what is up with the first ingredient under "other ingredients":

Nutritional Creamer (Sunflower Oil, Corn Syrup Solids, Sodium Caseinate, Mono & Diglycerides, Dipotassium Phosphate, Tri-Calcium Phosphate and Tocopherols)

This is the 3rd "trick" lobbied in the first post that some sneaky/bad proteins include:

"3. Many add creamers, corn syrup, corn starch, glucose polymers etc which are generally bad for your health"

Googling Corn Syrup Solids, I read the following in a link:

Corn syrup, corn syrup solids, and high fructose corn syrup (as well as crystalline fructose) are all made from corn, and bottom line, all are sugar. So, first off, because theyíre sugar, my opinion is that they are all damaging to your health, just because sugar is so damaging.

Each of these ingredients will give you cravings for more sugar, and foods that list high fructose corn syrup, corn syrup, or fructose as one of their top 4 ingredients are overeating traps. These ingredients actually interfere with a hormone that tells your brain that youíre full! Therefore, itís very common to overeat on foods that contain HFCS (or even the latter two).

Actually, in my experience, itís easy to overeat on foods that contain any kind of processed sugar, or even foods high in natural sugar. The difference with HFCS, corn syrup, and fructose is that they stop the communication between your stomach and your brain until itís too late and youíve already overeaten.
  26. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  225 lbs.

You have yet to realize that the first post is marketing material by a company in this thread, not an actual scientific publication.

That scientific correlation is tenuous at best, even HFCS has been shown to be metabolized in a similar manner as regular fructose.
    Last edited by Powercage; 05-30-2013 at 06:12 PM. Reason: edited for clarification
    Controlled Labs Warder
  27. Registered User

You have yet to realize that the first post is marketing material by a company in this thread, not an actual scientific publication.

That scientific correlation is tenuous at best, even HFCS has been shown to be metabolized in the same manner as regular sugar.
    Actually the first post in the thread is my own, and I'm unaffiliated with anyone. I RECEIVED some marketing material, but was interested not in that particular company's product until it hits the market more and I see pricing and feedback, but in searching the full gamut of the market to see what "healthy" protein powders are already out & are being sold vs. those which use tricks and bad ingredients in their formulas.

I'm sitting on 2 powders that I'm no longer going to use because of the crap I found in them once I actually knew enough to look at the "other ingredients". I only bought them because they were on sale. Now I'm more focused on finding an inexpensive, healthy protein powder.
  28. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  225 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by DCbuilder View Post
    Actually the first post in the thread is my own, and I'm unaffiliated with anyone. I RECEIVED some marketing material, but was interested not in that particular company's product until it hits the market more and I see pricing and feedback, but in searching the full gamut of the market to see what "healthy" protein powders are already out & are being sold vs. those which use tricks and bad ingredients in their formulas.

I'm sitting on 2 powders that I'm no longer going to use because of the crap I found in them once I actually knew enough to look at the "other ingredients". I only bought them because they were on sale. Now I'm more focused on finding an inexpensive, healthy protein powder.

I would be very careful in blindly accepting vague information from a marketing publication as fact.

If you want a "natural" protein, you should really go Kaizen.
    Controlled Labs Warder
  29. Registered User

I would be very careful in blindly accepting vague information from a marketing publication as fact.

I hear you on that, but still, I know barely enough to know that if there are options aside from voluntarily ingesting corn syrup, I'll probably try to find an alternative. Not that I didn't ingest it before, the protein I have now has it in there. But I'd rather avoid it if possible.

In terms of Kaizen, I'll look into it. First search came back that they sell it in Canadian Costcos and I'm seeing some version being sold in *** for $80/5 lbs. Are there any other options to purchase it if you are aware?
  30. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  225 lbs.

I hear you on that, but still, I know barely enough to know that if there are options aside from voluntarily ingesting corn syrup, I'll probably try to find an alternative. Not that I didn't ingest it before, the protein I have now has it in there. But I'd rather avoid it if possible.

In terms of Kaizen, I'll look into it. First search came back that they sell it in Canadian Costcos and I'm seeing some version being sold in *** for $80/5 lbs. Are there any other options to purchase it if you are aware?
    None that I trust that I can think of off hand
    Controlled Labs Warder
  31. Registered User

MRM Natural Whey is an option.
  32. hsk

Heavily marketed products with long write ups should always get extra scrutiny from consumers. Over the years, I have found that some of the simplest and least marketed products and ingredients are usually the hidden gems that give the most bang for the buck.
  33. Registered User
    Stats
    5'6"  165 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by mw1 View Post
    The Giant Sports choco PB kicks ass!
    agreed
    LG Sciences forum representative
    www.lgsciences.com
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/company-promotions/249846-lg-sciences-would.html
  34. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by hvactech View Post
    agreed
    Basically fails all 3. 1st ingredient is misc WPC, includes Taurine as its next largest ingredient aside from protein, and has corn syrup solids
  35. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  225 lbs.

Basically fails all 3. 1st ingredient is misc WPC, includes Taurine as its next largest ingredient aside from protein, and has corn syrup solids

These are extremely poor criteria for judging how good a protein is. Many of the best on the market use WPC.
    Controlled Labs Warder
  36. Registered User

These are extremely poor criteria for judging how good a protein is. Many of the best on the market use WPC.
    Not saying its perfect. But it's 3 criteria. From a health perspective, what would 3 from you be? And not all WPC = bad, several mentioned in this thread as quality powders have WPC as #1 but still look great.
  37. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor

what was vague?
  38. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor

What is good criteria?
  39. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor

That scientific correlation is tenuous at best, even HFCS has been shown to be metabolized in the same manner as regular sugar.
    Are you sure?

before i go on, What is "regular sugar"?
  40. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor

Speaking of splitting hairs
    How so? Digestion rates are totally different and so is composition. Reduce some of the fat and lactose from WPC and you have WPI.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. digestive enzymes for protein powder?
    By Number 5 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-16-2012, 10:53 PM
  2. Can protein powder go bad?
    By Rock Lee in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-11-2004, 10:20 PM
  3. A good weight gainer and protein powder
    By drei in forum Supplements
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-16-2003, 09:36 PM
  4. Cooking w/ Protein Powder