Best supplement for Muscle Recovery? Training for Marathon

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
Plain and simple...

What are the better ones out there? Any all in one? I take Joint Support, Beta Alamine, Fish Oil and Cissus, but none of them are really for muscle soreness.

I've been training for a marathon (I tore my bicep so I can't quite work out my upper body, so figured I would train for something) and running 3 - 4 times a week takes a lot out of my legs.

I do a lot of foam rolling, spend plenty of time at the hot tub, have massage pads on my legs almost 24/7, and take muscle relaxants, but still, always always sore...

Any help is appreciated because as of now I would only be able to go running maybe twice a week due to shin splints, knee soreness, etc.

I run with good running shoes on a impact lowering treadmill, sometimes will use vibram 5toes instead. Should I invest in shoe soles from Dr. Scholes or something to help out? I am pretty flat footed.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
Anyone?

Sprinterguy4

Sprinterguy4

Awards
Musclepharm recon is the best ive ever tried as far as leg recovery

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
TheSwanks

TheSwanks

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I LOVE Formutech Endurance. All the benefits of BCAA supplementation (i.e. faster recovery) with added ingredients to enhance performance:

Endurance-ingredient-panel-Formutech-Nutrition.jpg

Profion

Awards
Well, i would maybe increase nutrients? I know endurance training takes its tole on the glucogen deposits, so something refreashing while running might work? Add in some clean carbs with bcaa in your water, that should assist alittle..

Get plenty of sleep, recovery, food, and so on! Pain and soreness is a part of this game, if your still sore after some years of training its good... just tells that you are working at your bodies capacity and that it needs to evolve to overwhelm the next task :) problem is that we keep pushing us self into new goals, so the soreness will come along no matter what!

Beta-alanine is proven to be very helpfull for endurance sports, so thats good.
Creatine is kinda more for short duty sports, the extra water weight might not help you

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
I go with Ethyl E Creatine as Mono bloats me up good.

I guess I could try to increase my Beta Alanine intake. Not particularly looking for a "pre-workout" as I already have my mix and don't like how the majority utilizes C Mono.

Profion

Awards
:> i have no idea why people think to tend that the "esters?" of creatine work diffrently, i think theres some studies out there showing no difference in the forms of creatine. Alot of times other types are markedted so that people go for something advancted that does not bloat, thing is that its more expensive and aint no different..

but i dunno. I usually go for 6g of beta alanine

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
I'm just going by personal experience... I tried both, used to be a mono supporter, but always bloated. Switched to the ester version of it and I continue lean (keep in mind that was my only change. Diet, training and other supp remained a constant) so I guess it just works differently on people? I also noticed more vascularity.

Profion

Awards
bet you grew another arm?

nah, well if its your own experience go by that.

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm just going by personal experience... I tried both, used to be a mono supporter, but always bloated. Switched to the ester version of it and I continue lean (keep in mind that was my only change. Diet, training and other supp remained a constant) so I guess it just works differently on people? I also noticed more vascularity.
I can explain the vascularity. Your not retaining water like the INTENDED effect of creatine. Believe it or not you'll look more dry without creatine because creatine does make you retain water. Cee is mostly pissed out/ wasted so I can see why your more vascular.

As for the effect of cee it has been pushed to the side over the years for a reason. As with kreaklyn in the supplement biz you can pull a problem outa mid air and release a new product to fix it.

VaughnTrue

VaughnTrue

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I go with Ethyl E Creatine as Mono bloats me up good.

I guess I could try to increase my Beta Alanine intake. Not particularly looking for a "pre-workout" as I already have my mix and don't like how the majority utilizes C Mono.
Compete is creatine free, and will offer you the most noticeable improvements in performance out of anything you can try.

Beta Alanine takes up to 6 weeks to reach saturation, so if you don't have the patience for that, Compete will give you IMMEDIATE effects.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
I can explain the vascularity. Your not retaining water like the INTENDED effect of creatine. Believe it or not you'll look more dry without creatine because creatine does make you retain water. Cee is mostly pissed out/ wasted so I can see why your more vascular.

As for the effect of cee it has been pushed to the side over the years for a reason. As with kreaklyn in the supplement biz you can pull a problem outa mid air and release a new product to fix it.
Well, yes, Creatine is supposed to help you retain water, which is the part of the creatine I do not want. I want the ATP and I feel the difference on that last rep at the gym when taking ester (which I also felt with mono, but with the added effect aforementioned, hence why the switch. )

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
Well, yes, Creatine is supposed to help you retain water, which is the part of the creatine I do not want. I want the ATP and I feel the difference on that last rep at the gym when taking ester (which I also felt with mono, but with the added effect aforementioned, hence why the switch. )
The water retention is an intended effect as in is needed for the atp.

Profion

Awards
for those with more brain then me correct me if i am wrong:

Creatine´s water retension could be a part in the sarcoplasmic fluid surrounding muscle buds, a supplementation of creatine would assist in adding more phosphate so that the CA++ ions located in the sarcoplasmic fuild can help assist the actin heads in being un bound, thereby making more room for energy connection between akin - myosin "bridge" and a movement loss of 1phosphate.

So by increases ATP, more room has to be made for the phosphate to be held "sarcoplasmic fluid" thats why people say that the water retension is a side effects, wich lookt apon actually is the effect of creatine

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
for those with more brain then me correct me if i am wrong:

Creatine´s water retension could be a part in the sarcoplasmic fluid surrounding muscle buds, a supplementation of creatine would assist in adding more phosphate so that the CA++ ions located in the sarcoplasmic fuild can help assist the actin heads in being un bound, thereby making more room for energy connection between akin - myosin "bridge" and a movement loss of 1phosphate.

So by increases ATP, more room has to be made for the phosphate to be held "sarcoplasmic fluid" thats why people say that the water retension is a side effects, wich lookt apon actually is the effect of creatine
Yep.

alvin1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Yes compete is amazing for muscle recovery ! Try something like Labrada Humanogrowht, reduce inflammation and increase recovery also both together kick ass !

nicoacademia

nicoacademia

Awards
when i did my ironman i was using alot of scivation's xtend.
and good ole energy gels.

good enough for me.
i guess bcaas cit-mal glutamine help alot.

footstrike technique is important but i guess you run alot so you know that bit.

UncleWade

UncleWade

Awards
  • Established
check out Compete.

If offers LCLT + LCF for serious muscle repair, as well as more energy while working out.

You should notice a HUGE difference while using it.

http://www.nutraplanet.com/product/iforce-nutrition/compete-300g.html?sel=4662
Compete is my favorite supplement for a reason - great taste and great benefits for any type of training you're considering; the electrolytes, carnitine salts, focus complex, and various other components of the formula will serve you very well for endurance training.

maxforce

Awards
MaxForce Nutrition stocks protein powder, energy bars, and other nutritional products designed for strength, endurance and sport performance. MaxForce recognizes the value of proper training and nutrition required to achieve fitness goals.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
Ended up pulling the trigger on the compete, let's see how it goes!

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You made a wise decision. I'm currently logging Compete and it really is helping with endurance and recovery.

VaughnTrue

VaughnTrue

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
sweet! nice call.

What flavor did you get?

try 1 scoop 30 minutes pre-workout, and sipping on 1 scoop while training...it's the bees knees!

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
sweet! nice call.

What flavor did you get?

try 1 scoop 30 minutes pre-workout, and sipping on 1 scoop while training...it's the bees knees!
Lemon drop, let's see how it handles.

I'm figuring I'll use it pre cardio exercise as it is what usually takes the most out of me in terms of recovery.

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Plain and simple...

What are the better ones out there? Any all in one? I take Joint Support, Beta Alamine, Fish Oil and Cissus, but none of them are really for muscle soreness.

I've been training for a marathon (I tore my bicep so I can't quite work out my upper body, so figured I would train for something) and running 3 - 4 times a week takes a lot out of my legs.

I do a lot of foam rolling, spend plenty of time at the hot tub, have massage pads on my legs almost 24/7, and take muscle relaxants, but still, always always sore...

Any help is appreciated because as of now I would only be able to go running maybe twice a week due to shin splints, knee soreness, etc.

I run with good running shoes on a impact lowering treadmill, sometimes will use vibram 5toes instead. Should I invest in shoe soles from Dr. Scholes or something to help out? I am pretty flat footed.
I know wendler likes to soak in bath salts for soreness, dont know if that will help, but wendler is usaully straight forward with these type of things.

also stop using the treadmill, if your training for a marathon not a good idea. Thats like traing to sqaut for a powerlifting meet with a hack sqaut machine. When your running for distances soreness comes with the territory, the idea is to keep working through it. I know when I started running in the begining it was tough for me to.

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
I know wendler likes to soak in bath salts for soreness, dont know if that will help, but wendler is usaully straight forward with these type of things.

also stop using the treadmill, if your training for a marathon not a good idea. Thats like traing to sqaut for a powerlifting meet with a hack sqaut machine. When your running for distances soreness comes with the territory, the idea is to keep working through it. I know when I started running in the begining it was tough for me to.
Epsons salts and yes it helps tremendously

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established

Living in Michigan it's kinda hard to train outside... Was snowing last week. Waiting for good weather to go outside.

PalmFist

PalmFist

Awards
I noticed you complain about being flat footed and having shin splints. I suffer from the same condition. The way you land because you are flat footed will translate into all kinds of other symptoms from shin splints, to knee pain, to hip pain, to back pain, to neck pain. Btw creatine has no effect on endurance athletes. It's really not gonna improve your marathon time or aid in recovery. If you don't believe me check it out, there are tons of research articles that back it up. Now as for shin splints I have suffered for years with that particular ailment. Two things have made a dramatic change in my training when I do train for running. First is rice therapy: fill up a large saucer with dry rice and kneed your toes in it for a few minutes a few times a day. Lets say 5 minutes am and again in the PM. You can do this while watching tv so it doesn't become a chore. Up it to two ten minute sessions over time. Second is calf sleeves. This has helped more than you can believe! A good pair are about 40-50$. You want them to be snug but not constricting. GO BUY SOME CALF SLEEVES!!!

My pair of ZOOT sleeves
image-3577165621.jpg

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
Interesting, will look into them.

I wear those braces and whatnot, but not these sleeves. Will give it a try

Epolis13

Epolis13

Awards
You're going to love Compete - the taste is insane, and it'll help you on your longer training days. It's one of my favorites and definitely something that I use daily at this point. Good luck with your training!

PalmFist

PalmFist

Awards
Compete is creatine free, and will offer you the most noticeable improvements in performance out of anything you can try.
Just checked out compete. Good stuff. I like how it is creatine free as well. Should really help out the OP.

Adding BCAAs would increase recovery as well. Just don't buy into the SAA bullshyt.

VaughnTrue

VaughnTrue

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
excited to see what the OP thinks!

OP - Try doing 1 scoop/20-24oz water. It is very strongly flavored

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
I'm going to have to look into investing in some soles I believe...

I do have a heating pad / massager at work that I keep at my calves the entire day to ease with the split and calve pain and all.

Are Dr. Scholls any good? Also just purchased a new pair of running shoes; I use the vibrams at the gym with the low impact treadmill which seem to have helped a lot with my shin splint issue, but they can't be used outdoors, too much impact on my body.

Also doesn't help that my legs have to propel a 235lb body around, I'm sure they don't quite enjoy it.

PalmFist

PalmFist

Awards
I do have a heating pad / massager at work that I keep at my calves the entire day to ease with the split and calve pain and all

Are Dr. Scholls any good? Also just purchased a new pair of running shoes
Shin splints are actually micro fractures in the bone itself, some severe. This is accompanied by tears in connective tissue as well. The muscle has less to do with it than you think. An anti inflammatory is your best friend.

Get the sleeves!

Dr scholls is a joke. Get some quality stuff that actually works like those oven bake insoles.

Lastly, there is a lot of research that goes into buying a shoe that will help you perform better. As flat footed individuals we are limited in our choices. I hope you did your homework

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
I got the Vibrams for inside and they work perfectly to avoid those type of injuries.

For the outside I'm looking at soles exactly because I don't want to get the shoes; the latest one I looked at was a quick $300 and that is just not within the budget right now.

Will start taking some anti inflamatories, wasn't aware of that, I thought it was a combination.

TheSwanks

TheSwanks

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I got the Vibrams for inside and they work perfectly to avoid those type of injuries.

For the outside I'm looking at soles exactly because I don't want to get the shoes; the latest one I looked at was a quick $300 and that is just not within the budget right now.

Will start taking some anti inflamatories, wasn't aware of that, I thought it was a combination.
I just got some vibrams last week. I love them so far! Takes a little getting used to tho

VaughnTrue

VaughnTrue

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

if you want a strong natural anti-inflammatory, look into Joint Help. It includes ParActin which is a very potent anti-inflammatory. As such, it offers both immediate and long term pain relief.

Daycrawler

Awards
  • Established
Recovery/Overall Performance, I'd go with Protocol.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Marathon training is one of the few times you don't want to facilitate the hormetic response to exercise. You want antioxidants and immunostimulants.

Vitamin C, Echinacea, Anaycyclus pyrethrum, NAC, LCLT.

Pre-marathon, a dietary protocol of glycogen depletion, followed by low/no carbs for 2-3 days, followed by carb-loading should create a strong glycogen supercompensation response. Since glycogen depletion is tied with failure in marathons, you want as much as possible going in.