Will red wine with dinner affect supplements?

1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    10.49%

Question Will red wine with dinner affect supplements?

My wife and I recently started drinking a small glass of red wine with dinner each night to take advantage of the many reported health benefits. I also take my evening supplements after dinner and am wondering if the alcohol will affect them in any way. Currently Im taking after dinner; Sesathin, multi-vit, milk thistle, and nolva since Im on PCT after M1T. Other times of the day I take; R-ALA, NAC, MAN Body Octane, VPX CEX, ON protein and Glutamine.

Thanks for your thoughts.

BTW- this is my first post on the AM forum, after spending quite a bit of time on BB.com forum. The AM forum is excellent. There is a lot of quality information here.

2. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    45.28%

from what i have heard...no it shouldn't get in the way of your supplementation. what you should be more concerned of is if it is bad during PCT and especially after a M1T cycle. i feel a small glass of red wine is also not bad on the liver...its high amounts of consumption of alcohol that is bad. and if you were to drink any type of alcohol, red wine is your best bet. i think you should be fine. however, i do not have liver values or documentation to prove this statement...so its just my 2 cents
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    93.72%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

whatever the health benefits of a glass of wine, I'd say they're overwhelmed by the M1T cycle you're recovering from. very likely unwise to adopt this particular habit. a better bet, PCT-wise, might be grape-seed extract & resveratrol.

oh - your original question: many vitamins are destroyed / depleted by alcohol.
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  237 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    30.6%

I see nothing wrong with a glass of red wine after dinner. I have been doing this recently as well, 1) because I'm starting to like red wine, even the more dry varieties 2) the bioflavanoids and other antioxidants researched in drinking one glass of wine have shown to be beneficial

While you certainly can find other ways to get antioxidants into your system, I don't think drinking a glass of wine should be a problem, no. Do you enjoy it? If not particularly, then stop. If so, I say enjoy it, although only a glass or so.
  5. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    10.49%

Quote Originally Posted by jweave23
    Do you enjoy it? If not particularly, then stop. If so, I say enjoy it, although only a glass or so.
    I have to say, the couple of different wines I have sampled so far are tough to drink. But, if I add just a little diet squirt it tastes great! Maybe I will acquire a taste after time. I've just never drank much wine.

The plan is, just one small glass with dinner.

Chris
  6. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    60.67%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Damn....how can someone not like wine? Sorry, I know the whole subjective thing etc. etc.....Ive just been a fan of wine for years, and Im still only 21. Family thing i guess.

As for the person questioning liver issues from M1T and wine, I seriously doubt one glass of wine is a problem. Im not going to dig for a study right now, but there are a number of things that people ingest regularly that are harder on the liver than a single glass of wine. Now a bottle of wine.....thats another story.
  7. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.93%

Just out of curiosity what have you tried? I can't imagine anyone needing to add anything to a good merlot or cab.
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  237 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    30.6%

Anyone a fan of Shiraz? I tried it for the first time over Thanksgiving, not digging it as much as a cabernet or merlot
  9. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    60.67%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Shiraz is ok, but not really my bag. im a big cab fan. usually dryer the better. although a real good petit sirrah (sp) can be perfect as well. And dont get me started on my sangiovese and vino nobile, damn I miss Italia.

Also, a good chardonnay with fish or poultry can often hit the spot, although a viognier (sp again) will always top it in my opinion.
  10. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.36%

Quote Originally Posted by jweave23
    Anyone a fan of Shiraz? I tried it for the first time over Thanksgiving, not digging it as much as a cabernet or merlot
    Yes, Shiraz is my favorite wine now. The only problem is I have a hard time stopping drinking it once I get started.
  11. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    10.49%

Quote Originally Posted by cr4ytonic
    Just out of curiosity what have you tried? I can't imagine anyone needing to add anything to a good merlot or cab.

Right now we have a bottle of "Barton & Guestier, Beaujolais". The first bottle was different, but it's been thrown out and I don't remember what it was. Honestly I couldn't tell the difference anyway.

I know absolutely nothing about wine with the exception that it comes in different colors. Any recommendations for beginners would be appreciated. Im sure I could benefit from a little more sophistication.

Chris
  12. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    60.67%
    Achievements Posting Pro

The question is what your taste leans towards, and what you are eating. What types of wine do you at least think you might like? Do you prefer something dry, fruity, nutty etc....hints of oak, currants etc. This will help lead one to guide you to certain types of grapes and help guide you to something you like.
    My advice would be to grab a decent bottle of cabernet, something from Napa or Sonoma would be fine. (great with a steak or red meat). If that is too dry, try a merlot or shiraz. If you would like something more mellow try some Italian wine. PM me and I can give you a few reasonably priced bottles in reds or whites.
  13. Anabolic Innovations Owner
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    54.87%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Ok OK OK This is ANOBOLIC Board

NOT the Metro-Sexual Board ya wankers
  14. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.64%

Quote Originally Posted by cgb6810
    My wife and I recently started drinking a small glass of red wine with dinner each night to take advantage of the many reported health benefits. I also take my evening supplements after dinner and am wondering if the alcohol will affect them in any way. Currently Im taking after dinner; Sesathin, multi-vit, milk thistle, and nolva since Im on PCT after M1T. Other times of the day I take; R-ALA, NAC, MAN Body Octane, VPX CEX, ON protein and Glutamine.

Thanks for your thoughts.

BTW- this is my first post on the AM forum, after spending quite a bit of time on BB.com forum. The AM forum is excellent. There is a lot of quality information here.
    I can feel the difference if I have more than a small amount of alcohol. I'd just eat blueberries, they have all the same benefits sans the alcohol.
  15. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    50.7%

Quote Originally Posted by Scottyo
    The question is what your taste leans towards, and what you are eating. What types of wine do you at least think you might like? Do you prefer something dry, fruity, nutty etc....hints of oak, currants etc. This will help lead one to guide you to certain types of grapes and help guide you to something you like.
    My advice would be to grab a decent bottle of cabernet, something from Napa or Sonoma would be fine. (great with a steak or red meat). If that is too dry, try a merlot or shiraz. If you would like something more mellow try some Italian wine. PM me and I can give you a few reasonably priced bottles in reds or whites.

Could you list the reasonably priced bottles in reds or whites?

Thanks
    SeaHawk22
  16. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    45.16%

Thanks
    SeaHawk22
    Night Train Express
    Cisco
    Thunderbird
    Mad Dog 20/20

Will red wine with dinner affect supplements?
    A bottle of any of these seems to make CEE and anhydrous caffeine taste just fine...
  17. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    45.16%

I'm just kidding. ScottyO's advice is right on...
  18. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.8%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by milwood
    Thunderbird
    Mad Dog 20/20
    I see you go for nothing but the very best in wine. For MD 20/20, February was a very good month.
  19. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    14.8%

Quote Originally Posted by UHCougar05
    I see you go for nothing but the very best in wine. For MD 20/20, February was a very good month.
    Classic....
  20. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    76.9%

If you're doing it just for the health benefits, red grape juice is superior to wine any day of the week.

My guess is that you're after a little more than that, though.
  21. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    40.65%

MD20/20... eh, GROSS !!!

But seriously cgb6810, there are a few non-alcoholic wines out there that are actually very good. I went to a wine tasting a few months ago at a local wine warehouse, the tasting consisted of 12 wines and one champagne (sp), anyway I took notes and the first few were pretty detailed... needless to say by the time I got to wines 5 on the list and over my quality of notes diminished and I ended up writing stuff like " me likes" or " is gud ". One of those wines was a non-alcoholic wine. I'll look for the list sometime this weekend and post the name.

Also, if there is a wine warehouse or the like in your town I highly recommend signing up for a wine tasting, you won't come out an expert but you'll have a very good idea of what you like and what you dislike and most importantly you learn to not be fooled by prices - there are many wines very reasonably priced that are leaps and bounds better than high end, expensive wines.

Enjoy.
  22. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    58.79%

Quote Originally Posted by SeaHawk22

Thanks
    SeaHawk22
    A guy at work was just recommending 2001 Clos du Bois Cab. He's kind of a wine snob, and normally drinks more expensive/better wine, but he said the 2001 blew him away for the price. St. Francis 'Old Vine' red zin if you want something smoother.

I wouldn't know though, I'm not much of a wine drinker - I'll take my flavonoids and polyphenols in a Guinness.
  23. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'9"  192 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    35.13%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by milwood
    Night Train Express
    Cisco
    Thunderbird
    Mad Dog 20/20

A bottle of any of these seems to make CEE and anhydrous caffeine taste just fine...
    Don't forget about the ROSE. Boone's farm is another quality "wine". But nothing can compare to the Night Train Express
    Attached Images Attached Images  
  24. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    50.7%

Thanks for the responses. I like the health benefits of red wine, but I like the taste of Guiness though lol
    any red wines that taste like dark irish beer? only kidding

thanks again
    SeaHawk22
  25. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.64%

Quote Originally Posted by SeaHawk22
    Thanks for the responses. I like the health benefits of red wine, but I like the taste of Guiness though lol
    any red wines that taste like dark irish beer? only kidding

thanks again
    SeaHawk22
    Guiness? yuck.
  26. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.01%

Guinness is actually supposed to have a great host of health benefits. Believe it or not it is lower in cals than a Bud and it is loaded with antioxidants.
  27. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    45.16%

Guinness is actually supposed to have a great host of health benefits. Believe it or not it is lower in cals than a Bud and it is loaded with antioxidants
    probably fine, even healthy in moderation. But lower cal than Bud??? Bud is like water! No way that could be true. Is it???
  28. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.01%

Actually, I just double checked and they are exactly the same calorically: http://www.theraven.com/beer.html The difference is that Bud is purely empty calories, and Guinness provides some nutritional value, kinda like eating skittles vs. an orange.
  29. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    3.43%

How could you forget about the ripple?

Seriously though Pinoy Nior has become a recent favorite, but any dry red wine (With a cork, not a screw cap) will do. The Clo du bois is excellent. Also, red wine IMO is better than grape juice because it is fermented to almost total dryness leaving you with less sugar. In addition, there are many polyphenols formed during the fermentation process that you just don't get with grape juice.

That said, I would avoid ALL alcohol for at least 30 days after M1T, just to be safe. No need to bitch slap it while it is trying to recover.
  30. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    77.84%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Redeemer
    How could you forget about the ripple?

Seriously though Pinoy Nior has become a recent favorite, ....

Pinot Noir?

But enough will all the wine talk... I would lay off all alchohol durring PCT for M1T.
  31. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    3.43%

I am so embarrased.
  32. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    45.16%

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Redeemer
    I am so embarrased.
    yeah,

stick to the Mad Pup, Thunderchicken, and Night Choo-choo...
  33. The Chosen One
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    82.91%

Nothing better than a glass of a good Merlot with steak!

Similar Forum Threads

1. How bad is diet soda? Will it interact with supplements?
    By waimoku in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 86
    Last Post: 04-27-2007, 01:53 PM
  2. Scientists find clue to why red wine is healthy
    By Oswizle in forum Supplements
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-01-2006, 05:45 PM
  3. Clemens will come back - with record salary for pitcher
    By David Dunn in forum Sports Talk
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-29-2005, 05:58 PM
  4. Study: Red Wine Molecule Shown to Extend Life