What supps to take when your getting sick (cold/flu)

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.26%

What supps to take when your getting sick (cold/flu)

Feeling a little under the weather and heard that some guys take BCAA, extra vitamin C etc to help fight a cold. Any recommendations?

I have some Natadrol and Formadrol Extreme coming today and wanted to be 100% before starting these, thanks!

2. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    0.7%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

This is what I've been doing through the winter months.

Vitamin D - 12,000iu daily
    Vitamin C - 500mg 3-4x per day
    Zinc Picolinate - 50mg twice per day

It's essential to balance out the zinc with copper when you take it in high doses like that. I take 2-6mg of copper daily.
    Millennium Sport Technologies Representative
    www . millenniumsport . net
  3. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    54.24%

I know a few people who swear by echinacea (sp?) never used it myself though.
    •   

4. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    30.84%

Quote Originally Posted by Raw Dog View Post
    I know a few people who swear by echinacea (sp?) never used it myself though.
    I used to but now me thinks it is a holistic wannabe, but do not underestimate the power of the placebo.

Black Elderberry
    Bee Pollen
    Vit C
    Zinc
    Motrin
    Zicam
    Increase liquids
    REST, time off.
    Hot sauna

Just heard once you have a cough it's reported nothing will touch it for 18 days....could just be more propaganda ?

Flu is a virus, not much else to do but live through it. Get med's if it lasts.

Bad food (poisoning): activated charcoal - will make poop hard & black. Once feeling better refeed the digestive enzymes with some acidolphilus or cultured yogert.
  5. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.26%

I've actually bee EXTREMELY successful at fighting colds and the flu, for the most part. Once I start to even have symptoms, I stop working out for a couple days, start to eat like a madman and drink tons of fluids. Normally this works very well for me as I have not had a full-blown cold or flue this year and nothing last year either, but I have been feeling crappy for 2 days now. Been wanting to work out, but heard that can really bring
    on the cold or flu by lowering your immune system, is that true? I assume the stress of working out can temp do that, not sure though.

I think I will pick up a couple of the things mentioned above, especially the zinc. Already mega-dosing the vitamin C.
  6. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    81.07%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Gutterpump View Post
    This is what I've been doing through the winter months.

Vitamin D - 12,000iu daily
    Vitamin C - 500mg 3-4x per day
    Zinc Picolinate - 50mg twice per day

It's essential to balance out the zinc with copper when you take it in high doses like that. I take 2-6mg of copper daily.

Is a daily dose of that much Vitamin D even safe? I guess I've just heard so many different things when it comes to dosing it that it can be confusing. Some people say no more than 2,000iu, some say no more than 5-6,000iu per day, and others drop 10,000iu per day. I guess you can't really be sure w/o a vitamin D test done.

I live in Pittsburgh and sunshine isn't in abundance here from December through March-April....
  7. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    54.24%

Quote Originally Posted by BurghHardcore View Post

Is a daily dose of that much Vitamin D even safe? I guess I've just heard so many different things when it comes to dosing it that it can be confusing. Some people say no more than 2,000iu, some say no more than 5-6,000iu per day, and others drop 10,000iu per day. I guess you can't really be sure w/o a vitamin D test done.

I live in Pittsburgh and sunshine isn't in abundance here from December through March-April....
    Lowest toxicity level I've heard is 40,000iu
  8. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    81.07%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Raw Dog View Post
    Lowest toxicity level I've heard is 40,000iu
    well maybe I'll bump up my dose a little then, I'm rocking about 5,000iu/day right now. But is that toxicity level in one single dose?? Seeing as how it's a fat soluble vitamin it builds up in the system, or at least has the potential to. So when you say 40,000iu is that daily, or is that a toxicity level for one dose.

Also, my buddy had thyroid surgery done a couple years ago, and along with AndroGel the doc prescribed him 50,000iu Vitamin D pills taken once per week (that's obviously a special needs situation though).
  9. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'1"  0 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.22%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

1. Increase water intake
    2. Akalize your body, 1tbsp lemon juice several times a day and/or apple cidar vinegar
    3. Cold Ez Zinc (I dont think they work, but wtf.. there cheap)
    4. High Vit C intake
    5. Tons of echinacea
  10. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'2"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15.58%

Zinc, Vitamin C and I tan.

I am rarely sick, but if I feel something coming on I tan in a tanning bed to help with Vitamin D. Seriously, not joking. UV rays are the best source of Vitamin D. 10 min will do, you dont have to stay a full session to up Vitamin D.
    Formutech Nutrition Rep --------------Team IronClad Physiques!!!
    www.formutechnutrition.com------------------ NPC Competitor
    www.facebook.com/fnutrition
  11. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    91.11%

I squat. And if that doesn't work, I'll take vitamin C. Which rarely ever works.
  12. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.68%

That is a ridiculous and unnecessary amount for a young healthy individual. Maybe if geriatric, have osteoporosis and your 1.25 is off charts low because your skin no longer converts . . . Why place yourself at risk for vascular issues or kidney stones when that is doing zero for you unless you have some serious underlying health issues.
  13. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.57%

I go up to 4g Vitamin C. 15-20g L - Glutamine. Throw down 2-3 B-100 Complex. Echinacea / Goldenseal. Drink 4-5 Cups Green Tea w/ Lemon. 50-100mg Zinc. I do this once I feel a cold/flu coming on and 95% of the time it stops it in its tracks.
    PES ALPHAMINE Log
    h ttp://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/213082-pes-alphamine-log.html
  14. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.26%

I'm BACK! :-) Well, after a couple days off I felt good enough to get back in the gym and do tri-bi's. I felt pretty strong this morning
    so the days off and extra vitamins seemed to help! Everybody here at work is coughing and hacking and I am pretty much back
    to normal! Will still take care of myself, but it appears the worst is over for now, thanks for all the tips! I will write them down in case
    I start feeling sick again!
  15. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    81.07%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by 996ttelise View Post
    That is a ridiculous and unnecessary amount for a young healthy individual. Maybe if geriatric, have osteoporosis and your 1.25 is off charts low because your skin no longer converts . . . Why place yourself at risk for vascular issues or kidney stones when that is doing zero for you unless you have some serious underlying health issues.

What amount are you referring to? The 12,000iu the poster above takes? I take 5,000iu/day now.
  16. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    65.06%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by criticalbench View Post
    1. Increase water intake2. Akalize your body, 1tbsp lemon juice several times a day and/or apple cidar vinegar3. Cold Ez Zinc (I dont think they work, but wtf.. there cheap)4. High Vit C intake5. Tons of echinacea
    This^^^Also, I prefer Ester-C with bioflavanoids.
    Serious Nutrition Solutions rep
  17. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    90.42%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

This is why we need a well known company to come out with a cold/flu/immune booster supplement. I hear the S.N.S. may be coming out with something like this. I have previously used Source Naturals Wellness formula which actually works pretty well at either lowering the duration of a cold or stopping it if you start taking it on time and take it consistently. Only side effect from is it was more bathroom visits.
  18. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  234 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    50.58%

I usually quadruple my glutamine intake. If that does not work I go see my doctor
  19. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    42.63%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by MIGUEL1J View Post
    I usually quadruple my glutamine intake. If that does not work I go see my doctor
    You have a standard Glutamine Intake?

Anhow I would say...Up Zinc intake, Vitamin C (500mg to 1g tops...) a day, Vitamin D in a megadosed fashion...hydrate more, 1 gallon of water a day and add electrolytes. In the end...nothing like good old rest and higher micro and macro nutrient intake!
    >SNS-Glycophase<
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Rep
  20. Banned
    Stats
    5'10"  171 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.91%

People might laugh but those cold-eeze lozenges are the ****. I was sick about 3 yrs ago and started sucking on those right away. Cold lasted 2 days tops!
  21. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    34.38%

TONS of liquid echanasia. Liquid always works best for me but it tastes like pure A$$! That and lots of Vitamin C. I used to take garlic pills as well and my mom was a strong believer of spoon feeding me real garlic when I was young. Not sure why the garlic but I have since stopped that practice due to the wonderful smell even the "odorless" pills cause me to smell like.
  22. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    76.28%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

Whole lot of placebo in this bish. Acute doses of Vitamin D or glutamine won't help.
    http://pescience.com/
    http://selectprotein.com/
    The above is my own opinion and does not reflect the opinion of PES
  23. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    42.63%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post
    Whole lot of placebo in this bish. Acute doses of Vitamin D or glutamine won't help.
    Hm...agreed on the glutamine...felt the rock from the vit-d
    >SNS-Glycophase<
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Rep
  24. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.68%

What amount are you referring to? The 12,000iu the poster above takes? I take 5,000iu/day now.
    Yeah, the 12,000 for sure. Maybe take K with dose to try and keep calcium in right areas. Even 5k is unnecessary for a young healthy adult. You are most likely getting zero benefit and jacking up your system, kidneys, cardiovascular system, parathyroid hormone and etc.

Have 1.25, calcium, parathyroid, deca scan and etc. tested before taking over 2k or so a day, especially if healthy, eat tuna, salmon, egg yolks and etc.

If the blood contains less than 10 nanomol (nmol) of vitamin D per liter of serum, mortality is 2.31 times higher. However, if the blood contains more than 140 nmol of vitamin D per liter of serum, mortality is higher by a factor of 1.42. Both values are compared to 50 nmol of vitamin per liter of serum, where the scientists see the lowest mortality rate

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0529102346.htm
  25. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.68%

Quote Originally Posted by Celorza View Post
    Only if you are severely deficient. Too much D can actually make you feel lethargic, depressed and etc. Sorry, I doubt any one on here is going to get anything from high doses of D other than a kidney stone one day.
  26. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    90.42%

I'm starting to feel sick as of yesterday. What do you guys think about liposomal vitamin c? This video I saw had me interested in it, but I have never purchased any,

http://www.3news.co.nz/Living-Proof-...8/Default.aspx
  27. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    90.42%

Every time I start getting sick lately it comes on suddenly instead of building up slowly. Friday morning I felt great but friday night I went from feeling great to feeling like crap. Now the sickness is fully set in. Colds used to build up slowly when I was younger. Another thing I find strange is I seem to have amazing workouts a day or two before I get sick. I get this great energy and start adding reps to every exercise, and then the next day I'm down for the count.
  28. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.68%

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
    I'm starting to feel sick as of yesterday. What do you guys think about liposomal vitamin c? This video I saw had me interested in it, but I have never purchased any,

http://www.3news.co.nz/Living-Proof-...8/Default.aspx
    I swear by EmergenC packets. I also like to do a stir fry with onions, lots of garlic and olive oil along with veg, meat or whatever else you like. Not sure if garlic or anything really works, but I rarely get sick I have a crazy a schedule.
  29. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    90.42%

I get sick on average 4-5 times a year.
  30. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    1.2%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

SNS Reduce xt, 3 caps e/d + quercetin 1,00mg e/d, washed down with simply orange orange juice, ftw.

bye bye sickness, hello feeling great.

add in some topical dhea for good luck.
    http://www.nutraplanet.com/product/s...t-90-caps.html
    http://www.nutraplanet.com/product/n...-120-caps.html
  31. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    4.96%
    Achievements Activity Pro

Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Celorza View Post
    Don't worry bout that brah keep that rock & don't pass that rock off if that's what works.
  32. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.85%

I usually have at least one bout of the flu thru the winter season. This year, with as many people (family and it went thru work) I have not yet been sick from this tough virus.
    The only things I have seemed to do differently in the last year or so is...
    Empty stomach-
    NAC
    ALA
    L-Carnitine

Reg. supps-
    Vit-D
    DIM
    Maybe some bifidus.
    Calming down and being less stressed

The other supps I have used, I have used for years and still got sick.
    I also think Zicam is worth keeping around, since although it may not prevent a cold, it seems to shorten it's life from 7-10 days to about 4-5.
  33. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    86.27%

This is why we need a well known company to come out with a cold/flu/immune booster supplement. I hear the S.N.S. may be coming out with something like this. I have previously used Source Naturals Wellness formula which actually works pretty well at either lowering the duration of a cold or stopping it if you start taking it on time and take it consistently. Only side effect from is it was more bathroom visits.

I've had great results with the Wellness Formula. It could easily be placebo...but I don't care, lol. My wife had the flu two weeks ago and we both started taking it. Her flu ended up being fairly mild and I didn't get it at all. Doesn't seem to bother my stomach, even at high doses. Just before Thanksgiving, I started feeling like I was coming down with a cold, pounded 3 tablets 3X per day and it went away.
  34. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'1"  0 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.22%

Quote Originally Posted by 02sixxer
    Zinc, Vitamin C and I tan.

I am rarely sick, but if I feel something coming on I tan in a tanning bed to help with Vitamin D. Seriously, not joking. UV rays are the best source of Vitamin D. 10 min will do, you dont have to stay a full session to up Vitamin D.
    10 min is my max!

Mike
  35. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    90.42%

Quote Originally Posted by bioman View Post
    I've had great results with the Wellness Formula. It could easily be placebo...but I don't care, lol. My wife had the flu two weeks ago and we both started taking it. Her flu ended up being fairly mild and I didn't get it at all. Doesn't seem to bother my stomach, even at high doses. Just before Thanksgiving, I started feeling like I was coming down with a cold, pounded 3 tablets 3X per day and it went away.

I don't know why so many people think placebo is a bad thing. As long as something is working for you it's a good thing in my opinion, placebo or not. I saw another guy on here talk about something called Immuno-Shield which I'm gonna try next. Right now my cold is fully set it so it's a little late to order any now, maybe for next time...
  36. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    90.42%

I was just sick at the beginning of January. I think it's mostly the slobs at the gym that don't wash their hands after going to the bathroom and then touch the bars, equipment and such at the gym.
  37. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    86.27%

I don't know why so many people think placebo is a bad thing. As long as something is working for you it's a good thing in my opinion, placebo or not. I saw another guy on here talk about something called Immuno-Shield which I'm gonna try next. Right now my cold is fully set it so it's a little late to order any now, maybe for next time...

Oh, I'm with you there. Especially if it's for a fairly benign condition like a cold. I do think the formula has a decent profile albeit under dosed on a lot of ingredients. I was skeptical going into it, but it does seem to help.
  38. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    90.05%

I was just sick at the beginning of January. I think it's mostly the slobs at the gym that don't wash their hands after going to the bathroom and then touch the bars, equipment and such at the gym.
    There was a guy at my old gym that did that all the time. He'd go sit on the throne with his lifting gloves on then come out and go straight to the workout floor. Luckily he just used a couple Nautilus machines and the same cardio machine every time, so his ecoli was easy to avoid. Just scares me that he was a cook at a local hotel restaurant for a living.
  39. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.42%

If you are feeling sick from the cold or flu I would suggest taking a huge load of Vitamin C and also Echinacea also this
    will clear you right up and have you back on your feet. When you start feeling better then take a protein supplement
    I would suggest Pure Isolate by Muscle Gauge Nutrition its the best stuff on the market. Strawberry is my fav.
  40. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    76.28%

Quote Originally Posted by MuscleGauge1 View Post
    If you are feeling sick from the cold or flu I would suggest taking a huge load of Vitamin C and also Echinacea also this
    will clear you right up and have you back on your feet. When you start feeling better then take a protein supplement
    I would suggest Pure Isolate by Muscle Gauge Nutrition its the best stuff on the market. Strawberry is my fav.
    Is this really the right thread to recommend a protein...
    http://pescience.com/
    http://selectprotein.com/
    The above is my own opinion and does not reflect the opinion of PES

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-16-2013, 12:49 AM
  2. Supplements To Take When Cheating On Your Diet?
    By Z28Luver7777 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 10-15-2011, 09:42 PM
  3. what supps to take to get jacked like mike the situation?
    By Dirty music in forum Supplements
    Replies: 110
    Last Post: 10-22-2010, 10:32 PM
  4. What to take when cycling off stims?
    By mmacrazy in forum Supplements
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-26-2010, 05:11 PM
  5. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-02-2007, 03:03 PM