Supplements to increase mental clarity

Page 3 of 3 First 123

  1. What do you mean by diminishing return of magnesium l-threonate? I was under the impression supplementation was specifically to increase magnesium levels in the brain and it was effective.

    Edit: maybe mg for mg total absorption and/or levels throughout the body?
    Training Log
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/271254-what-aw-hell.html
    "Jackie Treehorn treats objects like woman man."


  2. Quote Originally Posted by rob112 View Post
    What do you mean by diminishing return of magnesium l-threonate? I was under the impression supplementation was specifically to increase magnesium levels in the brain and it was effective.
    Well, I just picked it as an example for the statement Coop made. Magnesium Threonate has shown to cross the BBB in some studies. This question was just used as means to help me word my BBB question in regards to D-Serine to which Coop answered. Although compounds can be altered or created to have BBB permeability, "the whole neuronal apparatus, including the BBB, is geared to prevent excitoxic insult from oral compounds." The BBB is an intricately coordinated mechanism for protecting the brain. It won't let things get out of control in most cases.

    So, Magnesium Threonate may be able to cross the BBB better than Magnesium Glycinate, but how much magnesium from Magnesium Threonate is still being deterred at the BBB? Do we keep trying to create compounds that have greater BBB permeability only for our BBB to still block entry?
    •   
       


  3. Ahhh, I gotcha now. Thanks for clearing that up. Sorry for the derail!
    Training Log
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/271254-what-aw-hell.html
    "Jackie Treehorn treats objects like woman man."

  4. Quote Originally Posted by rob112 View Post
    Ahhh, I gotcha now. Thanks for clearing that up. Sorry for the derail!
    No problem. And, it wasn't a derail. I'm trying to pick Coop's brain just like everyone else!

  5. It's not all about the BBB, this is just one example! Certainly if you take a highly penetrating compound at even a microdose, you can induce some sort of pathological outcome (methylmercury, anyone?). Your question is very different because we are talking about endogenous substances that are under tight regulation in the body (see all the channels at the NMDAR, for instance. Aniracetam in particular should actually reduce any excitotoxic potential of DAA since it regulates the AMPAR (this is in stark contrast to an AMPAR agonist, which may have totally different effects). Piracetam would also prove useful in exerting neuroprotective effects (this time more specifically to the NMDAR).
    •   
       


  6. Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post
    It's not all about the BBB, this is just one example! Certainly if you take a highly penetrating compound at even a microdose, you can induce some sort of pathological outcome (methylmercury, anyone?). Your question is very different because we are talking about endogenous substances that are under tight regulation in the body (see all the channels at the NMDAR, for instance. Aniracetam in particular should actually reduce any excitotoxic potential of DAA since it regulates the AMPAR (this is in stark contrast to an AMPAR agonist, which may have totally different effects). Piracetam would also prove useful in exerting neuroprotective effects (this time more specifically to the NMDAR).
    I really appreciate it, Coop. Thank you for bearing with me and letting me work through my thought process.

    This type of information isn't my line of work, but, man, I am really interested in it.
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 07-07-2011, 12:46 AM
  2. supplements to increase melanocytes
    By Shavani in forum Supplements
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-27-2011, 03:58 PM
  3. Replies: 21
    Last Post: 01-26-2009, 10:13 AM
  4. Supplements to increase platelet count
    By freqfly in forum Supplements
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-19-2008, 12:56 AM
  5. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-30-2006, 12:21 AM
Log in
Log in