Creatine Question

Herm

Awards
I traditionally have only taken the creatine supplied to me in a preworkout, and I did try adding concret when I was taking a pre that had no creatine in it. My question is when is it more beneficial to take creatine, before or after workout? and can you do both?. Also what is the max amount you can really absorb before you body considers it excess and just flushes it out without any absorption.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Creatine needs to saturate in your system over a few weeks. Therefore you can take creatine any time of day. I take it prewo but some take it post.

Typical creatine dose is 3-5g

Clickster

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
It really doesn't matter when you supplement creatine. Just get it in. ;)

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Creatine needs to saturate in your system over a few weeks. Therefore you can take creatine any time of day. I take it prewo but some take it post.

Typical creatine dose is 3-5g
I do around 10g.

Herm

Awards
So if I wanted to take eight to ten grams or even three to five., then could I split the total between a pre workout dose and post workout dose like four and four or three and three?

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
So if I wanted to take eight to ten grams or even three to five., then could I split the total between a pre workout dose and post workout dose like four and four or three and three?
I 5g in the morning & usually 5g at night.

Tyler44

Tyler44

Awards
I do around 10g.
There is no reason to dose over 3-5g daily. You don't need to "load" or "cycle" creatine. Just wasting it and likely bloating yourself up for no reason.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
There is no reason to dose over 3-5g daily. You don't need to "load" or "cycle" creatine. Just wasting it and likely bloating yourself up for no reason.
Typically on a 5g dose you don't get all 5g. I take ten to be on the safe side.
Do what ya do. :D

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
According to BAC:

Creatine Monohydrate, still the #1 sports performance supplement, increases muscles' store of creatine phosphate used to recharge used ATP to keep muscles firing during intense anaerobic effort. Studies show significant rapid improvement in strength and activities such as sprinting and weightlifting, while bodybuilders report increase in size from "cell volumizing." Has no effect on hormones, so it can be used by younger athletes. Creatine can help with neurological and muscle wasting issues associated with normal aging, and contributes to protecting neurons by helping reduce glutamate toxicity.** Considered by far the most effective athletic supplement for the money! We don't add glucose (and charge a lot for sugar like some companies do!). You can always add low-cost sugar or take with high glycemic carbs or juice if you want. Instead, we suggest you take with 10g+ whey protein along with perhaps a few grams of carbs to help release enough insulin for optimum uptake, or try 200-300mg lipoic acid (ALA) which acts as a shuttle to speed creatine to muscle cells. Despite rumors to the contrary, creatine users have less cramps, injuries, dehydration, water retention, and gastrointestinal problems than those on a placebo! Usual dose is 5g 4x/day for 5 days, then 5g once/day for 3 months, then some time off. Best taken after a weight training workout. Do not mix in water until just before using or it will turn into useless creatinine. If you want a more absorbable form, see other creatines listed below. 300 grams.

Clickster

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I do 5g of Mono or about 3g of MCC.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Muscle is composed of water too... 10g shouldn't call ill effects.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
what about taking it with slinshot
Theres studies down on the uptake of it.
I use SLINshot daily, but I don't eat too many "junk" carbs so I don't take too many caps.

I'm not a science or hog wash guy, the bottom line is eat right, train hard = results.
Nothing is a magic pill. :)

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I forget to take it :( too many pills to keep track of

maybe I'll remember it if I take creatine with it

OP didn't forget about ya! take creatine whenever!

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Muscle is composed of water too... 10g shouldn't call ill effects.
Downregulation of Cr-T, a hyperosmotic GI environment, and excessive DHT production are all considered ill effects

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Thx Coop. :)

Herm

Awards
So sticking to five grams pre or post is best? I just wondered if during my workout did I burn through some creatine meaning I should take more post to be in better shape for the next workout ?

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
So sticking to five grams pre or post is best? I just wondered if during my workout did I burn through some creatine meaning I should take more post to be in better shape for the next workout ?
Find 1000 conflicting stories, I take 10g a day...
About 2-3 pounds of fish/red meat would have 5g of creatine in it.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I might melt it in a spoon and shoot it up

OP if your prewo has creatine in it, then you're good prewo. if you're taking extra, or creatine standalone, take it at whatever time of the day is convenient for you. personal preference

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Find 1000 conflicting stories, I take 10g a day...
About 2-3 pounds of fish/red meat would have 5g of creatine in it.
There are no conflicting stories. All the literature is fairly straightforward on 3-5g after saturation is achieved.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
There are no conflicting stories. All the literature is fairly straightforward on 3-5g after saturation is achieved.
All personal preference.
I'm not denying or disagreeing with you @ all, your intellectual dialogue is a force to be recokoned with, but I'm still taking 10g a day. :D

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
All personal preference.
I'm not denying or disagreeing with you @ all, your intellectual dialogue is a force to be recokoned with, but I'm still taking 10g a day. :D
as long as you don't do 11g..that'd be way too much

:D

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
All personal preference.
Do as you may. Just remember that sometimes "preference" does not account for effects you don't feel, like Cr-T downregulation.