Immune Booster?

Ape McGrapes

Ape McGrapes

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Was going to pick up a bottle of Biotivia's Immune Boost+, but I was informed it won't be back in stock till the new year.

I currently take a one a day and 5,000iu of Vit. D3.

So what is the best standalone product to get my immune system cranking into overdrive?

Really need to get it up this winter.

FL3X MAGNUM

FL3X MAGNUM

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Vitamin C and zinc works for me

cokeholio

cokeholio

Awards
  • Established
Second on vitamin c. Anytime I feel sensitivity in my throat I pop vit c for a few days and I'm all clear

domore

Awards
From Dr. Houser:
Well - if you are already taking my ACES recommendation; there are two immediate alternates/additions I would ask that you keep in mind through flu season. The first two are MUST-HAVES; the other ones are just kind of giving you some ideas thereafter...

1. Omega-3 Fatty Acids: they act as immune boosters by increasing the activity of phagocytes, the white blood cells that eat up bacteria. They have had a lot of success with pulmonary (lung) infections/ailments.

2. AAHC: Active Hexose-Correlated Compound is a mushroom extract supplement that has been tested for its potential role in the immune system, liver health, cancer treatment and as a biological response modifier. Enhances resistance to infection and natural killer cell activity.

Granted, this is a study done in mice...but when looking at it in instances of the flu; I don't think this can be overlooked...

Supplementation with active hexose correlated compound increases the innate immune response of young mice to primary influenza infection.
J Nutrition. 2006;. Department of Bioscience and Biotechnology, Drexel University, Philadelphia, PA,
In this study, young mice were supplemented with 1 gram AHCC / (kilogram body weight x day) for 1 wk prior to and throughout infection with influenza A (H1N1, PR8). Our data suggest that supplementation boosts natural killer activity, improves survival, and reduces the severity of influenza infection in young mice.

Other Stuff topping off recent research would include...

3. N-acetylcysteine (NAC). In an Italian study, Researchers in Italy found that seniors taking 600 mg of NAC twice daily developed fewer flu-like symptoms and had influenza-like episodes less frequently. NAC helps boost levels of a disease-fighting antioxidant compounds known as glutathiones.

4. Andrographis. A Chinese medicine herb (Andrographis paniculata) that is known to reduce symptoms of upper respiratory infections and congestion. Can be combined Siberian Ginseng (Eleutherococcus senticosus) which might provide even greater, synergistic benefits. High dosages can have side effects, such as changes in blood pressure.

5. Elderberry extract. Studies show that this extract of Sambucus nigra stimulates the immune system. In a limited study in Israel, researchers found that people taking elderberry extract experienced a significant reduction in symptoms such as fever in just two days. Ninety percent were symptom-free after only three days. See below for more. We've used it very successfully.

6. Oscillococcinum. This top-selling homeopathic remedy for reducing cold and flu symptoms which has been found to reduce the duration of flu and flu-like syndromes.

7. North American Ginseng. North American ginseng has, in one small study, shown to cut the length of colds by one-third while reducing slightly the odds of catching a cold.

8. Zinc lozenges. Zinc is an antioxidant that stimulates the body's resistance to infection. Some research suggests that zinc lozenges reduce the duration of colds.

D_

Clickster

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Vitamin C & Zinc. I do need to work on getting in more Omega 3's.

Ape McGrapes

Ape McGrapes

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Thanks guys. Now let's keep em coming. Time to put a little stack together.

Anyone ****s with Astragalus?

newbreed

Awards
Vitamin C, zinc, and D. That and a good all around diet and proper recovery.

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
In addition to those listed above - Astragalus.

I have used this a lot. I used to give this to one of my sons when, as a 10 years old, he used to get ear infections and sore throats. After I started giving astragalus to him, he NEVER gains had these problems.

It is very inexpensive. There are no negative side effects.

Extracts of Astragalus membranaceus (syn. Astragalus propinquus) are marketed as life prolonging extracts in humans. A proprietary extract of the dried root of Astragalus membranaceus, called TA-65, 'was associated with a significant age-reversal effect in the immune system, in that it led to declines in the percentage of senescent cytotoxic T cells and natural killer cells after six to twelve months of use.'[SUP][dubiousdiscuss][/SUP][SUP][9][/SUP][SUP][unreliable source?][/SUP] In October 2010, Intertek/AAC Labs, an ISO 17025 internationally recognized lab, found the largest component of TA-65 to be Cycloastragenol.[SUP][10][/SUP] Telomerase activation was feared to pose an increased risk of cancer becausetelomere shortening is a mechanism that limits cell proliferation. However, short telomeres result in chromosome instability, hence there is also a potential mechanism for telomere lengthening to protect against cancer (as distinct from mutation-induced activation).[SUP][11][/SUP]

Ape McGrapes

Ape McGrapes

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Damn that AHCC is expensive. $60 for NOW brand.

VaughnTrue

VaughnTrue

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Check out Paractin. It's in our Joint Help, however clinicals show it works very well to boost ones immune system

thyrod

thyrod

Awards
Gut health. I never seem to get sick while taking it.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
a little shocked to see a physician making such dated suggestions...

I agree that NAC is great, and I'm going to say one that I bet most PES reps are totally unaware of. Anabeta is a very strong immunostimulant.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

I agree that NAC is great, and I'm going to say one that I bet most PES reps are totally unaware of. Anabeta is a very strong immunostimulant.
Actually saw a study or two on that the other day. Thought it was interesting but didn't read past the abstracts, but just more reason to use it I guess.

I like NAC and Gut Health for these purposes. From an anecdotal standpoint I feel Gut Health has really helped me stay healthy (watch me get sick in the next month now..) since using it consistently for the last half a year or so.

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Check out Paractin. It's in our Joint Help, however clinicals show it works very well to boost ones immune system
BUMP THAT!

NAC and Vit C I take daily.. regardless of data, echinacea has been very effective for me. Interesting info coop on anabeta!

Mike

domore

Awards

I pulled those from his subforum. The suggestions date to about this time last year.

Clickster

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I still don't know what I think about Echinacea.

zaire2d

Awards
Whay type of Zinc is most recommended for immune system?

I like Zinc Orotate, but I already read that some types are better for skin, for energy, etc, this is true? or it's all the same when it's in your body?

TommyTuffGuy

TommyTuffGuy

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
If you want to go hardcore I use Olive Leaf Extract, Andrographis, Black Cumin Seed Oil and Neem Leaf all from Swanson Vitamins...you can also throw in Garlic extracted for high Allicin content and the usual suspects like 3 gram and up Vitamin C per day and Zinc.

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Liver XT, Vitamin C, Magnesium, Vitamin D, Astragalus, Green Tea..plenty of good stuff out there.

Ape McGrapes

Ape McGrapes

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Should I go astragalus powder or extracted for 0.5% hydroxy-3-methoxy-isoflavone-7?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Supplements 16
kingdong Supplements 30
Supplements 11
PrepNwa23 Supplements 12
Anabolics 14