Supps for 16 Year Old Football Player

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
My step son plays nose tackle on the High school football team. He is 16, 6'-1" and 240 lbs with a shoe size of 13.

He lifts under direction at school and at a private gym. I'm noticing his diet doesn't always stay "clean" (I'm working on him but you know how teens are).

He takes protein and multi right now. What do you guys recommend for additions?

boogyman

Awards
Food. Plenty of sleep. Lift weights, using primary compound movements. He plays football so make sure he learns some explosive movements like power cleans. Lots of running.

I would not worry about keeping the diet really clean at 16. Just make sure he eats enough whole foods, meat, veggies, ect. Your supposed to eat some crap at that age, don't make it so strict he hates it.

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
Food. Plenty of sleep. Lift weights, using primary compound movements. He plays football so make sure he learns some explosive movements like power cleans. Lots of running.

I would not worry about keeping the diet really clean at 16. Just make sure he eats enough whole foods, meat, veggies, ect. Your supposed to eat some crap at that age, don't make it so strict he hates it.
This , thanks. GOMAD, a good diet rich in micronutrients and keep him off Booze and Tobacco. No supps under 18 years old.

Mack411

Mack411

Awards
Agreed with above post,food and plenty of rest will serve him well.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
protein and BCAAs along with what everyone else has said

Mack411

Mack411

Awards
protein and BCAAs along with what everyone else has said
He should focus on getting this from his diet!If diet is good he wouldnt need these in supplement form!

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
He should focus on getting this from his diet!If diet is good he wouldnt need these in supplement form!
Ehhh. A little extra protein and aminos won't hurt. Your comment would apply to everyone who uses them

Mack411

Mack411

Awards
Ehhh. A little extra protein and aminos won't hurt. Your comment would apply to everyone who uses them
In no way did I mean it would hurt,I just will not recommend the use of supplements to someone at a young age.As it seems they become very dependant on them very easy.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i agree that diet and training should be his focus, but protein and BCAAs would only be a benefit unless he relied on them in place of food. but using them as a "supplement" to go along with diet and training would be a good thing (like we all do)

Nico1

Nico1

Awards
keep his mindset positive, do what ever it takes to ensure he knows how to pick himself up once he reaches some sort of failure in his life

thats no supplement, but i feel very important

antihero

antihero

Awards
  • Established
My step son plays nose tackle on the High school football team. He is 16, 6'-1" and 240 lbs with a shoe size of 13.

He lifts under direction at school and at a private gym. I'm noticing his diet doesn't always stay "clean" (I'm working on him but you know how teens are).

He takes protein and multi right now. What do you guys recommend for additions?
Dietary supplements are only recommended for those over the age of 18.

That being said, the most important things to focus on at this point are the basics. Constantly reinforcing proper form, consistency, and structure. Building a good work ethic is worth more than a warehouse full of supplements.

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Olympic lifts for explosive power... One of the best things you could do for him is to hire a strength and conditioning coach to teach the BOTH of you proper diet layout and training regimen. Spend your money on that build on the fundamentals and reap the benefits.

Sleep, eat, get good grades, get a scholarship and buy you a house.

- Valdez

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Olympic lifts for explosive power... One of the best things you could do for him is to hire a strength and conditioning coach to teach the BOTH of you proper diet layout and training regimen. Spend your money on that build on the fundamentals and reap the benefits.

Sleep, eat, get good grades, get a scholarship and buy you a house.

- Valdez
This.. 6'1 240.. Plays nose tackle.. I say increase his 40 time and move him to OLB ;) hire a trainer and let him go wild. What I would give to have had that size.. I wouldn't have ended up at a division 3 school! Lol

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks to all for the advice. He is a good kid and we keep trying to impress upon him a good diet, plenty of sleep, good training form and consistency. He trains at school under a coach's instruction as well as in a private gym under a athletic trainer's direction.

We stress a positive attitude and keep him grounded with strong morals. This is getting hard to do with all the "interesting characters" that are his teachers, friends and school athletic trainers/coaches.

Thanks for the input on supplements. Will stick to just whey protein, one shake after his heavy lifting workouts.

Hawk87

Hawk87

Awards
lots of delicious whole food. Extra steak, chichen, burgers, fish, veggies, fruit, and starches.

Also, if he needs to gain a little weight: whole organic chocolate milk is the most delicious post workout drink! and it has plenty of calories for a football player

ironwiz

ironwiz

Awards
  • Established
Keep it simple with Protein, BCAA's, a quality multi and fish-oil.