Hello all.

T_anshelm

Awards
I am a 16 year old male. I play very high level competitive hockey, and would like to increase my size by adding muscle. I am currently 6', and 185lbs. I workout every day for over an hour, and due to my high metabolism, I am not gaining the weight I want. I take mass gainer shakes, twice daily. If anyways has any tips or information to help, It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
T. Anshelm

mkvftw

Awards
Eat more.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
proper training and nutrition for your goals.

TheSwanks

TheSwanks

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
eat more, train less. lifting weights every day for over an hour is too much and counter productive
Perfect advice!

not necessarily. He said he "works out" for over an hour every day. 2 or 3 of those days might be cardio or conditioning work. At 16 years old, I'd think he could train in some way 7 days a week and make good gains.

Food is the key here, though, for sure. Kid needs to eat more. If you can't fit more food in your belly, make it more calorie dense. Add olive oil and/or natural peanut butter to everything. Maybe lessen some of the cardio or do lower intensity some of the time, though I'm sure you need to keep up the conditioning for speed and endurance on the ice.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
as long as it isnt weights everyday and not high intensity cardio every day, i dont see an issue at his age. i prefer at least one day off completely from everything.

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
seems we need a little clarification from op here lol

by workout, do you mean lifting? or do you include cardio and practice as working out too?

TheSwanks

TheSwanks

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
as long as it isnt weights everyday and not high intensity cardio every day, i dont see an issue at his age. i prefer at least one day off completely from everything.
same here, usually one day off or just very light cardio like walking around the neighborhood with the wife and son or whatever.

at 16 though, if he sleeps 9-10 hours and eats like a horse his recovery should be sufficient to work pretty hard 7 days a week

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
His goal is to put on mass and he plays competitive hockey in addition to working out 7 days a week for more than an hour at a time. Increasing calories in is one part of the solution, but 7 days for that long each time seems counteractive to his stated goal.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
if OP wants to put on mass, he needs to only lift weights 3x a week with compound lifts like 5x5. great for strength as well which would go along with his sport. other days can be hockey, cardio...etc + one or two days resting if available.

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
As everyone has mentioned, more food is a must. If OP is playing hockey at a "very high competitive level", I'd think that all of his training is under the supervision of coaches.

T_anshelm

Awards
My schedule of a week includes 4 workouts a week with intense weights. 3 of those workouts, are designated for cardio. I take mass shakes, twice a day, everyday. I've that fish oils, and high vegetable diet helps.

T_anshelm

Awards
I appreciate all of you for taking the time to give me some tips!!

TheSwanks

TheSwanks

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
My schedule of a week includes 4 workouts a week with intense weights. 3 of those workouts, are designated for cardio. I take mass shakes, twice a day, everyday. I've that fish oils, and high vegetable diet helps.
Yeah just need to get more cals bud. You'll be good to go!

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hi T_anshelm. It looks like your training setup is solid. If you aren't gaining weight, you really just need to increase your caloric intake until the scale starts to move. You're burning through a lot of calories with your training and hockey will do this to an even greater degree.

The 2 shakes are fine (I'd continue with them), but I'd suggest getting the additional calories needed through whole foods. Adding things such as peanut butter, extra virgin olive oil, and coconut oil to meals (or your shakes) is an easy way to increase your caloric intake. At your age, "less healthy" foods in moderation, should be fine as well. My coach actually used to suggest we eat ice cream to help put on weight.

If you have any more questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

TheSwanks

TheSwanks

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hi T_anshelm. It looks like your training setup is solid. If you aren't gaining weight, you really just need to increase your caloric intake until the scale starts to move. You're burning through a lot of calories with your training and hockey will do this to an even greater degree.

The 2 shakes are fine (I'd continue with them), but I'd suggest getting the additional calories needed through whole foods. Adding things such as peanut butter, extra virgin olive oil, and coconut oil to meals (or your shakes) is an easy way to increase your caloric intake. At your age, "less healthy" foods in moderation, should be fine as well. My coach actually used to suggest we eat ice cream to help put on weight.

If you have any more questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
exactly my thoughts, Breezy

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Sprinterguy4

Sprinterguy4

Awards
You're 16 bro. You've probably maxed out your weight for your age. Give it some time, I gained 40lbs between the ages of 16 and 20 naturally. Give it some time

TheSwanks

TheSwanks

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You're 16 bro. You've probably maxed out your weight for your age. Give it some time, I gained 40lbs between the ages of 16 and 20 naturally. Give it some time
No such thing as "maxing out your weight"

TheSwanks

TheSwanks

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Excuse me...hit a plateau for his age
You can always put on more weight. Your body will never get to a point where it arbitrarily decides it won't absorb more calories than it takes to maintain your current weight. Just not physiologically possible unless you have some kind of medical condition out of the ordinary