Agmatine Anti-Anxiety effects + Alcohol

Daxter

Daxter

Awards
Since agmatine possess neuroprotective and anxiolytic properties, could it be utilized to help manage social anxiety whilst drinking?
Whilst I know that in general mixing supplements with alcohol isn't the greatest idea, certain members have advocated the use of ALCAR pre-alcohol for its neuroprotective properties, leading me to wonder whether agmatine could be utilized in a similar way.
Does anyone have any experience with this?

antihero

antihero

Awards
  • Established
You get social anxiety while drinking? That seems pretty backwards.

While ALCAR definitely has a beneficial use pre-drinking, I dont think Agmatine would offer the same or similar benefits.

Agent Orange

Agent Orange

Awards
Yeah that does seem backwards. People drink to get over social anxiety. That's why I drink before I drive, because I'm very self conscious about my driving.

Daxter

Daxter

Awards
You get social anxiety while drinking? That seems pretty backwards.

While ALCAR definitely has a beneficial use pre-drinking, I dont think Agmatine would offer the same or similar benefits.
sorry that didn't really come out right, I was more looking at it as a way to reduce social anxiety (which i get all the time) so that I wouldn't get anxious and end up drinking far more than I should in an effort to reduce the anxiety.
Is there any reason why it wouldn't be safe or more that it just wouldn't be effective?

M

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Agmatine is an NMDA antagonist. Very different from ALCAR which prevents neurotoxicity via acetate donation.

FL3X MAGNUM

FL3X MAGNUM

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
2-3g phenibut, 2g ALCAR, 200mg caffeine, a decent dose of phenyl piracetam or n-pept, and some DMAA and I'm on a roll at the bar. No drinks required.

heebs10

heebs10

Awards
  • Established
its worth a try, dude. just avoid to much alcohol, but hopefully it will work for you so you dont feel the need to drink more. phenibut is another great option once you dial in your dose.

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
Phenibut for sure. ALCAR would do fine on its own. Even PEA might be beneficial.

FL3X MAGNUM

FL3X MAGNUM

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Be careful with phenibut though.
I have plenty of real life experience with it and it is definitely not something you should take every day.
If you take it a few days in a row, your next day or two off from it will not be so pleasant. You will have random intense bouts of anxiety during the day, and feel completely refreshed on hardly any sleep.

I find that dosing 3 times a week was my threshold. With that schedule, I saw no sides or withdrawals and slept well.

Not trying to scare anyone. It is a great supplement. You just have to respect it.

Taking 2g is perfect for anxiety. Taking 3g you will actually feel euphoric.

LiveToLift

LiveToLift

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have plenty of real life experience with it and it is definitely not something you should take every day.
If you take it a few days in a row, your next day or two off from it will not be so pleasant. You will have random intense bouts of anxiety during the day, and feel completely refreshed on hardly any sleep.

I find that dosing 3 times a week was my threshold. With that schedule, I saw no sides or withdrawals and slept well.

Not trying to scare anyone. It is a great supplement. You just have to respect it.

Feels like my face is about to explode!!! :D

Jon_b

Jon_b

Awards
The anxiolytic effect of Agmatine was relatively mild for me. Other products like Relora and Theanine were much better for anti-anxiety.

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
Yeah phenibut is NOT an every day supp. Fl3x broke it down very well.

I have heard a couple guys on here who take RPM before a night out. It's an idea. Drive for sure.

-OS-Team AppNut

antihero

antihero

Awards
  • Established

Well said. I personally recommend rising phenibut no more than 2x per week on non-consecutive days.

Daxter

Daxter

Awards
Gave the agmatine a try on saturday night, 500mg with half a scoop of focus xt since I didn't have any ALCAR, definately felt less anxious and a lot more outgoing than usual, didn't really help with reducing consumption but I guess that comes down to my personality more than anything. I think I'll give it a try with just the agmatine next time and see how much of a difference there is.

Thanks for all the suggestions, looks like my next nutra order will have to contain some phenibut.

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Gave the agmatine a try on saturday night, 500mg with half a scoop of focus xt since I didn't have any ALCAR, definately felt less anxious and a lot more outgoing than usual, didn't really help with reducing consumption but I guess that comes down to my personality more than anything. I think I'll give it a try with just the agmatine next time and see how much of a difference there is.

Thanks for all the suggestions, looks like my next nutra order will have to contain some phenibut.
Love that combination

M

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards

I really don't suggest agmatine with alcohol. Alcohol-induced neurodegeneration is due to compensatory NMDA excitotoxicity during withdrawal, inflammatory cytokine/chemokine release by microglial cells, and inhibition of adult neurogenesis. The former of these causes may actually be exacerbated by agmatine, which, like alcohol, is also an NMDA-receptor antagonist. If you wanted to use agmatine for neuroprotection, dose it after alcohol has cleared from your system (i.e. when you wake up at night, or the following morning). In this way, you can prevent an excess influx of Ca 2+ into the neurons housing NMDA-receptors during the period of alcohol withdrawal, in which glutamate peaks and NMDARs may experience increased expression in the membrane (usually in chronic cases).

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I really don't suggest agmatine with alcohol. Alcohol-induced neurodegeneration is due to compensatory NMDA excitotoxicity during withdrawal, inflammatory cytokine/chemokine release by microglial cells, and inhibition of adult neurogenesis. The former of these causes may actually be exacerbated by agmatine, which, like alcohol, is also an NMDA-receptor antagonist. If you wanted to use agmatine for neuroprotection, dose it after alcohol has cleared from your system (i.e. when you wake up at night, or the following morning). In this way, you can prevent an excess influx of Ca 2+ into the neurons housing NMDA-receptors during the period of alcohol withdrawal, in which glutamate peaks and NMDARs may experience increased expression in the membrane (usually in chronic cases).
Dude,

You smart

:end thread:

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
Patrick Arnold

Patrick Arnold

Featured Author
Awards
  • Established
agmatine seems to be a promising treatment for alcohol withdrawal syndrome and chronic alcohol induced neurodegenerationco administration with alcohol though might not be good on your tummy though

M

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
I'd amend my earlier statement to say that agmatine would need to be ingested during the acute withdrawal phase if you want to diminish excitotoxicity. I believe I was referring to co-ingestion with that earlier post.

And yes, it looks to have amazing rat data on drug withdrawal and pain therapy

Patrick Arnold

Patrick Arnold

Featured Author
Awards
  • Established
I'd amend my earlier statement to say that agmatine would need to be ingested during the acute withdrawal phase if you want to diminish excitotoxicity. I believe I was referring to co-ingestion with that earlier post.

And yes, it looks to have amazing rat data on drug withdrawal and pain therapy

apparently it may be a good anti-depressant too. I just did a keyword search

NMDA antagonism could be the holy grail for depression. All these years targetting dopamine, serotonin etc might have been the wrong path

M

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
apparently it may be a good anti-depressant too. I just did a keyword search

NMDA antagonism could be the holy grail for depression. All these years targetting dopamine, serotonin etc might have been the wrong path
I wouldn't call it wrong, I just think there's potential for tons of different forms of molecular pathogenesis...especially where the nervous system is concerned.

Patrick Arnold

Patrick Arnold

Featured Author
Awards
  • Established
I wouldn't call it wrong, I just think there's potential for tons of different forms of molecular pathogenesis...especially where the nervous system is concerned.
i see what you are saying. i think the term "depression" is so vague that it can describe a variety of psychiatric dysfunctions stemming from a variety of pathological conditions invovling neurolgical function

testosteronet

testosteronet

Awards
  • Established
I guess I need to try some Agmatine.

Ape McGrapes

Ape McGrapes

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
2-3g phenibut, 2g ALCAR, 200mg caffeine, a decent dose of phenyl piracetam or n-pept, and some DMAA and I'm on a roll at the bar. No drinks required.
Tell me more...