Supplement for Recovery?

LiamGTR

LiamGTR

Awards
Hi all,

With the jobs I do (PT + S&C Coach) I am training people quite a lot, which means a lot of demo's from me + as well as doing my own training.. it's starting to take it's tole (and I'm only 21! :worried:).

Stats:
  • Age 21
  • Weight: 81kg
  • Height: 5' 8"/174cm
  • BF%: 11.7% - According to our 'Tanita Body Composition Monitor', unfortunately don't have any calipers.
In terms of my diet I'm eating well within/above my BMR/TDEE and my macro's (45:30:25), although aren't gram perfect, should be more than enough for what my stats and training demand.

Only supplements I use are:
  • 1 x Kirkland Signature Daily Multi
  • 1 x Fish Oil
  • 2 x PhD Diet Whey (with 5g creatine added to each shake)
  • When I have a sweet craving I'll go for a Smart-Tec DietFX protein bar, taste awesome!
But the DOM's I'm getting from all my Oly Lifting & Sprint Training is just getting worse and worse, my hip flexors struggle to pick up my legs sometimes, and I'm not trying to say I have huge legs, but my flexors are taking a right beating.

I sleep around 7hrs on average and have about 1 complete rest day + 1 'active-rest' day per week.

..Any recommendations from personal experience please?

Last edited:
bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
BCAA's will help a lot. A serving pre workout and can also be sipped during the day between workouts.

Also, use foam rollers on those hip flexors. Rolling really saved me from crippling pain from overuse.

MSM taken at 5-10grams per day also seems to help me recover greatly.

If you were older, I might suggest hyaluronic acid/type 1 and 3 collagen, but try the above list first.

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I am currently interning with one of the US weightlifting coaches for the Olympics. That being said make no mistake the toll that sort of training takes on your body is great. Make sure you're taking in a decent amount of your carbs post training. Are you doing two a days? You may need to up your cals to allow for adequate recovery.

I would recommend creatine, keep taking that, it won't necessarily help with recovery but is definitely something you should have included. We (SNS) have creatine that can be found for $11 year supply.

Fish oils

Multi vitamin is probably a good idea due to high level of exertion. Orange triad also has a joint complex in there that may help with joint pain. I would go with that over your Costco multi.

LCLT may help with recovery.

Honestly though besides those few I would go with making sure your diet is able to handle recovery and rest up my man.

- Valdez

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I personally take
creatine
Citrulline malate
Beta alanine
Orange triad
Lots of green tea
Focus XT during really intense learning sessions

- Valdez

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
Magnesium Creatine Chelate, PLCAR / LCLT , Higher calories...up the fat intake to a .5g/bw , not a ratio...Increase caloric intake too if it's too taxing.

Cissus-XT and Orange Triad are magnificent for the joints, I have a meet in 3~ weeks and my flexors are back to normal with this combo, after almost really messing up the left one and straining the right one. Fish oil and Krill oil helped a lot in that too, combined with the aforementioned combo.

For recovery in between sets, specially if training too hard, COP and Beta Alanine go a long way...3.2g of BA a day, and 2g COP pre workout help a lot to keep you going during the workouts.

BCAAs are pointless on a bulk/maintenance protocol, as long as sufficient protein allotment is met (1g/lb of body weight is more than enough unless you are on AAS), and needless unless on fasting periods.

As a little note and just in case...no need to load creatine, be it MCC or Mono, no need at all...just dose 3g at least 4-5 times a week, specially on your workout days AT ANY TIME OF THE DAY.

Hope that helps.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
I am currently interning with one of the US weightlifting coaches for the Olympics. That being said make no mistake the toll that sort of training takes on your body is great. Make sure you're taking in a decent amount of your carbs post training. Are you doing two a days? You may need to up your cals to allow for adequate recovery.

I would recommend creatine, keep taking that, it won't necessarily help with recovery but is definitely something you should have included. We (SNS) have creatine that can be found for $11 year supply.

Fish oils

Multi vitamin is probably a good idea due to high level of exertion. Orange triad also has a joint complex in there that may help with joint pain. I would go with that over your Costco multi.

LCLT may help with recovery.

Honestly though besides those few I would go with making sure your diet is able to handle recovery and rest up my man.

- Valdez
Where?!?! Thats a steal.

Oh and the above advice is good;

How often do you have a deload week?

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
That SNS DAA sold out too fast :(

That price was awesome !!

UncleWade

UncleWade

Awards
  • Established
A combination of iForce's Compete intraworkout product combined with bulk citrulline malate (shown by clinical studies to have significant success reducing DOMS) from Serious Nutrition Solutions has really done wonders for my recovery time with different, insanely demanding programs like PHAT, Mountain Dog, and Doggcrapp. I've been deeply impressed - the extra tartness from bulk cit mal really helps the already awesome flavors of Compete shine, too. I'd highly recommend the combination.

TheSwanks

TheSwanks

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Formutech Endurance BCAA plus extra citruline malate before and during workout. For your joints check out Flexible it works great. Make sure you are eating enough and drinking enough water. Foam rolling and stretching might help you too.

When was the last time you took a week off? Could be boardering on overtraining

PrepNwa23

PrepNwa23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
As i get up there in age anymore i like using the foam roller to help me stretch. Supplement wise i keep it pretty simple anymore, Citrulline malate, Creatine, LCLT, ALCAR, Leucine, Fish Oil and Protein. But it seems to be working for me i feel better and not spending as much as i wise on supplements. Also obviously making sure your diet is in check and your getting good whole foods, with a good nights sleep will aid in any recovery.

LiamGTR

LiamGTR

Awards
Thanks for the advice guys, yea I do currently foam roll a lot with the odd PNF, warm up/mobilise more than enough. I might give this orange triad stuff a try I remember reading a review on here and it got top marks?

Sorry for taking so long to reply, I've literally been this busy. I've currently upped my protein intake and as well as my 2/day I'll also sip one throughout the day, as well as now having an extra serving of 100g chicken every other day.

Regarding the creatine, I'm already taking 5g/day so I'm hoping that's enough.

I always carb up post workout, I try for between 3-4:1 carb:protein, I know above said don't work with ratios but I've done it for so long it makes it easier for me

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Where?!?! Thats a steal.

Oh and the above advice is good;

How often do you have a deload week?
Gotta look around brotha man
That SNS DAA sold out too fast :(

That price was awesome !!
Indeed!
A combination of iForce's Compete intraworkout product combined with bulk citrulline malate (shown by clinical studies to have significant success reducing DOMS) from Serious Nutrition Solutions has really done wonders for my recovery time with different, insanely demanding programs like PHAT, Mountain Dog, and Doggcrapp. I've been deeply impressed - the extra tartness from bulk cit mal really helps the already awesome flavors of Compete shine, too. I'd highly recommend the combination.
This is the exact combination I'm getting ready to try!

As i get up there in age anymore i like using the foam roller to help me stretch. Supplement wise i keep it pretty simple anymore, Citrulline malate, Creatine, LCLT, ALCAR, Leucine, Fish Oil and Protein. But it seems to be working for me i feel better and not spending as much as i wise on supplements. Also obviously making sure your diet is in check and your getting good whole foods, with a good nights sleep will aid in any recovery.
Most definitely, all great suggestions!
Thanks for the advice guys, yea I do currently foam roll a lot with the odd PNF, warm up/mobilise more than enough. I might give this orange triad stuff a try I remember reading a review on here and it got top marks?

Sorry for taking so long to reply, I've literally been this busy. I've currently upped my protein intake and as well as my 2/day I'll also sip one throughout the day, as well as now having an extra serving of 100g chicken every other day.

Regarding the creatine, I'm already taking 5g/day so I'm hoping that's enough.

I always carb up post workout, I try for between 3-4:1 carb:protein, I know above said don't work with ratios but I've done it for so long it makes it easier for me
Try to sneak even a 30 minute nap in between the 2 a days

- Valdez

02sixxer

02sixxer

Awards
Hi all,

With the jobs I do (PT + S&C Coach) I am training people quite a lot, which means a lot of demo's from me + as well as doing my own training.. it's starting to take it's tole (and I'm only 21! :worried:).

Stats:

• Age 21
  • Weight: 81kg
  • Height: 5' 8"/174cm
  • BF%: 11.7% - According to our 'Tanita Body Composition Monitor', unfortunately don't have any calipers.
In terms of my diet I'm eating well within/above my BMR/TDEE and my macro's (45:30:25), although aren't gram perfect, should be more than enough for what my stats and training demand.

Only supplements I use are:
  • 1 x Kirkland Signature Daily Multi
  • 1 x Fish Oil
  • 2 x PhD Diet Whey (with 5g creatine added to each shake)
  • When I have a sweet craving I'll go for a Smart-Tec DietFX protein bar, taste awesome!
But the DOM's I'm getting from all my Oly Lifting & Sprint Training is just getting worse and worse, my hip flexors struggle to pick up my legs sometimes, and I'm not trying to say I have huge legs, but my flexors are taking a right beating.

I sleep around 7hrs on average and have about 1 complete rest day + 1 'active-rest' day per week.

..Any recommendations from personal experience please?
Add in BCAA intra workout. When I do S&C training with my high school clients, I have to do 2 scoops. The workouts are lonnger and I may do 2 or 3 at a time, I really get a workout myself. It's not the same as my 45 + clients, which are much more slow and less aggressive.

ZMA may be a good choice. As Valdez stated Creatine is a must and at 11 bucks a year, thats a steal. As far as BCAA I reccomend either Endurance or Perform.

Diet becomes, more and more important the more active you are. Carb up!! If you are that active you will burn through them.

LiamGTR

LiamGTR

Awards
I thik the ZMA is a good shout, I enjoyed the last time I used it

PrepNwa23

PrepNwa23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Just quick suggestion if OP is looking for creatine I'd recommend if your not going mono, try SNS MCC.

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Just quick suggestion if OP is looking for creatine I'd recommend if your not going mono, try SNS MCC.

Why? Mono works wonders for me compared to other forms.

And i totally agree with Compete + Bulk SNS CM!! Solid combo!

Mike