Caffeine..Advice Needed

tangozero

Awards
I use caffeine tablets throughout the day and have for years now. It roughly works out to 400mg to 700mg a day depending on whats going on. I use no other stims, energy drinks, or preworkouts. I am in good shape, single digit body fat, generally eat clean.

I'm wondering what support supps you would recommend to account for any vitamin/mineral deficiencies or hormonal/physical stress caused by the caffeine use?

What should I be taking daily to buffer and support? Recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
There is no vitamin/mineral deficiency or hormonal issue associated with caffeine use. It is quite healthy actually.

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
There is no vitamin/mineral deficiency or hormonal issue associated with caffeine use. It is quite healthy actually.
To a certain extent it's healthy . I'm sure at a certain point it gets hard on your heart .

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
To a certain extent it's healthy . I'm sure at a certain point it gets hard on your heart .
At 2g caffeine and on a fasted, dehydrated, low-stim use (usually from first time stimulant users) and with heart conditions...yeah that's one of the cases.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Nope. If this guy is using caffeine daily at the same dose for years, cardiovascular, and more importantly, neuroendocrine adaptation occurred long ago.

In other words, he has obvious tolerance to caffeine. If anything, ceasing caffeine consumption would cause a transient period of abnormal cardiovascular function, including the dreaded headaches.

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Nope. If this guy is using caffeine daily at the same dose for years, cardiovascular, and more importantly, neuroendocrine adaptation occurred long ago.

In other words, he has obvious tolerance to caffeine. If anything, ceasing caffeine consumption would cause a transient period of abnormal cardiovascular function, including the dreaded headaches.
Right, because that's symptoms of withdrawal? So your body adapts to your caffeine consumption is what you're saying with the neuroendo adaptation? And at what point can you burn our your adrenal glands with caffeine?

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
Right, because that's symptoms of withdrawal? So your body adapts to your caffeine consumption is what you're saying with the neuroendo adaptation? And at what point can you burn our your adrenal glands with caffeine?
Adrenal fatigue is a myth, you can find it stashed away with myostatin inhibitors and unicorns.

JD261985

Banned
Awards
Adrenal fatigue is a myth, you can find it stashed away with myostatin inhibitors and unicorns.
Some people mistake chronic fatigue from things like allergies or Generalized Anxiety Disorder for adrenal fatigue. I mean there are so many things that can play into chronic fatigue

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
haha myostatin inhibitors . Well see learn you learn something new errrrday.

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
haha myostatin inhibitors . Well see learn you learn something new errrrday.
Imagine how much we could learn if every night Coop narrated science facts and studies in your dreams, with the voice of Morgan Freeman and his own chiseled physique?

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Right, the body is in a constant state of adaptation. The plasticity of the human body is one of the most mindblowing concepts when you really think about it. I obviously believe in evolution, but the fact that natural selection could produce such a well-regulated, dynamic, sustained equilibrium, day in and day out for 80+ years, is absurd.

Let me ask: why do you think the adrenal glands might get burned out? What other gland gets burned out (there is one major one, I'll let you think on it)?

Some people mistake chronic fatigue from things like allergies or Generalized Anxiety Disorder for adrenal fatigue. I mean there are so many things that can play into chronic fatigue
Agreed. Adrenal fatigue is used as a blanket term for chronic fatigue these days. There's no denying that overdoing certain things can induce fatigue...but the fatigue is just not related to the adrenal glands as you mentioned.

Imagine how much we could learn if every night Coop narrated science facts and studies in your dreams, with the voice of Morgan Freeman and his own chiseled physique?
I think you'd be quite disappointed if you saw my physique and heard my voice as of late lol

tangozero

Awards
Appreciate the responses. I have developed tolerance and no longer have any significant cardiovascular effect. However, I was under the impression that chronic high dose caffeine use could deplete b vitamins, calcium, and interfere with iron absorption. Also what about cortisol?

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Appreciate the responses. I have developed tolerance and no longer have any significant cardiovascular effect. However, I was under the impression that chronic high dose caffeine use could deplete b vitamins, calcium, and interfere with iron absorption. Also what about cortisol?
All of that micronutrient absorption is negligible unless you have a pre-existing condition. For instance, b-vitamins are in ridiculously high abundance in the Western Diet. Calcium loss from caffeine is on the order of 1-2% of the RDA daily at the doses you're using, which won't matter unless you have osteoporosis. Iron is another micronutrient that is not only overly abundant in the Western diet but is often found in excesses in well-nourished individuals due to a poorly established excretion system.

And what about cortisol? Cortisol experiences transient fluxes even without the presence of caffeine.

Let's examine the flip-side: caffeine is incredibly neuroprotective and BDNF-promoting, and is actually prescribed in megadoses (1g+) to people suffering from central nervous system issues. One of my friends and a forum-member here is actually on megadosed caffeine for this reason.

^For those interested, very inspirational story. Sorry for the outside link but I think everyone should read this to understand how fortunate they are...and this dude never complains about anything:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=147463223&page=1

bdcc

bdcc

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I can look at pictures of most things without flinching but I genuinely gasped when I saw the second lot of photos he posted.

It made me feel a little bit nauseous. When you know the person posting it it takes away the anonymity. The accident looks horrific.

A huge inspiration to others. I wish him the best of success.

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
Right, the body is in a constant state of adaptation. The plasticity of the human body is one of the most mindblowing concepts when you really think about it. I obviously believe in evolution, but the fact that natural selection could produce such a well-regulated, dynamic, sustained equilibrium, day in and day out for 80+ years, is absurd.

Let me ask: why do you think the adrenal glands might get burned out? What other gland gets burned out (there is one major one, I'll let you think on it)?

Agreed. Adrenal fatigue is used as a blanket term for chronic fatigue these days. There's no denying that overdoing certain things can induce fatigue...but the fatigue is just not related to the adrenal glands as you mentioned.

I think you'd be quite disappointed if you saw my physique and heard my voice as of late lol
Pft like hell, send em on Facebook or to my email. I'm sure you are exaggerating.

tangozero

Awards
All of that micronutrient absorption is negligible unless you have a pre-existing condition. For instance, b-vitamins are in ridiculously high abundance in the Western Diet. Calcium loss from caffeine is on the order of 1-2% of the RDA daily at the doses you're using, which won't matter unless you have osteoporosis. Iron is another micronutrient that is not only overly abundant in the Western diet but is often found in excesses in well-nourished individuals due to a poorly established excretion system.

And what about cortisol? Cortisol experiences transient fluxes even without the presence of caffeine.

Let's examine the flip-side: caffeine is incredibly neuroprotective and BDNF-promoting, and is actually prescribed in megadoses (1g+) to people suffering from central nervous system issues. One of my friends and a forum-member here is actually on megadosed caffeine for this reason.

^For those interested, very inspirational story. Sorry for the outside link but I think everyone should read this to understand how fortunate they are...and this dude never complains about anything:

Interesting. What are your thoughts on supplementing with a multi, b complex or vitamins/minerals in general?

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

Hmmm I'm not really sure I haven't read up on my endocrinology yet, next semester though (can't wait :D ). But evolution is insane, the fact that we were so different years ago and se vestigial structures and relationships remain is awesome. For example how viruses penetrate cells and our cells can read the protein coating on a virus an accept it and have no defense against it. Vestigial relationships in action! At one point viruses must've helped our body and cell health but now they destroy our cells and cause trouble.

Freaking science man..... :D