L-Arginine - Underrated?

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
We all know L-Arginine is sort of old school and no longer sexy and often times, even dismissed as ineffective (for bb'ing purposes anyway).

How about for anti-aging?

The author makes a pretty monumental statement towards the end (then again, I have no clue what his affiliation/agenda is).
http://www.ergo-log.com/argininebestantiaging.html

L-Arginine: 'the best anti-aging remedy'

If you're over forty and starting to notice signs of aging then, according to the Egyptian biochemist Mohamed Gad, there's a very simple way to restore your youth and vitality. Every evening before going to bed, take 5 g L-arginine and your body will soon start to function better

L-Arginine is an interesting supplement, Gad writes in a review article that's worth reading. It's the precursor for the 'good' radical NO, and the compound has so many positive functions in the body that researchers have labelled L-arginine a 'semi-essential amino acid'. Although the body synthesises L-arginine by converting other amino acids, the 2.5 – 5 g L-arginine that we consume daily through our diet is only just enough.

Here's a random, by no means complete, list of positive effects of L-arginine: studies have shown that doses of several grams of L-arginine widen the blood vessels, as a result of which the kidneys function better. L-Arginine lowers the concentration of 'bad' LDL cholesterol. L-Arginine boosts sperm cell production and improves sexual functioning in some men who have impotence problems. L-Arginine helps the epithelium of the stomach to protect itself, can help reduced an acid stomach and speeds up recovery from stomach ulcers.

L-Arginine also helps wounds to heal more quickly. This is partly because L-arginine converts into L-ornithine, which in turn converts into L-proline. L-Proline is a precursor of collagen, an important component of connective tissue.

Just as important is – once again – NO. NO activates the immune system, inhibits inflammatory reactions and boosts the blood supply to the tissues that need repairing.

Last but not least, animal studies and one small human study [Am J Med. 2000 Apr 1; 108(5): 439.] have shown that aging brains work better, possibly because NO stimulates the production of the neurotransmitter glutamate in the brain.

On paper L-arginine is a perfect anti-aging substance. Because he wanted to see whether the amino acid is as good in reality, Gad gave 21 men and women, aged between 41 and 75, a daily dose of 5 g L-arginine before going to sleep, for a period of four weeks.

The test subjects were not particularly healthy. Of them 18 used "medications to control either hypertension, myocardial ischemia, diabetes, gastro-oesophageal reflux disease (GERD) and hyperacidity, hypothyroidism, neuritis, or rheumatoid arthritis".
Ok, so there was no control group. But Gad calls it a pilot study, and is enthusiastic about the results. And he's not the only one. At the end of the experiment, all 21 subjects wanted to continue taking the supplement.

"The demonstrated anti-aging benefits of l-arginine show promises greater than any pharmaceutical or nutraceutical agent ever previously discovered", Gad concludes in his article.

Source:
Journal of Advanced Research (2010) 1, 169–177.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Meh, that is a pretty lofty claim. The NO aspect of it is kinda true, however after prolonged use your body probably up regulates NO synthase. Arginine has a bit of cult following, like the founder of Beyond-a-Century, but I think many people on this board have played around with it enough to discern whether it has the "greater promise than ANY pharmaceutical or nutracuetical agent".

bdcc

bdcc

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Is the self-proclaimed "hype slayer" actually hyping arginine?

Just checking.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Meh, that is a pretty lofty claim. The NO aspect of it is kinda true, however after prolonged use your body probably up regulates NO synthase. Arginine has a bit of cult following, like the founder of Beyond-a-Century, but I think many people on this board have played around with it enough to discern whether it has the "greater promise than ANY pharmaceutical or nutracuetical agent".

I hear ya. ;)

Is the self-proclaimed "hype slayer" actually hyping arginine?

Just checking.

Ha! Touche! :p

nattydisaster

nattydisaster

PESCIENCE.com
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Arginine is underrated now, yes. Everyone thinks its a worthless ingredient because one study was published saying it doesnt increase NO. AAKG gives me a pump, without a doubt. I dont know how exactly, but it does

ericool007

ericool007

Awards
  • Established
Arginine AKG always gives me a good pump, no im not a huge fan because citrulline and agmatine gives a good pump too plus i feel it has added benefits but i dont think arginine is worthless.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Arginine is extremely underrated. Your body is going to use arginine to produce NO no matter what supplement you use to stimulate the NOS pathway. There are other things that are less harsh on your stomach and that work too, but arginine does work. I don't agree with them calling it a "good radical" though lol. NO has many jobs in the body and not all of them are good.

newbreed

Awards
I like Arginine Nitrate. Get a sick pump with that

Royd The Noyd

Royd The Noyd

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Est1969

Est1969

Awards
  • Established
If you are susceptible to cold sores, know that arginine will trigger an outbreak.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Arginine is underrated now, yes. Everyone thinks its a worthless ingredient because one study was published saying it doesnt increase NO. AAKG gives me a pump, without a doubt. I dont know how exactly, but it does
There are 10+ studies demonstrating its lack of efficacy in humans. In fact, it's pretty much in a league of its own with respect to the amount of data against its use.

As for the ergolog study, if you're consuming a high protein diet then arginine won't be limiting and you'll be unlikely to reap the benefits demonstrated by the study.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Arginine is extremely underrated. Your body is going to use arginine to produce NO no matter what supplement you use to stimulate the NOS pathway. There are other things that are less harsh on your stomach and that work too, but arginine does work. I don't agree with them calling it a "good radical" though lol. NO has many jobs in the body and not all of them are good.
Agreed, and I think you'll agree there are more effective means to the same end.

And lol at good radical :D. Because we all love peroxynitrite induced necrosis!

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Agreed, and I think you'll agree there are more effective means to the same end.

And lol at good radical :D. Because we all love peroxynitrite induced necrosis!
I didn't want to go into the other side of the coin and start a similar argument against the people that think I'm going to have big holes in my brain from using DAA :)

bdcc

bdcc

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
When you're old, this sort of thing happens all the time

It aint fun so enjoy your youth lol

Now, are you done having fun at my expense for the day?
You hold others to a high standard and are more than happy to call people out so I knew you would be tough enough to handle it. :)

I am finished now although if you make a post in the future I can't promise not to quote either thread again lol.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Bro - Re-Read the HUMILITTY I showed in this thread several times now taking the high road and you just cant stop

I call things as I see it. I am not a REP and have zero hidden agenda to pimp any products.

If a product doesn't pan out and riddled with baseless-hype and exaggeration, I speak my mind.

This isnt a forum just for REPS. It's an OPEN forum for all to engage and opine.

Good day!

You hold others to a high standard and are more than happy to call people out so I knew you would be tough enough to handle it. :)

I am finished now although if you make a post in the future I can't promise not to quote either thread again lol.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

Bro - Re-Read the HUMILITTY I showed in this thread several times now taking the high road and you just cant stop

I call things as I see it. I am not a REP and have zero hidden agenda to pimp any products.

If a product doesn't pan out and riddled with baseless-hype and exaggeration, I speak my mind.

This isnt a forum just for REPS. It's an OPEN forum for all to engage and opine.

Good day!
Guys! I am a firm believer that there is no better laugh then the laugh at someone else's expense. ;)
Also, it's fun and games until someone puts an eye out - then it's hilarious! :D

Please let's let bygones be bygones.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays - or else! :D

BigMikeC

BigMikeC

Awards
Arginine AKG always gives me a good pump, no im not a huge fan because citrulline and agmatine gives a good pump too plus i feel it has added benefits but i dont think arginine is worthless.
Exactly everbody wants to bash it because of one study.Honestly I dont care what some study says ive seen plenty of studies that supported it for years. What I do know is that when I take it i get more vascular and better pumps. Everybody wants to be apart of what ever the latest NO band wagon is. Agmatine and cittrulline are good. This doesnt all of a sudden make arginine garbage.