Does anyome use casein protein?

thenewkid4011

Awards
Just curious if people still use it and have had any problems with it ?

JoeySon

JoeySon

Banned
Awards
No problems besides the price...just drink a big glass of milk (20% whey, 80% casein)

tnubs

tnubs

Awards
  • Established

As the guy above said, milk is good, or you could find some cheap fat free cottage cheese. 60g casein for $1 if u find it on sale at the supermarkef

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Not anymore, now i just add whole milk + 1/2 cup cottage cheese to all my blended shakes.

Mike

newbreed

Awards
I used to but because of the price, I go with cottage cheese or greek yogurt

ponysteak

ponysteak

Awards
I never have, it's too pricey...I eat a lot of chobani greek yogurt though, is there as much casein as cottage cheese?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I use it to make protein pudding with liquid egg whites, but not as a day-to-day protein.

thegodfather

thegodfather

Awards
  • Established
I just kill a giant glass of milk before bed and I'm good.

Sent from my iPhone

hsk

Awards
  • Established
Don't use the powder, but I used to eat low fat cottage cheese. These past 3 years, I've switched over to plain fat free greek yogurt Chobani/***e. Much lower in sodium and zero fat. I opt for real food whenever possible.

theotherone55

theotherone55

Awards
I agree.

Most people will go with milk/cottage cheese/greek yogurt as an option because of its availability and price compared to powder.
If you DO go the powder route, you can do lots of cool stuff with it. I used to get free 8lbs of Casein from TrueNutrition (then TP) all the time and would throw 2 scoops+mixed berries+lots of ice+almond milk into a blender = delicious THICK froyo-like protein ice cream.

kevinhy

kevinhy

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I generally use casein exclusively. I have a voracious appetite, and whey does absolutely nothing for it, I'd rather have each calorie ingested be at least sort of filling.

Red9

Red9

Awards
Dymatize Elite XT NutraTeric protein... $29.00 @ Lockout for 5.15lb tub

That'll last you almost two months if u use one scoop a night, which is what I do on top of eating shortly before bed. And I mix it with milk as well. Great because I can throw in a dose of my bulk cissus with it(which tastes like ass alone) and even sometimes drop in a raw egg

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Satiety studies show whey is actually more satiating than casein 2 hours post-meal. This is likely due to impaired hormonal feedback from the poor absorption of casein (via hydrophobic domain sequestration and subsequent agglutination).

Red9

Red9

Awards
Satiety studies show whey is actually more satiating than casein 2 hours post-meal. This is likely due to impaired hormonal feedback from the poor absorption of casein (via hydrophobic domain sequestration and subsequent agglutination).
So Coop are you suggesting that a whey shake opposed to casein at bedtime would be more beneficial?

I know the absorption rate of whey is much quicker obviously than casein, hence the use of casein during times that we need an extended period of muscle feeding i.e. during sleep...

But what would be the benefits of using whey over casein at bedtime?

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
So Coop are you suggesting that a whey shake opposed to casein at bedtime would be more beneficial?

I know the absorption rate of whey is much quicker obviously than casein, hence the use of casein during times that we need an extended period of muscle feeding i.e. during sleep...

But what would be the benefits of using whey over casein at bedtime?
Some facts:

1. The absorption of whey is not that much faster than casein (on the order of 2 extra grams per hour).

2. Whey has a higher biological value, more beneficial peptide fractions, and a higher bioavailability.

The timing of protein doesn't really matter, but really the only reason to ever use casein instead of whey is if you prefer the texture (or are baking).

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Used to all the time... until I found out there's no NEED for it. I just eat Greek yogurt, drink milk, and eat cottage cheese for my casein.

bono1132

bono1132

Awards
I always heard that if you want a casein like effect from whey to take it with fish oil that it will slow the digestion of the protein... I don't know if that's true or not... Either way don't spend the damn money on it, man up and drink milk or shovel down cottage cheese

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I always heard that if you want a casein like effect from whey to take it with fish oil that it will slow the digestion of the protein... I don't know if that's true or not... Either way don't spend the damn money on it, man up and drink milk or shovel down cottage cheese
To get whey to be slower digesting, eat with peanut butter.

newbreed

Awards
They say essential fatty acids slow the absorption down. I like to put flaxseeds in cottage cheese or yogurt sometimes

MuscleGauge1

MuscleGauge1

Board Sponsor
Awards
This protein is great actually. I like to use it right before I go to bed it really gives me a great bedtime snack.
I think its a great protein its slow digesting and works well with my program that I am following. I say go for
it it can't hurt to try it. What company are you using for your protein. I'll check to see if I can get you a discount

JoeySon

JoeySon

Banned
Awards
I use it to make protein pudding with liquid egg whites, but not as a day-to-day protein.
hmm you have a recipe rodja? that actually sounds pretty tastey and easy

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I prefer some blends with Casein because they tend to mix up nicer (I use sludge, etc vs shakes more often) and while not always, some of the best tasting proteins I buy are blends.

No need for slow digesting protein right before bed, you aren't going to go catabolic and eat all your muscle in your sleep though. ;)

Luke_PNI

Luke_PNI

Awards
Besides using it at night before you go to bed, i will also use it as a replacement shake with my healthy fats. Seems to fill me up much better than a regular whey shake.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
hmm you have a recipe rodja? that actually sounds pretty tastey and easy
1. Add 2.5 cups liquid egg whites to bowl
2. Add 5 scoops O.N Casein to bowl
3. Add 2 tbsp cocoa powder
4. Add in 1tbsp splenda
5. Blend together, starting on low and slowly move the speed up.
6. Slowly add in almond/regular milk depending on consistency. You want it to be slightly thinner than normal pudding because it will thicken up in the refrigerator.
7. Mix on high until it is smooth and all chunks are gone.
8. Cover and place in the refrigerator for 30min and then eat.

newbreed

Awards
1. Add 2.5 cups liquid egg whites to bowl
2. Add 5 scoops O.N Casein to bowl
3. Add 2 tbsp cocoa powder
4. Add in 1tbsp splenda
5. Blend together, starting on low and slowly move the speed up.
6. Slowly add in almond/regular milk depending on consistency. You want it to be slightly thinner than normal pudding because it will thicken up in the refrigerator.
7. Mix on high until it is smooth and all chunks are gone.
8. Cover and place in the refrigerator for 30min and then eat.
Sounds awesome