Taking Melatonin every night

hoSSo

Awards
Hello , I normally have a hard time falling asleep , so after doing some research I decided to try out melatonin. At first, it didnt make me sleep any quicker, but atleast I wasnt waking up at night. But after stacking it with Valarian Root, I slept like a baby. But I've read that using melatonin every day results in the gland becoming lazy and becoming dependent on supplementation. I've read arround here that some of you use it every day, but just wanted to hear some more feedback about it.

For the people who use it every night, what dose do you take and have you been able to fall asleep easily when not taking melatonin?

Longdog

Awards
  • Established
I've used 9mg every night for several years & I have difficulty sleeping without it. Unless it's one of those days I'm just beat, I just lay there until 3am. I am not sure if that is due to dependence or not, I started taking it due to those same symptoms.

cobra1414

Awards
I take it every night 3mg. If I don't I lay there and my mind races for a least a couple hours. Love the stuff

For me it works even better than certain pharm. sleep meds

I have no issue w/ taking it every night for the rest of my life, cause I can't get any quality sleep without it, and that was before I ever tried it to so there.

Last edited:

Jcc

Awards
  • Established
No comment, I have attempted to not use it every night. I should add that I had been taking valerian every night for a while, and while it does not seem to form dependency, it DOES lose its effectiveness after a while.

Lanceromance

Awards
Try a liquid melatonin. Works a little better I think.

g4ud1n

Awards
  • Established
I think once you start taking melatonin your body will stop producing it, just like taking any other hormone. I could be wrong though....

Odessa14

Awards
  • Established
I think once you start taking melatonin your body will stop producing it, just like taking any other hormone. I could be wrong though....
I read this also, I try and break it up. IMO, Never want to be on it too long.....being dependent on anything sucks.

O14

Dutchman

Dutchman

Awards
  • Established
I've had a ton of concerns that bothered me, keeping my mind racing at night. I find that taking 6 mgs of melatonin about an hour before hitting the sack does the trick for me. I fall asleep quickly and soundly. I take my ZMA then too so stacking them has multiple positive benefits for me.

I believe it is gaining a good rep as a useful supp for prostate care along with all the other sleep, anti-oxident, stroke prevention etc reps it has earned earlier.

Lastly, did you know research has shown that smoking a joint can raise your melatonin levels 4000% within two hours. Certainly a more enjoyable way to take one's supps, nicht wahr?

Cuffs

Cuffs

Awards
  • Established
I just began taking Melatonine a few days ago. I started at 3mg's and it had no affect. I upped to 4mg's, still no affect. Last night I tried 5mg's and felt very relaxed about 45 minutes later. I'm going to see how 6mg's feels tonite. I get approximately 5 hours of broken sleep on my work nights. I'm hoping this helps me get through the entire night, but doesn't leave me too groggy the next morning.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Helps with GH release as well.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
6mg ed for me. i've gone without it before and slept fine, just took about an extra hour to knock out though. melatonin seems to relax me faster. i tried combining with benadryl one time during a typhoon and knocked out for 12 hours.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Theanine is quite pleasant as well and stacks nicely with melatonin and ZMA.

Fastflight

Fastflight

Awards
  • Established
I've had a ton of concerns that bothered me, keeping my mind racing at night. I find that taking 6 mgs of melatonin about an hour before hitting the sack does the trick for me. I fall asleep quickly and soundly. I take my ZMA then too so stacking them has multiple positive benefits for me.

I believe it is gaining a good rep as a useful supp for prostate care along with all the other sleep, anti-oxident, stroke prevention etc reps it has earned earlier.

Lastly, did you know research has shown that smoking a joint can raise your melatonin levels 4000% within two hours. Certainly a more enjoyable way to take one's supps, nicht wahr?
I´ve been smoking after nightshift,to get me asleep in the morning.
Worked well,für mich!:wave:

but I´ve stopped smoking,althought from time to time it might help when you´re stressed from sports(maybe once a month).
Maybe I´ll give melatonin a try,although a joint might be easier to get and less expensive.

I would this time not smoke it,instead I would just heat it and take a sniff,´cause I often thought that that will do.

fulforb

I alternate 3mg Melatonin and 5gm of GABA and sometimes ZMA but I don't use them every night since I notice they don't work as well when I do it. I always make sure that I'm ready to go to sleep at least 20 minutes before I take Melatonin and start to dim the lights in my bedroom while it takes effect. Always works for me unless I've taken something to late in the day that keeps me awake no matter what I take to fall asleep. Can't expect it to work miracles if your amped on something else though.

Odessa14

Awards
  • Established
I alternate 3mg Melatonin and 5gm of GABA and sometimes ZMA but I don't use them every night since I notice they don't work as well when I do it. I always make sure that I'm ready to go to sleep at least 20 minutes before I take Melatonin and start to dim the lights in my bedroom while it takes effect. Always works for me unless I've taken something to late in the day that keeps me awake no matter what I take to fall asleep. Can't expect it to work miracles if your amped on something else though.
Do you feel a difference with the GABA? I like GABA but it never knocked me out without the melatonin. I always seen to get vivid dreams when I use both.

Physicist

Awards
I use a brainwave entrainment CD at night to help fall asleep. Slows down my brainwaves, and its been reported to increase DHEA and melatonin while decreasing cortisol. I can't find you a good reference for this, only an mention of an unpublished study.
I admit I've become partially dependent on my CD.

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
A friend of mine has a magnetic resonance device that entrains brainwaves for sleep induction, it's a disk that goes under his pillow. He swears by it, claims he gets the best sleep of his life. I told him he would probably end up getting a brain tumor and going Columbine at work eventually :twisted:

Melatonin is strange stuff for me, worked great for a few years , then no effect unless I take a very large dose, and if one uses it nightly, make sure you are getting some daylight sunshine as the waking hormonal releasing counter to it's possible depressent effects, at this time of year, one can get really SAD ( seasonal Affective Disorder).

GuyinLA

Awards
I use a brainwave entrainment CD at night to help fall asleep. Slows down my brainwaves, and its been reported to increase DHEA and melatonin while decreasing cortisol. I can't find you a good reference for this, only an mention of an unpublished study.
I admit I've become partially dependent on my CD.
What CD do you use, i.e. manufacturer, title?

Physicist

Awards
What CD do you use, i.e. manufacturer, title?
I use the holosync program from Centerpointe. This is the one that claims numerous longterm benefits.
http://www.centerpointe.com/
Its pretty expensive, I've only got the introduction CD.
There are much cheaper entrainment cd's available on Ebay, they should work about the same.

I've also used the Series XIII:Whales cd from Brainwave Mind Voyages.
http://brainwave-entrainment.com/
It works great for 20-minute powernaps.

GuyinLA

Awards
I use the holosync program from Centerpointe. This is the one that claims numerous longterm benefits.
There are much cheaper entrainment cd's available on Ebay, they should work about the same.

Thanks.

Skorpius

Awards

Hmmm...that is quite interesting. I am not denying that it works for you, but I would love to see some studies on this.

Grant

Awards
  • Established
I´ve been smoking after nightshift,to get me asleep in the morning.
Worked well,für mich!:wave:

but I´ve stopped smoking,althought from time to time it might help when you´re stressed from sports(maybe once a month).
Maybe I´ll give melatonin a try,although a joint might be easier to get and less expensive.

I would this time not smoke it,instead I would just heat it and take a sniff,´cause I often thought that that will do.
Melatonin is one of the cheapest supplements there is

http://www.nutraplanet.com/product_info.php?products_id=222

Heh,plus it doenst make you hungry as hell and laughing about all types of retarded ****.

canadian champ

Awards
  • Established
melatonin will not work if you are exposed to sunlight/artificial light. You must remain in the dark for it to function.
Just a tip.
cc

shootmeagain

Awards
  • Established
From www.mindbodyconsult.com. Bold emphasis mine. I do not claim to know with any degree of certainty the accuracy of this information.

Melatonin
Psychoactive

Description: Hormone naturally secreted by pineal gland. Derived from pineal parenchymal cells from the same metabolic pathway that gives rise to serotonin.

Method of Action: Neurohormone which inhibits sympathetic nervous system action and stimulates parasympathetic nervous system causing reset of biological clock (circadian rhythms). Increases effect of GABA and raises brain serotonin levels inhibiting the sympathetic nervous system. Protects cells against radical-mediated damage. .05 mg produced daily in healthy persons.

Indications and Usage: Sleep Disorders (especially East-West Jet-Lag and insomnia related to Dysthymia and Major Depression); Improves sleep efficacy; Mild-Moderate Depression; Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) in conjunction with phototherapy; Circadian Rhythm Disorders; Menstrual Discomfort; Infertility; Alzheimer’s Disease; Bipolar Disorder; Substance Abuse Recovery; Alcoholism; Beneficial effect on deleterious effects of aging; Reduces formation of gastric lesions; Reduces deleterious effects of chemotherapy; May strengthens immune system with corresponding benefits on certain cancers; Hypertension and cardiovascular disease; Infertility. Use in many of the above areas may be complicated and highly dependent of individual variables. Professional supervision is recommended.

Contraindications: Do not use this product if you are pregnant or lactating. Supplemental melatonin may interfere with ovulation and conception. Some types of depression may be worsened by taking supplemental melatonin and close monitoring is advised. Melatonin supplementation may aggravate autoimmune disorders such as arthritis and severe allergies. Melatonin shrinks arteries and may be contraindicated in persons with cardiovascular disease. Children have high levels of melatonin and should not normally receive melatonin supplements. The effects of steroid drugs such as cortisone and dexamethasone may be counteracted by supplemental melatonin. Immune-system cancers such as lymphoma and leukemia may be further stimulated by melatonin supplementation. Persons under 40 years of age should avoid melatonin supplementation when possible.

Dosage and Administration: Sleep, Jet Lag, Anti-Aging: 0.2 to 3.0 mg in synthetic, timed-release form daily taken twenty minutes prior to bedtime (at the same time each day) along with 100 mg. niacinamide, 750 mg. calcium, 500 mg. magnesium and (in the am.) 25-50 mg. vitamin B-6. Shift work adaptation and immune stimulation require higher doses (1-5 mg. and 2-20 mg. respectively) and should be taken under professional supervision. Avoid melatonin products that have added ingredients (such as vitamin B-6.) Do not take melatonin at times other than bedtime. Use of non-timed-release forms of melatonin may result in early wakening, as melatonin-induced decrease in body temperature will reverse resulting in wakening. (Additional melatonin can be taken up to 3 hours before scheduled wake-up time.) Note: Optimal dose is highly individual and can only be accurately determined by laboratory testing as close to bedtime as possible and over two hours. Time of year also influences amount needed as decreasing sunlight (in winter months) tends to increase endogenous levels of melatonin in brain. If you experience drowsiness in the morning that appears to be melatonin-related decrease dosage.

Clinical Effect In: Within 30 minutes. Half-life of melatonin is short 30 to 40 minutes.

Adverse Reactions: No negative laboratory findings have been reported. Supplemental melatonin may increase levels of depression in some individuals (possibly those prone to seasonal affective disorder). No sleep architecture changes noted. Rare reversible adverse reactions including insomnia, vivid dreams, nightmares, depression, next-day fatigue and headache have been reported. Melatonin may cause decreased estrogen, testosterone and thyroid hormone. Research has not established whether melatonin supplementation could create hormonal dependency.

Known Interactive Effects: Do not use supplemental melatonin if there is reason to suspect your natural levels of melatonin are already high. May decrease absorption of estrogen. Persons taking monoamine oxidase inhibitors, beta-blocking drugs and steroid medications should not take supplemental melatonin. Persons taking antidepressant and antianxiety medications are cautioned that melatonin supplementation may enhance the effects of these drugs that also commonly raise melatonin levels in the brain. Melatonin levels can be depleted by the use of certain drugs and substances including: Fluoxetine (Prozac), nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, beta-blocker, calcium antagonists and calcium channel blockers, antihypertensive medication, vitamin B-12, caffeine, steroids, tobacco, alcohol.

willieman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I started taking Melatonin for sleep for a while (5mg), but it really had me in a depressed state of mind the next day, and I could not snap out of it.I think I read a post where some others had the same expirence.

BrKonman

Awards

Just a quick note for those interested in brainwave entrainment... I've been studying and utilizing it off and on since the mid/late 90's, and I've found that the commercial quality ones are nice, but nothing compares to one that I create myself utilizing shareware software (bwgen.com, and search on yahoo groups) and cooledit or soundforge. Best results come from customized entrainment programs, much like weight training :) And they work for many other areas. I've even combined entrainment with Metallica and Slipknot songs to get me hyped and focused beyond belief just before an MMA match or workout.

Definitely an interesting area to do some research. For a great list of references regarding brainwave entrainment I highly suggest checking out:
http://www.neuroacoustic.com/registry/references.htm

Oh, and I'm sure you can find the holosync tapes on shareazaa or bit torrent (I picked up about 15 of them back when audiogalaxy was around.)

BrKonman

Awards
Hmmm...that is quite interesting. I am not denying that it works for you, but I would love to see some studies on this.
The references used in the article --
http://www.neuroacoustic.com/registry/articles/articleresearch.htm -- are a great starting point.

And just so I don't get too off topic from the post (sorry) I used melatonin for about 3 weeks straight at 6 mg, to combat having too much stress on my mind when trying to sleep, and I found it took me almost as long when I stopped using it to get back to normal sleep. I like it for short term, specific use, but not long term. Just not a fan of dependency on anything really.

shootmeagain

Awards
  • Established
I tend to agree. In absence of conclusive long-term data, I believe I'll stick to melatonin use when there is some specific reason for needing temporary/short-term help in getting a good night's rest.

Physicist

Awards
fatty

fatty

Awards
  • Established
anyone try high dosages? I've used upwards of 40mg per night just to see what happens. Must say it is quite pleasant. Not something I do everyday, only occasionaly

Longdog

Awards
  • Established
I've been taking 12mg every night, & I have taken up to 21mg.

I found a study somewhere where subjects were taking like 70mg daily over a period of years, with no ill effects. I actually did a lot of research on the toxicity after my 18lb dog ate a 3mg tab I dropped. I figure that would be like me taking 40mg, the dog was fine.