Red Rice Yeast Extract & Liver Health

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Is this stuff really bad for your liver at an effective dose ?

ersatz

Awards
  • Established
From what I've read there can be a toxic by-product during the fermentation/synthesis process. Otherwise the chemical itself is supposed to reduce cholesterol. Given a good product I don't think there should be deleterious effects on the liver.

Max32

Max32

Awards
  • Established
From what I've read there can be a toxic by-product during the fermentation/synthesis process. Otherwise the chemical itself is supposed to reduce cholesterol. Given a good product I don't think there should be deleterious effects on the liver.
Since it is a statin, would the use of CoQ10 help prevent this possibility.

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Since it is a statin, would the use of CoQ10 help prevent this possibility.
All HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors can induce a Coenzyme Q10 deficiency. To include Lovastatin (Red Yeast Rice).

However, Red Yeast Rice contains several other cholesterol lowering agents including monacolins, sterols, and certain isoflavones, which provide the bulk of the chol. lowering properties. The amount of statin (Lovastatin) contained in Red Yeast Rice is trace. Three grams contains~ 5mgs of the statin, compared to perscribed dosages of Lovastatin in the 20-40mgs range. Human trials have not shown ANY elevations liver enzymes or renal impairment.

However, I do suggest you supplement with coq10 since there are not any long-term studies demonstrating Red Rice Yeast's effect in this area.

Another thing is that long-term use of statins leads to reduced effect, I would only supplement with Red Yeast Rice, or Niacin during cycles. Try to maintain a healthy diet year round with flax, olive, and fish oils.