NOW Carbo Gain... Extremelly confused?

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
So I purchased this and I am just mind blown and completely confused...

Description reads:

NOW Carbo Gain is a 100% pure maltodextrin, an easily digestible complex carbohydrate derived from corn. Maltodextrin contains glucose polymers , linked sugar compounds that are easier for the body to assimilate and use. Glucose polymers are metabolized at a slow, steady rate that can help to sustain energy levels during endurance oriented workouts and/or athletic events and support weight gain. Carbo Gain contains virtually no protein, fat or fiber and is a convenient source of energy for active individuals.* Look to NOW for all of your high quality sports supplement needs.
Ok... so 100% pure Maltodextrin, cool. Malto as far as I know is a simple Carb, correct? Easy and quick absorption. So, why does the label read "100% Complex Carbohydrate" ?

Absolutely lost here. Is it simple... is malto... is it complex... does it work for carb backloading... wth?

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

Description reads:

Ok... so 100% pure Maltodextrin, cool. Malto as far as I know is a simple Carb, correct? Easy and quick absorption. So, why does the label read "100% Complex Carbohydrate" ?

Absolutely lost here. Is it simple... is malto... is it complex... does it work for carb backloading... wth?
Technically, yes maltodexterin is a complex-carb given its structure. However, it's GI rating is higher than dextrose or sugar. It will work fine for backloading. I just hope your stomach can handle it, sits in mine like a rock.

uvawahoowa

Awards

Description reads:

Mailto is a high GI complex carb. If you want a simple carb go with dextrose or maybe waxy maize

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
Mine mixed horribly and clumped.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm hit or miss with malto..

waxy maize on the other hand straight up sucks

I wish I had some now though, been sick the last few days and today is the first day I've eatin since Sunday morning. quite depleted

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
Alright, got it... I was really confused there for a bit haha, unsure if I had just made a completely wrong purchase or if it was straight up just ridiculous advertising.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Alright, got it... I was really confused there for a bit haha, unsure if I had just made a completely wrong purchase or if it was straight up just ridiculous advertising.
The information on the label is completely correct. The confusion comes from the erroneous interchangeable use of high-GI equals simple carbs and dextrose/maltodextrin.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
The information on the label is completely correct. The confusion comes from the erroneous interchangeable use of high-GI equals simple carbs and dextrose/maltodextrin.
I 100% had that thought process. Learn something new everyday.

WPChickDiesel

WPChickDiesel

Awards

Description reads:

It would only be considered a "complex" carb because of its source, corn. Corn has a low glycemic index as which it falls in the slower digesting carb categories.

However, the NOW Carbo Gain is not intended to be used soley as a "mass gainer" supplement. For better results its recommended to add a serving to your protein powders or intra-workout. You could also use it for carb backloading or after a workout to replenish depleted glycogen stores.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It would only be considered a "complex" carb because of its source, corn. Corn has a low glycemic index as which it falls in the slower digesting carb categories.

However, the NOW Carbo Gain is not intended to be used soley as a "mass gainer" supplement. For better results its recommended to add a serving to your protein powders or intra-workout. You could also use it for carb backloading or after a workout to replenish depleted glycogen stores.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
The GI of corn is different from the GI of maltodextrin.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
I am using it to spike insulin after workout, as an addition to my protein shake, so as I understand it will do the trick just fine.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.