Citrulline Malate vs. L-Ornithine

1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    45.05%

Citrulline Malate vs. L-Ornithine

I have been using 6-8 grams of Citrulline Malate daily for quite some time now and have found it to be beneficial for increased endurance, improved circulation, and increased NO production among many other benefits. Would there be any benefit or synergy by adding in Ornithine HCL?

Everywhere I looked, I could not seem to find the answer. So I wanted to get some discussion going regarding these two supplements. I found plenty of threads and information regarding L-Citrulline, Citrulline Malate, and L-Ornithine HCL individually, but I could not really find anything with regards to L-Citrulline/Citrulline Malate vs. L-Ornithine HCL and/or pairing of the two together.

From my understanding, Ornithine, Citrulline, and Arginine are the 3 main components of the Urea Cycle. Ornithine is a precursor to Citrulline, which is in turn is a precursor to Arginine. Also Citrulline can convert back to Ornithine as well. I know there are many pre-workout supps that include both Ornithine and Citrulline, but seeing as how Citrulline can convert back to Ornithine as well, would it be redundant to take both? I have spoken to a few knowledgeable people as well as read a few studies, and it would appear that Citrulline seems to be the more useful component of Urea Cycle seeing as how it can increase arginine and help maximize ornithine. And if that is the case, then for those of us who use the higher end dose of 6-8 grams of Citrulline Malate daily, is this enough to maximize Ornithine levels which would in turn make any additional Ornithine supplementation unecessary?

2. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    45.05%

Bump...
  3. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    72.63%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

I would just stick with your CM, and spend money on something else, other than Ornithine. There are products that contain both, as a blend, but to mix both as bulk, isn't worth it in regards to additional benefits.
    •   

4. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'8"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    37.6%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

I would just stick to CM if you like it. You dont need ornithine.
    CELTIC LABS REP
  5. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    45.05%

Thanks for the replies. Everything I read pretty much points to the same conclusion. I just wanted to see if there were any differing opinions as well as the reasoning behind it. In the long run though, I agree that CM is the most useful of the three.
  6. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    70.43%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

Citrulline is the key since it helps overcome the rate-limiting step in arginine conversion/NO synthesis. Ornithine has worth for sure, but if given the option, CM all the way
    http://pescience.com/
    http://selectprotein.com/
    The above is my own opinion and does not reflect the opinion of PES
  7. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    45.05%

Can one just opt to take more CM in order to maximize endogenous Ornithine?

Similar Forum Threads

1. citrulline malate 2:1 vs regular
    By tnubs in forum Supplements
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-29-2010, 05:31 PM
  2. Citrulline Malate vs Di-L-Arginine-L-Malate
    By jazzman21 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-15-2008, 03:06 PM
  3. "L-Citrulline Malate" vs "L-Citrulline"?
    By picasso in forum Supplements
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-14-2005, 07:41 PM
  4. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12-05-2004, 11:25 PM