Protein before or after workout?

bmoney59

Awards
I know this question came up before but couldn't find it. So what works best? Before or after? and is it bad to use if I'm trying to lose the little bit of fat I'm trying to lose?
advice would be great.
Sent from my M886 using Tapatalk 2

bmoney59

Awards
Thanks man it helped.

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Both preferable imo but not right before just with tour pre workout complete meal. As for weight loss just fit it into tour desired macros

Exian

Exian

Awards
If you have to pick one, drink it right after. I like a morning shake, post workout shake, and when I can afford it a bedtime shake haha

Clickster

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I still like right after if choosing just one.

Geoforce

Geoforce

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I like before, during, after, and at most points in between!

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
I know this question came up before but couldn't find it. So what works best? Before or after? and is it bad to use if I'm trying to lose the little bit of fat I'm trying to lose?
advice would be great.
sounds like you should spend some more time understanding nutrition, rather than zoning in on "when" you should ingest protein.
generically speaking, as long as you are consuming protein at every feeding thruout the day, it will be a non-issue. (this is the concept geoforce illustrates above)

for most, it is not preferable to drink protein immediately prior to training (as criticalbench mentions above)..but a great many ppl will tell you it IS preferable immediately after, as you need to replenish after strenuous activity.

when someone wonders if protein will make them fat, that is a glaring indicator that you do not grasp nutritional concepts.
overall caloric intake is what will determine whether you will contribute to fat stores..and then, finitely, follows the construction of that caloric intake (ie, macros).

for the record - protein in itself will not make you fat, in fact it is the most thermogenic macronutrient we can consume..logically, follows then that if we want to lose bodyfat, we increase our protein intake (while simultaneously lowering carbs and/or fat intake)..going further, we have the micronutrient construction of those macronutrients..(ie, the difference between the carb known as dextrose or sugar, and the carb known as, say, a sweet potato)..

if i can give you one bit of advice, it would be to study nutrition and dietary concepts.

good luck.

bmoney59

Awards
I like to go for runs after a workout should I take the shake after the run or after my workout before I go for my run?

newbreed

Awards
I like to go for runs after a workout should I take the shake after the run or after my workout before I go for my run?

I personally would wait until after your run.

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
for most, it is not preferable to drink protein immediately prior to training (as criticalbench mentions above)..but a great many ppl will tell you it IS preferable immediately after, as you need to replenish after strenuous activity.
Never did I say drink protein immediately before. I said you can drink a protein shake with your pre-workout complete meal. Pre-workout meal, means the last meal you eat prior to your workout.

I even said, NOT right before. No clue what you read, or how you took it, just justifying what i said. Hell, maybe I even took what you said wrong! Just clarifying, no hate.

My pre-workout meal is,

3oz Steak
12oz Potato's
1 Scoop Protean with 1/2 cup cottage cheese blended in

That is around 1 hour prior. Driving to gym, I drink 1 scoop compete with some extra bcaa's. Intra-workout I drink 1 scoop compete, 20g waxy maize, some extra amino's. 30-45 mins post workout I have 1 scoop protean, 1/2 cup cottage cheese blended in, 1 low fat string cheese.

Geoforce

Geoforce

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm usually whey protein+half a scoop of GlycoMyx about 45 minutes to an hour before workout. I think the concept of "before" workout really depends on how well you can handle a meal (or liquid) before training gut wise. 45 minutes-an hour gives me plenty of time to let the stuff settle, but i might have a hard time doing this if I took it say 5 minutes before.

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
Never did I say drink protein immediately before. I said you can drink a protein shake with your pre-workout complete meal. Pre-workout meal, means the last meal you eat prior to your workout.

I even said, NOT right before. No clue what you read, or how you took it, just justifying what i said.

Hell, maybe I even took what you said wrong!
yup, you read it wrong bro.
i read yours just fine.
in essence, i was agreeing with you, and mentioned (as criticalbench said) it is NOT preferable immediately before....
no hate.
sh!t happens. :wavey: