Intra Workout nutrition

chainsaw

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I have been using Xtend during workouts, recently I switched to ModernBCAA. Seeing how these are both BCAA's should the inclusion of EAA's be beneficial? Why wouldn't EAA's be considered for intraworkout purposes?

VaughnTrue

VaughnTrue

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The inclusion of EAA's would absolutely be beneficial. This is why Compete offers a full spectrum of amino acids via Whey Protein Hydrolysate. BCAA's are good, however they are incapable of increasing intra-muscular amino acid concentrations while exercising. This is altered by adding in EAA's.

BCAA intake affects protein metabolism in muscle after but not during exercise in humans
Copenhagen Muscle Research Centre, Rigshospitalet, DK-2200 Copenhagen N, Denmark Submitted 5 July 2000

chainsaw

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Do you have a BCAA and EAA profile of WPH? WPH was popular a couple years ago as I used in PWO because fast absorbtion and less GI issue compared to just WPC. Back in the day I would use just whey during workout for this effect, got the method from book Nutrient Timing, good read.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
formutech's endurance has a great profile for pre, intra, post workout...

SXIPro

SXIPro

Awards
  • Established
How long are you guys working out for where you feel an intra-workout supplement is necessary. I mean, if you take a pre-workout, then guzzle a shake when yoour done, wouldn't that suffice?

I can see maybe during an endurance sport, but I sure as hell am not lifting for hours on end.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
depends on multiple variables....i normally train fasted

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
basically if you have eaten a meal within 2-3 hours before working out with protein in it, the main purpose the BCAAs will have is boosting protein synthesis rates. The EAAs aren't necessary for that, you could get pretty much the same effect from leucine solo. Now if you are talking about going 6-8 hours between meals, an EAA drink in the middle is a nice idea.

PuZo

Awards
  • Established
How long are you guys working out for where you feel an intra-workout supplement is necessary. I mean, if you take a pre-workout, then guzzle a shake when yoour done, wouldn't that suffice?

I can see maybe during an endurance sport, but I sure as hell am not lifting for hours on end.
Helping increase rest time between sets. I personally love using Compete for sports.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
BCAA's are ample for during a workut; considering they are the only ones to get utilized as fuel during workouts. Intra workout is too sustain a workout without putting to much stress on the G.I. tract (which will divert blood from the brain and muscles to digest things, not that EAAs fall into this category though). Save what isn't necessary for post (BCAA's go down well- as does leucine which is one BCAA).

ideally you want AMPK to remain activated during a workout and then utilize other substrates post workout to get mTOR activated.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
basically if you have eaten a meal within 2-3 hours before working out with protein in it, the main purpose the BCAAs will have is boosting protein synthesis rates. The EAAs aren't necessary for that, you could get pretty much the same effect from leucine solo. Now if you are talking about going 6-8 hours between meals, an EAA drink in the middle is a nice idea.
i agree with this. btw, i love to take modern bcaa intra workout.

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Helping increase rest time between sets. I personally love using Compete for sports.
Agreed, and using this pre-contest right now with my training very intense, it has helped me big time since I get little to no rest between sets!

Mike

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
BCAA's are ample for during a workut; considering they are the only ones to get utilized as fuel during workouts. Intra workout is too sustain a workout without putting to much stress on the G.I. tract (which will divert blood from the brain and muscles to digest things, not that EAAs fall into this category though). Save what isn't necessary for post (BCAA's go down well- as does leucine which is one BCAA).

ideally you want AMPK to remain activated during a workout and then utilize other substrates post workout to get mTOR activated.
This guy repeatedly speaks truth, very knowledgeable and consistent resource.

- Valdez

mikeg313

mikeg313

Awards
  • Established
I used to use an intra workout by vpx that I liked. Can't remember the name. Mainly BCAAs and some other stuff. I used it rather than a pwo being stim sensitive. I know the brand isn't that great but I got one fee and put it to use. Wasn't bad. Not really lacking without the use of one though.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
I used to use an intra workout by vpx that I liked. Can't remember the name. Mainly BCAAs and some other stuff. I used it rather than a pwo being stim sensitive. I know the brand isn't that great but I got one fee and put it to use. Wasn't bad. Not really lacking without the use of one though.
no-synthesize

SXIPro

SXIPro

Awards
  • Established
Maybe I need a translator. How does a supplement help increase rest time? So, you are saying it makes rest time longer??? This makes no sense to me. If you want more rest time, just rest longer.

bdcc

bdcc

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Maybe I need a translator. How does a supplement help increase rest time? So, you are saying it makes rest time longer??? This makes no sense to me. If you want more rest time, just rest longer.
I noticed that too lol.

I assume he meant decrease rest intervals. Unless he is saying Compete decreases someone's conditioning levels lol. :)

VaughnTrue

VaughnTrue

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I noticed that too lol.

I assume he meant decrease rest intervals. Unless he is saying Compete decreases someone's conditioning levels lol. :)
he meant decreases rest between sets. That's one of the biggest things people note while taking Compete.

In my opinion, its due to the extra ATP production brought on by L-Carnitine Fumarate

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I noticed that too lol.

haha yes, we made a product, to make you worse :p

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Not trying to pimp but I will. I have tried a variety and IMHO purple wrath is tried and true. All that have been mentioned here offer benefits, without question, however, I have experienced great results from PW from day 1. Quicker recovery between sets and quicker recovery from the work out in general. You can't go wrong.

Kingjake

Kingjake

Awards
Not trying to pimp but I will. I have tried a variety and IMHO purple wrath is tried and true. All that have been mentioned here offer benefits, without question, however, I have experienced great results from PW from day 1. Quicker recovery between sets and quicker recovery from the work out in general. You can't go wrong.
I do agreed purple wrath is great and probably my favorite but I only get it every so often because of cost. On a side note I just order some inner armour BCAA 6.2 g L-Leucine per scoop. Figured I'd give it a try. My go to's are usually xtend or Amino both priced pretty fairly. I lift fasted.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards

I agree with this. Except for the part about the brain, which is priority #1 for cardiovascular regulation under all conditions ;)

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
I agree with this. Except for the part about the brain, which is priority #1 for cardiovascular regulation under all conditions ;)
Haha, I should've just left it at muscles then ;)

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote

aceroni

Awards
Yeah but thats for enhancing protein synthesis post workout, i.e. a shift from AMPK phosphorylation to mTOR activation. And Leucine is alsBCAA (which was the primary EAA of interest) so wouldn't BCAA intake do pretty much the same thing?
So what is the best way to keep AMPK elevated? Is maximizing protein synthesis via 4g leu enough?

Also what is the best way to switch that from AMPK to mTOR during post workout?
Would whey isolate with 4g leu and some fast acting carbs be adequate?

I'd research it but i'm at work and also on my phone..

Thank you all in advance for your response. This thread seems to have allot of good info.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
So what is the best way to keep AMPK elevated? Is maximizing protein synthesis via 4g leu enough?

Also what is the best way to switch that from AMPK to mTOR during post workout?
Would whey isolate with 4g leu and some fast acting carbs be adequate?

I'd research it but i'm at work and also on my phone..

Thank you all in advance for your response. This thread seems to have allot of good info.
Ideally you just want AMPK activated during a workout session, because it increases lipid oxidation and glucose transport. After exercise you want to activate mTOR which is done primarily by Leucine (hence why BCAA's or Leucine may be a good idea to supplement with to activate this pathway, or foods rich in Leucine.

Post exercise CHo supplement can restore protein balance and an attenuation of 3-MH excretion, this process can last up to 24hrs post exercise following a CHO/ protein meal. Insulin (bought out via CHO) can decrease protein degradation folowing resistance exercise.

EAA's and BCAAs are prime during this time period following exercise as they increase the sensitivity of the muscle to the protein stimulatory effects of insulin but again, this is largely the role of Leucine (which is in both EAA and BCAA supplements).

As for dosing, 5-10g maybe of Leucine Post workout

aceroni

Awards
Ideally you just want AMPK activated during a workout session, because it increases lipid oxidation and glucose transport. After exercise you want to activate mTOR which is done primarily by Leucine (hence why BCAA's or Leucine may be a good idea to supplement with to activate this pathway, or foods rich in Leucine.

Post exercise CHo supplement can restore protein balance and an attenuation of 3-MH excretion, this process can last up to 24hrs post exercise following a CHO/ protein meal. Insulin (bought out via CHO) can decrease protein degradation folowing resistance exercise.

EAA's and BCAAs are prime during this time period following exercise as they increase the sensitivity of the muscle to the protein stimulatory effects of insulin but again, this is largely the role of Leucine (which is in both EAA and BCAA supplements).

As for dosing, 5-10g maybe of Leucine Post workout
So is there much point to bcaa during training if they're needed most post

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
So is there much point to bcaa during training if they're needed most post
Yeah they play a role in intra workout as well.

aceroni

Awards
I was actually looking at usp labs bcaa product, I noticed it had electrolytes, and around 4 g leu a scoop

steveups

Awards
During the last 3yrs i have tried many intraworkout supplements... Atomic 7,,Strive,,Xtend,,Modern BCAA,,Purple Wraath,, purple Psyko,,Power Shock,,recoverpro,,recoup,,aminolast,,xf ice, and a few others. of all that i have tried only 2 have made a difference during my workouts and after my workouts that i can actually feel make a difference. Sizeon max preformance A very good intra topped only by the king of intraworkout INTRABOLIC. every time i try a new intra i regret it and go back to intrabolic. i have been thinking about trying iforce Compete for a while now but dont really wanna be dissapointed once again,,

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
I was actually looking at usp labs bcaa product, I noticed it had electrolytes, and around 4 g leu a scoop
Added electrolytes will benefit long duration workouts (over say 90 minutes+) more than anything, or unless you sweat a alot. It won't do you any harm though, so the added electrolytes with BCAA will help you with long duration HIIT or LISS.

But for short workouts, it won't make too much of a difference.

aceroni

Awards
Added electrolytes will benefit long duration workouts (over say 90 minutes+) more than anything, or unless you sweat a alot. It won't do you any harm though, so the added electrolytes with BCAA will help you with long duration HIIT or LISS.

But for short workouts, it won't make too much of a difference.
Thank you for the reply jiggz. I usually lift between one to two hours, and I sweat like a dog no matter what

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The electrolytes are awesome That is what I love about compete, it contains electrolytes.

Mike

newbreed

Awards
Been using that since it came out. Love the electrolytes, the amount of leucine, the form of glutamine (Sustamine) that has better stability in water, no artificial coloring, and the flavor which isn't too aggressive.

aceroni

Awards
Been using that since it came out. Love the electrolytes, the amount of leucine, the form of glutamine (Sustamine) that has better stability in water, no artificial coloring, and the flavor which isn't too aggressive.
I didn't even realize they had a more stable form of glutamine.
Cheers m8