Cholesterol, cholesterol medicine, & supplements

enhanced

enhanced

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Just trying to pick y'alls brains here.. I did blood work this past summer, & my total cholesterol was 231 & LDL was 151! I found that hard to believe, knowing how much I work out and how clean my diet is. I know that it does run in my family, but never thought it would catch up w/ me. Well, I did bloods again this month, & got pretty much the same exact numbers! I even increased my fiber these past few months! So, I'm thinking it may be time for me to consider finally going on medication for this. Or, is there something else I can try before going on an Rx. I know I need to do more cardio, but I'm not sure how much that will help.

I hit the gym hard about 4-6x a week, spending at least an hour in there. Like I said, I eat fairly clean, eating a TON of regular oatmeal every day. I'm also eating shredded wheat and more vegetables too..

I'd like to think that nothing I've taken lately would spike my cholesterol. Other than any type of preworkout or diet pill, I've only taken Versa-1, fish oil, cissus, and protein.

I was getting ready to start running clen this week, until my results came in. I haven't found much as far as clen and cholesterol go, but I really don't want to be taking any chances.

Does anybody have any input as far as any certain types of food, or any OTC pills I could try?

Other than PH's, I'm not aware of any other types of supps that would adversely effect my LDL..

Thanks-

mrgoodbar0

Awards

I got some advice, I'll have to get to a PC to type it. In short the grains are creating constant inflammation and you need healthy saturated fats and good dietary cholesterol. Oats are FULL of phytic acid, an anti nutrient. Do you have a lot of dental related problems? Get some kerrygold butter, coconut and Mct oil, grass fed grass finished beef and lose the nut/vegetable oils and grains.

From wiki - Phytic acid (known as inositol hexakisphosphate (IP6), or phytate when in salt form), discovered in 1903,[1] is the principal storage form of phosphorus in many plant tissues, especially bran and seeds.[2] Phytate is not digestible to humans or nonruminant animals, however, so it is not a source of either inositol or phosphate if eaten directly. Moreover, it chelates and thus makes unabsorbable certain important minor minerals such as zinc and iron, and to a lesser extent, also macro minerals such as calcium and magnesium.

enhanced

enhanced

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Thanks for the reply. So basically, I'm eating TOO MUCH oatmeal?? Interesting.. I'll look for the mct oil. We only cook with olive oil & I'm taking around 6-9g of fish oil a day.

Oh, no dental problems to speak of.

Thanks again.

JD261985

Banned
Awards
I got some advice, I'll have to get to a PC to type it. In short the grains are creating constant inflammation and you need healthy saturated fats and good dietary cholesterol. Oats are FULL of phytic acid, an anti nutrient. Do you have a lot of dental related problems? Get some kerrygold butter, coconut and Mct oil, grass fed grass finished beef and lose the nut/vegetable oils and grains.

From wiki - Phytic acid (known as inositol hexakisphosphate (IP6), or phytate when in salt form), discovered in 1903,[1] is the principal storage form of phosphorus in many plant tissues, especially bran and seeds.[2] Phytate is not digestible to humans or nonruminant animals, however, so it is not a source of either inositol or phosphate if eaten directly. Moreover, it chelates and thus makes unabsorbable certain important minor minerals such as zinc and iron, and to a lesser extent, also macro minerals such as calcium and magnesium.
How is a bodybuilder supposed to go without grains? J/s lol

mrgoodbar0

Awards

Cooking with fats that are not saturated oxidize extremely easy and creates more inflammation. Check out bulletproofexec , read his eating guide and watch some of his talks. Basically his diet suggests mainly fat and protein with low carbs coming mostly from veggies and sweet potatoes.

It may sound drastic eating tons of fat and cholesterol, but if what you're doing now isn't working maybe you need to switch it up. High cholesterol is a sign of another issue, takin drugs to lower it doesn't solve the problem.

By the way I eat tons of fat from butter and beef, grains one day a week max, and low carbs the rest of the time, my LDL is 116 and my HDL (good) is 84. The minimum good amount of HDL should be 49 and the higher it is compared to LDL the better.

enhanced

enhanced

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Researching clen & cholesterol right now. Not finding anything of value.

Anybody out there have any input on this?

enhanced

enhanced

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Cooking with fats that are not saturated oxidize extremely easy and creates more inflammation. Check out bulletproofexec , read his eating guide and watch some of his talks.
Thanks! Going to check it out right now.

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Some good info in this thead if its legit!

enhanced

enhanced

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I picked up some sweet potato's & Red Yeast Rice this morning. I saw the butter you mentioned, but I really don't use butter to begin with.

Mission1

Mission1

Awards
  • Established
I picked up some sweet potato's & Red Yeast Rice this morning. I saw the butter you mentioned, but I really don't use butter to begin with.
Return the red yeast rice. It doesn't work. The chemical in it was removed because the FDA was involved.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
do you have your HDL too? and triglycerides? because honestly if the LDL : HDL ratio is 3:1 or lower (as it looks like it is) its not a big deal, and if triglycerides is in line then cholesterol isn't problematic. Its part of the series of lies dating back to some studies done back in the 40s+50s that showed cholesterol being linked to heart disease. You know why the studies showed that? because total cholesterol was the first serum lipid blood test, and generally high cholesterol does correlate with high triglycerides. But all real studies later showed that its is the triglycerides or possibly the VLDL cholesterol that are the problem causers, not a generally high cholesterol alone.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
if it were me, i'd be unconcerned at those levels, and just track going forwards to make sure it isn't continuing to shift. One thing you said tho
I'd like to think that nothing I've taken lately would spike my cholesterol
. Was it significantly lower in the recent past and measured by the same lab?

enhanced

enhanced

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Was it significantly lower in the recent past and measured by the same lab?
Back in May, my total was <200. When I had it checked in Oct, it was pretty much the same as it is right now.

matter2003

matter2003

Awards
1) Your liver can produce more cholesterol than anything you could possibly eat...diet has little to do with it, other than causing unhealthiness which then prompts the liver to produce cholesterol since it acts like a bandaid to patch up damage inside the body.

2) Lecithin binds to and flushes cholesterol out of the body...get Lecithin granules and try 4-5 TBSP per day. You can get a 1kg container of Non-GMO lecithin from Swanson for $20.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Re: Cholesterol, cholesterol medicine, &amp; supplements

Ask to get LDL measured if you are concerned. Then can measure and give you a particle size break down which will help paint a much clearer picture but Easy pretty much hit it on the head. Your HDL is good and you trig is low so I would be more inclined to think your LDL is comprised mainly of the large boyuant kind as opposed to the small dense kind.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

enhanced

enhanced

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
1) Your liver can produce more cholesterol than anything you could possibly eat...diet has little to do with it, other than causing unhealthiness which then prompts the liver to produce cholesterol since it acts like a bandaid to patch up damage inside the body.

2) Lecithin binds to and flushes cholesterol out of the body...get Lecithin granules and try 4-5 TBSP per day. You can get a 1kg container of Non-GMO lecithin from Swanson for $20.
Not taking anything away from the advice you gave me, but I picked up a bottle of Phytosterols from ***. It states on the bottle that it supports healthy cholesterol levels, and also blocks absorption of cholesterol from food.

Is this a decent choice?

matter2003

matter2003

Awards
Also start taking 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon twice a day preferably with carbs...after 30 days in studies it was shown to lower triglycerides 17%, cholesterol 29% and has exceptional blood glucose lowering effects, increasing the sensitivity to insulin by up to 20 times normal.

Extra Virgin Olive Oil is a great way to lower cholesterol while boosting testosterone. I utilize olive oil almost exclusively for my fat source along with coconut oil, taking tablespoons at a time. It also helps you lose body fat as well.

matter2003

matter2003

Awards
Yes, sterols are effective as well...

I would implement sterols, cinnamon and olive oil right away. Your cholesterol would likely be in good shape woolhithin a few months

warbird01

warbird01

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
High cholesterol is genetic in my family. I started running 1g of niacin and 4-6 caps of cycle assist a day and went down to normal. Doc had tried to get me on a prescription before but I was 21 and didn't wanna go on some **** for the rest of my life.

enhanced

enhanced

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Thanks to everyone who's gotten involved in here. Great information from all of you! Tonight, for dinner, I just finished a huge piece of fresh grilled salmon, and a big ol sweet potato w/ a decent amount of cinnamon on top. I washed it all down w/ one of those phytosterol pills.. :)

enhanced

enhanced

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Re: Cholesterol, cholesterol medicine, &amp; supplements

Just wanted to post up. I got my results back from my labs done on 1/15/13.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Nice. My total cholesterol spiked to 276 after the holidays...eating all the wrong foods, way too many of them and lots of alcohol (ie family tolerance support). Currently cutting back carbs, upping cardio, laying off the booze, and taking Kyolic aged garlic.

Trying to talk my wife into going grainless/paleo...easier said than done.