Garlic Extract

RobInKuwait

RobInKuwait

Awards
  • Established
Garlic Extract and the Prostate

I was reading one of my back issues of Muscular Development on the toilet today, and there were two short sections on garlic supplementation. One claimed that Garlic Supplements are anabolic and anti-catabolic, and the other said that Garlic Supplementation shrinks prostate size.

I already supplement with a fairly large quantity of saw palmetto, but I still have prostate issues on occasion. I'm gonna try Garlic out and see if it helps. Anyone have any experience with Garlic?

If it helps I'll let you know. I'm on 75mg of MDHT ED, which is a recipe for prostate issues (I've already felt some problems) , so I'll post on this thread what, if any the results I see.

Last edited:
Dutchman

Dutchman

Awards
  • Established
I heard that Rob but upon investigating it I was surprised that another allium product, scullions, are even better. Time to increase my intake of each.

"WASHINGTON (AP) -- A diet rich in garlic, shallots and onions may cut the risk of prostate cancer in half, according to a study.
The study, appearing this week in the Journal of the National Cancer Institute, is based on interviews with 238 men with prostate cancer and 471 men who were free of the disease.

Men in the study, all residents of Shanghai, China, were asked how frequently they ate 122 food items.

The results showed that those who ate more than a third of an ounce (nine grams) a day from the allium food group were about 50 percent less likely to have prostate cancer than those who ate less of the foods. The allium food group includes garlic, scallions, chives, leeks and onions.

Scallions seemed to be the most protective. According to the study, men who ate about a tenth of an ounce or more a day of scallions reduced their prostate cancer risk by about 70 percent. For garlic consumption of the same amount, the prostate cancer risk was reduced by about 53 percent.

"The reduced risk of prostate cancer associated with allium vegetables was independent of body size, intake of other foods and total calorie intake and was more pronounced for men with localized than with advanced prostate cancer," the study authors reported.

The authors acknowledged that there were "several potential limitations" to the study, including its dependence on self-reported food consumption data.

The study was conducted by researchers at the National Cancer Institute, one of the National Institutes of Health, and at the Shanghai Cancer Institute in Shanghai, China."

size

Awards
  • Established
I believe that garlic is essential.

Garlic is a wonderful substance and it has a wide range of well-documented effects. It has been used throughout history and even today in helping to fight infection and boost immune function, cancer prevention, and the cardiovascular benefits of lowering cholesterol and blood pressure. All of these beneficial effects of garlic are attributed to its sulfur-containing compounds, in particular allicin. Allicin is mainly responsible for the pungent odor of garlic. Allicin is found in fresh garlic and some select products. Fresh garlic works because the grinding process results in allicin. Allicin is produced by an enzymatic reaction when raw garlic is either crushed or somehow injured. The enzyme, alliinase, stored in a separate compartment in garlic, combines with a compound called alliin in raw garlic and produces allicin.

Allicin is not present in typical garlic tabs. "Research conducted at the Chemistry Department of the University of California showed that commercial garlic products on the market all contain an undetectable amount (<1 ppm) of allicin." So if you opt for galric tabs over eating garlic daily, make certain to get high quality tabs. Garlic Factors from Natural Factors has tested well in its yield of allicin and Allimax is a pure allicin capsule.

RobInKuwait

RobInKuwait

Awards
  • Established
Wow, good information. Thanks Dutchman and Size.

Dutchman: One thing I'm curious about after reading that study is whether eating more than the nine ounce servings from the allium food group they reported in the study would have an increasingly beneficial effect. Any thoughts on this?

Size: How do I know if my Garlic Supplement has Allicin in it? Mine doesn't say one way or another. It just says its concentrated garlic. I'm taking "Exchange Select Garlic Supplement", which was pretty cheap, and is the store brand for the Army PX.

size

Awards
  • Established
Size: How do I know if my Garlic Supplement has Allicin in it? Mine doesn't say one way or another. It just says its concentrated garlic. I'm taking "Exchange Select Garlic Supplement", which was pretty cheap, and is the store brand for the Army PX.
Then it probably has none. The label should say if allicin is found within the tablet, if it says nothing then the tablets are junk. In any case, you could just eat raw garlic daily.

jinkillkill

Banned
Awards
why not just hold your breathe, chew up a couple of bulbs and rinse with water.
nothing beats raw garlic.

size

Awards
  • Established
why not just hold your breathe, chew up a couple of bulbs and rinse with water.
nothing beats raw garlic.

Eating raw garlic daily is a great option. Unfortunately though, not everyone is willing to do this.

RobInKuwait

RobInKuwait

Awards
  • Established
Eating raw garlic daily is a great option. Unfortunately though, not everyone is willing to do this.
I love the taste of garlic, but unfortunately my wife hates the smell and I guess the smell comes out of my pores when I have eat it.

SJA

SJA

dead sexy wino
Awards
  • Established
Bump to this since CNW has allicin powder in stock.
Question: I get very bad bloat and gas from eating garlic (which pisses me off since I love it). Would the allicin powder have the same effect?

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
It should not make you smell. If you go to your local Whole Foods or other good health food store, you'll find a pretty large selection of allicin products, some labeled 'odorless'.

size

Awards
  • Established
Bump to this since CNW has allicin powder in stock.
Question: I get very bad bloat and gas from eating garlic (which pisses me off since I love it). Would the allicin powder have the same effect?
I am excited to see the Custom carries this. I have never had any problems when taking only allicin.

Snachito

Board Supporter
Awards
I am excited to see the Custom carries this. I have never had any problems when taking only allicin.
size, what would be the recommended dosage for allicin powder?

size

Awards
  • Established
size, what would be the recommended dosage for allicin powder?
Dosages are rather scattered; I have seen recommended dosages from 3-100mg daily. I think a good range to aim for is 5-25mg daily.

BryanM

Awards
  • Established
I was reading one of my back issues of Muscular Development on the toilet today, and there were two short sections on garlic supplementation. One claimed that Garlic Supplements are anabolic and anti-catabolic, and the other said that Garlic Supplementation shrinks prostate size.

I already supplement with a fairly large quantity of saw palmetto, but I still have prostate issues on occasion. I'm gonna try Garlic out and see if it helps. Anyone have any experience with Garlic?

If it helps I'll let you know. I'm on 75mg of MDHT ED, which is a recipe for prostate issues (I've already felt some problems) , so I'll post on this thread what, if any the results I see.
Ok TRUST ME ON THIS ONE

saw palmetto sucks compared to this for prostate issues I have an enlarged prostate from AAS as well and have tried nearly everything.

Look into BETA SITOSTEROL it is the actual plant sterol in saw palmetto that shrinks prostate tissue. This is the 100% standardized extract.

Try to find one with minerals although not necessary it improves absorbtion slightly.

Since ive started this product prostate pain is next to nil no more frequent nightly bathroom trips and even works when im taking androgens.

Take it before you go to bed and your set you can take it in the morning as well.

take 300mg per dose

It also helps with lipid profiles not sure how much though?

Snachito

Board Supporter
Awards
Dosages are rather scattered; I have seen recommended dosages from 3-100mg daily. I think a good range to aim for is 5-25mg daily.
Thank you size!

And thanks Bryan M for the info on the Beta Sitosterol! I will have to give this a shot.

SJA

SJA

dead sexy wino
Awards
  • Established
Snachito - check out phytosterol complex on BAC.

Size - thanks for the allicin feedback and dosages. I think I'll order some and try it.

size

Awards
  • Established
Found this today.

Garlic ingredient delivers death to cancer cells
The February 2005 issue of the journal Molecular Cancer Therapeutics (http://mct.aacrjournals.org/) published the discovery of researchers at the Weizmann Institute of Science in Israel of a way to deliver allicin, a compound present in freshly crushed garlic, to cancer cells for their destruction. Allicin is formed by a reaction between the enzyme alliinase and alliin. The compound readily penetrates biological membranes to kill cancer cells, but the molecules are potent for only a short period of time, prompting the team to devise system for long term delivery.

The research team, led by Professor David Mirelman, attached alliinase to an antibody used in cancer treatment known as Rituximab, which marks tumors for destruction by the body's own immune system. When injected into mice implanted with human lymphoma cells, the drug bound itself to the target cancer cells. The researchers then injected alliin, which combined with the alliinase to form allicin on the cancerous cells' surface, resulting in the programmed cell death of almost all of the lymphoma cells within three days. A control group of mice who received Rituximab and alliinase alone experienced only a slight amount of cancer cell destruction.

Dr Mirelman calls the method "weaponizing" an antibody, because the antibody drug docks on the targeted cell and continuously reacts with the alliin molecules which are periodically injected. This allows a steady supply of allicin to reach the cancer cells and destroy them.

Dr Mirelman stated, "The medicinal value of garlic is no longer an ancient Chinese secret. Years of scientific research led to the identification and understanding of allicin's mode of activity and we are currently studying ways to target and deliver its toxic punch."

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Found this today.

Garlic ingredient delivers death to cancer cells
The February 2005 issue of the journal Molecular Cancer Therapeutics (http://mct.aacrjournals.org/) published the discovery of researchers at the Weizmann Institute of Science in Israel of a way to deliver allicin, a compound present in freshly crushed garlic, to cancer cells for their destruction. Allicin is formed by a reaction between the enzyme alliinase and alliin. The compound readily penetrates biological membranes to kill cancer cells, but the molecules are potent for only a short period of time, prompting the team to devise system for long term delivery.

The research team, led by Professor David Mirelman, attached alliinase to an antibody used in cancer treatment known as Rituximab, which marks tumors for destruction by the body's own immune system. When injected into mice implanted with human lymphoma cells, the drug bound itself to the target cancer cells. The researchers then injected alliin, which combined with the alliinase to form allicin on the cancerous cells' surface, resulting in the programmed cell death of almost all of the lymphoma cells within three days. A control group of mice who received Rituximab and alliinase alone experienced only a slight amount of cancer cell destruction.

Dr Mirelman calls the method "weaponizing" an antibody, because the antibody drug docks on the targeted cell and continuously reacts with the alliin molecules which are periodically injected. This allows a steady supply of allicin to reach the cancer cells and destroy them.

Dr Mirelman stated, "The medicinal value of garlic is no longer an ancient Chinese secret. Years of scientific research led to the identification and understanding of allicin's mode of activity and we are currently studying ways to target and deliver its toxic punch."
I saw this article to, some interesting information.

SJA

SJA

dead sexy wino
Awards
  • Established
interesting, but not replicate of oral delivery of allicin itself. I'd like to see the same trial with the same mice (or maybe even human or chimp cancer subjects) where, rather than creating the allicin on the target cells themselves, the subject is given oral allicin and the results compared.
Nonetheless, this method shows promise and maybe there is a reason as to why they approached the experiment in this fashion.

Dutchman

Dutchman

Awards
  • Established
I'm not sure if this has been posted as its fairly recent. My apologies if I am clogging up the forum but I consider the source "The American Asswociation for Cancer Research" and the topic, "The Green Tea Supplement prevents prostate cancer in men', plus the fact that these results are from a for-real field study and not done on lab rats, would be important. FWIW I cap bulk Green Tea and take 2 gms ED, along with my 1.5 gms of Phytosterols incl. Beta-Sistosterol, as well as my Selenium, Garlic, Red Wine, my glass of tomato juice (Lycopene), ground Flax Seeds (delicious in Oatmeal Pancakes) and Vitamin E. This is what I always call my Sex (preservation) Cocktail. :thumbsup:

"Green Tea Shown to Prevent Prostate Cancer

April 20, 2005

Embargoed for Release at
Time of Presentation:
Wednesday, April 20, 2005
11:15 a.m. PDT
Abstract: 4400

First Clinical Study Shows 90 Percent Efficacy in Men with Pre-malignant Lesions

Anaheim, Calif. – After a year’s oral administration of green tea catechins (GTCs), only one man in a group of 32 at high risk for prostate cancer developed the disease, compared to nine out of 30 in a control, according to a team of Italian researchers from the University of Parma and University of Modena and Reggio Emilia led by Saverio Bettuzzi, Ph.D.

Their results were reported here today at the 96th Annual Meeting of the American Association for Cancer Research.

“Numerous earlier studies, including ours, have demonstrated that green tea catechins, or pure EGCG (a major component of GTCs), inhibited cancer cell growth in laboratory models,� Bettuzzi explained. “We wanted to conduct a clinical trial to find out whether catechins could prevent cancer in men. The answer clearly is yes.�

Earlier research demonstrated primarily that green tea catechins were safe for use in humans. Bettuzzi and his colleagues had found that EGCG targets prostate cancer cells specifically for death, without damaging the benign controls. They identified Clusterin, the most important gene involved in apoptosis, or programmed cell death in the prostate, as a possible mediator of catechins action. “EGCG induced death in cancer cells, not normal cells, inducing Clusterin expression� said Bettuzzi.

To gauge susceptibility for prostate cancer among their research subjects, the team of Italian scientists recruited men with high-grade prostatic intraepithelial neoplasia – premalignant lesions that presage invasive prostate cancer within one year in nearly a third of cases and for which no treatment was given.

Eligible men were between 45 and 75 years of age. Vegetarians and men consuming green tea or derived products, or those taking anti-oxidants or following anti-androgenic therapy were excluded.

Of the 62 volunteers, 32 received three tablets per day of 200 mg each GTCs; the remainder were given a placebo. Follow-up biopsies were administered after six months and again at one year. Only one case of prostate cancer was diagnosed among those receiving 600 mg daily of GTCs, while nine cases were found in the untreated group. The 30 percent incidence rate among controls is consistent with previous findings, as was the absence of significant side effects or adverse reactions.

The interest in green tea catechins and other polyphenols – antioxidants found in many plants that give some flowers, fruits and vegetables their coloring – derives from traditional Chinese medicine, and the observation of lower cancer rates among Asian populations.

Bettuzzi observed that the Mediterranean diet is rich in vegetables, and lower rates of prostate cancer are found in that region, as well.

The 600 mg-per-day dosage of caffeine-free, total catechins (50 percent of which is EGCG) given to participants in the Italian study is one or two times the amount of green tea consumed daily in China, where ten to 20 cups a day is normal.

“We still don’t know enough about the biological processes leading to prostate cancer,� Bettuzzi noted. “The only thing we know for sure is that prostate cancer is diffuse, related to age and more prevalent in the West. Thus, prevention could be the best way to fight it. Although our follow-up will continue for up to five years, a larger, confirmatory study is needed.�

Even so, Bettuzzi hints at the exciting prospect of using green tea catechins as a prophylactic against prostate cancer in men believed to be at higher risk, such as the elderly, African-Americans, and those with a family history of prostate cancer."

# # # #

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Don't apologize for adding things of great value to the board OldFart!

Another use for garlic...mood improvement. According to Jean Carper, author Food Your Miracle Medicine, garlic is one the tops selling supplements in Europe for mood.

Not sure how it works but it seems to help and its great for you anyways.

Garli-Max brand is pretty good. Can be found at Costco and has a high standardized amount of Allicin and Alliin but I'm going to give Custom's a whirl as I like powders and make my own antioxidant blends.

SJA

SJA

dead sexy wino
Awards
  • Established
Don't apologize for adding things of great value to the board OldFart!

Another use for garlic...mood improvement. According to Jean Carper, author Food Your Miracle Medicine, garlic is one the tops selling supplements in Europe for mood.

Not sure how it works but it seems to help and its great for you anyways.

Garli-Max brand is pretty good. Can be found at Costco and has a high standardized amount of Allicin and Alliin but I'm going to give Custom's a whirl as I like powders and make my own antioxidant blends.

That was Dutchman...not Oldfart :lol:

Maybe an allicin/greentea blended capsule would be a good one.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
OOOPs! My bad..it was late and I had just gotten back from Vegas. Sorry DUTCH. lol

Add a little selenium and lycopene as well. Pumpkin seed oil is supposedly good.

size

Awards
  • Established
If you want a pure allicin product then CNW has it.

Last edited:
Syr

Syr

Hot Italian Goldmember
Awards
  • Established
Ok TRUST ME ON THIS ONE

saw palmetto sucks compared to this for prostate issues I have an enlarged prostate from AAS as well and have tried nearly everything.

Look into BETA SITOSTEROL it is the actual plant sterol in saw palmetto that shrinks prostate tissue. This is the 100% standardized extract.

Try to find one with minerals although not necessary it improves absorbtion slightly.

Since ive started this product prostate pain is next to nil no more frequent nightly bathroom trips and even works when im taking androgens.

Take it before you go to bed and your set you can take it in the morning as well.

take 300mg per dose

It also helps with lipid profiles not sure how much though?
I disagree. SP has some other agents besides B/sis that works synergistically helping your prostate conditions. I had posted a study about this some time ago, but i dont have it at hand right now.

Probably the SP you were using was a low quality extract. I use the whole powdered berries from Holland and Barrett (uk brand), at double recommended dosage and the results have been impressed in a over 9 months period. Cant live without it ;)