Immune System

SpongeTom

Awards
  • Established
Howdy all,

Over the past 12 or so months I've managed to get myself sick a few times. First pneumonia, then I had shingles, and recently just coming out of a pretty bad flu/chest infection. Total pain in the butt. Each time it effectively takes me away from training for ~3 weeks. I have no doubt that stress plays a part in this,as well as being a bit more susceptible to these types of things due to my asthma.

Diet wise is relatively good. I'd say once a week Ill splurge and have something like a pizza and soft drink. But the rest of the time I dont think it is too bad, though Im sure it could be better.

So I was hoping for some ideas of any supplements I could take on a daily basis to boost my immune system, and help reduce the frequency of getting sick.

So far I take a daily multi (the ON one), fish oil (supermarket brand, 4 caps per day), and Vit D. Ill be honest in saying my usage of these has been inconsistent at best, but this latest flu/chest infection has been a real wake up call for me and I will make it a daily habit.

So is there anything else I should be taking to help me day to day, so I can keep on training :)

Thanks!

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I've been sick a few times, and honestly rest and hydration will be the biggest factors. Cold meds, supps...all those may relieve some of your symptoms, but won't completely recover you. Pop your multi, get some antioxidants in you. I'm not a doctor by any fukin means lol that's just my experience with illness and lifting.

SpongeTom

Awards
  • Established
Thanks mate, appreciate your reply.

I'm more asking about what I can do while I am not sick, to avoid getting sick again. Sorry if I wasn't clear. You are right though, rest and hydration seem to work best while I am actually ill.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
My mistake man. Read your post fast. To be honest, just maintain a healthy diet with whole foods, fruit and veggies. Basic sanitary habits. Not sure about specific supplementation besides vitamins and antioxidants that will keep you from ever getting sick. But...subbed for more intelligent responses from other members lol

domore

Awards
In order to fight sickness, I've been extremely conscious of washing my hands, touching my face, biting my fingernails, etc.

In addition to my sanitary habits, I like NAC, Vitamin C, and Olive Leaf Extract for fighting sickness.

Ajerone

Banned
Awards
Craze :D With lots of vit c per scoop!

I am curious about prototype 7-spray, and seeing if it has immune benefits

SpongeTom

Awards
  • Established
What is the spray for?

Hehe might pass on the craze :p

baldwanus

baldwanus

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
vit-c + NAC + SAMe every 4-6 hours when sick = win. should help reduce symptoms/speed up beating the cold

SpongeTom

Awards
  • Established
Sounds like NAC is consistently mentioned. Is it ok to take everyday, when one isn't sick?

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Inhibition of cellular invasive parameters in influenza A virus-infected MDCK and Vero cells by a nutrient mixture.

Influenza, a long-standing common infection, poses a serious health problem causing significant morbidity and mortality, and imposing substantial economic costs. To date there are no effective antiviral therapies. A unique nutrient mixture (NM), containing lysine, proline, ascorbic acid, green tea extract, N-acetyl cysteine and selenium among other micro nutrients, has been shown to exert a wide range of biochemical and pharmacological effects, among them anti-carcinogenic and anti-atherogenic activity both in vitro and in vivo. In a previous study, NM was found to significantly inhibit influenza virus A associated neuraminidase enzyme as well as production of NP antigen in a dose-dependent manner. Influenza virus A not only infects pulmonary areas, but also manifests in extrapulmonary areas, which require basement membrane disruption by matrix metalloproteinases capable of degrading collagen type IV. This prompted us to study the effect of NM on cellular invasive parameters of virus-infected and non-infected MDCK and Vero cells. NM inhibited extracellular invasive parameters such as MMP-2 and MMP-9 secretion and Matrigel invasion. Results indicated that the relatively non-toxic nutrient mixture tested in this investigation has potential in influenza treatment by not only decreasing viral multiplication in infected cells but also by blocking the enzymatic degradation of the extracellular matrix.

PMID:19276537

baldwanus

baldwanus

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Sounds like NAC is consistently mentioned. Is it ok to take everyday, when one isn't sick?
i take 1g of NAC via sns liver assist xt on a daily basis *granted every couple of months i try to take a break from most supps* but if i feel like im getting sick, 1 cap every 4-6 hours with the vit-c/SAMe and im good to go

thedarce

thedarce

Awards
  • Established
i know of a few people who take cycle support/assist at half the dose just for general health.

Mack411

Mack411

Awards
i know of a few people who take cycle support/assist at half the dose just for general health.
I do this myself actually!

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
NAC is definitely a good one.

A cool thing about running products like ABE, Joint Help, and others in the winter time is the added immune benefit. I think UR may help too IIRC.

I have tried Colloidal Silver, Sambucus, and Zinc lozenges while sick and can't say I noticed help.

My absolute favorite is any time I'm even getting a little stuff I use a nette pot. I swear by them. It is like 5-10 bucks and helps a lot when sick or not.

Powercage

Powercage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
In order to fight sickness, I've been extremely conscious of washing my hands, touching my face, biting my fingernails, etc.

In addition to my sanitary habits, I like NAC, Vitamin C, and Olive Leaf Extract for fighting sickness.

Im a big fan of NAC + Vit C as well

domore

Awards
vit-c + NAC + SAMe every 4-6 hours when sick = win. should help reduce symptoms/speed up beating the cold
SAMe is great to add while sick. I would only take SAMe while sick since it can actually inhibit homocysteine methylation.

Yes, you're fine taking NAC everyday.

Im a big fan of NAC + Vit C as well
And magnesium :)

basedg0d

Awards
Supplements aren't going to do **** for you if your immune system is as weak as it is. Quit wasting your money and buy a blendtec/vitamix and start drinking kale/collard green/celery/ginger/garlic/mixed berry smoothies every morning.

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Altrient C, Magnesium, Vitamin D, Green Tea, Mushroom Extracts

SpongeTom

Awards
  • Established
Thanks guys! Appreciate all the replies!

I'm feeling better at the moment, so back into the gym today :D

PalmFist

PalmFist

Awards
A good multi with plenty of B. Some Vit D & C. Proper exercise, diet and sleep. FinaFlex's G8 is a great sleep aid that helps ensure quality zzzzz's.

This thing right here wants rest and recovery!

image-696356504.jpg

Ape McGrapes

Ape McGrapes

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Swanson Vitamins Immune Essentials is affordable on about any budget and has a very nice profile.

Royd The Noyd

Royd The Noyd

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
Craze :D With lots of vit c per scoop!

I am curious about prototype 7-spray, and seeing if it has immune benefits
This worked for me while i was working and had the flu coming on lol

Ape McGrapes

Ape McGrapes

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
There's also studies showing the Anti-acid cemetidine to have immune system boosting properties, at 800mg a day. It's been used for both cancer and aids patients.