Can antibiotics decrease the effectiveness of supplements?

  1. New Member
    l1fterp1nk's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    91
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    9
    Lv. Percent
    4.43%

    Can antibiotics decrease the effectiveness of supplements?


    I use a slightly heavy antibiotic for acne prescribed by a dermatologist. Can these antibiotics impair the effectiveness of any supplements and if so which? I'm mostly talking about things like multivitamins, vitamins, probiotics, natural test boosters/ aromatise inhibitors, zma, any thing like that?

  2. Elite Member
    kbayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    6,197
    Rep Power
    4795782
    Level
    84
    Lv. Percent
    11.28%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by l1fterp1nk View Post
    I use a slightly heavy antibiotic for acne prescribed by a dermatologist. Can these antibiotics impair the effectiveness of any supplements and if so which? I'm mostly talking about things like multivitamins, vitamins, probiotics, natural test boosters/ aromatise inhibitors, zma, any thing like that?
    Probiotics are actually beneficial to people taking antibiotics. Certain vitamins work along with antibiotics also.

    As for test boosters and supplements along that line it really depends on the certain antibiotic and test booster ingredients you are talking about.
    PES Representative
    http://www.pescience.com/insider
    http://www.selectprotein.com
  3. New Member
    l1fterp1nk's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    91
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    9
    Lv. Percent
    4.43%

    Quote Originally Posted by kbayne View Post

    Probiotics are actually beneficial to people taking antibiotics. Certain vitamins work along with antibiotics also.

    As for test boosters and supplements along that line it really depends on the certain antibiotic and test booster ingredients you are talking about.
    Is the zma included in that line of supplements? Could you give me some examples? I have taken amoxicillin, and an currently on bactrim ds
    •   
       

  4. Elite Member
    kbayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    6,197
    Rep Power
    4795782
    Level
    84
    Lv. Percent
    11.28%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by l1fterp1nk View Post

    Is the zma included in that line of supplements? Could you give me some examples? I have taken amoxicillin, and an currently on bactrim ds
    I wouldn't take ZMA with antibiotics. I'm not on my computer right now but others will chime in with information. Once I do ill let you know some more
    PES Representative
    http://www.pescience.com/insider
    http://www.selectprotein.com
  5. Elite Member
    kbayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    6,197
    Rep Power
    4795782
    Level
    84
    Lv. Percent
    11.28%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

    Honestly though I would ask your doctor about certain supplements and antibiotic use.
    PES Representative
    http://www.pescience.com/insider
    http://www.selectprotein.com
  6. New Member
    l1fterp1nk's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    91
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    9
    Lv. Percent
    4.43%

    Quote Originally Posted by kbayne View Post

    I wouldn't take ZMA with antibiotics. I'm not on my computer right now but others will chime in with information. Once I do ill let you know some more
    Alright I tried to do some research but not much came up on google! Thank you though!
  7. Elite Member
    kbayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    6,197
    Rep Power
    4795782
    Level
    84
    Lv. Percent
    11.28%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by l1fterp1nk View Post

    Alright I tried to do some research but not much came up on google! Thank you though!
    No problem man. Coop will probably stop in and give you answers.
    PES Representative
    http://www.pescience.com/insider
    http://www.selectprotein.com
  8. AnabolicMinds Site Rep
    Spaniard's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  186 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    7,060
    Rep Power
    5129323
    Level
    89
    Lv. Percent
    83.82%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

    Re: Can antibiotics decrease the effectiveness of supplements?


    This is about border line on medical advice which would be best answered by your Dr like Bayne said man.

    - Valdez
    ~Olympus Labs DemiGod And Rep ~

    AnabolicMinds.com Site Rep
  9. Elite Member
    kbayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    6,197
    Rep Power
    4795782
    Level
    84
    Lv. Percent
    11.28%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by Valdez View Post
    This is about border line on medical advice which would be best answered by your Dr like Bayne said man.

    - Valdez
    Haha stop it Valdez you are making me blush.
    PES Representative
    http://www.pescience.com/insider
    http://www.selectprotein.com
  10. Senior Member
    antihero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,357
    Rep Power
    253647
    Level
    33
    Lv. Percent
    72.2%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by kbayne View Post

    I wouldn't take ZMA with antibiotics. I'm not on my computer right now but others will chime in with information. Once I do ill let you know some more
    I see no reason not to. Zinc's impact on sickness is well documented, and neither magnesium nor B6 have a negative impact that I'm aware of.
    Serious Nutrition Solutions
    Revolutionizing Sports Nutrition, One Product At A Time
    antihero [@] SeriousNutritionSolutions.com
  11. Elite Member
    breezy11's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,568
    Rep Power
    3994678
    Level
    85
    Lv. Percent
    60.07%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by antihero View Post

    I see no reason not to. Zinc's impact on sickness is well documented, and neither magnesium nor B6 have a negative impact that I'm aware of.
    I just got off of antibiotics and one (Cipro) has the following on the bottle: Do not take antacids, iron, vitamin/mineral supplements within 6 hours before or 2 hours after this medication.
    PES Representative
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://selectprotein.com
  12. Elite Member
    Jiigzz's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,381
    Rep Power
    4026956
    Level
    79
    Lv. Percent
    28.09%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

    Speak to your doctor or pharmacist
  13. Senior Member
    antihero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,357
    Rep Power
    253647
    Level
    33
    Lv. Percent
    72.2%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by breezy11 View Post
    I just got off of antibiotics and one (Cipro) has the following on the bottle: Do not take antacids, iron, vitamin/mineral supplements within 6 hours before or 2 hours after this medication.
    If I'm not mistaken, that simply relates to absorption of the drug; not because there is potential danger in doing it. And it's not necessary to discontinue the use of a vitamin/mineral supplement, just to make sure they are not dosed together (within the given time frame).
    Serious Nutrition Solutions
    Revolutionizing Sports Nutrition, One Product At A Time
    antihero [@] SeriousNutritionSolutions.com
  14. Board Sponsor
    Grambo's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  188 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    3,850
    Rep Power
    1101933
    Level
    56
    Lv. Percent
    40.48%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Can antibiotics decrease the effectiveness of supplements?


    Antihero is completely correct. It's not a label saying you must discontinue those products just not use around the time of administration due to the changes in acidity of the stomach which would decrease absorption of Cipro. (I am qualified to say this by the way)
    Head Purus Labs Rep
    www.Puruslabs.net
  15. Professional Member
    PalmFist's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    4,293
    Rep Power
    1896202
    Level
    64
    Lv. Percent
    98.81%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    I came down with some bad stuff while on cycle about two months ago and had to take antibiotics for two weeks. Cipro and something else. I kept taking everything the same except my nighttime multi ZMA. I had to work around anything dairy/whey because when taken with the pills it caused intestinal distress, which was a hassle because I had to take that specific antibiotic 4x a day, the other one twice a day. Oh what a pain the whole thing was. I didn't feel that it complicated the efficacy of any of the supps I was taking but I did have to take it easy and only lifted like 4 times the whole two weeks. There's that for you, take it as you will. Best bet, ask your pharmacist...
    Independent Review
  16. New Member
    rhizome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    31
    Rep Power
    19442
    Level
    8
    Lv. Percent
    62.64%

    Short answer - potentially yes. Your gut microflora has a role in nutrient reclaimation and drug/xenobiotic metabolism and can potentially alter it (paracetamol is one that comes to mind). Manipulating gut bacterial populations with introduction and/or removal of strains is an active area of research for altering drug pharmacokinetics, pharmacodynamics, metabolism and toxicity. This area is relatively unexplored so what and to what extent is not well known.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-01-2012, 07:29 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-24-2010, 07:52 PM
  3. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-28-2003, 04:15 PM
  4. The Effects of Diet On Testosterone Parts 1 & 2
    By YellowJacket in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-26-2003, 12:19 AM
  5. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-23-2002, 11:13 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in