Making my own Pre Workout - Advice Needed/Welcomed

gboslice

gboslice

Awards
Hi everyone,

So I've been an avid reader of this forum for months now and have learned so much about PH's and the correct way to do a cycle.

I've looked through so many pre-workouts and absolutely sick of the "proprietary blends". So I ordered some essential ingredients to start concocting my own pre-workout drink.

Stats (if needed)
6'2
190-195 LBS
Fairly consistent at 9-11% BF

My goals are to shred up and pack on a few more LBS of muscle. I really enjoy being in the gym so I typically find myself there 6 days a week. I spent the last 6 years competing in MMA, Muay thai and boxing so my body leaned out tremendously (I fought from 168-174lbs) from the old frame I used to carry of 200+lbs. Now I have a torn ACL and growing into a real job so I'm back to hittin' the weights! Ok enough about the background and junk, lets get to the good stuff.

I have the tools to measure down to 10mg accurately.

Beta-Alanine
L-Citrulline Malate
Caffeine Powder 100%
L-Taurine Free Form Amino
Creatine Monohydrate*
D-Aspartic Acid (DAA)*
*Will cycle 2WK/1WK

I did some research on BCAA's in a pre workout and don't see a point to it unless it's intra-workout. But I have a tub of them for just that. My whey protein supps should give me an adequate supply throughout the day.

With the amount ordered (Roughly 200 FULL servings for everything but caffeine and creatine, those are close to 800-1k servings) I spent $91.00 shipped to my door.

My main questions are:

What would be an ESSENTIAL addition to this mix?

What would you recommend dosage wise to get the full potential benefits?

Who else has tried this? Did you find it worthwhile for the cost savings/product enhancement?

I appreciate the feedback/help and apologies if I posted in the wrong section.

Thanks!

mtinsideout

mtinsideout

Awards
  • Established
I think you hit the essentials, the only things I could possibly see adding would be Agmatine, maybe some form of green tea or EGCG and I personally like some DMAA with my pre-workout mix. It is all about what you are looking for, if we are talking about intra workout then I would consider either adding some potassium and sodium for electrolytes or find something else that has electrolytes in it.

mtinsideout

mtinsideout

Awards
  • Established
Also creatine mono and beta alanine don't need to be taken pre-workout. As long as you take them consistently at some point during the day you will get the benefits from them.

gboslice

gboslice

Awards
Maybe some 95% Forskolin?
Very interesting, I'm looking into this on another browser tab now.

I think you hit the essentials, the only things I could possibly see adding would be Agmatine, maybe some form of green tea or EGCG and I personally like some DMAA with my pre-workout mix. It is all about what you are looking for, if we are talking about intra workout then I would consider either adding some potassium and sodium for electrolytes or find something else that has electrolytes in it.
Awesome! I had Agmatine on there as well but due to it's very high cost, opted to hold off. I'm going to do a bit more research on it and will possibly throw it in the mix as well. This one will be exclusively pre-workout.

Also creatine mono and beta alanine don't need to be taken pre-workout. As long as you take them consistently at some point during the day you will get the benefits from them.
OK cool. I was debating creatine before or after workout as it seems to have some good recovering properties that outweigh any sort of pre workout effects unless I saturate with a few days of a loading phase. Looking into throwing it in with the post workout shake.

warbird01

warbird01

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Don't do 2 weeks on, 1 week off. Add in leacine as well.

SwolenONE

SwolenONE

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I would recommend:

creatine mono
COP
Arachidonic acid
beta alanine
caffeine (optional)

I usually take something resembling that preWO, then Strive Intra.

SwolenONE

SwolenONE

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
gboslice

gboslice

Awards
If you get SNS's agmatine, it's .40 cents for 1g. Most pre workouts are dosed at 500, but I preger 750 to 1g.

I saw that one and realllllly debated adding it to the cart. From what I read, 2.5-3gms was the dosage so I stayed away as it was priced steeply. It's still #1 on the things I'd love to add...all I see is great reviews when it's in a pre w.o. I appreciate your help man

I would recommend:

creatine mono
COP
Arachidonic acid
beta alanine
caffeine (optional)

I usually take something resembling that preWO, then Strive Intra.
Arachidonic acid <-- This one looks pretty interesting. I'm definitely interested in throwing some new things in with it to test it out. It looks like we have a similar core group of ingredients which is comforting haha.

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
Buy enhanced

Mack411

Mack411

Awards
I have great benefits when dosing both of these pre workout,the most noted from beta alanine is the endurance it provides,and I have very slight but noticeable strength increases when taking creatine mono pre vs. post or other times of the day.

Op,your stack looks pretty solid,you could always add in some Leucine,SNS has a 500g tub at a great value,and as mentioned above,if you are interested in ArA,then X-gels was just recently released and there are a few logs up with great feedback rolling in,that will take things to a whole new level!

gboslice

gboslice

Awards
I have great benefits when dosing both of these pre workout,the most noted from beta alanine is the endurance it provides,and I have very slight but noticeable strength increases when taking creatine mono pre vs. post or other times of the day.

Op,your stack looks pretty solid,you could always add in some Leucine,SNS has a 500g tub at a great value,and as mentioned above,if you are interested in ArA,then X-gels was just recently released and there are a few logs up with great feedback rolling in,that will take things to a whole new level!
Badass man. It looks like creatine before/after was debated pretty thoroughly from all the posts I've read. I was gonna keep Beta Alanine as a part of the pre just because of the tingle effect haha. I just picked up some Agmatine (100 pills, 1k MG each) for 15 bucks! Pretty excited about it. Thanks for the feedback brotha and the suggestion. I'm gonna play with the mixture until I can find what out how my bodies responding.

Mack411

Mack411

Awards
Badass man. It looks like creatine before/after was debated pretty thoroughly from all the posts I've read. I was gonna keep Beta Alanine as a part of the pre just because of the tingle effect haha. I just picked up some Agmatine (100 pills, 1k MG each) for 15 bucks! Pretty excited about it. Thanks for the feedback brotha and the suggestion. I'm gonna play with the mixture until I can find what out how my bodies responding.
Anytime,feel free to ask anything you are ever concerned with,that is what we are here for!

warbird01

warbird01

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I saw that one and realllllly debated adding it to the cart. From what I read, 2.5-3gms was the dosage so I stayed away as it was priced steeply. It's still #1 on the things I'd love to add...all I see is great reviews when it's in a pre w.o. I appreciate your help man

Arachidonic acid <-- This one looks pretty interesting. I'm definitely interested in throwing some new things in with it to test it out. It looks like we have a similar core group of ingredients which is comforting haha.
Naw 1g max dose, not sure who said 2.5-3g.

Arachidonic acid is insane pre wokrout. ArA+agmatine=AAS like pumps. It will blow your mind. Check out x gels.

feather319

feather319

Awards
I just started using Taurine Pre-workout this week and it has made a huge difference in my endurance. All the others look good. I'm not sure if there is an interaction between Taurine and Beta-Alanine because i keep reading mixed reviews.

I would recommend something for mental focus as well. Tyrosine, Choline, Acetyl L-carnitine, and/or possiby green tea.

thedarce

thedarce

Awards
  • Established
just wait for our iforce potassium nitrate product

SwolenONE

SwolenONE

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Absolutely agreed on no need to go over 1g/day on ArA, and when stacked with agmatine I love it and have a friend who swears by stacking it with osthole.

I'll keep my eye out for the new Iforce nitrate supplement, Ive had good results with them (especially for pumps) when keeping the dose low.

gboslice

gboslice

Awards
I just started using Taurine Pre-workout this week and it has made a huge difference in my endurance. All the others look good. I'm not sure if there is an interaction between Taurine and Beta-Alanine because i keep reading mixed reviews.

I would recommend something for mental focus as well. Tyrosine, Choline, Acetyl L-carnitine, and/or possiby green tea.
I feel like i skimped on the mental focus part but it's something I wanna try to get in pill form if possible. I'm glad to hear the taurine was worth it. I was reading the same things and decided it would be worth it...plus it was pretty cheap.

Absolutely agreed on no need to go over 1g/day on ArA, and when stacked with agmatine I love it and have a friend who swears by stacking it with osthole.

I'll keep my eye out for the new Iforce nitrate supplement, Ive had good results with them (especially for pumps) when keeping the dose low.
I''m really interested in giving this a try now. Gonna pull the trigger when the next check comes in.

GQNemesis

GQNemesis

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I had greats results with this SNS stack..

5g creatine mono
75g-1g Agmatine
6g cit Malate

plain and simple you'll notice strength & cardio increase

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
I had greats results with this SNS stack..

5g creatine mono
75g-1g Agmatine
6g cit Malate

plain and simple you'll notice strength & cardio increase
I like that combo with MCC instead of mono and 2g BA pre and post.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
In the end it comes down to cost; obviously slamming as much stuff as you can into the pre-workout mix seems like a good idea, but more often than not you'd be better off with just the basics.

Otherwise you'd end up with this:

Beta-Alanine
L-Citrulline Malate
Caffeine Powder 100%
Creatine Monohydrate*
D-Aspartic Acid (DAA)*
Agmatine
Leucine
COP
ArA
Choline
ALCAR
Forskolin
Green tea
DMAA
Nitrates (some form, perhaps Leucine)
Tyrosine

which would end up being quite costly lol. But at least it gives you a list to work with and tailor to your own liking.

warbird01

warbird01

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
^^^looks awesome : D

ForceOneSeven

Awards
My suggestion...drop BA pre-workout and supplement 3.2 throughout the course of the day. Add.... 2g Tyrosine, 2g COP, 3g LCLT, maybe some Hyperzine A for added mental sharpness. I also love Betatine(TMG) pre.

gboslice

gboslice

Awards
In the end it comes down to cost; obviously slamming as much stuff as you can into the pre-workout mix seems like a good idea, but more often than not you'd be better off with just the basics.

Otherwise you'd end up with this:

Beta-Alanine
L-Citrulline Malate
Caffeine Powder 100%
Creatine Monohydrate*
D-Aspartic Acid (DAA)*
Agmatine
Leucine
COP
ArA
Choline
ALCAR
Forskolin
Green tea
DMAA
Nitrates (some form, perhaps Leucine)
Tyrosine

which would end up being quite costly lol. But at least it gives you a list to work with and tailor to your own liking.

Haha, I feel like I've spent my paycheck just looking at this list :p

So I've finally made it back from my trip and started playing around with dosages and what works best.

Yesterday (5/26) I tried the whole thing without any juice or sweetener of any kind...I took it all down and didn't have any stomach probs like I thought I would...because it tasted awful. What a killer experience though. I was pushing through extra reps on just about everything with great focus and endurance the whole time. I left feeling swole and king of the chest fly machine.

Today (5/27) I'm tryin it out with some strawberry protein to see what it comes out with:

Dosing:

4 grams L-Citrulline Malate
3 grams L-Taurine
3.5 grams D-Aspartic Acid (DAA)
8 grams Creatine Mono
2 grams Beta Alanine

Downing water like a camel throughout. Something I should have started doing a long time ago!
Heading in for leg day!

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
Drop taurine and use seperate from BA because they both use the same receptor. They deplete each other. Use BA at dose stated, taurine at meal time

SwolenONE

SwolenONE

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Drop taurine and use seperate from BA because they both use the same receptor. They deplete each other. Use BA at dose stated, taurine at meal time
Great info!

I had never read that before, gotta love AM always something new to learn here.

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
Thank Coop for schooling me

gboslice

gboslice

Awards
Love the amount of knowledge on this forum. Gonna start this today

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
Glad you ACTUALLY listen. Let us know how it goes after a couple of goes so the body has a chance to build up the stores.