Carnitine increases arteriosclerosis risk?

1. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.11%
    Achievements Activity Pro

Carnitine increases arteriosclerosis risk?

Say what? I'd love to hear some feedback from some of the smarter minds on this board. I'm having a hard time buying this I've seen numerous studies on PLCAR improving endothelial function. GPLC increases NO which I would think also benefits the cardiovascular system. Am I missing something.

2. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'1"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    94.46%

There is quite a bit of evidence suggesting cardiovascular benefits from carnitine. The study itself isnt without issues. Does this mean there should be more research? Yes. Does this mean carnitine is dangerous in any way? Not necessarily.

My feeling is that we are going to find this is only truly relevant in those with kidney disorders, as TMAO is normally rapidly excreted by the kidneys. But only time will tell.
    Controlled Labs Warder
    Powercage [at] controlledlabs.com
  3. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'2"  188 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    45.72%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Powercage View Post
    There is quite a bit of evidence suggesting cardiovascular benefits from carnitine. The study itself isnt without issues. Does this mean there should be more research? Yes. Does this mean carnitine is dangerous in any way? Not necessarily.

My feeling is that we are going to find this is only truly relevant in those with kidney disorders, as TMAO is normally rapidly excreted by the kidneys. But only time will tell.
    This.
    iForce Nutrition Representative
    iTrain. iCompete. iDominate…iForce!
    www.iforcenutrition.com
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  196 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    42.41%

Just like the OP I am too slightly concerned after reading two articles on the matter. Am I overreacting I don't know. But I would love to see what the experienced guys like coop and DR. Dana think about the study.

PS I take ALCAR, PLCAR and LCT.
  5. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    79.85%

No,it not increases arteriosclerosis risk.Because it is basically a quaternary ammonium compound, combined with amino acid and used to provide many health benefits.Carnitine product is very beneficial for weight loss and used as a fat burner. This is one of the best products by which you can achieve your goals in the gym and can get the best physique
  6. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.93%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

It is an interesting issue given that bacteria in the gut turn cartinine into trimethylamine-N-oxide[http://www.nature.com/nm/journal/vao.../nm.3145.html] but studies on populations WRT meat consumption and all cause mortality (including atherosclerosis) is not consistant with this article that was released.

I still stand by high blood TG's being one of the biggest causes of athersclerosis amongst populations.
  7. Banned
    Stats
    5'10"  171 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.91%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by ironwiz View Post
    Just like the OP I am too slightly concerned after reading two articles on the matter. Am I overreacting I don't know. But I would love to see what the experienced guys like coop and DR. Dana think about the study.

PS I take ALCAR, PLCAR and LCT.
    Dude...its one study stop tripping ..I'm sure there are plenty of things we all do everyday that can be linked to some disease, cancer or health risk....nothing is conclusive. They didnt list all of the x factor variables that play a role in the outcome of the study. The next study could produce drastically different results. Now if they manipulate or replicate the exact same study and get the sane results over and over and over again then you can start to worry (but only a little bit) lol
  8. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    79.85%

Quote Originally Posted by JD261985 View Post
    Dude...its one study stop tripping ..I'm sure there are plenty of things we all do everyday that can be linked to some disease, cancer or health risk....nothing is conclusive. They didnt list all of the x factor variables that play a role in the outcome of the study. The next study could produce drastically different results. Now if they manipulate or replicate the exact same study and get the sane results over and over and over again then you can start to worry (but only a little bit) lol
    Yes i totally agree with JD261985, you can not follow to one report. Every month various research results came ,some are positive some are negative Its upto you to beleive in it or not.Many times results vary person to person,so best advice is that take proper suggestion from your Gym instructor or fitness trainer before taking any supplements.And follow guidelines and precautions mentions on supplements.
  9. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    26.77%

I loooove GPLC and aint gonna stop taking it. You can die from anything today, even breathing so.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Study: Lots of red meat increases mortality risk
    By EasyEJL in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 03-25-2009, 10:05 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-30-2008, 11:16 AM
  3. Too Much Caffeine Increases the Risk of Miscarriage
    By Hurleyboy05 in forum Female Fitness
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-21-2008, 06:36 PM
  4. Replies: 13