Protein Shake vs FOOD Source

Page 7 of 7 First ... 567
  1. AnabolicMinds Site Rep
    Spaniard's Avatar

    Re: Protein Shake vs FOOD Source


    Quote Originally Posted by LiveToLift View Post
    So this thread may have improved your quality of life?? Big win!
    We shall see, I'm still skeptical

    - Valdez

  2. Re: Protein Shake vs FOOD Source


    Quote Originally Posted by Valdez View Post
    So due to this cluster **** of a thread I decided to do a little research involving dairy and allergies.

    I have for quite sometime now (8+ years) had GERD and apparently it could be from dairy consumption... Hmmm... I'm going to go a little deeper later but I may give no dairy a go and see what happens. it would be nice to not have to take a damn pill every morning thirty minutes before I eat.

    - Valdez
    Do you take fish oil? If so, stop

    Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S™II using Tapatalk 2
    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates

  3. Quote Originally Posted by Valdez View Post
    So due to this cluster **** of a thread I decided to do a little research involving dairy and allergies.

    I have for quite sometime now (8+ years) had GERD and apparently it could be from dairy consumption... Hmmm... I'm going to go a little deeper later but I may give no dairy a go and see what happens. it would be nice to not have to take a damn pill every morning thirty minutes before I eat.
    and that's what it's all about
    isn't it strange, how something that seems odd or doubtful, or a wild turn of events that may seem depleted (or diminished, or even deleriously outrageous) -- can actually lead to personal growth and discovery?
    sure sometimes there is nothing to it - but that in itself is actually a learning experience

    Quote Originally Posted by Valdez View Post
    We shall see, I'm still skeptical
    always be balanced, healthy skepticism is tremendously valuable (as been mentioned)
    always question everything, not in the paranoid sense, just logically and thoroughly
    never believe everything you are told


    for my part, i learned that hey - maybe science (esp in regards to compositional factors) may not be so bad after all..maybe i like it
    (i still always carry healthy skepticism lol)
    and, my next realm of self-discovery in dietary discretion may just be tackling the total gluten-free barrier..
    signs point to this being absolutely conducive with other beliefs of mine, and further enhancing my quest for not only health but also my appearance

    dig it
    •   
       

  4. AnabolicMinds Site Rep
    Spaniard's Avatar

    Re: Protein Shake vs FOOD Source


    Quote Originally Posted by JudoJosh View Post
    Do you take fish oil? If so, stop

    Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S™II using Tapatalk 2
    No I can't take fish oils but some of my worst reflux bouts are from fish oils

    - Valdez

  5. Quote Originally Posted by Valdez View Post
    No I can't take fish oils but some of my worst reflux bouts are from fish oils

    - Valdez
    Take 1 Tbsp of apple cider vinegar 1-2x/day. You'll be fine in a week.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys


  6. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post

    Take 1 Tbsp of apple cider vinegar 1-2x/day. You'll be fine in a week.
    This. I had horrible acid reflux, took ACV for roughly a week and havent had it since. Although i regularly take ACV now for the plethora of benefits it offers.
    Psalms 62:1-62:2

  7. Sup Rodja

    You think there is ANY Difference betwen the caps and the real deal/liquid

    Also highly debated

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Take 1 Tbsp of apple cider vinegar 1-2x/day. You'll be fine in a week.
    A-Minds HYPE-SLAYER! All posts & feedback are guaranteed to be unsolicited and legit
    "The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge. Fools despise wisdom & instruction"
    Proverbs 1:7

  8. Quote Originally Posted by Whacked View Post
    Sup Rodja

    You think there is ANY Difference betwen the caps and the real deal/liquid

    Also highly debated
    I haven't personally tried the tabs of them to compare them against the liquid, but I generally defer to the form found within nature, which is obviously liquid.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

  9. Re: Protein Shake vs FOOD Source


    Plus I imagine liquid is less $$

    Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S™II using Tapatalk 2
    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates
  10. AnabolicMinds Site Rep
    Spaniard's Avatar

    Re: Protein Shake vs FOOD Source


    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Take 1 Tbsp of apple cider vinegar 1-2x/day. You'll be fine in a week.
    Tried it :/ works for EVERYONE but me... Sucks

    - Valdez

  11. Quote Originally Posted by Valdez View Post
    Tried it :/ works for EVERYONE but me... Sucks

    - Valdez
    Did you get the Mother in it?
    M.Ed. Ex Phys


  12. Quote Originally Posted by Valdez View Post

    Tried it :/ works for EVERYONE but me... Sucks

    - Valdez
    I use the pills, not that, that makes a difference lol

    1.2g daily for ya boy here
    Psalms 62:1-62:2
  13. Re: Protein Shake vs FOOD Source


    Possibly the culprit can be low stomach acidity. Betaine hcl is worth a try IMO

    Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S™II using Tapatalk 2
    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates

  14. ^^ damn this dood is on da ball
    betaine very intriguing, lowers homocysteine levels which of course if elevated contribute to a host of health risks (cardiovascular etc)
    betaine could help digestive issues - also plays a role in methionine cycle (which has intrigued me for long time)
    good call
  15. AnabolicMinds Site Rep
    Spaniard's Avatar

    Re: Protein Shake vs FOOD Source


    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Did you get the Mother in it?
    Mother? Are you giving me ****? I used bragg...

    - Valdez
  16. AnabolicMinds Site Rep
    Spaniard's Avatar

    Re: Protein Shake vs FOOD Source


    Oh lol yes the 'mother' is in it

    - Valdez

  17. Quote Originally Posted by snagencyV2.0 View Post
    i don't want to argue, and you are missing the point

    and none of this has anything to do with your above apparent understanding of WHY milk adds weight to you

    protein itself -- IN ANY FORM be it liquid powder or otherwise -- is the LEAST conducive macronutrient with which to gain WEIGHT
    by far, not even close
    Can you elaborate on this(maybe you have already and I have not read it yet)? If you have, I will get to it sometime, when I have a chance to read all these pages.

  18. Quote Originally Posted by blackjackcat View Post
    Can you elaborate on this(maybe you have already and I have not read it yet)? If you have, I will get to it sometime, when I have a chance to read all these pages.
    He's saying that the least likely pathway for protein is too add weight because of all the other roles in which protein has take precedent. Amino acids have a huge amount of varying roles including but not limited to transportation of molecules through the blood, form enzymes for digestive function and provide the building blocks for tissue repair. Because of the importance of its role, the body tries not to break it down for any purpose in which it is not needed.

    When protein needs are met, the body deaminates proteins (remving the amine group from the carboxyl group), and after conversion to urea, it is pee'd out as waste. The remainding Carbon group is then free to be used as energy (dependant on the amino acids) or stored.

    EDIT: its my interpreation of what Snag is saying

  19. Quote Originally Posted by Jiigzz View Post

    He's saying that the least likely pathway for protein is too add weight because of all the other roles in which protein has take precedent. Amino acids have a huge amount of varying roles including but not limited to transportation of molecules through the blood, form enzymes for digestive function and provide the building blocks for tissue repair. Because of the importance of its role, the body tries not to break it down for any purpose in which it is not needed.

    When protein needs are met, the body deaminates proteins (remving the amine group from the carboxyl group), and after conversion to urea, it is pee'd out as waste. The remainding Carbon group is then free to be used as energy (dependant on the amino acids) or stored.

    EDIT: its my interpreation of what Snag is saying
    Sophomore year biology coming back to haunt me
    Independent Review

  20. Quote Originally Posted by Jiigzz View Post
    He's saying that the least likely pathway for protein is too add weight because of all the other roles in which protein has take precedent. Amino acids have a huge amount of varying roles including but not limited to transportation of molecules through the blood, form enzymes for digestive function and provide the building blocks for tissue repair. Because of the importance of its role, the body tries not to break it down for any purpose in which it is not needed.

    When protein needs are met, the body deaminates proteins (remving the amine group from the carboxyl group), and after conversion to urea, it is pee'd out as waste. The remainding Carbon group is then free to be used as energy (dependant on the amino acids) or stored.

    EDIT: its my interpreation of what Snag is saying
    Ok, I am following you, that clears up what I was confused about. Thanks for the reply.

  21. Quote Originally Posted by blackjackcat View Post
    Ok, I am following you, that clears up what I was confused about. Thanks for the reply.
    well, jiigzz gets technical about it, but sure
    to put make it simple, the basic TEF formula (thermic effect of food)
    looking at it another way, is hardest for body to digest, so makes body work harder
    to view it in numerical value:
    protein - @30% of every protein cal burned in digestion
    carbs - @6-8% of every cal burned in digestion
    fats - @2-3% of every cal burned in digestion

    while protein will help in muscle tissue repair and growth surely - the great value in bb'ing circles should not be looked at as protein = "gaining weight" but rather (in combination with lowering of other macros) viewed as protein helps you lose weight (or aids in body comp)

    digestive energy expenditure is (in my opinion) a most overlooked aspect in this realm, by nutritionists and diet "gurus" alike

  22. This will make for some great reading this weekend I'm sure. 18 pages???! No problem
    Independent Review

  23. Quote Originally Posted by PalmFist View Post
    This will make for some great reading this weekend I'm sure. 18 pages???! No problem
    is only 14 on my screen?

  24. Quote Originally Posted by snagencyV2.0 View Post
    is only 14 on my screen?
    27 on mine.

  25. Quote Originally Posted by jimbuick View Post
    27 on mine.
    shyte!
    blame snags
    old thread-blower-upper from way back, that guy

    i just enjoy the topics

  26. Quote Originally Posted by snagencyV2.0 View Post

    shyte!
    blame snags
    old thread-blower-upper from way back, that guy

    i just enjoy the topics
    Lol I'm on mobile though so it doesn't really count.
  27. Re: Protein Shake vs FOOD Source


    Betaine hcl =/= betaine anhydrous
    betaine anhydrous = TMG ( Trimethylglycine)
    Betaine hcl = betaine hydrochloride

    Betaine hcl can be used for low stomach acid. Worth a shot to try for your reflux.

    Betaine anhydrous is great stuff too but not the same. See - Betaine As An Ergogenic Aid for more on TMG

    Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S™II using Tapatalk 2
    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates

  28. Quote Originally Posted by JudoJosh View Post
    Betaine hcl =/= betaine anhydrous
    betaine anhydrous = TMG ( Trimethylglycine)
    Betaine hcl = betaine hydrochloride

    Betaine hcl can be used for low stomach acid. Worth a shot to try for your reflux.

    Betaine anhydrous is great stuff too but not the same. See - Betaine As An Ergogenic Aid for more on TMG
    ahhhhh, true
    (love some clarification, and always good to question)
    is why i simply stated "betaine" in my shortened abbreviated post (was going to bed), and did not specify the form in any of my statements

    good catch!

    betaine in general is a very interesting beast, and has many different components/uses
  29. Re: Protein Shake vs FOOD Source


    Just wanted to clear it up because betaine hcl taken at the dosage that TMG is recommended at will not be fun for someone.

    Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S™II using Tapatalk 2
    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates

  30. lol, surely
  31. Re: Protein Shake vs FOOD Source


    I know from personal experience stuff tears your stomach up

    Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S™II using Tapatalk 2
    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates

  32. Quote Originally Posted by JudoJosh View Post
    I know from personal experience stuff tears your stomach up
    anecdotal experience shared, certainly has use

  33. Quote Originally Posted by JudoJosh View Post
    Betaine hcl =/= betaine anhydrous
    betaine anhydrous = TMG ( Trimethylglycine)
    Betaine hcl = betaine hydrochloride

    Betaine hcl can be used for low stomach acid. Worth a shot to try for your reflux.

    Betaine anhydrous is great stuff too but not the same. See - Betaine As An Ergogenic Aid for more on TMG

    Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S™II using Tapatalk 2
    I am glad you cleared that up lol.

    I was thinking "they are definitely not talking about the same thing".
    PES Representative
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://selectprotein.com
  34. Re: Protein Shake vs FOOD Source


    I should have saw that comment coming. Kinda walked right into that

    Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S™II using Tapatalk 2
    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates

  35. Quote Originally Posted by JudoJosh View Post
    I should have saw that comment coming. Kinda walked right into that
    lulz
    is easy to do, happens to me all the time..

    Quote Originally Posted by bdcc View Post
    I am glad you cleared that up lol.

    I was thinking "they are definitely not talking about the same thing".
    see? looky there

    different context, but same thing

    doesn't help engrish isn't my first language, some things get lost in the thought translation lol
    add a lill ADD to the mix..bad recipe is bad

  36. Quote Originally Posted by Jiigzz View Post
    He's saying that the least likely pathway for protein is too add weight because of all the other roles in which protein has take precedent. Amino acids have a huge amount of varying roles including but not limited to transportation of molecules through the blood, form enzymes for digestive function and provide the building blocks for tissue repair. Because of the importance of its role, the body tries not to break it down for any purpose in which it is not needed.

    When protein needs are met, the body deaminates proteins (remving the amine group from the carboxyl group), and after conversion to urea, it is pee'd out as waste. The remainding Carbon group is then free to be used as energy (dependant on the amino acids) or stored.

    EDIT: its my interpreation of what Snag is saying
    Almost! Almost all the amino acid substrate we have (mostly from daily protein turnover) is actually used for new body protein synthesis, 80% of which is skeletal muscle tissue. Protein breakdown is also actually the #1 source of new amino acids in the body, accounting for 400g of new amino acids a day (as opposed to the much lower number you get via diet).
    http://pescience.com/
    http://selectprotein.com/
    The above is my own opinion and does not reflect the opinion of PES

  37. Quote Originally Posted by snagencyV2.0 View Post
    well, jiigzz gets technical about it, but sure
    to put make it simple, the basic TEF formula (thermic effect of food)
    looking at it another way, is hardest for body to digest, so makes body work harder
    to view it in numerical value:
    protein - @30% of every protein cal burned in digestion
    carbs - @6-8% of every cal burned in digestion
    fats - @2-3% of every cal burned in digestion

    while protein will help in muscle tissue repair and growth surely - the great value in bb'ing circles should not be looked at as protein = "gaining weight" but rather (in combination with lowering of other macros) viewed as protein helps you lose weight (or aids in body comp)

    digestive energy expenditure is (in my opinion) a most overlooked aspect in this realm, by nutritionists and diet "gurus" alike

    Wow, good info, thanks.

  38. Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post
    Almost! Almost all the amino acid substrate we have (mostly from daily protein turnover) is actually used for new body protein synthesis, 80% of which is skeletal muscle tissue. Protein breakdown is also actually the #1 source of new amino acids in the body, accounting for 400g of new amino acids a day (as opposed to the much lower number you get via diet).
    Are you saying (this is my interpretation) that deamination does not occur? I'm not quite sure I follow, perhaps I should wait for clarification before I presume anything
  39. Re: Protein Shake vs FOOD Source


    Quote Originally Posted by Valdez View Post
    So due to this cluster **** of a thread I decided to do a little research involving dairy and allergies.

    I have for quite sometime now (8+ years) had GERD and apparently it could be from dairy consumption... Hmmm... I'm going to go a little deeper later but I may give no dairy a go and see what happens. it would be nice to not have to take a damn pill every morning thirty minutes before I eat.

    - Valdez
    Before the combo starts to drift I stumbled upon this

    http://www.altmedrev.com/publications/16/2/116.pdf

    Figured it may be useful to you.


    Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S™II using Tapatalk 2
    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates
  40. AnabolicMinds Site Rep
    Spaniard's Avatar

    Re: Protein Shake vs FOOD Source


    Quote Originally Posted by JudoJosh View Post
    Before the combo starts to drift I stumbled upon this

    http://www.altmedrev.com/publications/16/2/116.pdf

    Figured it may be useful to you.


    Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S™II using Tapatalk 2
    I started reading it during breakfast and will finish up on lunch. It looks to be of great use thanks bud.

    - Valdez
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. When is the best time or times to take drink a protein shake vs. food?
    By ScottyDoc in forum Finaflex-Redefine Nutrition
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-26-2012, 09:40 AM
  2. whole food vs. protein shakes
    By mooch2321 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 09-10-2009, 12:28 AM
  3. Protein Bars vs. Shakes
    By IvyLeaguePump in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-29-2008, 01:34 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-13-2007, 03:03 AM
Log in
Log in