Best supplement/ingredients to drink intra-workout that doesn't..

HITFrank

HITFrank

Awards
  • Established
...contain amino acids or carbs?

The easy answer is water, but is there any good tasting supplement that one can drink intra and is beneficial?

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
...contain amino acids or carbs?

The easy answer is water, but is there any good tasting supplement that one can drink intra and is beneficial?
Any particular reason why?

Ummmm..... Mio? Crystal Light maybe?

HITFrank

HITFrank

Awards
  • Established
Any particular reason why?

Ummmm..... Mio? Crystal Light maybe?

Before my workout I use BCAA and EAA after. I have used BCAA intra with a scoop of Alphamine, but now I wanna try not to consume amino acids or carbs. I want to spread out my intake so that the "proteinpulse" can be more effective.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Before my workout I use BCAA and EAA after. I have used BCAA intra with a scoop of Alphamine, but now I wanna try not to consume amino acids or carbs. I want to spread out my intake so that the "proteinpulse" can be more effective.
I've sipped on preworkouts intra before, you could try doing that. Depending on if your preworkout has carbs in it.

Otherwise your best bet might be the mio or something similar.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The Gatorade G2's or some other calorie free sports drink

TyMan14

TyMan14

Awards
  • Established
You could try the poweraid zero. It has electrolytes and no calories or carbs.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
what would be the point of this? I mean, it wont make or break your gains so why not stick with a BCAA product if you are going to take something intra?

UncleWade

UncleWade

Awards
  • Established
Compete tastes fantastic and is a really solid intra-workout formula. At the prescribed dose (two scoops), you get nice doses of LCLT (2g), whey hydrolysate (5g) and others that should make a noticeable impact, as well as other ingredients like a strong focus complex and electrolytes.

Samples are available on our website - Tangy Tangerine, Fruit Punch, and Lemon Drop are all excellent when mixed with 20 ounces of water.

iForce Dave

iForce Dave

Awards
  • Established
what is "proteinpulse" ?

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Compete tastes fantastic and is a really solid intra-workout formula. At the prescribed dose (two scoops), you get nice doses of LCLT (2g), whey hydrolysate (5g) and others that should make a noticeable impact, as well as other ingredients like a strong focus complex and electrolytes.

Samples are available on our website - Tangy Tangerine, Fruit Punch, and Lemon Drop are all excellent when mixed with 20 ounces of water.
I've had my eye on compete for quite sometime tbh. I may have to give it a go :)

- Valdez

TheSwanks

TheSwanks

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Have some Brondo, it's got electrolytes! It's what plants crave!

I really don't understand the aversion to bcaa's intra, but if you insist, I'd probably go with the calorie free propel drink

Epolis13

Epolis13

Awards
Have some Brondo, it's got electrolytes! It's what plants crave!I really don't understand the aversion to bcaa's intra, but if you insist, I'd probably go with the calorie free propel drink
Solid Idiocracy quote. Compete is really delicious. I love all the flavors and I drink it all throughout the day.

mnowak1228

Awards
iForce Compete, any flavor!!!! I have all three flavors and drink it ALL DAY!!! Fml....

HITFrank

HITFrank

Awards
  • Established
what is "proteinpulse" ?
Børge "Blade/Biorythm Diet" ***erli

For those not familiar with Layne and his research into optimizing protein synthesis and optimal meal frequency, read his article Protein: how much and how often here… Basically: ingest a protein source providing a minimal threshold of amino acids (leucine in particular) spaced out every 3-5hrs or so to avoid the refractory response. This is when the muscle synthesis machinery stops responding if you keep amino acids constantly elevated. You want pulsation, a wave-like rise and fall in amino acid levels. Given that most foods take a few hours to digest a viable strategy is to eat a meal every 4-5 hours, then ingest a fast protein source such as whey or even BCAAs with or without some carbs 2hrs before and after meals. Carbs actually seem to prolong MPS (Muscle Protein Synthesis) even if they don’t specifically add to the amplitude or total effect.

HITFrank

HITFrank

Awards
  • Established
Have some Brondo, it's got electrolytes! It's what plants crave!

I really don't understand the aversion to bcaa's intra, but if you insist, I'd probably go with the calorie free propel drink
Coop wrote BCAA's intra would be used as energy/glucose, will they?

HITFrank

HITFrank

Awards
  • Established
I've sipped on preworkouts intra before, you could try doing that. Depending on if your preworkout has carbs in it.

Otherwise your best bet might be the mio or something similar.
I will continue to try out different pre-workouts to sip on intra, Alphamine is so far doing OK. I use 1 scoop Clout, 1 scoop Prodigy, 2 scoops RecoverPro and 1 cap Versa-1 pre-workout.

TheSwanks

TheSwanks

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Cooper said BCAA,s intra would be used as energy/glucose, will they?
they will certainly be scavenged for energy to a certain extend. The conventional wisdom is that the BCAA's (leucine especially) help to stave off muscle catabolism during training and help to kick start protein synthesis after training

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15173434 "BCAA supplementation before and after exercise has beneficial effects for decreasing exercise-induced muscle damage and promoting muscle-protein synthesis"

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18974721
"Data show that BCAA supplementation before and after exercise has beneficial effects for decreasing exercise-induced muscle damage and promoting muscle-protein synthesis."

Also helpful in maintaining the immune system after intense prolonged exertion:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10912884
"The data obtained show that BCAA supplementation can reverse the reduction in serum glutamine concentration observed after prolonged intense exercise such as an Olympic triathlon."

Though I will be the first to admit that Coop knows an aweful lot about an aweful lot, and is probably privy to the latest studies on these things.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I will continue to try out different pre-workouts to sip on intra, Alphamine is so far doing OK. I use 1 scoop Clout, 1 scoop Prodigy, 2 scoops RecoverPro and 1 cap Versa-1 pre-workout.
The ingredients in Alphamine would be best served taken in a pre-workout setting rather than over a prolonged period such as your workout.

For most scenarios BCAAs are best taken pre/post rather than intra-workout as you are looking to hit a bolus of aminos (specifically Leucine) rather than a slow ingestion of them. The studies posted above also are accounting for this as pre/post and not during exercise.

HITFrank

HITFrank

Awards
  • Established
they will certainly be scavenged for energy to a certain extend. The conventional wisdom is that the BCAA's (leucine especially) help to stave off muscle catabolism during training and help to kick start protein synthesis after training

Though I will be the first to admit that Coop knows an aweful lot about an aweful lot, and is probably privy to the latest studies on these things.
Great info, thanx!

The ingredients in Alphamine would be best served taken in a pre-workout setting rather than over a prolonged period such as your workout.

For most scenarios BCAAs are best taken pre/post rather than intra-workout as you are looking to hit a bolus of aminos (specifically Leucine) rather than a slow ingestion of them. The studies posted above also are accounting for this as pre/post and not during exercise.
Ok. I usually get a better effect of my pre-workouts when drinking something that contains caffeine. I will try to find something different to spike my energy.

TheSwanks

TheSwanks

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
TheSwanks

TheSwanks

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established