Mixing up your own pre workout formula

mtinsideout

mtinsideout

Awards
  • Established
Ok so at the moment I'm making my own preworkout drinks in an effort to reduce my intake of artificial sweeteners (which are in all pre workouts and flavored protein powders). I was just wondering what you guys would use in making your own. Here is my current formula, note that i mix this in a 24oz workout bottle. I do a combination of running and lifting so sometimes on running days i leave out the creatine.

2 cups cranberry juice
1 cup green tea (brewed with 3 tea bags for extra strength)
agmatine
citrulline malate
potassium
1 scoop unflavored whey isolate (roughly 15g protein)
2 scoops unflavored bcaa's (10g total)
2 scoops glutamine (10g total)
1 scoop creatine mono (5g)
100mg caffeine
25mg DMAA
and a small pinch of salt (to compliment the potassium for electrolytes)

warbird01

warbird01

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I would add beta alenine and maybe COP if you had any interest in endurance. All looks great though, and you can get most of it from SNS for a great price :) Actually, I would wake out the glutamine.

mtinsideout

mtinsideout

Awards
  • Established
When I make this stuff I usually end up chugging half and then watering the rest down (to refill the bottle) and drink it while I workout. I figure the glutamine should be beneficial if I'm still drinking this stuff toward the end of my workout right? Also what is COP? I thought about beta alanine after listing this all out but i would probably only use it on my running days similar to how i use the creatine only on lifting days. Also any good alternatives to DMAA since it may be gone soon? I use it in combination with the caffeine for the energy I get from it.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
why do people preach beta alanine pre workout?

ForceOneSeven

Awards
Ok so at the moment I'm making my own preworkout drinks in an effort to reduce my intake of artificial sweeteners (which are in all pre workouts and flavored protein powders). I was just wondering what you guys would use in making your own. Here is my current formula, note that i mix this in a 24oz workout bottle. I do a combination of running and lifting so sometimes on running days i leave out the creatine.

2 cups cranberry juice
1 cup green tea (brewed with 3 tea bags for extra strength)
agmatine
citrulline malate
potassium
1 scoop unflavored whey isolate (roughly 15g protein)
2 scoops unflavored bcaa's (10g total)
2 scoops glutamine (10g total)
1 scoop creatine mono (5g)
100mg caffeine
25mg DMAA
and a small pinch of salt (to compliment the potassium for electrolytes)
I'd drop the bcaa's/Glutamine. Move the mono to post workout. Add 2 grams of Creatinol-o-phosphate and 2 grams of Tyrosine. In regards to adding Beta Alanine, no need to dose pre-workout. Beta Alanine is an amino that needs time to build in the system. Thus my recommendation is to get your daily amount(3-3.5grams) in doses spread evenly throughout the day. Also you might want to consider to dropping the potassium for potassium Nitrate due to the NO effects Nitrates have been shown to have.

ForceOneSeven

Awards
I thought about beta alanine after listing this all out but i would probably only use it on my running days
Beta Alanine needs to be in your system for weeks before you will feel it's effects. Taking it only on certain days will do nothing but make you feel like your crawling out of your skin.

mtinsideout

mtinsideout

Awards
  • Established
I'd drop the bcaa's/Glutamine. Move the mono to post workout. Add 2 grams of Creatinol-o-phosphate and 2 grams of Tyrosine. In regards to adding Beta Alanine, no need to dose pre-workout. Beta Alanine is an amino that needs time to build in the system. Thus my recommendation is to get your daily amount(3-3.5grams) in doses spread evenly throughout the day. Also you might want to consider to dropping the potassium for potassium Nitrate due to the NO effects Nitrates have been shown to have.
I get the logic behind moving the creatine to post workout but why drop the BCAA's/glutamine? Also where do you get food grade potassium nitrate? I'm not building rockets in backyard lol.

Beta Alanine needs to be in your system for weeks before you will feel it's effects. Taking it only on certain days will do nothing but make you feel like your crawling out of your skin.
Yea i know all about that feeling from various supps that have had beta alanine in it. Thanks for the heads up on that now I know i need to take it consistently.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
beta alanine is a saturation process, i also dont believe the hype about creatine post workout....

ForceOneSeven

Awards
I get the logic behind moving the creatine to post workout but why drop the BCAA's/glutamine? Also where do you get food grade potassium nitrate? I'm not building rockets in backyard lol.

Yea i know all about that feeling from various supps that have had beta alanine in it. Thanks for the heads up on that now I know i need to take it consistently.
BCAA are only necessary if training in a fasted state. If caloric requirements have been reached throughout the day then supplementing with an additional 10grams pre-work is pointless IMO. Alot of people may disagree with me but considering my own dieting patterns they do little to nothing for me. In regards to Glutamine...show me the data. Studies I have read suggest that Glutamine doesn't live up to the hype that big wig supplement companies like to place on it and in my eyes isn't worth the cash. In regards to Potassium Nitrate it can be found via the web for very cheap. I personally have only supplemented with other forms of Nitrates but essentially they will all do the same thing. Also, be mindful not to mix Nitrates as side effects may occur.

ForceOneSeven

Awards
[QUOTE=" i also dont believe the hype about creatine post workout....[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I take 5g daily. On workout days I choose to take it p/wo for convenience reasons. However this is a supplement that doesn't need to be timed just as long as you get the daily recommendations.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
beta alanine is a saturation process, i also dont believe the hype about creatine post workout....
agreed.

question on cit mal, as I have just began supplementing with it. is that based on saturation as well?

ForceOneSeven

Awards
agreed.

question on cit mal, as I have just began supplementing with it. is that based on saturation as well?
No it is not based on saturation like Beta Alanine. Dosages typically are around 3-8grams on Workout days only. For me thats 4 days a week

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
i use volatile with 1 scoop sns cit mal which also gets me 3g's of creatine hcl....

mtinsideout

mtinsideout

Awards
  • Established
No it is not based on saturation like Beta Alanine. Dosages typically are around 3-8grams on Workout days only. For me thats 4 days a week

Same question for agmatine?

ChrisW002

ChrisW002

Awards
In my opinion, you could leave in a lot of the stuff people are saying you dont need (even though you dont) since theyre ao cheap. Cant hurt. And the stuff that takes a while to saturate like beta alanine and creatine just take those on off days also. I make my own and i also add daa. Mine tastes gross but it works pretty well :) not as well as brand names but a lot less artifical sweetners like you said and wayyy cheaper. I do it for the prices.

warbird01

warbird01

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I wasn't implying that it needed to be taken pre workout. It's just convenient to throw into your pre workout shake.

mtinsideout

mtinsideout

Awards
  • Established
In my opinion, you could leave in a lot of the stuff people are saying you dont need (even though you dont) since theyre ao cheap. Cant hurt. And the stuff that takes a while to saturate like beta alanine and creatine just take those on off days also. I make my own and i also add daa. Mine tastes gross but it works pretty well :) not as well as brand names but a lot less artifical sweetners like you said and wayyy cheaper. I do it for the prices.

Yea the price is just another reason to make my own lol. The BCAA's, glutamine, agmatine and cit mal are recent additions and before those that mix actually tasted pretty good. I was taking Nitro 4 from Ironmag but figured I'd switch it up since hearing good things about agmatine and cit mal.

ChrisW002

ChrisW002

Awards
Yeah. BCAA are more beneficial after/between meals and stuff but taking them pwo isnt unheard of either. And if you buy in bulk taking a bit before costs almost nothing so your call :) good luck. You should post the final recipt and how it works and tastes once you figure it out.

You could add some b vitamins too to help turn your carbs to energy (if not taken with the meal before your workout.) but theyre water soluable so more wont hurt :)

ForceOneSeven

Awards
Here is a list of different ingredients I switch between for my pre-workout drinks. Use depends on what I am trying to accomplish etc. Add to the list and give feedback in regards to your dosages.

Cit. Mallate (3-8 grams)
Caffeine (200mg-400mg)
Tyrosine (2grams)
Taurine (3-4grams)
COP (2grams)
Agmatine( 1 gram, rarely use pre-workout)
Betatine (TMG)
Nitrates (Leucine, Potassium, Arginine, Creatine, Betatine)
LCLT (3grams)
PLCAR (3.5 grams)
Choline-CDP(range)
Alpha-GPC (range)

ChrisW002

ChrisW002

Awards
Force just listed a bunch of good ones. Taurine is a good one that i dont think anyone else mentioned.

mtinsideout

mtinsideout

Awards
  • Established
I'm thinking if I eat lunch at noon and workout at 8pm does that mean the BCAA's make sense for me since i haven't eaten in a while? At 3pm I have a 20g protein shake but other than that I don't really eat before workouts. Also this list:

Cit. Mallate (3-8 grams)
Caffeine (200mg-400mg)
Tyrosine (2grams)
Taurine (3-4grams)
COP (2grams): what is this?
Betatine (TMG)
Nitrates (Leucine, Potassium, Arginine, Creatine, Betatine): you buy these in bulk as nitrates?
LCLT (3grams)
PLCAR (3.5 grams): 2 forms of carnatine, why?
Choline-CDP(range)
Alpha-GPC (range)

ChrisW002

ChrisW002

Awards
Yeah thats a realllly long break of no food. And then your work out. Id say take bcaa every 2 hours after lunch, drink your shake closer to your workout like 6:30-7 (make it earlier if it makes you sick. Like too much milk or something.) And actually you should pack a turkey sandwhich or something for like 3-4. Bcaas are a supplement. As in they supplement your diet, cant be your diet for 6-8 hours haha.

And yeah creatine in bulk is soo cheap haha. I got like 5 years worth for one person (split between more people though) for like $60-$80 or something? It was a while ago. But if you go to a site that sells supps in bulk for supp companies you can get a lot of ingridents for a little money :)

Look at purebulk.com for an example. Ive gotten some stuff from there

ForceOneSeven

Awards
I'm thinking if I eat lunch at noon and workout at 8pm does that mean the BCAA's make sense for me since i haven't eaten in a while? At 3pm I have a 20g protein shake but other than that I don't really eat before workouts. Also this list:

Cit. Mallate (3-8 grams)
Caffeine (200mg-400mg)
Tyrosine (2grams)
Taurine (3-4grams)
COP (2grams): what is this?
Betatine (TMG)
Nitrates (Leucine, Potassium, Arginine, Creatine, Betatine): you buy these in bulk as nitrates?
LCLT (3grams)
PLCAR (3.5 grams): 2 forms of carnatine, why?
Choline-CDP(range)
Alpha-GPC (range)
COP: Creatinol-o-phosphate. This is not creatine! it's often misunderstood by people who have never heard of it.

Nitrates: No I do not buy these is bulk. Usually get them from a pre-work sup. Remember to dose one at a time. You do not want negative side effects to occur.

Carnitines: LCLT and PLCAR have two completely different effects. So depending on what I am looking for will depict my dosage.

Note: This is a comprehensive list. Just because it's listed doesn't mean I take them together before every workout. I pick and choose from this and create stacks depending on what stage of training i am in

ericool007

ericool007

Awards
  • Established
personally i would replace glutamine for some creatinol-o-phosphate as i wouldnt take glutamine if someone gave it to me for free, but hey thats just me.

ChrisW002

ChrisW002

Awards
Yeah speaking of what force just said- you should find your tollerance level for a lot of these seperatly. If i took 400mg of caffiene before lifting i would feel horrible haha. Some your "tollerance" (not really tollerance but wont really feel it) will be more than whats safe to take though so look at that too.

mtinsideout

mtinsideout

Awards
  • Established
COP: Creatinol-o-phosphate. This is not creatine! it's often misunderstood by people who have never heard of it.

Nitrates: No I do not buy these is bulk. Usually get them from a pre-work sup. Remember to dose one at a time. You do not want negative side effects to occur.

Carnitines: LCLT and PLCAR have two completely different effects. So depending on what I am looking for will depict my dosage.

Note: This is a comprehensive list. Just because it's listed doesn't mean I take them together before every workout. I pick and choose from this and create stacks depending on what stage of training i am in
Haha yea i figured after looking up some of these ingredients there is no way you'd be taking them all at once. Thanks for the input I'll have to do some research on this to see what is effective. Now that i know what COP stands for I have seen that before and heard good things. On my next round of supps I'll have to try it out.

ChrisW002

ChrisW002

Awards
Ahh yepp thats a good one too :) purebulk was that first one that came to mind haha.

But figure out what all you want and compare. From my expirence each ingrident's price varies from site to site.

Also a lot of those companies put their stuff on amazon so you go there too.

mtinsideout

mtinsideout

Awards
  • Established
personally i would replace glutamine for some creatinol-o-phosphate as i wouldnt take glutamine if someone gave it to me for free, but hey thats just me.
Man a lot of people on hear are hating on the glutamine... Just curious but can you link me to any studies on why to take the COP instead of glutamine? Just trying to learn lol.

mtinsideout

mtinsideout

Awards
  • Established
Yeah speaking of what force just said- you should find your tollerance level for a lot of these seperatly. If i took 400mg of caffiene before lifting i would feel horrible haha. Some your "tollerance" (not really tollerance but wont really feel it) will be more than whats safe to take though so look at that too.
That's why I stack 100mg caffeine with 25mg DMAA. It gives me the perfect amount of energy without giving me the jitters or anything. I'm looking for something to replace the DMAA though since that will probably off the market soon.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
outside sourcing isnt allowed....

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
Buy ehanced and add Max Pump.

Thank me later

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
i use volatile with 1 scoop sns cit mal which also gets me 3g's of creatine hcl....
Looked at and loved the profile of Volatile, looking for a pre to rotate with my Enhanced. I have tried craze and currently use C4 until my Enhanced arrives, how does Volatile compare if you have used either of those?

ForceOneSeven

Awards
C4 and enhanced are both great choices. Both utilize nitrates, Leucine for enhanced and arginine for c4. Love the choline CDP in the enhanced formula!

ForceOneSeven

Awards
Anyone know how long nutra is running the bundle stack for enhanced? Trying to get some funds together so I don't miss out on the deal.

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
1 scoop enhanced and 1 serve max pump should be good to go.

Its a small amount of luciene nitrate in 1 scoop enhanced, plus the CDP Choline is wicked with endurance of max pump

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
1 scoop enhanced and 1 serve max pump should be good to go.

Its a small amount of luciene nitrate in 1 scoop enhanced, plus the CDP Choline is wicked with endurance of max pump
Enhanced has a full studied dose of nitrates per scoop ;)

Technically, 1 serving of max pump actually contains an unsafe amount of nitrates.

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
Statement withdrawn.

mtinsideout

mtinsideout

Awards
  • Established
hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
ehhhh, i cant commit myself to the forums everyday, i just dont have the time to properly promote the products....

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
Its only a bit of sucralose.