ZMAs vs. Calcium

B

briguy619

Awards
Everything I have read about ZMAs says not to take it with Calcium. Why is this? I take a Calcium pill in the morning with breakfast and then later on with lunch. Then I take a ZMA about 45 minutes before bed, but I also have a casein shake using milk immediately before bed. Is this bad?

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Calcium can limit the absorption of Zinc. That is why it is typically recommended not to take both minerals at the same time.

schizm

schizm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
bolt is right on...and how you're taking it you'll be just fine.

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Everything I have read about ZMAs says not to take it with Calcium. Why is this? I take a Calcium pill in the morning with breakfast and then later on with lunch. Then I take a ZMA about 45 minutes before bed, but I also have a casein shake using milk immediately before bed. Is this bad?
Have you been noticing better sleep?

M

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
You can eat as much calcium as you want with ZMA so long as it is coming from food. When you supplement a large bolus of calcium with zinc, the calcium does not have delayed kinetics as with food, so you get a large spike in GI absorption. Only then will Zinc absorption be significantly inhibited.

C

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You can eat as much calcium as you want with ZMA so long as it is coming from food. When you supplement a large bolus of calcium with zinc, the calcium does not have delayed kinetics as with food, so you get a large spike in GI absorption. Only then will Zinc absorption be significantly inhibited.
Good info coop!