Will red wine with dinner affect supplements?

cgb6810

Awards
My wife and I recently started drinking a small glass of red wine with dinner each night to take advantage of the many reported health benefits. I also take my evening supplements after dinner and am wondering if the alcohol will affect them in any way. Currently Im taking after dinner; Sesathin, multi-vit, milk thistle, and nolva since Im on PCT after M1T. Other times of the day I take; R-ALA, NAC, MAN Body Octane, VPX CEX, ON protein and Glutamine.

Thanks for your thoughts.

BTW- this is my first post on the AM forum, after spending quite a bit of time on BB.com forum. The AM forum is excellent. There is a lot of quality information here.

mauibuilt

Awards
  • Established
from what i have heard...no it shouldn't get in the way of your supplementation. what you should be more concerned of is if it is bad during PCT and especially after a M1T cycle. i feel a small glass of red wine is also not bad on the liver...its high amounts of consumption of alcohol that is bad. and if you were to drink any type of alcohol, red wine is your best bet. i think you should be fine. however, i do not have liver values or documentation to prove this statement...so its just my 2 cents

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
whatever the health benefits of a glass of wine, I'd say they're overwhelmed by the M1T cycle you're recovering from. very likely unwise to adopt this particular habit. a better bet, PCT-wise, might be grape-seed extract & resveratrol.

oh - your original question: many vitamins are destroyed / depleted by alcohol.

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
I see nothing wrong with a glass of red wine after dinner. I have been doing this recently as well, 1) because I'm starting to like red wine, even the more dry varieties 2) the bioflavanoids and other antioxidants researched in drinking one glass of wine have shown to be beneficial

While you certainly can find other ways to get antioxidants into your system, I don't think drinking a glass of wine should be a problem, no. Do you enjoy it? If not particularly, then stop. If so, I say enjoy it, although only a glass or so.

cgb6810

Awards
Do you enjoy it? If not particularly, then stop. If so, I say enjoy it, although only a glass or so.
I have to say, the couple of different wines I have sampled so far are tough to drink. But, if I add just a little diet squirt it tastes great! Maybe I will acquire a taste after time. I've just never drank much wine.

The plan is, just one small glass with dinner.

Chris

Scottyo

Awards
  • Established
Damn....how can someone not like wine? Sorry, I know the whole subjective thing etc. etc.....Ive just been a fan of wine for years, and Im still only 21. Family thing i guess.

As for the person questioning liver issues from M1T and wine, I seriously doubt one glass of wine is a problem. Im not going to dig for a study right now, but there are a number of things that people ingest regularly that are harder on the liver than a single glass of wine. Now a bottle of wine.....thats another story.

cr4ytonic

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Just out of curiosity what have you tried? I can't imagine anyone needing to add anything to a good merlot or cab.

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
Anyone a fan of Shiraz? I tried it for the first time over Thanksgiving, not digging it as much as a cabernet or merlot

Scottyo

Awards
  • Established
Shiraz is ok, but not really my bag. im a big cab fan. usually dryer the better. although a real good petit sirrah (sp) can be perfect as well. And dont get me started on my sangiovese and vino nobile, damn I miss Italia.

Also, a good chardonnay with fish or poultry can often hit the spot, although a viognier (sp again) will always top it in my opinion.

NPursuit

Awards
  • Established
Anyone a fan of Shiraz? I tried it for the first time over Thanksgiving, not digging it as much as a cabernet or merlot
Yes, Shiraz is my favorite wine now. The only problem is I have a hard time stopping drinking it once I get started.

cgb6810

Awards
Just out of curiosity what have you tried? I can't imagine anyone needing to add anything to a good merlot or cab.

Right now we have a bottle of "Barton & Guestier, Beaujolais". The first bottle was different, but it's been thrown out and I don't remember what it was. Honestly I couldn't tell the difference anyway.

I know absolutely nothing about wine with the exception that it comes in different colors. Any recommendations for beginners would be appreciated. Im sure I could benefit from a little more sophistication.

Chris

Scottyo

Awards
  • Established
The question is what your taste leans towards, and what you are eating. What types of wine do you at least think you might like? Do you prefer something dry, fruity, nutty etc....hints of oak, currants etc. This will help lead one to guide you to certain types of grapes and help guide you to something you like.
My advice would be to grab a decent bottle of cabernet, something from Napa or Sonoma would be fine. (great with a steak or red meat). If that is too dry, try a merlot or shiraz. If you would like something more mellow try some Italian wine. PM me and I can give you a few reasonably priced bottles in reds or whites.

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
Ok OK OK This is ANOBOLIC Board

NOT the Metro-Sexual Board ya wankers :icon_lol:

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
My wife and I recently started drinking a small glass of red wine with dinner each night to take advantage of the many reported health benefits. I also take my evening supplements after dinner and am wondering if the alcohol will affect them in any way. Currently Im taking after dinner; Sesathin, multi-vit, milk thistle, and nolva since Im on PCT after M1T. Other times of the day I take; R-ALA, NAC, MAN Body Octane, VPX CEX, ON protein and Glutamine.

Thanks for your thoughts.

BTW- this is my first post on the AM forum, after spending quite a bit of time on BB.com forum. The AM forum is excellent. There is a lot of quality information here.
I can feel the difference if I have more than a small amount of alcohol. I'd just eat blueberries, they have all the same benefits sans the alcohol.

SeaHawk22

Awards
The question is what your taste leans towards, and what you are eating. What types of wine do you at least think you might like? Do you prefer something dry, fruity, nutty etc....hints of oak, currants etc. This will help lead one to guide you to certain types of grapes and help guide you to something you like.
My advice would be to grab a decent bottle of cabernet, something from Napa or Sonoma would be fine. (great with a steak or red meat). If that is too dry, try a merlot or shiraz. If you would like something more mellow try some Italian wine. PM me and I can give you a few reasonably priced bottles in reds or whites.

Could you list the reasonably priced bottles in reds or whites?

Thanks
SeaHawk22

milwood

milwood

Awards
  • Established

Thanks
SeaHawk22
Night Train Express
Cisco
Thunderbird
Mad Dog 20/20

Will red wine with dinner affect supplements?
A bottle of any of these seems to make CEE and anhydrous caffeine taste just fine...

milwood

milwood

Awards
  • Established
I'm just kidding. ScottyO's advice is right on...

mtruther

mtruther

Awards
If you're doing it just for the health benefits, red grape juice is superior to wine any day of the week.

My guess is that you're after a little more than that, though. ;)

silverSurfer

silverSurfer

Awards
  • Established
MD20/20... eh, GROSS !!!

But seriously cgb6810, there are a few non-alcoholic wines out there that are actually very good. I went to a wine tasting a few months ago at a local wine warehouse, the tasting consisted of 12 wines and one champagne (sp), anyway I took notes and the first few were pretty detailed... needless to say by the time I got to wines 5 on the list and over my quality of notes diminished and I ended up writing stuff like " :) me likes" or " :) is gud ". One of those wines was a non-alcoholic wine. I'll look for the list sometime this weekend and post the name.

Also, if there is a wine warehouse or the like in your town I highly recommend signing up for a wine tasting, you won't come out an expert but you'll have a very good idea of what you like and what you dislike and most importantly you learn to not be fooled by prices - there are many wines very reasonably priced that are leaps and bounds better than high end, expensive wines.

Enjoy.

intv

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established

Thanks
SeaHawk22
A guy at work was just recommending 2001 Clos du Bois Cab. He's kind of a wine snob, and normally drinks more expensive/better wine, but he said the 2001 blew him away for the price. St. Francis 'Old Vine' red zin if you want something smoother.

I wouldn't know though, I'm not much of a wine drinker - I'll take my flavonoids and polyphenols in a Guinness. ;)

Grassroots082

Grassroots082

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Night Train Express
Cisco
Thunderbird
Mad Dog 20/20

A bottle of any of these seems to make CEE and anhydrous caffeine taste just fine...
Don't forget about the ROSE. Boone's farm is another quality "wine". But nothing can compare to the Night Train Express
:lol: :lol:

Attachments

SeaHawk22

Awards
Thanks for the responses. I like the health benefits of red wine, but I like the taste of Guiness though lol
any red wines that taste like dark irish beer? only kidding

thanks again
SeaHawk22 :)

doggzj

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the responses. I like the health benefits of red wine, but I like the taste of Guiness though lol
any red wines that taste like dark irish beer? only kidding

thanks again
SeaHawk22 :)
Guiness? yuck.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Guinness is actually supposed to have a great host of health benefits. Believe it or not it is lower in cals than a Bud and it is loaded with antioxidants.

milwood

milwood

Awards
  • Established
Guinness is actually supposed to have a great host of health benefits. Believe it or not it is lower in cals than a Bud and it is loaded with antioxidants
probably fine, even healthy in moderation. But lower cal than Bud??? Bud is like water! No way that could be true. Is it???

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Actually, I just double checked and they are exactly the same calorically: http://www.theraven.com/beer.html The difference is that Bud is purely empty calories, and Guinness provides some nutritional value, kinda like eating skittles vs. an orange.

Redeemer

Awards
How could you forget about the ripple?

Seriously though Pinoy Nior has become a recent favorite, but any dry red wine (With a cork, not a screw cap) will do. The Clo du bois is excellent. Also, red wine IMO is better than grape juice because it is fermented to almost total dryness leaving you with less sugar. In addition, there are many polyphenols formed during the fermentation process that you just don't get with grape juice.

That said, I would avoid ALL alcohol for at least 30 days after M1T, just to be safe. No need to bitch slap it while it is trying to recover.

cry0smate

cry0smate

The Chosen One
Awards
Nothing better than a glass of a good Merlot with steak!