Can antibiotics decrease the effectiveness of supplements?

l1fterp1nk

Awards
  • Established
I use a slightly heavy antibiotic for acne prescribed by a dermatologist. Can these antibiotics impair the effectiveness of any supplements and if so which? I'm mostly talking about things like multivitamins, vitamins, probiotics, natural test boosters/ aromatise inhibitors, zma, any thing like that?

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I use a slightly heavy antibiotic for acne prescribed by a dermatologist. Can these antibiotics impair the effectiveness of any supplements and if so which? I'm mostly talking about things like multivitamins, vitamins, probiotics, natural test boosters/ aromatise inhibitors, zma, any thing like that?
Probiotics are actually beneficial to people taking antibiotics. Certain vitamins work along with antibiotics also.

As for test boosters and supplements along that line it really depends on the certain antibiotic and test booster ingredients you are talking about.

l1fterp1nk

Awards
  • Established
Probiotics are actually beneficial to people taking antibiotics. Certain vitamins work along with antibiotics also.

As for test boosters and supplements along that line it really depends on the certain antibiotic and test booster ingredients you are talking about.
Is the zma included in that line of supplements? Could you give me some examples? I have taken amoxicillin, and an currently on bactrim ds

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Is the zma included in that line of supplements? Could you give me some examples? I have taken amoxicillin, and an currently on bactrim ds
I wouldn't take ZMA with antibiotics. I'm not on my computer right now but others will chime in with information. Once I do ill let you know some more

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Honestly though I would ask your doctor about certain supplements and antibiotic use.

l1fterp1nk

Awards
  • Established
I wouldn't take ZMA with antibiotics. I'm not on my computer right now but others will chime in with information. Once I do ill let you know some more
Alright I tried to do some research but not much came up on google! Thank you though!

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Alright I tried to do some research but not much came up on google! Thank you though!
No problem man. Coop will probably stop in and give you answers.

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
This is about border line on medical advice which would be best answered by your Dr like Bayne said man.

- Valdez

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
This is about border line on medical advice which would be best answered by your Dr like Bayne said man.

- Valdez
Haha stop it Valdez :) you are making me blush.

antihero

antihero

Awards
  • Established
I see no reason not to. Zinc's impact on sickness is well documented, and neither magnesium nor B6 have a negative impact that I'm aware of.

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I see no reason not to. Zinc's impact on sickness is well documented, and neither magnesium nor B6 have a negative impact that I'm aware of.
I just got off of antibiotics and one (Cipro) has the following on the bottle: Do not take antacids, iron, vitamin/mineral supplements within 6 hours before or 2 hours after this medication.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Speak to your doctor or pharmacist

antihero

antihero

Awards
  • Established
I just got off of antibiotics and one (Cipro) has the following on the bottle: Do not take antacids, iron, vitamin/mineral supplements within 6 hours before or 2 hours after this medication.
If I'm not mistaken, that simply relates to absorption of the drug; not because there is potential danger in doing it. And it's not necessary to discontinue the use of a vitamin/mineral supplement, just to make sure they are not dosed together (within the given time frame).

Grambo

Grambo

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Antihero is completely correct. It's not a label saying you must discontinue those products just not use around the time of administration due to the changes in acidity of the stomach which would decrease absorption of Cipro. (I am qualified to say this by the way)

PalmFist

PalmFist

Awards
I came down with some bad stuff while on cycle about two months ago and had to take antibiotics for two weeks. Cipro and something else. I kept taking everything the same except my nighttime multi ZMA. I had to work around anything dairy/whey because when taken with the pills it caused intestinal distress, which was a hassle because I had to take that specific antibiotic 4x a day, the other one twice a day. Oh what a pain the whole thing was. I didn't feel that it complicated the efficacy of any of the supps I was taking but I did have to take it easy and only lifted like 4 times the whole two weeks. There's that for you, take it as you will. Best bet, ask your pharmacist...

rhizome

Awards
Short answer - potentially yes. Your gut microflora has a role in nutrient reclaimation and drug/xenobiotic metabolism and can potentially alter it (paracetamol is one that comes to mind). Manipulating gut bacterial populations with introduction and/or removal of strains is an active area of research for altering drug pharmacokinetics, pharmacodynamics, metabolism and toxicity. This area is relatively unexplored so what and to what extent is not well known.