Caffeine - AnabolicMinds.com

Caffeine

  1. Elite Member
    Jiigzz's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,198
    Rep Power
    3319965

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Caffeine


    Okay, so my brother in law was a pretty avid cofee drinker, 6 cups a day however he recently cut down to 2 cups due to a nutritionalist telling him that caffiene inhibits the brain from entering deeper cycles of sleep after 3 cups of coffee; however I cannot find any information that it prevents REM cycle sleep;

    I know that ingesting caffeine can ultimately enhance circulating levels of ephedine, norephedrine, dopamine etc. and that it is also a stimulant (in that it temporaily reduces the effects of fatigue etc.), but nothing on sleep cycles.

    Question is, does caffeine prevent deeper sleep cycles? Or is his 'safe' with his 6 cup a day habit in this regard?

  2. Elite Member
    Spaniard's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  186 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    6,877
    Rep Power
    3744473

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Re: Caffeine


    Quote Originally Posted by Jiigzz View Post
    Okay, so my brother in law was a pretty avid cofee drinker, 6 cups a day however he recently cut down to 2 cups due to a nutritionalist telling him that caffiene inhibits the brain from entering deeper cycles of sleep after 3 cups of coffee; however I cannot find any information that it prevents REM cycle sleep;

    I know that ingesting caffeine can ultimately enhance circulating levels of ephedine, norephedrine, dopamine etc. and that it is also a stimulant (in that it temporaily reduces the effects of fatigue etc.), but nothing on sleep cycles.

    Question is, does caffeine prevent deeper sleep cycles? Or is his 'safe' with his 6 cup a day habit in this regard?
    I'll have a look around

    - Valdez
    Olympus Labs DemiGod And Rep ~ http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/253076-spaniards-coliseum-featuring.html~http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/220023-valdez-goes-back-29.html
  3. Elite Member
    Spaniard's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  186 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    6,877
    Rep Power
    3744473

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Re: Caffeine


    I read a few studies on different age groups. I was unable to find anything in the short time of searching on a "safe for sleep cycle" amount of caffeine. Caffeine in all the studies related to sleep disturbances does show to have an effect on sleep cycles i.e. deeper sleep and length in different stages. There were sleep disturbances in as little as 100-200mg dosages.

    I would think that the best way to go about avoiding sleep disturbances would be more along the lines of timing not necessarily amount, although, 600 is pretty high lol.

    - Valdez
    Olympus Labs DemiGod And Rep ~ http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/253076-spaniards-coliseum-featuring.html~http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/220023-valdez-goes-back-29.html
    •   
       

  4. Advanced Member
    thedarce's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  179 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Age
    30
    Posts
    727
    Rep Power
    349898

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    pretty sure cooper went all over caffeine last week, tomorrow he'll drop in.
    iForce Nutrition Representative
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/iForce-Nutrition/107510095952360
    iTrain...iCompete...iDarce!
  5. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    22,991
    Rep Power
    917959

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    I'd imagine that he's attenuated to that amount of doesn't interfere with his sleep patterns.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  6. Elite Member
    vidapreta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    5,659
    Rep Power
    3765912

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Re: Caffeine


    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    I'd imagine that he's attenuated to that amount of doesn't interfere with his sleep patterns.
    I agree with this, I drink about 6 cups of coffee daily and still sleep like a baby at night...
  7. Diamond Member
    snagencyV2.0's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    10,381
    Rep Power
    10118486

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    I'd imagine that he's attenuated to that amount of doesn't interfere with his sleep patterns.
    exactly.
    just like we all say "some supps ppl react differently to", so it is as well with caffeine.
    there is no definitive daily amount of caffeine that will impact REM cycle..

    OP - i would speculate tolerance and timing of ingestion will have the impact you speak of, but on an individual basis.

    fyi - some ppl take in over 1000mg caffeine daily (more ppl than you think).
    FINAFLEX Product Educator
    visit our website at finaflex.com
    contact me at snagency@finaflex.com
  8. Elite Member
    Jiigzz's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,198
    Rep Power
    3319965

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Valdez View Post
    I read a few studies on different age groups. I was unable to find anything in the short time of searching on a "safe for sleep cycle" amount of caffeine. Caffeine in all the studies related to sleep disturbances does show to have an effect on sleep cycles i.e. deeper sleep and length in different stages. There were sleep disturbances in as little as 100-200mg dosages.

    I would think that the best way to go about avoiding sleep disturbances would be more along the lines of timing not necessarily amount, although, 600 is pretty high lol.

    - Valdez
    Yeah ive seen similar studies, but none on it preventing certain sleep cycles, (i.e. being able to sleep but not enter deep restful sleep). My knee jerk reaction is to disregard the advice but then again, its always good to look and ask around before doing that
  9. Advanced Member
    jdg76's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  202 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    948
    Rep Power
    539791

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by snagencyV2.0 View Post
    exactly.


    OP - i would speculate tolerance and timing of ingestion will have the impact you speak of, but on an individual basis.

    fyi - some ppl take in over 1000mg caffeine daily (more ppl than you think).
    I would agree. I think it would matter more how long before you sleep that you had caffeine than it would how much.

    Also, being in college, with drinking coffee/espresso/lattes, a stimmed pre workout, and any energy pill/drink I would have, I'd be afraid to add up how much caffeine I have some days haha.
    Proverbs 3:5-6 ESV
    Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths.
  10. Diamond Member
    mr.cooper69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    10,478
    Rep Power
    5966603

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Caffeine is ironically one of the healthiest things that the aging brain can be subject to.
    http://pescience.com/
    http://selectprotein.com/
    The above is my own opinion and does not reflect the opinion of PES
  11. Senior Member
    domore's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,922
    Rep Power
    966231

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post
    Caffeine is ironically one of the healthiest things that the aging brain can be subject to.
    Could you please elaborate?
  12. Elite Member
    Spaniard's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  186 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    6,877
    Rep Power
    3744473

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Re: Caffeine


    Quote Originally Posted by domore View Post
    Could you please elaborate?
    Look on google scholar or pubmed search term - caffeine neuroprotective

    Creatine also has neuroprotective properties

    - Valdez
    Olympus Labs DemiGod And Rep ~ http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/253076-spaniards-coliseum-featuring.html~http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/220023-valdez-goes-back-29.html
  13. Senior Member
    domore's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,922
    Rep Power
    966231

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Valdez View Post
    Look on google scholar or pubmed search term - caffeine neuroprotective

    Creatine also has neuroprotective properties

    - Valdez
    Good deal. Thanks, valdez. I wasn't searching for the correct thing when I was researching it.
  14. Elite Member
    Spaniard's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  186 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    6,877
    Rep Power
    3744473

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Re: Caffeine


    Quote Originally Posted by domore View Post
    Good deal. Thanks, valdez. I wasn't searching for the correct thing when I was researching it.
    Databases are tricky with search terms. I would have gladly just linked you but there's a pretty big body of studies and that would taken quite sometime lol.

    - Valdez
    Olympus Labs DemiGod And Rep ~ http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/253076-spaniards-coliseum-featuring.html~http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/220023-valdez-goes-back-29.html
  15. New Member
    Loudy Rowdy's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    477
    Rep Power
    342972

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    <---This guy probably goes through 700-900mg of caff a day. I tried to go on a stim break recently and failed miserably :/
    IForce Nutrition online forum/message board rep
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. caffeine and creatine
    By captainbicept in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-14-2007, 05:09 PM
  2. Caffeine Does Nothing For You? (Vets Help)
    By BIGNBUFF in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 07-24-2003, 02:07 AM
  3. Caffeine As a Supplement
    By YellowJacket in forum Supplements
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-16-2003, 10:56 AM
  4. Adding Caffeine to Yohimburn
    By zingo in forum Supplements
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-23-2003, 09:50 AM
  5. Caffeine - Beware
    By YellowJacket in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-17-2003, 03:11 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in