Regarding BCAAs: Leucine/Isoleucine Ratio

Randoja

Randoja

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I recently switched from 4:1 to 2:1 based only on flavor, and was curious how much difference it makes and what is supposed to be better. I would also like to know what other forum members are taking as far as Amino Acids, what flavors are good, etc.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I don't know your answer so I'm subbed for replies. I take NPs bulk Modern BCAA 8:1 ratio, 80 servings at 10g/serving for 30 bucks right now. I've only tried the peach tea flavor. It tastes like a ghetto crystal light but I like it. Lemon lime Gatorade powder mixes well in it. I also picked up BSN AminoX just because it was 15 bucks at the PX when I was shopping, it's alright. It's blueberry flavored so I throw in some blueberry Gatorade. I've also thrown a scoop of Compete in with the modern BCAA. If anything, you can always pick up some bulk Leucine to add to your 2:1 product.

Colby

Colby

Awards
Ive been using NPs bulk modern bcaas as well,I'm liking the fruit punch mixed with sum mio fruit punch. I've used extend b4 but bulk modern bcaas r my go to. Plus they're cheap

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Leucine is king. 2:1:1 does have data, but so do other ratios. Leucine is the prime mTOR/MPS stimulator, it is ketogenic and less readily oxidized, and it appears to positively affect other markers like insulin sensitivity and fat storage patterns

02sixxer

02sixxer

Awards
2 : 1 is a good ratio so that means you are looking for a 2:1:1 product which there are tons of.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Leucine is king. 2:1:1 does have data, but so do other ratios. Leucine is the prime mTOR/MPS stimulator, it is ketogenic and less readily oxidized, and it appears to positively affect other markers like insulin sensitivity and fat storage patterns
Would you say that a 4:1:1 or an 8:1:1 might be more suited for post workout to stimulate mTOR and use the 2:1:1 for intra? This is my current protocol.

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I take only leucine. 10g on workout days.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Would you say that a 4:1:1 or an 8:1:1 might be more suited for post workout to stimulate mTOR and use the 2:1:1 for intra? This is my current protocol.
I just don't see why BCAAs would ever be used intraworkout. Unless you're hitting sufficient plasma levels of leucine, the effects are equipotent to carbohydrates, and the AAs will simply be used for gluconeogenesis/ketogenesis. In fact, even if you do reach plasma leucine levels, BCAAs are so prone to oxidation, and exercise is such an oxidative stimulus, that they will be used for energy anyway.

Cliffs: Large bolus of leucine preworkout.

Carbs intra if needed

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
I just don't see why BCAAs would ever be used intraworkout. Unless you're hitting sufficient plasma levels of leucine, the effects are equipotent to carbohydrates, and the AAs will simply be used for gluconeogenesis/ketogenesis. In fact, even if you do reach plasma leucine levels, BCAAs are so prone to oxidation, and exercise is such an oxidative stimulus, that they will be used for energy anyway.

Cliffs: High bolus of leucine preworkout.

Carbs intra if needed
I take them intra as more of a precautionary method than a need for energy. During lifting sessions all I have is water intra but for running I always have CHO + BCAAs.

I use BCAA's pre lifting and post as their is good evidence for both protocols. And intra during HIIT and LISS although honestly, I have never noticed anything different but nor do I expect to.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
I take them intra as more of a precautionary method than a need for energy. During lifting sessions all I have is water intra but for running I always have CHO + BCAAs.

I use BCAA's pre lifting and post as their is good evidence for both protocols. And intra during HIIT and LISS although honestly, I have never noticed anything different but nor do I expect to.
If you're tapping deep enough into energy reserves that glycogen gets depleted intraworkout, then they will be of ergogenic benefit. Taking BCAAs + carbs is a great idea if you're seeking anabolism, as the carbs have a protective effect on the oxidation of leucine

AdelV

AdelV

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Just all these timing n stuff! I got mates who take no supps and look unreal, then others who have proper diet/training/supps and look avg! Its so much overload for little effects I believe. Ive rarely noticed a diff from supplements, let alone bcaas. Ive just bought them again as I train first this in the morning before eating, figured it may help.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Just all these timing n stuff! I got mates who take no supps and look unreal, then others who have proper diet/training/supps and look avg! Its so much overload for little effects I believe. Ive rarely noticed a diff from supplements, let alone bcaas. Ive just bought them again as I train first this in the morning before eating, figured it may help.
Luck of the genetic draw, or perhaps they use something a little stronger? BCAA's won't make you huge, but they help switch the body from AMPK activation to mTOR (well leucine does) which is advantageous.

AdelV

AdelV

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Luck of the genetic draw, or perhaps they use something a little stronger? BCAA's won't make you huge, but they help switch the body from AMPK activation to mTOR (well leucine does) which is advantageous.
Im trying this now! I take 6.2g leucine before my work out as part of one of the products. Im not sure what to expect, ain't a huge eater and don't do cardio so it's like being limbo. Lol.

Randoja

Randoja

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks for all the help coop, you are a valuable and reliable source of great info.

Purus Labs Rep
Mobile post

Charm

Awards
Leucine is important 2:1:1. Most products carry 2:1:1 ratio.

HITFrank

HITFrank

Awards
  • Established

Carbs intra if needed
Is two servings of RecoverPro (8g of Leucine) sufficient pre-workout?

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Is two servings of RecoverPro (8g of Leucine) sufficient pre-workout?
Should be plenty (depending on weight). Aim for .045-.06g per kg of bwt.

TyMan14

TyMan14

Awards
  • Established
In for more. Ive always dropped 2 servings of bulk modern into a shaker, drank half intra, and drank the other half post as Ive read data on both of these dosing methods. Havent tried preworkout. I might after reading this thread though.

MonteRXS

MonteRXS

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established

Carbs intra if needed
What about fasted training? Would it be better for fat loss to consume my BCAAs post workout instead of during? I like to use AP pre-workout and then sip on BCAAs during training. The aa's are essentially being used as an energy source? Thanks for the help Coop.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
What about fasted training? Would it be better for fat loss to consume my BCAAs post workout instead of during? I like to use AP pre-workout and then sip on BCAAs during training. The aa's are essentially being used as an energy source? Thanks for the help Coop.
It is wise to look at everything as far as net anabolism/catabolism is concerned. Muscle anabolism will be lower but adipose catabolism will be higher if you don't take BCAAs preworkout. Is that consistent with your goals? Only you have the answer.

If you're using the BCAAs intraworkout, their primary fate will be fuel, yes.

MonteRXS

MonteRXS

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
It is wise to look at everything as far as net anabolism/catabolism is concerned. Muscle anabolism will be lower but adipose catabolism will be higher if you don't take BCAAs preworkout. Is that consistent with your goals? Only you have the answer.

If you're using the BCAAs intraworkout, their primary fate will be fuel, yes.
This is very helpful. I'm looking forward to a cut and I want to maximize fat loss while maintaining as much progress I've made, over the past year, as I can. I think I will switch my BCAA consumption to post-workout to hold me over till my fed state. I will give this a try for a few weeks and see how that treats me. Appreciate the insight.

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
And if your eating post, low carb. Skip the intra workout. No need, correct?

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
And if your eating post, low carb. Skip the intra workout. No need, correct?
Are you training fasted? There are benefits to intraworkout leucine supplementation for maintaining already elevated plasma leucine

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
Fasted.
Just leucine? So modern BCAAs are irrelevant, but a mix of say zero cal powerade with 10g plain leucine is g2g with fat loss as main determining factor

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Fasted.
Just leucine? So modern BCAAs are irrelevant, but a mix of say zero cal powerade with 10g plain leucine is g2g with fat loss as main determining factor
How longs your workout for?

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
1 hour MAX.
I will do shuttle's post workout as some HIIT training and conditioning.

mkretz

mkretz

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
so if i take in a shake 60 min preworkout i dont need bcaas intra? what about pwo cardio? is there a tiem frame where bcaas will be beneficial?Thanks!

Montego1

Montego1

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hey Doja the new Apple Fusion BCAA+SAA is off the chain. Amazing taste.

Riskyb

Awards
I like BCAAs intra workout, muscle sparing. Fat loss will occur regardless if calories are low