Waxy Maize Timing

F

ForceOneSeven

Awards
Just watched an interview of professional IFBB bodybuilder George Farah. In the video he makes the claim that simple sugars should not be consumed immediately after a workout because it "blocks GH release". Is this bro science or truth? Any studies proving this claim? I ask because I have a bag of waxy maize in my stash that I have yet to use. I was planning on taking it post but if there is a more beneficial time I will opt for that. Thank you for your help.

F

ForceOneSeven

Awards
Or rather do simple sugars have any place in a bodybuilder/ powerlifters diet? Ive been researching but everything I've found seems to be just people's opinions.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Insulin and GH are usually if not always inversely related. Meaning, when insulin is present, GH will be at a minimum. Also, simple sugars aren't the only thing that initiate insulin release from the beta cells of the pancreas. Pretty much anything you ingest will initiate insulin release of different magnitudes.

N

nemix

Awards
I thought I read that having an insulin spike post workout doesn't blunt GH response but delays it until insulin levels go down. I'll see if i can find that source...

heavylifter33

heavylifter33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
This is all mental masturbation for 99% of us. Post bout you do not need to worry about insulin and GH and anything else. Just eat a meal, or don't. Really doesn't matter. You don't need to spike insulin with simple carbs, you do not deplete glycogen enough during a simple weight lifting session. Not to mention protein alone will spike MPS.

C

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I wouldnt think twice about it unless you are shooting exogenous gh, and in that case id avoid carbs for 30 mins.