Protein Shake vs FOOD Source

Page 3 of 10 First 12345 ... Last

  1. Quote Originally Posted by Jiigzz View Post

    Protein powder is useful for what it is designed for; giving protein.. Its not a meal replacement or substitute,its something extra to coincide with a diet.
    boom!
    Nutraceutical Innovations
    AMINDS15 - 15% code
    nutra-innovations.com


  2. Quote Originally Posted by liftandeat View Post
    Regardless of what the ads tell you, protein shakes do not offer any muscle building benefit, nor "secret muscle building ingredient", above and beyond what real food offers you. Yes, I have read the ads too with all sorts of speedy muscle building promises but I can assure you through experience that most of the ingredients advertised as miraculous have not been proven to work neither by science (even though most ads of this nature usually talk about research studies that usually do not exist) nor by actual results at the gym. These products however have been proven beyond the shadow of any scientific doubt to shrink the size of your wallet and bank account.

    So, all his point is, is that protein shakes-powder protein doesn't help you build muscle more than whole food based protein? Well, no sheet. No one here is claiming it does. You just went from arguing protein powder is bad for you, not as beneficial for you as whole foods, to finding some mindless bro science ramble as to why protein powder doesn't contain miracle muscle building qualities.
    •   
       

  3. Re: Protein Shake vs FOOD Source


    So the take away here is to sprinkle protein powder on my steak and captain crunch

    Got it!

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    PESCIENCE.COM

    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates

  4. Quote Originally Posted by criticalbench View Post
    Lmao.. you spill protein into urine after eating a large steak brah. So know steak must be deadly like powders if what your saying is correct.
    Sadly many doctors still tell you to stay away from red meat. It is depressing when you realize just how poor the guidance is from the authority figures that average people interface with on health topics.

  5. Whole food is *always* better.

    That being said, 2 scoops protein + 1.5cups of oats is a staple for me most mornings and sometimes evenings if i'm bulking.
    •   
       


  6. Quote Originally Posted by Lutztenways View Post

    Sadly many doctors still tell you to stay away from red meat. It is depressing when you realize just how poor the guidance is from the authority figures that average people interface with on health topics.
    Ive never had this issue; in fact quite the opposite. What you must remember is that doctors,as educated as they are, are still human and their own personal feelings into something may end up as being advice whether its based on science or not. In this case if they say avoid red meat then ask why, and counter it if you disagree and try understand their perspective.
    It happens in any industry, not just the medical
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
    X-gels: Arachidonic Acid made affordable

  7. Quote Originally Posted by Whacked View Post
    For anyone who thinks food sources are superior to protein shakes......

    Perhaps they are but my body didn't notice the difference at all.

    I got sick of cooking meat and I am not a fan of convenient, canned or processed meats etc

    So, for about 3 montsh now, I have been using a mixed veggie-protein-powder source (made of pea protein, hemp, brown rice etc) in place of 3 of my 4 meals' meat sources (which for me was white fish)

    I have been doing this for 3+ months and I have not noticed ANY difference in body comp, weight etc

    Just sharing

    Before anyone asks, I continued to eat the other macros alongside the veggie-based protein shake (nuts, vegetables, etc)
    I agree I never noticed a difference when I exerimented a year ago.

    Te only difference was my hunger. I was more hungry and missed the chew factor and feeling like I'm eating

  8. how did i miss this fun thread?

    i just gotsta get my pennies involved here lol

    Quote Originally Posted by liftandeat View Post
    All that liquid protein is bad for your kidneys.
    no
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiigzz View Post
    Sorry man but there is very little evidence to suggest that excessive protein intakes will harm kidney function, especially at intakes considered normal by the bodybuilding population.
    actually, in the healthy functioning individual, there is none

    Quote Originally Posted by Jiigzz View Post
    I should have added that excess protein may only harm your kidneys if you have a pre-existing condition.
    glad you semi-cleaned that up

    Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post
    1. Protein powder has an equivalent thermic effect to whole food, since the thermic effect is 99% chemical.
    2. Correct, no muscle-building benefit from one whole protein source over another in the context of a high protein diet.
    but the chew factor bro, the chew factor
    you are missing out on bodycomp friendly cal-burning in cuts by not chewing, which burns more calories than does swallowing a liquid!


    Quote Originally Posted by liftandeat View Post
    Bottom line is if you drink more than 2 protein shakes a day your over doing it.
    bottom line:
    still no


    all that said - i will say it is my preference to have real food
    i kinda enjoy that
    at the same time, 3 steaks + 3 shakes a day will get a mug swole

  9. Nice input Snags
    Independent Review

  10. I'm surprised that no one has pointed out, that chewing your food releases digestive enzymes, which help digest and absorb your food.

  11. Quote Originally Posted by aaronagis View Post
    I'm surprised that no one has pointed out, that chewing your food releases digestive enzymes, which help digest and absorb your food.
    Chew bubblegum
    Use code "fl3x10" to get a free shirt with your purchase at Mind and Muscle

  12. Quote Originally Posted by aaronagis View Post
    I'm surprised that no one has pointed out, that chewing your food releases digestive enzymes, which help digest and absorb your food.
    Digestive enzymes will be released once the protein shakes hits your stomach anyway. You miss out on salivary amylase, which is essentially only there to clean up leftover starches in the mouth (hence why chewing sugar-free gum is considered good for your teeth, as it promotes such release).

  13. Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post
    Digestive enzymes will be released once the protein shakes hits your stomach anyway. You miss out on salivary amylase, which is essentially only there to clean up leftover starches in the mouth (hence why chewing sugar-free gum is considered good for your teeth, as it promotes such release).
    The digestive enzymes produced by the pancreas are critical to proper digestion, especially for foods that contain protein. Through the stimulation of the vagus nerve, chewing can provoke the pancreas to release itís digestive enzymes. As such, thorough chewing will likely lead to an increase in digestive enzyme production and result in more complete digestion.

    Unfortunately, chewing on gum can also stimulate the pancreas, but because thereís no food to digest, this results in a release of digestive enzymes that arenít needed. If this happens on a regular basis, it could wear down the pancreas, result in a decline of digestive enzymes, and lead to chronically compromised digestion and health.

  14. Quote Originally Posted by aaronagis View Post
    The digestive enzymes produced by the pancreas are critical to proper digestion, especially for foods that contain protein. Through the stimulation of the vagus nerve, chewing can provoke the pancreas to release it’s digestive enzymes. As such, thorough chewing will likely lead to an increase in digestive enzyme production and result in more complete digestion.

    Unfortunately, chewing on gum can also stimulate the pancreas, but because there’s no food to digest, this results in a release of digestive enzymes that aren’t needed. If this happens on a regular basis, it could wear down the pancreas, result in a decline of digestive enzymes, and lead to chronically compromised digestion and health.
    I am well aware of how duodenal digestion is mediated (my post was about salivary amylase), and release can occur at numerous stages (smelling food, tasting food [<- note that chewing is not required!], and pepsin release).

    I find it hard to believe that one would deplete digestive enzymes via gum-chewing, but if you have a source for that claim, I'd be happy to read it.

  15. Quote Originally Posted by aaronagis View Post
    Unfortunately, chewing on gum can also stimulate the pancreas, but because there’s no food to digest, this results in a release of digestive enzymes that aren’t needed. If this happens on a regular basis, it could wear down the pancreas, result in a decline of digestive enzymes, and lead to chronically compromised digestion and health.
    so all those hundreds of thousands of smokers who quit by taking up gum-chewing ...
    are yet still compromising their health
    huh
    damned if you and damned if you don't


    i think not

  16. Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post
    I am well aware of how duodenal digestion is mediated (my post was about salivary amylase), and release can occur at numerous stages (smelling food, tasting food [<- note that chewing is not required!], and pepsin release).

    I find it hard to believe that one would deplete digestive enzymes via gum-chewing, but if you have a source for that claim, I'd be happy to read it.
    i find it hard to believe that anyone would partake in an intellectual battle with mr cooper

  17. Quote Originally Posted by bmftisftw View Post

    i find it hard to believe that anyone would partake in an intellectual battle with mr cooper
    He's new here.

  18. Quote Originally Posted by jimbuick View Post
    He's new here.
    or trollin

  19. Quote Originally Posted by bmftisftw View Post
    i find it hard to believe that anyone would partake in an intellectual battle with mr cooper
    while i respect the compliment paid to cy, this is double-edges sword my friend
    great source of info is he..
    always remember however, it is never a good practice, to never question a source of information
    no disrespect meant whatsoever (to either him or you), but what you infer here is actually quite a scary proposition

    if you never question what you are told, you will never have true growth
    in fact, may be quite misinformed on some things, at the end of the day

    always question your sources
    always

  20. Quote Originally Posted by snagencyV2.0 View Post
    while i respect the compliment paid to cy, this is double-edges sword my friend
    great source of info is he..
    always remember however, it is never a good practice, to never question a source of information
    no disrespect meant whatsoever (to either him or you), but what you infer here is actually quite a scary proposition

    if you never question what you are told, you will never have true growth
    in fact, may be quite misinformed on some things, at the end of the day

    always question your sources
    always
    i did not mean to be so definitive

  21. Quote Originally Posted by bmftisftw View Post
    i did not mean to be so definitive
    i know this
    however, i am being very definitive
    nobody knows everything my friend

  22. Quote Originally Posted by snagencyV2.0 View Post
    i know this
    however, i am being very definitive
    nobody knows everything my friend
    I know everything.



    Name:  here-to-troll-yoda-is.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  24.8 KB

  23. Quote Originally Posted by snagencyV2.0 View Post
    i know this
    however, i am being very definitive
    nobody knows everything my friend
    i know this!

    so does jim (yoda)

  24. jim does post nice pictures..

  25. Guys, I never said that chewing gum would deplete your digestive enzymes, you came up with that. What I said was that it can lead to a decline in enzymes. Now, the only reason for that is the topic of the thread and someone's comment suggesting to chew gum and live off of shakes... One study shows a %5 decline in enzymes after only 1 day of gum chewing. That's just one day, not living of shakes for months and chewing gum to aid digestion. That's all.

    stewartk.wetpaint.com /page/Research+Paper

  26. Quote Originally Posted by aaronagis View Post

    The digestive enzymes produced by the pancreas are critical to proper digestion, especially for foods that contain protein. Through the stimulation of the vagus nerve, chewing can provoke the pancreas to release itís digestive enzymes. As such, thorough chewing will likely lead to an increase in digestive enzyme production and result in more complete digestion.

    Unfortunately, chewing on gum can also stimulate the pancreas, but because thereís no food to digest, this results in a release of digestive enzymes that arenít needed. If this happens on a regular basis, it could wear down the pancreas, result in a decline of digestive enzymes, and lead to chronically compromised digestion and health.
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronagis View Post
    Guys, I never said that chewing gum would deplete your digestive enzymes, you came up with that.
    See bold.
  27. Re: Protein Shake vs FOOD Source


    Quote Originally Posted by bmftisftw View Post
    i find it hard to believe that anyone would partake in an intellectual battle with mr cooper
    I disagree and question coop just for fun sometimes.

    Watch this.. arginine is an awesome ergogenic!

    Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S™II&#160;using Tapatalk 2
    PESCIENCE.COM

    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates

  28. Quote Originally Posted by JudoJosh View Post
    I disagree and question coop just for fun sometimes.

    Watch this.. arginine is an awesome ergogenic!

    Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SôII*using Tapatalk 2
    *Breaks laptop*
  29. Re: Protein Shake vs FOOD Source


    See its fun!

    Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S™II using Tapatalk 2
    PESCIENCE.COM

    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates

  30. Quote Originally Posted by JudoJosh View Post

    I disagree and question coop just for fun sometimes.

    Watch this.. arginine is an awesome ergogenic!

    Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S(TM)II*using Tapatalk 2
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post

    *Breaks laptop*
    Quote Originally Posted by JudoJosh View Post
    See its fun!

    Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S(TM)II using Tapatalk 2
    This made me lol.

    My wife is laying in bed looking at me funny right now.
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. When is the best time or times to take drink a protein shake vs. food?
    By ScottyDoc in forum Finaflex-Redefine Nutrition
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-26-2012, 09:40 AM
  2. whole food vs. protein shakes
    By mooch2321 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 09-10-2009, 12:28 AM
  3. Protein Bars vs. Shakes
    By IvyLeaguePump in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-29-2008, 01:34 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-13-2007, 03:03 AM
Log in
Log in