Protein Shake vs FOOD Source

Page 10 of 12 First ... 89101112 Last
  1. Re: Protein Shake vs FOOD Source


    Quote Originally Posted by Jiigzz View Post
    Nice posts JJ. It's important to note that lactase generally declines with age because (like snag pointed out earlier) most mammels only need it when young (i.e. breast milk) and the evolutionary need for lactase decreases as overall consumption of lactose decreases. That being said, it must be possible to offset this if milk consumption is kept high throughout life; I tend to drink around 1.6 litres of milk a day purely out of enjoyment.

    Oh, and I love it for the calcium.

    Edit: Nevermind, already pointed out what I said.
    If I remember correctly gene expression for the ezymes required to break down lactose (lactase) starts to down regulate at around age 6 or so.

    Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S™II using Tapatalk 2
    PESCIENCE.COM

    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates


  2. Quote Originally Posted by JudoJosh View Post

    If I remember correctly gene expression for the ezymes required to break down lactose (lactase) starts to down regulate at around age 6 or so.

    Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S(TM)II using Tapatalk 2
    Life is math and science. I pay attention to you're posts in the science discussion section Judo; you're a smart dude

    In my opinion, Scott Conley's Physique 2.0 is the best protein I've ever taken ( Ultra Peptide 2.0 is good too). Physique 2.0 specifically contains whole milk but its lactose free. The profile of the product is phenomenal (in my opinion). Ever used it? Thoughts on the product?
    •   
       

  3. Re: Protein Shake vs FOOD Source


    I appreciate that but really I'm not smart, just am curious and believe in healthy skepticism.

    That protein sounds interesting but also sounds like the price is gonna be a turn off for me

    Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S™II using Tapatalk 2
    PESCIENCE.COM

    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates

  4. Quote Originally Posted by JudoJosh View Post
    I appreciate that but really I'm not smart, just am curious and believe in healthy skepticism.

    That protein sounds interesting but also sounds like the price is gonna be a turn off for me

    Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S(TM)II using Tapatalk 2
    Indeed, JJ is a big dumb dummy.

    Dude doesn't even lift either.

  5. Quote Originally Posted by JudoJosh View Post
    I appreciate that but really I'm not smart, just am curious and believe in healthy skepticism.

    That protein sounds interesting but also sounds like the price is gonna be a turn off for me

    Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S(TM)II using Tapatalk 2
    Understood....
    •   
       


  6. healthy skepticism always a good thing, surely

    okay, next topic..let's open up the debate on gluten..

    muahuahahahahahaaaaa

    i keed (kinda), just having fun
  7. Re: Protein Shake vs FOOD Source


    Quote Originally Posted by jimbuick View Post
    Indeed, JJ is a big dumb dummy.

    Dude doesn't even lift either.
    Do you even lift bro!?! - Do you even lift?

    Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S™II using Tapatalk 2
    PESCIENCE.COM

    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates
  8. Re: Protein Shake vs FOOD Source


    Quote Originally Posted by snagencyV2.0 View Post
    healthy skepticism always a good thing, surely

    okay, next topic..let's open up the debate on gluten..

    muahuahahahahahaaaaa

    i keed (kinda), just having fun
    Do you avoid gluten as well?

    Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S™II using Tapatalk 2
    PESCIENCE.COM

    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates

  9. Quote Originally Posted by JudoJosh View Post

    Do you even lift bro!?! - Do you even lift?

    Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S(TM)II using Tapatalk 2
    Hilarious video.

  10. Quote Originally Posted by JudoJosh View Post
    Do you avoid gluten as well?
    mmm i wouldn't say i avoid it no, but i surely am cautious of it and limit my intake
    some issues involved, when you totally eliminate gluten from diet, no?
    (beyond the fact that damn near everything has gluten in it so would be very boring diet indeed)

    my diet, in general tho, is structured majority with foods that do not contain gluten (not specifically for that intention, just because i eat a lot of meats/fruits/veggies all the time), and i do know of ppl with gluten allergies of course (my son for one)

  11. Quote Originally Posted by snagencyV2.0 View Post
    mmm i wouldn't say i avoid it no, but i surely am cautious of it and limit my intake
    some issues involved, when you totally eliminate gluten from diet, no?
    (beyond the fact that damn near everything has gluten in it so would be very boring diet indeed)

    my diet, in general tho, is structured majority with foods that do not contain gluten (not specifically for that intention, just because i eat a lot of meats/fruits/veggies all the time), and i do know of ppl with gluten allergies of course (my son for one)
    Heres a study that is in favour of a gluten-free approach (ZiR originally posted it here); the link was sent to me by a lecturer whom I was having a debate with him about GF diets. Was an interesting outcome.

    J Nutr Biochem. 2012 Dec 17. pii: S0955-2863(12)00226-4. doi: 10.1016/j.jnutbio.2012.08.009. [Epub ahead of print]
    Gluten-free diet reduces adiposity, inflammation and insulin resistance associated with the induction of PPAR-alpha and PPAR-gamma expression.
    Soares FL, de Oliveira Matoso R, Teixeira LG, Menezes Z, Pereira SS, Alves AC, Batista NV, de Faria AM, Cara DC, Ferreira AV, Alvarez-Leite JI.
    Source

    Departamento de Alimentos, Faculdade de Farmácia, Instituto de Ciências Biológicas, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais, Belo Horizonte, MG, Brazil; Departamento de Bioquímica e Imunologia, Instituto de Ciências Biológicas, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais, Belo Horizonte, MG, Brazil. Electronic address: [email protected].
    Abstract

    Gluten exclusion (protein complex present in many cereals) has been proposed as an option for the prevention of diseases other than coeliac disease. However, the effects of gluten-free diets on obesity and its mechanisms of action have not been studied. Thus, our objective was to assess whether gluten exclusion can prevent adipose tissue expansion and its consequences. C57BL/6 mice were fed a high-fat diet containing 4.5% gluten (Control) or no gluten (GF). Body weight and adiposity gains, leukocyte rolling and adhesion, macrophage infiltration and cytokine production in adipose tissue were assessed. Blood lipid profiles, glycaemia, insulin resistance and adipokines were measured. Expression of the PPAR-α and γ, lipoprotein lipase (LPL), hormone sensitive lipase (HSL), carnitine palmitoyl acyltransferase-1 (CPT-1), insulin receptor, GLUT-4 and adipokines were assessed in epidydimal fat. Gluten-free animals showed a reduction in body weight gain and adiposity, without changes in food intake or lipid excretion. These results were associated with up-regulation of PPAR-α, LPL, HSL and CPT-1, which are related to lipolysis and fatty acid oxidation. There was an improvement in glucose homeostasis and pro-inflammatory profile-related overexpression of PPAR-γ. Moreover, intravital microscopy showed a lower number of adhered cells in the adipose tissue microvasculature. The overexpression of PPAR-γ is related to the increase of adiponectin and GLUT-4. Our data support the beneficial effects of gluten-free diets in reducing adiposity gain, inflammation and insulin resistance. The data suggests that diet gluten exclusion should be tested as a new dietary approach to prevent the development of obesity and metabolic disorders.

    PMID: 23253599
  12. Re: Protein Shake vs FOOD Source


    Quote Originally Posted by snagencyV2.0 View Post
    nvolved, when you totally eliminate gluten from diet, no?
    Not that I know of

    Quote Originally Posted by snagencyV2.0 View Post
    (beyond the fact that damn near everything has gluten in it so would be very boring diet indeed)
    Mostly everything processed does. Avoid processed food and you will generally end up avoiding gluten

    Quote Originally Posted by snagencyV2.0 View Post
    my diet, in general tho, is structured majority with foods that do not contain gluten (not specifically for that intention, just because i eat a lot of meats/fruits/veggies all the time), and i do know of ppl with gluten allergies of course (my son for one)
    Sounds like a pretty damn good diet.


    Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S™II using Tapatalk 2
    PESCIENCE.COM

    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates

  13. Quote Originally Posted by Jiigzz View Post
    Heres a study that is in favour of a gluten-free approach (ZiR originally posted it here); the link was sent to me by a lecturer whom I was having a debate with him about GF diets. Was an interesting outcome.
    oh good stuff man
    that actually confirms what i have felt for awhile, but is good to see some documentation as i have not delved into it too far really, just in regards to my son and getting him healthy again..the inflammation factor of course intriques me
    very cool stuff on compositional/insulin factors yeahh buddy
    i like it!

    Quote Originally Posted by JudoJosh View Post
    Sounds like a pretty damn good diet.
    refined thru the yrs, pretty consistent in what i do
    i enjoy it!
  14. Re: Protein Shake vs FOOD Source


    So due to this cluster **** of a thread I decided to do a little research involving dairy and allergies.

    I have for quite sometime now (8+ years) had GERD and apparently it could be from dairy consumption... Hmmm... I'm going to go a little deeper later but I may give no dairy a go and see what happens. it would be nice to not have to take a damn pill every morning thirty minutes before I eat.

    - Valdez
    The Physique Biochemist
    Biochemistry Major
    Your Physique AND Credentials Should Back Up Your Position

  15. Quote Originally Posted by Valdez
    So due to this cluster **** of a thread I decided to do a little research involving dairy and allergies.

    I have for quite sometime now (8+ years) had GERD and apparently it could be from dairy consumption... Hmmm... I'm going to go a little deeper later but I may give no dairy a go and see what happens. it would be nice to not have to take a damn pill every morning thirty minutes before I eat.

    - Valdez
    So this thread may have improved your quality of life?? Big win!
    PEScience Representative
    http://pescience.com/insider http://facebook.com/pescience
  16. Re: Protein Shake vs FOOD Source


    Quote Originally Posted by LiveToLift View Post
    So this thread may have improved your quality of life?? Big win!
    We shall see, I'm still skeptical

    - Valdez
    The Physique Biochemist
    Biochemistry Major
    Your Physique AND Credentials Should Back Up Your Position
  17. Re: Protein Shake vs FOOD Source


    Quote Originally Posted by Valdez View Post
    So due to this cluster **** of a thread I decided to do a little research involving dairy and allergies.

    I have for quite sometime now (8+ years) had GERD and apparently it could be from dairy consumption... Hmmm... I'm going to go a little deeper later but I may give no dairy a go and see what happens. it would be nice to not have to take a damn pill every morning thirty minutes before I eat.

    - Valdez
    Do you take fish oil? If so, stop

    Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S™II using Tapatalk 2
    PESCIENCE.COM

    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates

  18. Quote Originally Posted by Valdez View Post
    So due to this cluster **** of a thread I decided to do a little research involving dairy and allergies.

    I have for quite sometime now (8+ years) had GERD and apparently it could be from dairy consumption... Hmmm... I'm going to go a little deeper later but I may give no dairy a go and see what happens. it would be nice to not have to take a damn pill every morning thirty minutes before I eat.
    and that's what it's all about
    isn't it strange, how something that seems odd or doubtful, or a wild turn of events that may seem depleted (or diminished, or even deleriously outrageous) -- can actually lead to personal growth and discovery?
    sure sometimes there is nothing to it - but that in itself is actually a learning experience

    Quote Originally Posted by Valdez View Post
    We shall see, I'm still skeptical
    always be balanced, healthy skepticism is tremendously valuable (as been mentioned)
    always question everything, not in the paranoid sense, just logically and thoroughly
    never believe everything you are told


    for my part, i learned that hey - maybe science (esp in regards to compositional factors) may not be so bad after all..maybe i like it
    (i still always carry healthy skepticism lol)
    and, my next realm of self-discovery in dietary discretion may just be tackling the total gluten-free barrier..
    signs point to this being absolutely conducive with other beliefs of mine, and further enhancing my quest for not only health but also my appearance

    dig it
  19. Re: Protein Shake vs FOOD Source


    Quote Originally Posted by JudoJosh View Post
    Do you take fish oil? If so, stop

    Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S™II using Tapatalk 2
    No I can't take fish oils but some of my worst reflux bouts are from fish oils

    - Valdez
    The Physique Biochemist
    Biochemistry Major
    Your Physique AND Credentials Should Back Up Your Position

  20. Quote Originally Posted by Valdez View Post
    No I can't take fish oils but some of my worst reflux bouts are from fish oils

    - Valdez
    Take 1 Tbsp of apple cider vinegar 1-2x/day. You'll be fine in a week.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys


  21. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post

    Take 1 Tbsp of apple cider vinegar 1-2x/day. You'll be fine in a week.
    This. I had horrible acid reflux, took ACV for roughly a week and havent had it since. Although i regularly take ACV now for the plethora of benefits it offers.
    Psalms 62:1-62:2

  22. Sup Rodja

    You think there is ANY Difference betwen the caps and the real deal/liquid

    Also highly debated

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Take 1 Tbsp of apple cider vinegar 1-2x/day. You'll be fine in a week.
    A-Minds HYPE-SLAYER! All posts & feedback are guaranteed to be unsolicited and legit
    "The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge. Fools despise wisdom & instruction"
    Proverbs 1:7

  23. Quote Originally Posted by Whacked View Post
    Sup Rodja

    You think there is ANY Difference betwen the caps and the real deal/liquid

    Also highly debated
    I haven't personally tried the tabs of them to compare them against the liquid, but I generally defer to the form found within nature, which is obviously liquid.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

  24. Re: Protein Shake vs FOOD Source


    Plus I imagine liquid is less $$

    Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S™II using Tapatalk 2
    PESCIENCE.COM

    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates
  25. Re: Protein Shake vs FOOD Source


    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Take 1 Tbsp of apple cider vinegar 1-2x/day. You'll be fine in a week.
    Tried it :/ works for EVERYONE but me... Sucks

    - Valdez
    The Physique Biochemist
    Biochemistry Major
    Your Physique AND Credentials Should Back Up Your Position
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. whole food vs. protein shakes
    By mooch2321 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 09-10-2009, 12:28 AM
  2. Protein Bars vs. Shakes
    By IvyLeaguePump in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-29-2008, 01:34 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-13-2007, 03:03 AM
Log in
Log in