Agmatine Anti-Anxiety effects + Alcohol - AnabolicMinds.com

Agmatine Anti-Anxiety effects + Alcohol

1. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  170 lbs.

Reputation Reputation

Agmatine Anti-Anxiety effects + Alcohol

Since agmatine possess neuroprotective and anxiolytic properties, could it be utilized to help manage social anxiety whilst drinking?
    Whilst I know that in general mixing supplements with alcohol isn't the greatest idea, certain members have advocated the use of ALCAR pre-alcohol for its neuroprotective properties, leading me to wonder whether agmatine could be utilized in a similar way.
    Does anyone have any experience with this?

2. Senior Member

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

You get social anxiety while drinking? That seems pretty backwards.

While ALCAR definitely has a beneficial use pre-drinking, I dont think Agmatine would offer the same or similar benefits.
    Serious Nutrition Solutions
    Revolutionizing Sports Nutrition, One Product At A Time
    antihero [@] SeriousNutritionSolutions.com
  3. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  158 lbs.

Yeah that does seem backwards. People drink to get over social anxiety. That's why I drink before I drive, because I'm very self conscious about my driving.
    •   

4. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
    Yeah that does seem backwards. People drink to get over social anxiety. That's why I drink before I drive, because I'm very self conscious about my driving.
    Nice
  5. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  170 lbs.

Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by antihero View Post
    You get social anxiety while drinking? That seems pretty backwards.

While ALCAR definitely has a beneficial use pre-drinking, I dont think Agmatine would offer the same or similar benefits.
    sorry that didn't really come out right, I was more looking at it as a way to reduce social anxiety (which i get all the time) so that I wouldn't get anxious and end up drinking far more than I should in an effort to reduce the anxiety.
    Is there any reason why it wouldn't be safe or more that it just wouldn't be effective?
  6. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  0 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

take some phenibut!
    Hardcore Supps for the Hardcore Trainer
    Use Discount Code AM20 To Save 20% At www.ironflexsupps.com

7. Diamond Member

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Agmatine is an NMDA antagonist. Very different from ALCAR which prevents neurotoxicity via acetate donation.
    http://pescience.com/
    http://selectprotein.com/
    The above is my own opinion and does not reflect the opinion of PES
  8. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  205 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

ALCAR alone should be fine.
    PES ALPHAMINE Log
    h ttp://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/213082-pes-alphamine-log.html
  9. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'5"  220 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

2-3g phenibut, 2g ALCAR, 200mg caffeine, a decent dose of phenyl piracetam or n-pept, and some DMAA and I'm on a roll at the bar. No drinks required.
    Genomyx Rep
    www.genomyx.com
  10. Senior Member

its worth a try, dude. just avoid to much alcohol, but hopefully it will work for you so you dont feel the need to drink more. phenibut is another great option once you dial in your dose.
    VO2 Max = 58.75mL/kg/min
    ~If Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week~
    Learn Teach Lead
  11. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'7"  162 lbs.

Phenibut for sure. ALCAR would do fine on its own. Even PEA might be beneficial.
    By believing passionately in something that still does not exist, we create it. The nonexistent is whatever we have not sufficiently desired.
    Franz Kafka
  12. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'5"  220 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Be careful with phenibut though.
    I have plenty of real life experience with it and it is definitely not something you should take every day.
    If you take it a few days in a row, your next day or two off from it will not be so pleasant. You will have random intense bouts of anxiety during the day, and feel completely refreshed on hardly any sleep.

I find that dosing 3 times a week was my threshold. With that schedule, I saw no sides or withdrawals and slept well.

Not trying to scare anyone. It is a great supplement. You just have to respect it.

Taking 2g is perfect for anxiety. Taking 3g you will actually feel euphoric.
    Genomyx Rep
    www.genomyx.com
  13. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  185 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by FL3X MAGNUM
    I have plenty of real life experience with it and it is definitely not something you should take every day.
    If you take it a few days in a row, your next day or two off from it will not be so pleasant. You will have random intense bouts of anxiety during the day, and feel completely refreshed on hardly any sleep.

I find that dosing 3 times a week was my threshold. With that schedule, I saw no sides or withdrawals and slept well.

Not trying to scare anyone. It is a great supplement. You just have to respect it.

Feels like my face is about to explode!!!
    PES Representative
    http://pescience.com/insider http://facebook.com/pescience
  14. New Member
    Stats
    6'3"  182 lbs.

The anxiolytic effect of Agmatine was relatively mild for me. Other products like Relora and Theanine were much better for anti-anxiety.
  15. Banned

400-600mg l-theanine
  16. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'7"  162 lbs.

Yeah phenibut is NOT an every day supp. Fl3x broke it down very well.

I have heard a couple guys on here who take RPM before a night out. It's an idea. Drive for sure.

-OS-Team AppNut
    By believing passionately in something that still does not exist, we create it. The nonexistent is whatever we have not sufficiently desired.
    Franz Kafka
  17. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by FL3X MAGNUM View Post

Well said. I personally recommend rising phenibut no more than 2x per week on non-consecutive days.
    Serious Nutrition Solutions
    Revolutionizing Sports Nutrition, One Product At A Time
    antihero [@] SeriousNutritionSolutions.com
  18. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  170 lbs.

Reputation Reputation

Gave the agmatine a try on saturday night, 500mg with half a scoop of focus xt since I didn't have any ALCAR, definately felt less anxious and a lot more outgoing than usual, didn't really help with reducing consumption but I guess that comes down to my personality more than anything. I think I'll give it a try with just the agmatine next time and see how much of a difference there is.

Thanks for all the suggestions, looks like my next nutra order will have to contain some phenibut.
  19. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Daxter View Post
    Gave the agmatine a try on saturday night, 500mg with half a scoop of focus xt since I didn't have any ALCAR, definately felt less anxious and a lot more outgoing than usual, didn't really help with reducing consumption but I guess that comes down to my personality more than anything. I think I'll give it a try with just the agmatine next time and see how much of a difference there is.

Thanks for all the suggestions, looks like my next nutra order will have to contain some phenibut.
    Love that combination
    Serious Nutrition Solutions | Online Representative
    Growth Factor XT-GROW! Need Cycle Support? Check out Liver XT.
    Follow SNS on Facebook for more promos!
  20. Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by Daxter View Post

I really don't suggest agmatine with alcohol. Alcohol-induced neurodegeneration is due to compensatory NMDA excitotoxicity during withdrawal, inflammatory cytokine/chemokine release by microglial cells, and inhibition of adult neurogenesis. The former of these causes may actually be exacerbated by agmatine, which, like alcohol, is also an NMDA-receptor antagonist. If you wanted to use agmatine for neuroprotection, dose it after alcohol has cleared from your system (i.e. when you wake up at night, or the following morning). In this way, you can prevent an excess influx of Ca 2+ into the neurons housing NMDA-receptors during the period of alcohol withdrawal, in which glutamate peaks and NMDARs may experience increased expression in the membrane (usually in chronic cases).
  21. Enhanced Body Formulations

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post

I really don't suggest agmatine with alcohol. Alcohol-induced neurodegeneration is due to compensatory NMDA excitotoxicity during withdrawal, inflammatory cytokine/chemokine release by microglial cells, and inhibition of adult neurogenesis. The former of these causes may actually be exacerbated by agmatine, which, like alcohol, is also an NMDA-receptor antagonist. If you wanted to use agmatine for neuroprotection, dose it after alcohol has cleared from your system (i.e. when you wake up at night, or the following morning). In this way, you can prevent an excess influx of Ca 2+ into the neurons housing NMDA-receptors during the period of alcohol withdrawal, in which glutamate peaks and NMDARs may experience increased expression in the membrane (usually in chronic cases).
    Dude,

You smart

:end thread:
    Enhanced Body Formulations Product Educator

For any questions on our products that need a quick response, please email me directly
    EnhancedBodyFormulations@gmail .com
  22. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'7"  162 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by EBF Inc View Post
    Dude,

You smart

:end thread:
    Yeah, thats a known thing around here. Mr.Cooper is quite knowledgable.

-OS-Team AppNut
    Franz Kafka
  23. Featured Author

agmatine seems to be a promising treatment for alcohol withdrawal syndrome and chronic alcohol induced neurodegenerationco administration with alcohol though might not be good on your tummy though
    Anabolicminds.com Featured Author
  24. Diamond Member

I'd amend my earlier statement to say that agmatine would need to be ingested during the acute withdrawal phase if you want to diminish excitotoxicity. I believe I was referring to co-ingestion with that earlier post.

And yes, it looks to have amazing rat data on drug withdrawal and pain therapy
  25. Featured Author

I'd amend my earlier statement to say that agmatine would need to be ingested during the acute withdrawal phase if you want to diminish excitotoxicity. I believe I was referring to co-ingestion with that earlier post.

And yes, it looks to have amazing rat data on drug withdrawal and pain therapy

apparently it may be a good anti-depressant too. I just did a keyword search

NMDA antagonism could be the holy grail for depression. All these years targetting dopamine, serotonin etc might have been the wrong path
  26. Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Arnold View Post
    apparently it may be a good anti-depressant too. I just did a keyword search

NMDA antagonism could be the holy grail for depression. All these years targetting dopamine, serotonin etc might have been the wrong path
    I wouldn't call it wrong, I just think there's potential for tons of different forms of molecular pathogenesis...especially where the nervous system is concerned.
  27. Featured Author

I wouldn't call it wrong, I just think there's potential for tons of different forms of molecular pathogenesis...especially where the nervous system is concerned.
    i see what you are saying. i think the term "depression" is so vague that it can describe a variety of psychiatric dysfunctions stemming from a variety of pathological conditions invovling neurolgical function
  28. Senior Member

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

I guess I need to try some Agmatine.
  29. Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by FL3X MAGNUM View Post
    2-3g phenibut, 2g ALCAR, 200mg caffeine, a decent dose of phenyl piracetam or n-pept, and some DMAA and I'm on a roll at the bar. No drinks required.
    Tell me more...
    ENHANCED BODY FORMULATIONS
    Get Your Lean On

Similar Forum Threads

1. Anti-cortisol and alcohol
    By johnyq in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-24-2007, 03:46 PM
  2. Orals : Time need for Anti-Catabolic effects?
    By solarize in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-30-2006, 07:09 PM
  3. Do anti-anxiety type meds lower cortisol?
    By rkretz in forum OTC Drug
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 10-20-2006, 03:07 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-23-2006, 09:46 PM
  5. Anti-Aging effects of GH/IGF-1 by Ronald Katz, MD
    By Dwight Schrute in forum IGF-1/GH
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-04-2004, 10:24 PM