Abnormal results after trying small amounts of Beta Alanine

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I used 500mg of Beta Alanine on two occasions (along with 2000mg of Citrulline Malate) No other Pre-workout drink. Empty stomach. I weigh 175lbs. First occasion had a wonderful workout + post-WO cardio.(1.5hrs total time) Felt the tingle and enhanced endurance. Had a bit of nervous energy extending about 2 hours after the workout. Second occasion repeated the above.(except I had 8oz of coffee with milk about 30minutes prior to the BA/CM) Another impressive workout + post-WO cardio. But had much more nervous energy post-workout. It was very uncomfortable. Next morning I felt fine after a good sleep. I had 8oz of coffee with milk. Within a few minutes...BAM! Massive nervous energy. It was incredibly uncomfortable. Appears caffeine simulates the nerve receptors. I could not work. Ate two 1/2 cup servings of rolled oats(carbs will deaden the tingle) + 1 liter of water + two 8oz glasses of milk. That settled me down. About 3 hours total to return to normal.

Do not know if I should try 250mg or even less. I see where some users in my weight range are taking 2-4grams per day.

blacklac

blacklac

Awards
Beta Alanine wont do much (anything?) without being taken consistently for weeks.

Just going by what your saying, its sounds more like you are very sensitive to caffeine. Do you take coffee regularly? Is this home brewed or Starbucks or something?

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
b-Alanine has some intrinsic neurological activity to which you may be unusually prone

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Responding to Post #2

Have been drinking DD type coffee for many years.(Starbucks too strong) Have actually reduced caffeine intake in the past year thanks to the strength training providing more energy. I home brew Peetz Cafe Domingo or Solano- Light brews similar to Dunkin Donuts regular.

Typically drink 8oz at 6am and another 8oz at 2pm. All with milk. I was off schedule in the second instance above and drank it at 4pm. Then the pre-op at 430pm.

But it was the following morning that having a cup of coffee hit me hard. Like never before.

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
b-Alanine has some intrinsic neurological activity to which you may be unusually prone
I guess I am one of those. Any info if just using Carnosine as a supplement will also have the same effect? I refer if that also has a neurological effect as B-Alanine does.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
I guess I am one of those. Any info if just using Carnosine as a supplement will also have the same effect? I refer if that also has a neurological effect as B-Alanine does.
It's possible, but carnosine supplementation is pretty ineffective

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I forgot that part. One reason to use BA.

Oh well, old school 80s it is.

ripped218

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I got the same effect at first but it gradually tapered off now I'm fine with BA.