Protein Shake vs FOOD Source

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
For anyone who thinks food sources are superior to protein shakes......

Perhaps they are but my body didn't notice the difference at all.

I got sick of cooking meat and I am not a fan of convenient, canned or processed meats etc

So, for about 3 montsh now, I have been using a mixed veggie-protein-powder source (made of pea protein, hemp, brown rice etc) in place of 3 of my 4 meals' meat sources (which for me was white fish)

I have been doing this for 3+ months and I have not noticed ANY difference in body comp, weight etc

Just sharing

Before anyone asks, I continued to eat the other macros alongside the veggie-based protein shake (nuts, vegetables, etc)

Dewey99

Dewey99

Awards
You can get by on shakes for sure. Whole food is usually cheaper and more interesting than plain shakes. A big difference for me is the satiety that I get from whole food as opposed to shakes. If I eat 40 grams of chicken I am full for much longer than I am from 40 grams of protein shake. Either way, people should do whatever works best for them. There is no one right answer for everybody.

abformulations

abformulations

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I do the same thing. Actually for years now. On weekdays my main meal is dinner which is solid food. But most of day I add lots of foods in a blender. No complaints or difference from always eating solid food.

Btw how u blend brown rice? Lol

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
While you may not have any whole food sources; meat is a high source of Iron and b12, something which vegetarian based diets are often low in. While body comp and weight have not been affected (although this is in part due to overall calorie intake as opposed to the function of protein in of itself) it doesn't mean that certain micronutrient levels will not drop over time. Iron plays a HUGE role in the proper functioning of the cardiorespiratory system.

And non-haem iron (from plants) is not as well absorbed as haem iron from animal origin. For this reasons, I would not recommend swapping meat for protein shakes.

liftandeat

liftandeat

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Gotta be careful with protein shakes. You prolly have protein in your urine and don't even know it. All that liquid protein is bad for your kidneys. I try to only drink protein shakes after workouts or before bed. I say this because I've had this problem before. Nothing beats real food

abformulations

abformulations

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
While you may not have any whole food sources; meat is a high source of Iron and b12, something which vegetarian based diets are often low in. While body comp and weight have not been affected (although this is in part due to overall calorie intake as opposed to the function of protein in of itself) it doesn't mean that certain micronutrient levels will not drop over time. Iron plays a HUGE role in the proper functioning of the cardiorespiratory system.

And non-haem iron (from plants) is not as well absorbed as haem iron from animal origin. For this reasons, I would not recommend swapping meat for protein shakes.
Good info. I never swap shakes for meat. Meat is always in my diet.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Gotta be careful with protein shakes. You prolly have protein in your urine and don't even know it. All that liquid protein is bad for your kidneys. I try to only drink protein shakes after workouts or before bed. I say this because I've had this problem before. Nothing beats real food
You got any evidence or studies to back this up? Post workout and before bed aren't some special protein times either.

I appreciate the feedback and know Whacked keeps things pretty real. The only issue I would have with it is making sure you get proper amounts of vitamins and minerals throughout the diet regardless of if your protein intake is from "shakes" or "real" food. Based on how regimented you are I assume these issues are accounted for. :thumbsup:

liftandeat

liftandeat

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You got any evidence or studies to back this up? Post workout and before bed aren't some special protein times either.

I appreciate the feedback and know Whacked keeps things pretty real. The only issue I would have with it is making sure you get proper amounts of vitamins and minerals throughout the diet regardless of if your protein intake is from "shakes" or "real" food. Based on how regimented you are I assume these issues are accounted for. :thumbsup:
Post workout is when protein is the most important. Before bed casein shake isn't a necessity but its good to have one. Real food is always better than synthesized protein it's common sense. The only reason for whey protein powder is for post workout. Because it absorbs much quicker than real food. Which makes it perfect for your post workout because after your workout you have a 15 min anabolic window so you want to absorb as much protein as possible at that time. Otherwise if you drink shakes for most of your protein intake your just hurting your kidneys and peeing out most of the protein. Which is why REAL FOOD IS ALWAYS BETTER. Just google it.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Post workout is when protein is the most important. Before bed casein shake isn't a necessity but its good to have one. Real food is always better than synthesized protein it's common sense. The only reason for whey protein powder is for post workout. Because it absorbs much quicker than real food. Which makes it perfect for your post workout because after your workout you have a 15 min anabolic window so you want to absorb as much protein as possible at that time. Otherwise if you drink shakes for most of your protein intake your just hurting your kidneys and peeing out most of the protein. Which is why REAL FOOD IS ALWAYS BETTER. Just google it.
Ok I would just suggest more in depth research on the "post workout" window or whatever you want to call it. I don't wish to argue either about "real".

Sorry Whacked. :eek:

liftandeat

liftandeat

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Ok I would just suggest more in depth research on the "post workout" window or whatever you want to call it. I don't wish to argue either about "real".

Sorry Whacked. :eek:
Gotta eat to get big. Not drink. But protein shakes are useful for supplementation but don't think you can get away with making protein powder your main source for protein. You'll mess up your kidneys. I say this because I have been through this my doctor found protein in my urine and said if I kept drinking shakes for protein I could permanently mess up my kidneys. I used to drink 3-4 a day. Maybe even more.
I'm just putting in my 2 cents. Take it or leave it.

Lutztenways

Lutztenways

Awards
Ahahaha oh man. What is this?

Is bread real food? If you answered yes then you should see protein powder as real food too.

Taking a component of a grain, grinding it into dust and then mixing with this or that = taking a component of milk and turning it into dust and mixing with this or that.

That being said...I do totally support whole food protein in meal fashion at all times. And I've done an n=1 experiment of my own which mirrored that of Whacked. I had positive results for what it's worth.

Most importantly, I wish you'd stop weakening my position by spewing antiquated broscience about kidneys and anabolic windows.

liftandeat

liftandeat

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Ahahaha oh man. What is this?

Is bread real food? If you answered yes then you should see protein powder as real food too.

Taking a component of a grain, grinding it into dust and then mixing with this or that = taking a component of milk and turning it into dust and mixing with this or that.

That being said...I do totally support whole food protein in meal fashion at all times. And I've done an n=1 experiment of my own which mirrored that of Whacked. I had positive results for what it's worth.

Most importantly, I wish you'd stop weakening my position by spewing antiquated broscience about kidneys and anabolic windows.
Alright I'm just trying to help out guys. My doctor who explained to me why to much liquid protein is bad for you especially your kidneys didn't major in "bro science". Just for your information.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
i believe in one of layne norton's video blogs he says the only evidence that protein harms the kidneys is when the kidneys are already damaged or when you naturally don't have normal kidney function

i wish i could listen to it now, i believe he said something along the lines of protein being beneficial to rebuilding a part of the kidney or something, can't totally remember at this point

uvawahoowa

Awards
Alright I'm just trying to help out guys. My doctor who explained to me why to much liquid protein is bad for you especially your kidneys didn't major in "bro science". Just for your information.
Most doctors aren't educated on nutrition, so they will spout ridiculous nonsense like that

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Really didn't mean to start this derail. Shoulda just kept my fingers locked up. :rant:

Dewey99

Dewey99

Awards
Really didn't mean to start this derail. Shoulda just kept my fingers locked up. :rant:
It's all good discussion. For every person that posts about something like this, there are hundreds of lurkers that believe the same things and might learn a thing or two.

abformulations

abformulations

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Gotta eat to get big. Not drink. But protein shakes are useful for supplementation but don't think you can get away with making protein powder your main source for protein. You'll mess up your kidneys. I say this because I have been through this my doctor found protein in my urine and said if I kept drinking shakes for protein I could permanently mess up my kidneys. I used to drink 3-4 a day. Maybe even more.
I'm just putting in my 2 cents. Take it or leave it.
When u mention protein shakes can u be a bit specific on what they were? How many scoops per shake and for the day?

liftandeat

liftandeat

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
When u mention protein shakes can u be a bit specific on what they were? How many scoops per shake and for the day?
Protein shakes like muscle milk or optimum whey or any of those overly hyped powders. 1 scoop with 25 grams of protein. Or 2 with 50 grams. I usually mix it with milk.

liftandeat

liftandeat

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yes nice sources ! I know protein isn't bad for your kidneys. I'm saying to much liquid protein(synthesized protein) is bad for your kidneys. Which is why you pee it out

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Protein shakes like muscle milk or optimum whey or any of those overly hyped powders. 1 scoop with 25 grams of protein. Or 2 with 50 grams. I usually mix it with milk.
Sorry man but there is very little evidence to suggest that excessive protein intakes will harm kidney function, especially at intakes considered normal by the bodybuilding population.

Regardless of whether or not the protein is ingested in either a liquid form or solid form is of no concern, merely blending something will not affect or breakdown the protein before ingestion, thus the protein molecule will remain a protein molecule. Meaning that blending shouldnt affect proteins at a molecular level.

My only concern with OP's approach is the possibility for micronutrient deficiencies which may occur when eliminating whole food groups from a diet. Haem Iron and b12 being of most concern. Then perhaps a lack of saturated fats if there is no other source in the diet.

As i mentioned before, body compostion isnt really the role of a protein so gauging a diets effecacy on this aspect alone is a little worrying. An iron test would be a a better indicator in this case.

abformulations

abformulations

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Ik protein shakes. Lol. You got a liver damage from just two scoops? Can't be.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
The irony here is:

1. Doctors actually do learn about how protein intake can alter kidney function/values (in fact, we're learning it right now!)
2. This situation is evidence against point #1 :D

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
If your doctor is actually saying that dietary protein intake in the form of 25g is causing proteinuria, he's an idiot. It's possible that your training intensity may have been too high though, along with overall daily protein intake.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
I should have added that excess protein may only harm your kidneys if you have a pre-existing condition.

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
5 out of my 6 meals are shakes but i do.add cottage cheese.. peanut butter.. oatmeal.. etc to them. My stomach condition really doesnt allow me to eat that much whole food. I grow like a weed.. 160g protein at most a day for me. Trace protein in my urine.. normal.

BUN 16
CREATININE 1.05

My values after years of this do not reflect what you are saying. I must be special!

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I would love to see my nephrologist school your doc in this. Gram for gram.. when dealing with powders vs food.. i guess your kidneys are able to tell if this is powder protein or food. Seriously bro.. come on.

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yes nice sources ! I know protein isn't bad for your kidneys. I'm saying to much liquid protein(synthesized protein) is bad for your kidneys. Which is why you pee it out
Lmao.. you spill protein into urine after eating a large steak brah. So know steak must be deadly like powders if what your saying is correct.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
ehhhh. this advice is sub par at best, too many flaws to point out.

Riskyb

Awards
There's no comparison eating eggs/meat/etc triumph over protein shakes. Sure you feel fuller longer, and I believe protein shakes have their purpose, especially post workout and possibly in between meals. But there's no comparison IMO

liftandeat

liftandeat

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
There's no comparison eating eggs/meat/etc triumph over protein shakes. Sure you feel fuller longer, and I believe protein shakes have their purpose, especially post workout and possibly in between meals. But there's no comparison IMO
Finally someone agrees with me. There is no comparison. Real food>protein powder.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Maybe I just feel like playing devil's advocate but other than some of the points made so far what is it that really makes the "real" food better? Is real the new buzz word like clean used to be? Most protein powder sources are highly bio-available anyways..

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Maybe I just feel like playing devil's advocate but other than some of the points made so far what is it that really makes the "real" food better? Is real the new buzz word like clean used to be? Most protein powder sources are highly bio-available anyways..
You are correct. Nothing makes real food better outside of satiety. However, variety is key. Overdoing, say, chicken breast, leaves your amino acid pool quite skewed towards certain AAs. The same applies to relying heavily on whey protein. The real point is don't overdo any one source (protein or whole food), as you may be short changing yourself.

liftandeat

liftandeat

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I wanna post a URL but its not letting me. This is a little bit of the article

Answer: Real food is by far the most important component of a bodybuilding diet. There are so many nutrients that real food contains, many of which have not even been discovered yet, that you would be doing yourself a disservice by limiting the amount of real food that you are eating.

In addition, real food has what is called a "thermic effect". A "thermic effect" is the impact that real food has in your metabolism. Because real food requires digestion, your body burns more calories in processing it; as opposed to shakes which are already pre-digested.

Regardless of what the ads tell you, protein shakes do not offer any muscle building benefit, nor "secret muscle building ingredient", above and beyond what real food offers you. Yes, I have read the ads too with all sorts of speedy muscle building promises but I can assure you through experience that most of the ingredients advertised as miraculous have not been proven to work neither by science (even though most ads of this nature usually talk about research studies that usually do not exist) nor by actual results at the gym. These products however have been proven beyond the shadow of any scientific doubt to shrink the size of your wallet and bank account.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
I wanna post a URL but its not letting me. This is a little bit of the article

Answer: Real food is by far the most important component of a bodybuilding diet. There are so many nutrients that real food contains, many of which have not even been discovered yet, that you would be doing yourself a disservice by limiting the amount of real food that you are eating.

In addition, real food has what is called a "thermic effect". A "thermic effect" is the impact that real food has in your metabolism. Because real food requires digestion, your body burns more calories in processing it; as opposed to shakes which are already pre-digested.

Regardless of what the ads tell you, protein shakes do not offer any muscle building benefit, nor "secret muscle building ingredient", above and beyond what real food offers you. Yes, I have read the ads too with all sorts of speedy muscle building promises but I can assure you through experience that most of the ingredients advertised as miraculous have not been proven to work neither by science (even though most ads of this nature usually talk about research studies that usually do not exist) nor by actual results at the gym. These products however have been proven beyond the shadow of any scientific doubt to shrink the size of your wallet and bank account.
Ok

1. Protein powder has an equivalent thermic effect to whole food, since the thermic effect is 99% chemical.
2. Correct, no muscle-building benefit from one whole protein source over another in the context of a high protein diet.

liftandeat

liftandeat

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Ok

1. Protein powder has an equivalent thermic effect to whole food, since the thermic effect is 99% chemical.
2. Correct, no muscle-building benefit from one whole protein source over another in the context of a high protein diet.
Alright I've voiced my opinion enough. To many people against me thinking protein powder is as good as real food so I'm done. Its common sence real food>protein powder. Not trying to start a fight but damn I can't believe some people think they can get by using powder as a permanent substitute for real food. Just do a little research guys.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Alright I've voiced my opinion enough. To many people against me thinking protein powder is as good as real food so I'm done. Its common sence real food>protein powder. Not trying to start a fight but damn I can't believe some people think they can get by using powder as a permanent substitute for real food. Just do a little research guys.
Who is saying to use protein powder as a permnant substitute for real food? I just re-read every post in this thread. Either you can't read or you can't comprehend the phrase "all things in moderation."

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Strong reading comprehension.

liftandeat

liftandeat

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Haha I'm cornered. Ok guys you win. Gang up on the new guy. Bottom line is if you drink more than 2 protein shakes a day your over doing it.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Haha I'm cornered. Ok guys you win. Gang up on the new guy. Bottom line is if you drink more than 2 protein shakes a day your over doing it.
You should write for Flex magazine. They love opinions with no scientific backing.

liftandeat

liftandeat

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You should write for Flex magazine. They love opinions with no scientific backing.
This is a forum. A forum is
A meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.
The above are my ideas and views. Just trying to share my knowledge.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
A meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.
And when your knowledge is shown to be incorrect by people with much more knowledge than you, you continue to pour out incorrect information without even considering the information presented to you.

If you aren't here to learn why even sign in?

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Your "knowledge" is just repeating what everyone else here said (not to rely solely on protein shakes) and then insisting that we are all whey protein addicts and that we shouldn't be replacing food with shakes.

Has anyone here disagreed with that point? No. Are you exhibiting symptoms of pre-clinical psychosis, i.e. thinking the world is against you and imagining that people are arguing with you when they are in fact in agreement with you? Yes.

liftandeat

liftandeat

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
And when your knowledge is shown to be incorrect by people with much more knowledge than you, you continue to pour out incorrect information without even considering the information presented to you.

If you aren't here to learn why even sign in?
Haha oh my god man the title of this thread is protein shakes vs food source. Food always wins. What did they do back when they didn't have protein powder. Show me some scientific evidence that powder is as good as food. C'mon I've been trying to prove my point try to prove yours. Educate me bro.