Too much Vitamin C?

Page 2 of 2 First 12

1. Quote Originally Posted by 996ttelise View Post
    What harm can come from 2 grams of C a day. What about 4 grams a day?
    none. i supplement with 2g and get waaaaay more than that through my diet
    1300 pound club, 1400 in site

2. Quote Originally Posted by cumminslifter View Post
    exactly. they can turn ino pro-oxidants
    Are you talking about about C reacting with dissolved oxygen to generate ROS or hydrogen peroxide in the arteries? I have heard of a study as to this pro-oxidant effect which I believe was hypothesized as a means of protecting arterial health or reducing blood pressure. I cannot recall, but I do recollect the conclusion that oral ingestion could never likely lead to high enough blood plasma levels to generate this pro-oxidative effect. I think you gotta take it IV to get that pro-oxidant effect.
    •   

3. Quote Originally Posted by 996ttelise View Post
    Are you talking about about C reacting with dissolved oxygen to generate ROS or hydrogen peroxide in the arteries? I have heard of a study as to this pro-oxidant effect which I believe was hypothesized as a means of protecting arterial health or reducing blood pressure. I cannot recall, but I do recollect the conclusion that oral ingestion could never likely lead to high enough blood plasma levels to generate this pro-oxidative effect. I think you gotta take it IV to get that pro-oxidant effect.
    wasnt aware of this. i just always heard if you take to much it can turn into a pro-oxidant and actualy tart causeing free radical damage
    1300 pound club, 1400 in site

4. Quote Originally Posted by cumminslifter View Post
    none. i supplement with 2g and get waaaaay more than that through my diet
    Exactly, my point is things are said that may be subject to different interpretations and 6 weeks and 10 threads later people are saying C is pro-oxidant or maybe pro-oxidant at 2 grams. I also think there may be some mingling of concepts such as saturation, absorption, reabsorption and excretion with the dosing or 500 mg level. Maybe someone with time could look it up. I seem to recall saturation at low levels like 100 mg daily, but absorption like 90% at 50 mg and decreasing to maybe 1/2 or less than 1/2 at 1,500.

Anyway, my wife is endo and dietician working at Andrews Clinic in Gulf Breeze with professional athletes to rehab injuries quickly and get back on the field. I know C IV is one thing she uses or recommends post op. My long time endo who primarily deals with Olympic and some pro athletes is big on C, but the testing they do is crazy and nothing is administered arbitrarily.

5. Quote Originally Posted by cumminslifter View Post
    that is alot at one time.

op i take 2g a day 500mg each dose spread throughout the day. its pretty hard to OD on water soluble vitamins
    Absolutely agree. haha She had been taking 2 to 3 grams a day regularly for awhile. Took all that at one time and got messed up. I was just saying you can overdo vit c. Sometimes people get into the mindset that more is better. Not always the case.
    •   

6. Info for any of you with tots

Background

Current antidepressants used to treat pediatric patients have the disadvantage of limited efficacy and potentially serious side effects. The purpose of this study was to assess the efficacy of vitamin C as an adjuvant agent in the treatment of pediatric major depressive disorder in a six-month, double-blind, placebo-controlled pilot trial.
    Methods

The study group (n=12) was given fluoxetine (10--20 mg/day) plus vitamin C (1000 mg/day) and control group (n=12) administered fluoxetine (10--20 mg/day) plus placebo. The data were analyzed by ANOVA and t-test for independent samples.
    Results

Both groups demonstrated significantly improved scores on the Children's Depression Rating Scale (CDRS), the Children's Depression Inventory (CDI), and the Clinical Global Impression (CGI). ANOVA was significantly different on all clinical measurements (group effect, time effect, and interaction), with the exception of group effect and interaction for CGI. Patients treated for six months with fluoxetine and vitamin C showed a significant decrease in depressive symptoms in comparison to the fluoxetine plus placebo group as measured by the CDRS (t=11.36, P<0.0001) and CDI (t=12.27, P<0.0001), but not CGI (t=0.13, P=0.90). No serious adverse effects were observed.
    Conclusions

These preliminary results suggest that vitamin C may be an effective adjuvant agent in the treatment of MDD in pediatric patients.

Mostafa Amr, Ahmed El-Mogy, Tarek Shams, Karen Vieira and Shaheen E Lakhan

7. Quote Originally Posted by cumminslifter View Post
    wasnt aware of this. i just always heard if you take to much it can turn into a pro-oxidant and actualy tart causeing free radical damage
    I think liposomal vitamin c addressed this issue.
    Serious Nutrition Solutions | Online Representative
    Growth Factor XT-GROW! Need Cycle Support? Check out Liver XT.
    Follow SNS on Facebook for more promos!
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Am I taking too much vitamin B?
    By Jonbero in forum Supplements
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-19-2012, 12:16 PM
  2. Too much Vitamin E & dosing times question
    By BurghHardcore in forum Supplements
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-15-2010, 12:51 AM
  3. is this too much Vitamin A in a day?
    By stankydanky in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-29-2010, 05:02 PM
  4. Too much vitamins?
    By powerhouse21 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-20-2007, 11:31 PM
  5. How much protien is too much at one time!!!
    By curt2go in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 12-22-2002, 06:56 PM