Best "non-jittery" pre-workout supplement?

cpa5oh

Awards
  • Established
I never bought into the pre-workout supplements as most made me feel real nervous and jittery...then I was screwing around and tried SoBe Adrenaline (sugar free.) I've been drinking one of these before each workout and I've been having great workout after great workout. (Very possible that it is some kind of placebo effect...but I've always been immune to that in the past.)

So I wanted to try another pre-workout supplement, but one that does not cause the nervous/shaky feeling that ephedrine (for me) always caused.

Can someone recommend something?

Thanks

SJA

SJA

dead sexy wino
Awards
  • Established
I never bought into the pre-workout supplements as most made me feel real nervous and jittery...then I was screwing around and tried SoBe Adrenaline (sugar free.) I've been drinking one of these before each workout and I've been having great workout after great workout. (Very possible that it is some kind of placebo effect...but I've always been immune to that in the past.)

So I wanted to try another pre-workout supplement, but one that does not cause the nervous/shaky feeling that ephedrine (for me) always caused.

Thanks
M5AA (if you want an androgen)
ALCAR (best if you use 1/4 - 1/2 tab of vasopro)

I have the jittery panicky feeling with ephedrine as well. BUt I found that if I only use it pre-workout stacked with ALCAR and in small doses that I don't get the jitters or crash, but I feel more motivated.

BeyondDriven

Awards
Diesel Fuel. You can take from 1 - 3 pre WO and it will not make you jittery.
May make you horny as hell when it is wearing off though! (don't ask me why. Some
kind of herb it it)

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
H.E.A.T., and green tea give me lasting energy all day, and then some for my workout.

kraftkid

kraftkid

Awards
  • Established
I get the same jitters so to speak, but I've found if you eat it with some food, it will not hit you that way.

Without food, try Scorch from MAN. I find it to give me a smooth bit of energy without the shakes. Plus, that in combination with Sesathin are a great weightloss stack without even changing your diet. HOWEVER - I do not recommend stacking Scorch with Syneburn like they recommend on some sites. That will give you fits if you are stim sensitive as for me it really comes with an energy crash at the end.

max silver

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Try legal gear powertrain, this along with a few grams of l-tyrosine makes a great pre-workout energizer.

Khryz

Awards
I'm really sorry to bring this thread back but for the love of god who is the girl in your avatar Max Silver??

RMT

Board Supporter
Awards
I just started using Black Star Labs "GO" about a week and a half and notice quite a bit of difference when I'm working out and a little tired before the work out.

Give it a try, the price ain't too bad either.

RMT
(Doh!!! Sorry just noticed the dates on the posts too.....)

size

Awards
  • Established
Probably will not give you the effect you are looking for but I prefer taking a Bcomplex a short time before exercise when I am tired.

hushdrops

Awards
Methyl-Rage

a lifting bud of mine swears that Methyl-Rage gets him in an almost trance-like state before and during workouts, i haven't tried it myself as of yet but it makes sense based on the benefits of the substance...

have you tried M-DHT?

x_muscle

Awards
  • Established
VPX red line, only stimulate that dosnt make me jitry or shaky. i get good energy from it.

ItriedtoripoffBobosonowIamgonehaveaniceday

What! Be careful, if you take enough of Red Line it could make you very shaky and nervous! I once took 3 bottles of the RTD when I was at work at the Vitamin Shoppe and I was acting like it was "Coke in a can baby! Redballs...I mean Redline is a great energy supp! At least the RTD is!

AcuDoc

Board Supporter
Awards
Probably will not give you the effect you are looking for but I prefer taking a Bcomplex a short time before exercise when I am tired.
I like the Bs also. I take 1-2mg of B12 preworkout and really like the feel it gives.

AcuDoc

Board Supporter
Awards
What type of B12? Sublingual, liquid, etc?
I've used sublingual liquid before but right now I'm using Pure Encapsulation's Methylcobalamin. There are different b12s (cobalamins) and cynaocobalamin is the most common form. The methylcobalamin is in capsule form. I really like it.

I've been using it for the past several months- I get it wholesale because I order diff supplements for my patients. I tried to copy some abstracts from Adobe on methylcobalamin but it's not working. If I can I'll post them later.

Aeternitatis

Aeternitatis

Awards
  • Established
This is what I make for my clients and take myself:

ALCAR 4.7g
L-tyrosine 2.5g
Betaine 890mg
Choline bitartrate 480
Choline citrate 420
Glucuronolactone 830mg
Caffeine 150mg
Emer-gen-C 1.6g (168mg mineral ascorbates)
Ascorbic acid 37mg

Add in a B-complex and you're gold. I make mine sour pineapple-orange flavor.

chasec

Pityin' fools since '81
Awards
  • Established
head over to avant and look up the AMP threads. PA has a hot product on his hands if he can keep it legal. the rumor is it's a analogue of a controlled narcotic; but who cares?

size

Awards
  • Established
head over to avant and look up the AMP threads. PA has a hot product on his hands if he can keep it legal. the rumor is it's a analogue of a controlled narcotic; but who cares?
Is it "non-jittery"?

AcuDoc

Board Supporter
Awards
Size, you could also try Astragalus (huang qi) extract at double whatever dose is on the bottle. It is very safe and used to increase energy. I use it off and on. If you try it make sure it's the extract not just the powdered herb.

Syr

Syr

Hot Italian Goldmember
Awards
  • Established
Size, you could also try Astragalus (huang qi) extract at double whatever dose is on the bottle. It is very safe and used to increase energy. I use it off and on. If you try it make sure it's the extract not just the powdered herb.
Astralgus is great for protecting your liver too!
I have to try it yet.

Syr

Syr

Hot Italian Goldmember
Awards
  • Established

Thanks
I never have such feelings. And i tried many stimulants. I dont respond well to them and i think that most is a waste of money. I think real strenght and endurance are a better thing (in one word: CEE).
Recently I'm trying taurine pre-workout and i'm liking it. I really must add ALCAR.

B12... i take the last 1-2 grams after the third meal which is about 2h before gym, dunno if some energy stays from it.

meathead1987

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
This is what I make for my clients and take myself:

ALCAR 4.7g
L-tyrosine 2.5g
Betaine 890mg
Choline bitartrate 480
Choline citrate 420
Glucuronolactone 830mg
Caffeine 150mg
Emer-gen-C 1.6g (168mg mineral ascorbates)
Ascorbic acid 37mg

Add in a B-complex and you're gold. I make mine sour pineapple-orange flavor.
Thats a shitload of ALCAR. I would up the betaine and choline dose 2.

Aeternitatis

Aeternitatis

Awards
  • Established
Thats a shitload of ALCAR. I would up the betaine and choline dose 2.
You think so? Oh, and the B-complex I use has an extra 100mg of choline. So, that's about a gram of choline, you really think it should be increased? Mind you, taste is a factor and choline is like fish. Also, I have to fit this into either a tablespoon or a 20cc scoop ( which is slightly bigger).

Dude, yeah, you're right:

"A study on the pharmacokinetics of oral L-carnitine in human subjects found no differences in plasma carnitine after 2 g vs. 6 g, indicating that 2 g is already more than the saturable dose." --D.Tolson

AND

" The dosage of choline is generally 1-2 times that of carnitine."--D.Tolson

I actualy wanted 3g of ALCAR but somewhere I forked up the math and ended with more than what I wanted of ALCAR and caffeine. It's a good thing I reduced the caffeine amount at the last second (on a hunch) though otherwise it would've been like 250mg per scoop.

Well, I've already sold more than half of the mix off so I guess I'll go back to the drawing board and fine tune some things. Thanks a lot for bringing those dosages to my attention.

Aeternitatis

Aeternitatis

Awards
  • Established
You like that do ya?
I notice you just started with taurine and you are enjoying it. Me too. Taurine is so cheap and works great. I really am surprised that more people don't use simple things like taurine and ALCAR.

Syr

Syr

Hot Italian Goldmember
Awards
  • Established
You like that do ya?
I notice you just started with taurine and you are enjoying it. Me too. Taurine is so cheap and works great. I really am surprised that more people don't use simple things like taurine and ALCAR.
Yeah! It is! You never stop learning.

I was just thinking to start a new thread instead i ask here.
I'm taking taurine only on workout days as stimulant. which benefits i would have taking every day (5g is my dose and i'm small). Its really cheap and i got a kilo bulk.

Aeternitatis

Aeternitatis

Awards
  • Established
Well, BSL came out with Osmolyte some time ago. It's a cell hydration supplement and primarily works off of taurine and betaine. I'm guessing at amounts and would say about 5 grams taurine and 2 grams betaine (TMG) everyday/preworkout.

OsmolyteAmount Per Serving:
Total fat: 0
Calories from fat: 0
Total carbohydrates: 0
Protein: 5,600mg
Sodium: 50mg
Potassium: 50mg
Niacinamide: 100mg

Active Ingredients:
Free form L taurine, ultra pure tri-methyl glycine, glucuronolactone, malic acid, niacinamide, potassium mono-phoshpate, calcium phosphate, sodium chloride, citric acid.

Directions: To maintain optimal cellular hydration and fullness, consume one to two servings of OSMOLYTE 10-30 minutes prior to physical activity in 6-12 oz. of of your favorite beverge, or stacking OSMOLYTE with Black Star Labs other scientifically developed performance products such as Kreataine Ultra or BCAA Acvanced will yield exceptional results in muscular fullness, improved performance and energetic enzyme protection.

chuckymiller

Awards
Cre-Ethyl Thunder from CNW does great for me and the Missus

Syr

Syr

Hot Italian Goldmember
Awards
  • Established
Well, BSL came out with Osmolyte some time ago. It's a cell hydration supplement and primarily works off of taurine and betaine. I'm guessing at amounts and would say about 5 grams taurine and 2 grams betaine (TMG) everyday/preworkout.
Very interesting... Betaine is something else i must look out.

meathead1987

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
You think so? Oh, and the B-complex I use has an extra 100mg of choline. So, that's about a gram of choline, you really think it should be increased? Mind you, taste is a factor and choline is like fish. Also, I have to fit this into either a tablespoon or a 20cc scoop ( which is slightly bigger).

Dude, yeah, you're right:

"A study on the pharmacokinetics of oral L-carnitine in human subjects found no differences in plasma carnitine after 2 g vs. 6 g, indicating that 2 g is already more than the saturable dose." --D.Tolson

AND

" The dosage of choline is generally 1-2 times that of carnitine."--D.Tolson

I actualy wanted 3g of ALCAR but somewhere I forked up the math and ended with more than what I wanted of ALCAR and caffeine. It's a good thing I reduced the caffeine amount at the last second (on a hunch) though otherwise it would've been like 250mg per scoop.

Well, I've already sold more than half of the mix off so I guess I'll go back to the drawing board and fine tune some things. Thanks a lot for bringing those dosages to my attention.
I personally find 3g ALCAR to be better than 2g, but that is definately the ceiling for me. Something along the lines of:

2g ALCAR
2g tyrosine
2g Choline citrate(dont bother with bitartrate, absorbtion sucks!!)
3g betaine
200mg caffeine
750mg histidine
1g beta alanine

comes to ~11g a time. Not sure if that would fit into a 20CC scoop, but I assume so.

meathead1987

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Yeah! It is! You never stop learning.

I was just thinking to start a new thread instead i ask here.
I'm taking taurine only on workout days as stimulant. which benefits i would have taking every day (5g is my dose and i'm small). Its really cheap and i got a kilo bulk.
Try doses of ~20g a day(its cheap). There is a definite volumising effect. Comparible to creatine IMO. You can also say bye bye to any cramps that some people experience in the night.

Syr

Syr

Hot Italian Goldmember
Awards
  • Established
Try doses of ~20g a day(its cheap). There is a definite volumising effect. Comparible to creatine IMO. You can also say bye bye to any cramps that some people experience in the night.
I never experience cramps (and i'm on SD now). I'm small and most recommends only 5g. I think i'll go for 10g ED :)
I'm looking to find what to stack. ALCAR or Betaine... I take Body Octane morning and night and it has already some carnitine. I've read somewhere else that Taurine and Beta-Alanine must NOT be taken at the same time, so I would never take BO with Taurine.

Edit: I DONT get cell-volumizing effect from creatine, just strenght. But that's fine for me. I'm off CEX for now.

meathead1987

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Stack ALCAR as BO already has betaine. The Carnitine in BO is LCLT. Which has different effects to ALCAR.

I would do:

AM BO
Midday 5g taurine
Pre workout BO + ALCAR
Post Workout 5g taurine

Syr

Syr

Hot Italian Goldmember
Awards
  • Established
Stack ALCAR as BO already has betaine. The Carnitine in BO is LCLT. Which has different effects to ALCAR.

I would do:

AM BO
Midday 5g taurine
Pre workout BO + ALCAR
Post Workout 5g taurine
No, I will do this:

AM: BO
Midday: I take the PS and various protectants already. Not adding more stuff at this time :)
Afternoon /Pre-workout: 5g taurine + ALCAR (after my current cycle i will start using CEE again)
Post-workout: 5g taurine
Nighttime: BO

Explanation: I prefer to space 12h the citrulline malate across the day and I dont care of the slight stimulating effect i would have during training. Taurine already gave me more than the times i took BO or any arginine-based stuff.

So, i'm going to buy alcar :)
I've seen the primaforce caps at a very good price.

This would make 5g taurine on normal days and 10g on training days.
What about ALCAR? How much should i take? 3g? Also, do u suggest to take it every day or on training days only? Note that i workout only 3/week, so that makes a huge difference in my budget.

meathead1987

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
ALCAR is dirt cheap @ www.nutraplanet.com are offering 1kg ALCAR for $50. That sould last ages.

The CNS effects of ALCAR are instant, so you can just take it pre workout if you want to. 1.5-2g works fine, but some see results from ~1g. Start low and see what works for you.

Aeternitatis

Aeternitatis

Awards
  • Established
Body Octane does not have betaine in it (unless there's a new formula I haven't seen that just came out). DEFEINITELY add betaine(TMG) to BO, it would work great. I'm also surptised that you aren't taking BO like 30 minutes preworkout.

If you're going to add ALCAR then buy it in bulk. But I see no need to take it if you're taking BO everyday. I don't know the differences between ALCAR and LCLT but I can't imagine they're all that significant. Then again, ALCAR and regular carnitine are pretty different. And I wouldn't go above 10g per day of L-taurine.

Prices at CNW are:
1 kilo taurine: $20
1 kilo ALCAR: $55
1 kilo betaine: $30

Good prices, but don't worry about buying whole kilos unless you like it so much you want to stock up (like me). I reccomend CNW because they have a wider selection of bulk powders than nutraplanet does (and cheaper shipping).

Aeternitatis

Aeternitatis

Awards
  • Established
No, I will do this:

AM: BO
Midday: I take the PS and various protectants already. Not adding more stuff at this time :)
Afternoon /Pre-workout: 5g taurine + ALCAR (after my current cycle i will start using CEE again)
Post-workout: 5g taurine
Nighttime: BO

Explanation: I prefer to space 12h the citrulline malate across the day and I dont care of the slight stimulating effect i would have during training. Taurine already gave me more than the times i took BO or any arginine-based stuff.

So, i'm going to buy alcar :)
I've seen the primaforce caps at a very good price.

This would make 5g taurine on normal days and 10g on training days.
What about ALCAR? How much should i take? 3g? Also, do u suggest to take it every day or on training days only? Note that i workout only 3/week, so that makes a huge difference in my budget.
This looks pretty damn good. If you really want volume effects from taurine, it helps to add 1-2 grams betaine. If you really want CNS effect from the preworkout ALCAR you gotta add choline. I personally take ALCAR everyday for the nutrient partitioning effects and anti-aging effects.

Syr

Syr

Hot Italian Goldmember
Awards
  • Established
This looks pretty damn good. If you really want volume effects from taurine, it helps to add 1-2 grams betaine. If you really want CNS effect from the preworkout ALCAR you gotta add choline. I personally take ALCAR everyday for the nutrient partitioning effects and anti-aging effects.
My problem is that i dont live in the US and finding bulk powders in EU is damn difficult. Importing more than 100-200g incurs in customs issues that i want to avoid like pest.

So, I will check to the cost and dosage ratio of the primaforce caps and see if it worth. I want the partitioning effect of ALCAR and i'm not sure of the carnitine-tartarate in BO about that effect. I was considering Leptigen Mass, but thats all but cheap.
I'll look into betaine too.

GTOman

Board Supporter
Awards
Redline by VPX.
I'm on my second bottle and I'm loving the stuff. I take 5ml before morning cardio and I feel like I can go all day, I have to wear my HR monitor to make sure I stay in my target HR zone. I don't get any of the jitters or the crash that I normally get with an EC stack.

Aeternitatis

Aeternitatis

Awards
  • Established
Anti-aging effects? Your 20!. I feel sorry for how your gonna feel when your my age if you feel you have to take something for anti-aging at 20 years old!
Never too young to start! :)
Actually, I just use the anti-aging term as an umbrella to cover all sorts of enhanced recovery effects. But it really does have anti-aging effects beyond the usual anti-oxidant combo, et cetera.

pharmitect

Awards
L-carnitine isn't ALCAR, and I would not assume that the pharmacokinetics are the same. I'd also say that blood levels are less important than cellular or even mitochondrial levels, since that's where carnitine (and presumably ALCAR) actually do their thing. Cellular levels might correlate with blood levels, or perhaps not. In some cases cells will take nutrients from the blood, but only down to a certain level. This produces a ceiling in serum levels even though cellular levels keep rising. I don't know if this applies to carnitine or ALCAR but it is a possibility.

On the other hand, for most people even 3g is a sizable dose. I've known people to get insomnia if they took even 1g too close to bedtime. I personally seem to have a high tolerance. 5g is my typical dose, and I don't find that to be much of a stimulant, but I'm definitely unusual in that respect.

If people aren't having problems from the dose you're using, I would not worry too much. But maybe 3g would be better for the next batch.

italionstallion

Awards
  • Established
i have been liking
3 g taurine
2.5 g alcar
200 mg ginkgo biloba

this is in addition to dymatize xpand

Aeternitatis

Aeternitatis

Awards
  • Established
I hear ya.

What I would really like to add to my blend is some vinpocetine, hupzerine, and ginkgo (such as what's sold at 1fast).