Caffeine - AnabolicMinds.com

Caffeine

1. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Caffeine

Okay, so my brother in law was a pretty avid cofee drinker, 6 cups a day however he recently cut down to 2 cups due to a nutritionalist telling him that caffiene inhibits the brain from entering deeper cycles of sleep after 3 cups of coffee; however I cannot find any information that it prevents REM cycle sleep;

I know that ingesting caffeine can ultimately enhance circulating levels of ephedine, norephedrine, dopamine etc. and that it is also a stimulant (in that it temporaily reduces the effects of fatigue etc.), but nothing on sleep cycles.

Question is, does caffeine prevent deeper sleep cycles? Or is his 'safe' with his 6 cup a day habit in this regard?

2. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  186 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Re: Caffeine

Quote Originally Posted by Jiigzz View Post
    Okay, so my brother in law was a pretty avid cofee drinker, 6 cups a day however he recently cut down to 2 cups due to a nutritionalist telling him that caffiene inhibits the brain from entering deeper cycles of sleep after 3 cups of coffee; however I cannot find any information that it prevents REM cycle sleep;

I know that ingesting caffeine can ultimately enhance circulating levels of ephedine, norephedrine, dopamine etc. and that it is also a stimulant (in that it temporaily reduces the effects of fatigue etc.), but nothing on sleep cycles.

Question is, does caffeine prevent deeper sleep cycles? Or is his 'safe' with his 6 cup a day habit in this regard?
    I'll have a look around

- Valdez
    Olympus Labs DemiGod And Rep ~ http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/253076-spaniards-coliseum-featuring.html~http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/220023-valdez-goes-back-29.html
  3. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  186 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

I read a few studies on different age groups. I was unable to find anything in the short time of searching on a "safe for sleep cycle" amount of caffeine. Caffeine in all the studies related to sleep disturbances does show to have an effect on sleep cycles i.e. deeper sleep and length in different stages. There were sleep disturbances in as little as 100-200mg dosages.

I would think that the best way to go about avoiding sleep disturbances would be more along the lines of timing not necessarily amount, although, 600 is pretty high lol.

- Valdez
    Olympus Labs DemiGod And Rep ~ http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/253076-spaniards-coliseum-featuring.html~http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/220023-valdez-goes-back-29.html
    •   

4. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'7"  179 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

pretty sure cooper went all over caffeine last week, tomorrow he'll drop in.
    iForce Nutrition Representative
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/iForce-Nutrition/107510095952360
    iTrain...iCompete...iDarce!
  5. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

I'd imagine that he's attenuated to that amount of doesn't interfere with his sleep patterns.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  6. Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    I'd imagine that he's attenuated to that amount of doesn't interfere with his sleep patterns.
    I agree with this, I drink about 6 cups of coffee daily and still sleep like a baby at night...
  7. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  215 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    exactly.
    just like we all say "some supps ppl react differently to", so it is as well with caffeine.
    there is no definitive daily amount of caffeine that will impact REM cycle..

OP - i would speculate tolerance and timing of ingestion will have the impact you speak of, but on an individual basis.

fyi - some ppl take in over 1000mg caffeine daily (more ppl than you think).
    FINAFLEX Product Educator
    visit our website at finaflex.com
    contact me at snagency@finaflex.com
  8. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by Valdez View Post
    I read a few studies on different age groups. I was unable to find anything in the short time of searching on a "safe for sleep cycle" amount of caffeine. Caffeine in all the studies related to sleep disturbances does show to have an effect on sleep cycles i.e. deeper sleep and length in different stages. There were sleep disturbances in as little as 100-200mg dosages.

I would think that the best way to go about avoiding sleep disturbances would be more along the lines of timing not necessarily amount, although, 600 is pretty high lol.

- Valdez
    Yeah ive seen similar studies, but none on it preventing certain sleep cycles, (i.e. being able to sleep but not enter deep restful sleep). My knee jerk reaction is to disregard the advice but then again, its always good to look and ask around before doing that
  9. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  202 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by snagencyV2.0 View Post
    exactly.

OP - i would speculate tolerance and timing of ingestion will have the impact you speak of, but on an individual basis.

fyi - some ppl take in over 1000mg caffeine daily (more ppl than you think).
    I would agree. I think it would matter more how long before you sleep that you had caffeine than it would how much.

Also, being in college, with drinking coffee/espresso/lattes, a stimmed pre workout, and any energy pill/drink I would have, I'd be afraid to add up how much caffeine I have some days haha.
    Proverbs 3:5-6 ESV
    Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths.
  10. Diamond Member

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Caffeine is ironically one of the healthiest things that the aging brain can be subject to.
    http://pescience.com/
    http://selectprotein.com/
    The above is my own opinion and does not reflect the opinion of PES
  11. Senior Member

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post
    Caffeine is ironically one of the healthiest things that the aging brain can be subject to.
    Could you please elaborate?
  12. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  186 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by domore View Post
    Could you please elaborate?
    Look on google scholar or pubmed search term - caffeine neuroprotective

Creatine also has neuroprotective properties

- Valdez
  13. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Valdez View Post
    Look on google scholar or pubmed search term - caffeine neuroprotective

Creatine also has neuroprotective properties

- Valdez
    Good deal. Thanks, valdez. I wasn't searching for the correct thing when I was researching it.
  14. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  186 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by domore View Post
    Good deal. Thanks, valdez. I wasn't searching for the correct thing when I was researching it.
    Databases are tricky with search terms. I would have gladly just linked you but there's a pretty big body of studies and that would taken quite sometime lol.

- Valdez
  15. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  205 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

<---This guy probably goes through 700-900mg of caff a day. I tried to go on a stim break recently and failed miserably :/
    IForce Nutrition online forum/message board rep
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. caffeine and creatine
    By captainbicept in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-14-2007, 05:09 PM
  2. Caffeine Does Nothing For You? (Vets Help)
    By BIGNBUFF in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 07-24-2003, 02:07 AM
  3. Caffeine As a Supplement
    By YellowJacket in forum Supplements
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-16-2003, 10:56 AM
  4. Adding Caffeine to Yohimburn
    By zingo in forum Supplements
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-23-2003, 09:50 AM
  5. Caffeine - Beware