SAM-E or 5-htp for moderate depression?

Killler

Killler

Awards
  • Established
Anyone into this stuff?

I`m looking to avoid another SSRI stint.

I feel I`m falling in deeper,so I want to prevent it from escalating.

I used St.John`Worth before,and it does relieve depression,but caused me a lot of panic so I wouldn`t use it again.

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Anyone into this stuff?

I used St.John`Worth before,and it does relieve depression,but caused me a lot of panic so I wouldn`t use it again.
What the source of your depression? Vitamin d and fishoils

Killler

Killler

Awards
  • Established
What the source of your depression? Vitamin d and fishoils
I don`t know?

Chronic on/off depression whole life.....Family issues,natural tendency,low test.

Am already on vit D and fish oil(1 softgel daily only(360EPA/280DHA).

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
L-dopa helps me...

Ballesteri

Ballesteri

Awards
Anyone into this stuff?

For very moderate it may help, I'm sure you know not to mix those with an SSRI. You may consider combining these with a great little product called Sunny Mood by Irwin Naturals.

Killler

Killler

Awards
  • Established
For very moderate it may help, of course I'm sure you know you don't want to mix those with an SSRI. You may consider combining these with a great little product called Sunny Mood by Irwin Naturals.
Hmmm

Very interesting blend indeed!

Looks like it has antidepressant/antianxiety/aphrodisiac ingredients.

Found it now at my supplier-will probably add it to my order-not too expensive either.

How did it work for you?

So you`re thinking I should get both 5-htp and SAM-e(this one is a little pricy though)

Ballesteri

Ballesteri

Awards
Hmmm

Very interesting blend indeed!

Looks like it has antidepressant/antianxiety/aphrodisiac ingredients.

Found it now at my supplier-will probably add it to my order-not too expensive either.

How did it work for you?

So you`re thinking I should get both 5-htp and SAM-e(this one is a little pricy though)
I don't see any reason at all not to combine them. I have not taken it nor do I work for Irwin Naturals but I am, well I do not want to say exactly what is I do, but I can assure you the company is solid. I have tried many Tboosters and their Testosterone UP formula all things considered works best for me...

Killler

Killler

Awards
  • Established
I don't see any reason at all not to combine them. I have not taken it nor do I work for Irwin Naturals but I am , well I do not want to say exactly what is I do, but I can assure you the company is solid. In fact I think I have tried just about every Tbooster on the planet and their Testosterone UP formula all things considered works the best for me...
Haha

And there`s a reason for that.

I see they`ve included LJ100™-the most powerful free test elevator in the world.

I love that extract.

burpees

Banned
Awards
Rhodiola and l-theanine

For hashimoto supplement with 200mcg selenium, magnesium glyciente, ashwagandha,

burpees

Banned
Awards
I like Sam-e gotta get it in a blister pack tho not pills or powder

JRob23

JRob23

Awards
  • Established
burpees is on...

Look to try rhodiola, st johns wart and l-theanine

Potent natural feel good smile stack ;)

burpees

Banned
Awards
I like a high dose of theanine at 600-800mg

Suntheanine to be exact and 500mg 3% 1% rhodiola try up to 1 gram

burpees

Banned
Awards
PP Sustain Alpha and Endoamp Max helped alot too bad it's discontinued

I like Transmax and Alpha-GPC too

broons

Awards
  • Established
Ashwaghanda is pretty decent I take it all the time. What St. Johns have you tried? The perika kind always worked best for me. Probably going to take a handful of supps to get any relief and even then don't expect miracles. Really takes a change in your patterns of thought to truly overcome it.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I second St Johns Wort as it seems to have some backing behind it.
Have you been tested for thyriod etc. blood tests???
Stay in touch with your doctors and or therapists. We don't always recognize signs getting worse.
A few years back I slipped pretty far and it was quite hard getting back. I felt it was almost brain chemical or lack thereof almost beginning to compound.
Be careful with that stuff, and get checked and talk to professionals regularly.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
5-htp and l-tryptophan are great for mood

UncleWade

UncleWade

Awards
  • Established
I've never thought of it in this capacity, but our LiGHts Out has both 5-HTP and L-Dopa in one product.

I'll look into it further, and get back with you - bulks are probably cheaper, although Nutra did have it for $16.87 not long ago. :eek:

JoeyvAF

JoeyvAF

Awards
Try somatomax from hi-tech pharmaceuticals.... It increases dopamine levels and puts you to sleep! You will feel AMAZING On it. I take it for the same reasons. I'm deployed right now and it helps with a lot of stress! Try it. You won't e disappointed!

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I use 5htp religiously to keep my chronic depression away. Stack looks a little like this..

100 mg 5htp
50mg p5p
400 micrograms of methylfolate
5,000-15,000 micrograms of methylcobalamin

I take all of these in the morning, including the 5htp, on an empty stomach. After my morning meal, I take 200 mg ubiquinol, 10 mg PQQ, 2 grams of fish oil, and occasionally a multi.

Most of the herbs listed here are better for an anxiety component but I could never get stable results for depression either due to not being able to find the right dose, or my brain chemistry simply adapting somehow.

twistedfords

Awards
  • Established
Bioman....

Do you take a anti depressant? Or do you just take the items you listed?

I have bad seasonal depression. Certin times of year for some reason hit me like a brick.

Do you have any other self help things you do?

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Bioman....

Do you take a anti depressant? Or do you just take the items you listed?

I have bad seasonal depression. Certin times of year for some reason hit me like a brick.

I mainly just take the items listed. I'm fearful of prescription anti-depressants and most of the time feel as though my symptoms don't justify the "big guns".

A light box or even just sitting in front of a full spectrum light bulb first thing in the morning might also help.

JoeStyles

Awards
I hope you are not taking both, because they counteract each other. Dopamine is down-regulated by Serotonin. Serotonin regulates into Melatonin. If you are depressed take something that increases Serotonin. Dopamine will not decrease depression based on low serotonin.

Use 5-HTP without Sam-E and be careful with your Vitamin B-6 levels.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

When you say seasonal, is it more winter, as in less sunlight perhaps?
Have you had any recent blood tests, ie: thyriod etc.?

twistedfords

Awards
  • Established
Getting them done soon. I am in the process of switching doctors. I want to know whats really going on. Insted of here take these pills if they dont work call me.

twistedfords

Awards
  • Established
Joestyles...... if I quit the anti depressants what would you suggest? Also what two should we not be taking together?

twistedfords

Awards
  • Established
The sun light helps so much. I try to tan but not to often. Since there is a cancer issue with that.

JoeStyles

Awards
Joestyles...... if I quit the anti depressants what would you suggest? Also what two should we not be taking together?
SSRI's are dangerous things. Far more dangerous than steroids IMO. You can not just quit cold turkey on them and expect your brain chemistry to balance out appropriately. With anything involving prescribed medication you should express your wanting to reduce or get off the prescription with the appropriate physician and then proceed with his/her advice. They should have a tapering dosage for you, but expect your mood to fluctuate a bit while going through this. You will be happier off of them though, because SSRI's do not get rid of depression, they merely level out the swings of emotion.

You should not take Sam-E/B-6 and 5HTP together. You need to space out their dosages in order for them to function properly. Say the 5-HTP at night before dinner and the SAM-E/B-6 before breakfast. They are opposing systems in the brain, and taking them together really does nothing for you honestly.

twistedfords

Awards
  • Established
Yes I know about the tapering of dose when you come off. And I agree. That is why I want to get off of them. And find out what the real issue is. It could be many things. This is why I decided to go ahead with a new doctor and blood work.

twistedfords

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the natural advice. Do you think they will help me get off of the ssri's

JoeStyles

Awards
Yes I do think 5-HTP and the Sam-E would help you, but only if your diet is in order.

Yes I know about the tapering of dose when you come off. And I agree. That is why I want to get off of them. And find out what the real issue is. It could be many things. This is why I decided to go ahead with a new doctor and blood work.
The SSRI could be the problem itself. My advice get off of them, no one really knows the full extent of the dangers of them, and the risk reward ratio is not strong enough IMO to be worth using them.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The sun light helps so much. I try to tan but not to often. Since there is a cancer issue with that.
Agreed. You just have to be in brighter light or get some to the pineal gland (in the head) to help release natural melatonin etc.
You only need to get 10-15 minutes on some parts of the skin also, to get some good natural vit D.

twistedfords

Awards
  • Established
What type of diet is best for rhe 5 htp and sam-e

Killler

Killler

Awards
  • Established
SSRI's are dangerous things. Far more dangerous than steroids IMO.
:madfawk:

They are perfectly ok.

I have been on prescribed SSRIs for 7,8 times in the last 8 years.

THEY HAVE HELPED ME VERY MUCH!

I have never had any side effects or problems,except for some skin itching the last time on Lexapro.

I haven`t ever had any sexual dysfunction on them or any similar bull**** lie that keeps getting passed around about SSRIs.

In fact,my libido was normal and slightly better.

p.s. you sir are very very very much a complete idiot.

twistedfords

Awards
  • Established
I think its great that they work for you. But for me. I hsve had many side effects from them. Headaches, weight gain, and not the good kind of weightgain. To stomach issues. So they are not sunshine for everyone.

burpees

Banned
Awards
Seems like your what u call it when your fearful of getting sick ??

Your caution about getting to much sun light is a issue man,

twistedfords

Awards
  • Established
No lol... I am not scared of getting sick. I just live up north where we only get 80 days of sun on average a year. I just wish there was a natural way to get more sun in the winter. I still tan but not everyday.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Well, I might not over think it too much, or let the sunlight issue get you down. That is defeating the purpose. Winter for many people in the northern hem find them with less really bright sunlight, but you still get natural sunlight on overcast days too, so don't discount them.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
How much is a dose per day for 5 htp
100mg. It seems to work better for me if I take it in the morning on an empty stomach. I think that might tip the conversion pathway in the favor of more serotonin rather than melatonin...but just my hypothesis.

twistedfords

Awards
  • Established
So dont split the dose like the bottle says? Take all 100mg at once?

Killler

Killler

Awards
  • Established
100mg. It seems to work better for me if I take it in the morning on an empty stomach. I think that might tip the conversion pathway in the favor of more serotonin rather than melatonin...but just my hypothesis.
I got my bottle of Healthy Origins 5-HTP in the mail.

I`m gonna start it one of these days,when my depression goes worse.

Did it give you any nausea?

I got some Sam-e too but I`m sceptical about using it now since I`ve got anxiety too.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I got my bottle of Healthy Origins 5-HTP in the mail.

I`m gonna start it one of these days,when my depression goes worse.

Did it give you any nausea?

I got some Sam-e too but I`m sceptical about using it now since I`ve got anxiety too.

No nausea sides at all. I've tried SAMe and it was nice, but not as reliable for me as 5-htp..plus its so expensive. Definitely add a little p5p and folate to help the 5htp convert to serotonin. If you're truly undermethylating, TMG will help too.

Killler

Killler

Awards
  • Established
Although I consider depression or anxiety as a weakness , doctors do not and will help you. When one is weak, seek out the help of the strong. It's all in your head btw
Wtf?

You`re even more retarded than I thought was possible?

I`ve used SSRIs many times.They are perfectly fine.

I don`t understand why you are posting here at all.

Did you have problems with depression at all?
How can you give advice about something you have never experienced or medication you have never ever used?

Killler

Killler

Awards
  • Established
No nausea sides at all. I've tried SAMe and it was nice, but not as reliable for me as 5-htp..plus its so expensive. Definitely add a little p5p and folate to help the 5htp convert to serotonin. If you're truly undermethylating, TMG will help too.
I`ll definitely give it a go(5-htp),maybe tomorrow morning.

I have a B-complex too.

Thanks for the advice!

btw how long do you take it straight(every day)?

Killler

Killler

Awards
  • Established
No I don't because I haven't let my mind beat me down. You have proved to be a quitter, fearing your own feelings to the point you need a med. My advice is stop lifting and using hormonal products, people like you are unstable and shouldn't be touching products that can affect your already poor mental health. People like you harm the supplement industry because you can't handle your own feelings, let alone a supplement.
I have never used hormones douche bag,that`s where you`re wrong.

twistedfords

Awards
  • Established
The whole point of the thread is to help people.

Yes sometimes life kicks your ass. But you still get up. I agree their. But people can not help their genetics, or environment which effectively changes things.

I was a national wrestler for many years. In a sport that takes total discipline, heart , and mind. So dont rag on someone for being a bigger person. And trying to find help for a medical or mental issue they may have.