BCAA as a meal replacement

double s

double s

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Instead of taking my mid morning or mid afternoon, I am thinking about substituting a scoop or 2 of BCAA with water. Even tho BCAA's are non caloric for the most part, been hearing tuings that it is well for muscle sparing.

Anyone do this?

Geoforce

Geoforce

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Instead of taking my mid morning or mid afternoon, I am thinking about substituting a scoop or 2 of BCAA with water. Even tho BCAA's are non caloric for the most part, been hearing tuings that it is well for muscle sparing.

Anyone do this?
Instead of taking your mid morning or mid afternoon what? Protein shake? Snack? Can't quite be sure what question you are asking.

double s

double s

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Sorry about that. Yes replacing my a meal/protein shake with a few scoops of bcaa

M

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards

Anyone do this?
BCAAs have 6 cal/gram. Not a bad idea if fasted

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I just learned something new. I've wondered how they could have no caloric value, yet they are digested and absorbed. Good stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Am.com

JRob23

JRob23

Awards
  • Established
The few reasons to drinking bcaa's would be to help keep the body in a positive nitrogen balance, stave off catabolism and generate protein synthesis.

A few key times to add a scoop or two of bcaa would be:

- first thing in the morning as the body is deprived and under a lot of stress (which is why I also like taking vit-c and or some other type of antioxidants right when I wake up), a scoop of bcaa here will help kickstart the body into a more growth friendly environment

- drink during your workout as this will help minimize catabolism and help (in my experience) with strength and additional reps. When you workout, you are breaking muscle tissue down and depleting stores, drinking bcaa's during your workout is a great way to replenish what is being lost and give you one step forward towards better recovery

- a period of time where you are going to go without eating for more than 3+ hours is another great time to throw back a scoop or two of bcaa. This will help the body stay in a positive nitrogen balance keeping it growing and happy.

Just a few quick little tips that will maybe help ;)

MM11

MM11

Awards
  • Established
This is interesting. Not that I don't believe you but it's not my first time hearing about BCAAs and I've never heard this (I imagine your likely in agreement of questioning what you read on line before defining it as a fact). I always looked at it like protein with 4cal/g. Carbs being 4cal/g and alcohol with 7cal/g it seems like it is closer to sugar alcohols than protein.

Anyplace I can read up on this further?

M

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
This is interesting. Not that I don't believe you but it's not my first time hearing about BCAAs and I've never heard this (I imagine your likely in agreement of questioning what you read on line before defining it as a fact). I always looked at it like protein with 4cal/g. Carbs being 4cal/g and alcohol with 7cal/g it seems like it is closer to sugar alcohols than protein.

Anyplace I can read up on this further?
The 4 cal/g for protein is a weighted average of typical amino acid consumption. Indeed, most amino acids do provide around 4 cal/gram. But BCAAs require 6 cal/g due to their more complex chemistry. There are a couple studies showing calorimetry of each amino acid if you dig deeper.

Craigmatthew

Craigmatthew

Awards
  • Established
Jesus coops. I learn something from you everyday on here!

Brandon0212

Brandon0212

Awards
You might want to resort to Universal Torrent (high in carbs) or a protein shake.

MM11

MM11

Awards
  • Established
Interesting. I did more reading, working at a hospital has benefits.

To be honest the difference in 4-6 calories will not make or break me in any ways. Turns out all BCAAs have different calorie requirements.

Good to know, this probably won't change my life much.

What about effects on insulin?

M

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Interesting. I did more reading, working at a hospital has benefits.

To be honest the difference in 4-6 calories will not make or break me in any ways. Turns out all BCAAs have different calorie requirements.

Good to know, this probably won't change my life much.

What about effects on insulin?

They're pretty insulinogenic but it's very transient (spike with low latency; low overall AUC).

MuscleGauge1

MuscleGauge1

Board Sponsor
Awards
I've never tried BCAA for a meal replacement but that sounds interesting to say the least.I don't think that you
will be getting many calories from it though that's the only thing. But it isn't a bad idea I would suggest maybe
doing a BCAA with a protein shake for some added calories to get in your body. You don't want to starve yourself

WPD111

WPD111

Awards
I do this and did this morning with perform BCAA

BCAA alone in between breakfast and lunch

double s

double s

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I generally do a mid morning or afternoon shake but sometimes feel I may be stressing my kidneys a little too much so I am going to try a BCAA only meal and see if I can curb the hunger as well. I am trying to lean out so perhaps this will help.