Supplements to increase mental clarity - AnabolicMinds.com - Page 2

Supplements to increase mental clarity

Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. Diamond Member
    mr.cooper69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    10,482
    Rep Power
    5966607

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay888999 View Post
    Ive read Taurine as well can help with stimulating the mind with focus and clarity.In what way does DAA help? Why would i contribute my statement rto only the DAA?
    Taurine will realistically have no effect. Neither will erase or carnitine fumarate. DAA is an NMDA agonist, which shows evidence of increasing cognitive function.
    http://pescience.com/
    http://selectprotein.com/
    The above is my own opinion and does not reflect the opinion of PES

  2. Banned
    Jay888999's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,364
    Rep Power
    0

    Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69
    Taurine will realistically have no effect. Neither will erase or carnitine fumarate. DAA is an NMDA agonist, which shows evidence of increasing cognitive function.
    So then supplementing with this on a reg basis and consistantly can only benefit you,id assume? But being it raises test does that cause a problem with consistant use? Ive heard you say Alcar is great for focus,but that can be used year round?
  3. Diamond Member
    mr.cooper69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    10,482
    Rep Power
    5966607

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay888999 View Post
    So then supplementing with this on a reg basis and consistantly can only benefit you,id assume? But being it raises test does that cause a problem with consistant use? Ive heard you say Alcar is great for focus,but that can be used year round?
    I wouldn't extrapolate it that far, as longterm studies are absent. Cycle DAA as you would all supplements. ALCAR can essentially be used year round (I cycle off every 6 months).
    http://pescience.com/
    http://selectprotein.com/
    The above is my own opinion and does not reflect the opinion of PES
    •   
       

  4. Banned
    Jay888999's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,364
    Rep Power
    0

    Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69

    I wouldn't extrapolate it that far, as longterm studies are absent. Cycle DAA as you would all supplements. ALCAR can essentially be used year round (I cycle off every 6 months).
    Excellent..i prefer 2 months on daa and 2 months off.I believe in cycling everything.

    Thnx for the advice man
  5. Ω Omega Sports Ω
    Clickster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,501
    Rep Power
    178408

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    SNS Focus XT is the best supplement in this area. I have had great results with it. I have yet to try the Stim-Free version.
    Omega Sports Representative
    The Omega Vision Honor. Integrity. Trust.
  6. Senior Member
    antihero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,357
    Rep Power
    253646

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Clickster
    SNS Focus XT is the best supplement in this area. I have had great results with it. I have yet to try the Stim-Free version.
    You should, the fruit punch flavoring is delicious.
    Serious Nutrition Solutions
    Revolutionizing Sports Nutrition, One Product At A Time
    antihero [@] SeriousNutritionSolutions.com
  7. Senior Member
    MattPorter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,676
    Rep Power
    64117

    Reputation Reputation

    I like Rhodiola tooAnyone remember the short lived "first order" beta alanine product? It has rhodiola in it and thought it was great!-Matt
  8. Senior Member
    MuscleGauge1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,568
    Rep Power
    258612

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Have you tried all natural cognitive enhancers? Some herbs help with blood flow to the brain and have the potential to keep your brain into concentrating on the task at hand, increasing alertness and mental clarity. Taking a good focus supplement can give you the discipline you need to become more productive and eliminate distractive tendencies. Try some of these to help you in your efforts: Choline, phoshotidyle serine, aceytyl L-carnitine, gingko biloba, Vitamin B9 or Folic Acid, DMAE, L-cysteine, and rhodiola. Good luck!
  9. Senior Member
    domore's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,922
    Rep Power
    966231

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Can we get some good conversation on D-Serine and Sarcosine?
  10. Diamond Member
    mr.cooper69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    10,482
    Rep Power
    5966607

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by domore View Post
    Can we get some good conversation on D-Serine and Sarcosine?
    For an acute burst of cognitive function, try the NMDA trio of D-Serine, sarcosine, and DAA along with a potentially synergistic AMPA-based agent: aniracetam.
    http://pescience.com/
    http://selectprotein.com/
    The above is my own opinion and does not reflect the opinion of PES
  11. New Member
    dsohei's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    215
    Rep Power
    8186

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post
    For an acute burst of cognitive function, try the NMDA trio of D-Serine, sarcosine, and DAA along with a potentially synergistic AMPA-based agent: aniracetam.
    acute meaning "short-lived and diminishing effects when used repeatedly"?
    ive used sarco, daa, and ani together for the last few weeks and while they dont do anything bad for me, i havent experienced SUPER-WOW effects, maybe because i didnt have the d-serine...?
  12. Diamond Member
    mr.cooper69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    10,482
    Rep Power
    5966607

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by dsohei View Post
    acute meaning "short-lived and diminishing effects when used repeatedly"?
    ive used sarco, daa, and ani together for the last few weeks and while they dont do anything bad for me, i havent experienced SUPER-WOW effects, maybe because i didnt have the d-serine...?
    Short-lived, yes. Diminishing effects, no.

    None of these should give you wow effects. They aren't stimulants/work on the reticular activating system. They should improve functional memory.
    http://pescience.com/
    http://selectprotein.com/
    The above is my own opinion and does not reflect the opinion of PES
  13. New Member
    dsohei's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    215
    Rep Power
    8186

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69

    Short-lived, yes. Diminishing effects, no.

    None of these should give you wow effects. They aren't stimulants/work on the reticular activating system. They should improve functional memory.
    My functional memory is usually pretty good, i use noots et al for different effects like increasing energy, clarity, motivation, wit, humor, communication and creativity
  14. New Member
    mondata's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  208 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Age
    30
    Posts
    161
    Rep Power
    546

    Reputation

    Since I started taking the ALCAR (1 g A.M. and 0.5g P.M.) and Bacopa I have noticed a few things. I feel like my 'brain' is more calm and relaxed. Usually I have a million thoughts running through my head 24/7 and while I still do its seems to have slowed down slightly. For me this is obviously a good thing. The biggest thing I have noticed is with sleep. I have slept a good bit better but I CANNOT wake up in the mornings. For the first time ever, I have had to set multiple alarms. I have slept through my first alarm every single morning for about a week now and even slept through my phone alarm one day. I like the sleep but it feels like I am drugged when I wake up. May only take the ALCAR in the A.M. and see if any changes occur.
  15. Senior Member
    domore's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,922
    Rep Power
    966231

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post
    For an acute burst of cognitive function, try the NMDA trio of D-Serine, sarcosine, and DAA along with a potentially synergistic AMPA-based agent: aniracetam.
    Can D-Serine, itself, activate the NMDA receptor? Wouldn't a cascade of effects like--preceding agonism of the AMPA receptor, membrane depolarization, NMDA magnesium displacement, and accompanying binding with glutamate--need to be met prior to agonism?

    So, D-Serine is "limited" by prior AMPA activation (among other criteria)? Could it still lead to over activation of the NMDA receptor? I guess this is something that everyone worries about when messing with the NMDA receptor?

    Now, what about allosterism? So, piracetam (and others) don't directly activate any receptor, but it modulates glutaminergic receptors through allosteric activation. Now, aniracetam has a high affinity binding to the AMPA receptor. Will modulating the AMPA receptor lead to over-activation of the NMDA receptor?

    Alright, I was pretty long winded, but I needed to work through that post to help myself understand.

    So, hypothetically speaking, is it safer (avoiding NMDA excitotoxicity) to modulate the AMPA receptor through the use of -racetams, or to activate the NMDA receptor through the use of D-Serine (and follow the cascade of preceding criteria prior to agonism of the NMDA receptor)?
  16. Senior Member
    domore's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,922
    Rep Power
    966231

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    ^^Bump
  17. Diamond Member
    mr.cooper69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    10,482
    Rep Power
    5966607

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    I didn't follow certain parts of your post, but no, aniracetam would not potentiate excitotoxicity (there are far more mechanisms in place than basic AMPA modulation). In fact, aniracetam would probably prove neuroprotective to any such effect from the combo.
    http://pescience.com/
    http://selectprotein.com/
    The above is my own opinion and does not reflect the opinion of PES
  18. Senior Member
    domore's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,922
    Rep Power
    966231

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post
    I didn't follow certain parts of your post, but no, aniracetam would not potentiate excitotoxicity (there are far more mechanisms in place than basic AMPA modulation). In fact, aniracetam would probably prove neuroprotective to any such effect from the combo.
    Alright, thanks, Coop. I tried to word it the best I could.

    I'll just ask this question while I do some more reading:

    Can D-Serine or Sarcosine potentiate excitotoxicity?

    I would like to investigate the racetams, D-Serine, Sarcosine, and DAA, but I just don't want to be messing with neuronal death, excitotoxicity, etc.

    They all show great potential as cognitive enhancers, but I would like to read up on their pharmacodynamics and pharmacokinetics. I want to know what the drug does to my body and what my body does to the drug.
  19. Diamond Member
    mr.cooper69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    10,482
    Rep Power
    5966607

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by domore View Post
    Alright, thanks, Coop. I tried to word it the best I could.

    I'll just ask this question while I do some more reading:

    Can D-Serine or Sarcosine potentiate excitotoxicity?

    I would like to investigate the racetams, D-Serine, Sarcosine, and DAA, but I just don't want to be messing with neuronal death, excitotoxicity, etc.

    They all show great potential as cognitive enhancers, but I would like to read up on their pharmacodynamics and pharmacokinetics. I want to know what the drug does to my body and what my body does to the drug.
    It is highly unlikely that they would do so unless we are talking about a neuron in vitro. There are influx/efflux control systems in place that go beyond things as simple as co-agonism. The whole neuronal apparatus, including the BBB, is geared to prevent excitoxic insult from oral compounds.
    http://pescience.com/
    http://selectprotein.com/
    The above is my own opinion and does not reflect the opinion of PES
  20. Senior Member
    domore's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,922
    Rep Power
    966231

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post
    It is highly unlikely that they would do so unless we are talking about a neuron in vitro. There are influx/efflux control systems in place that go beyond things as simple as co-agonism. The whole neuronal apparatus, including the BBB, is geared to prevent excitoxic insult from oral compounds.
    "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to mr.cooper69 again."

    If the BBB will prevent excitoxic insult from oral compounds, when does the fascination with creating compounds with the ability to cross the BBB become a waste of time?

    It seems as if creating a compound with even more ability to have BBB permeability has diminishing return (e.g. Magnesium Threonate vs. Any Chelated Magnesium).

    Do you have any suggested readings that deal with the NMDA and AMPA receptors?
  21. Elite Member
    rob112's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  216 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    5,345
    Rep Power
    333216

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    What do you mean by diminishing return of magnesium l-threonate? I was under the impression supplementation was specifically to increase magnesium levels in the brain and it was effective.

    Edit: maybe mg for mg total absorption and/or levels throughout the body?
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/231713-rob112-3-means.html
    "Train like a beast, think like a human"-RTS
  22. Senior Member
    domore's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,922
    Rep Power
    966231

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by rob112 View Post
    What do you mean by diminishing return of magnesium l-threonate? I was under the impression supplementation was specifically to increase magnesium levels in the brain and it was effective.
    Well, I just picked it as an example for the statement Coop made. Magnesium Threonate has shown to cross the BBB in some studies. This question was just used as means to help me word my BBB question in regards to D-Serine to which Coop answered. Although compounds can be altered or created to have BBB permeability, "the whole neuronal apparatus, including the BBB, is geared to prevent excitoxic insult from oral compounds." The BBB is an intricately coordinated mechanism for protecting the brain. It won't let things get out of control in most cases.

    So, Magnesium Threonate may be able to cross the BBB better than Magnesium Glycinate, but how much magnesium from Magnesium Threonate is still being deterred at the BBB? Do we keep trying to create compounds that have greater BBB permeability only for our BBB to still block entry?
  23. Elite Member
    rob112's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  216 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    5,345
    Rep Power
    333216

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Ahhh, I gotcha now. Thanks for clearing that up. Sorry for the derail!
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/231713-rob112-3-means.html
    "Train like a beast, think like a human"-RTS
  24. Senior Member
    domore's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,922
    Rep Power
    966231

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by rob112 View Post
    Ahhh, I gotcha now. Thanks for clearing that up. Sorry for the derail!
    No problem. And, it wasn't a derail. I'm trying to pick Coop's brain just like everyone else!
  25. Diamond Member
    mr.cooper69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    10,482
    Rep Power
    5966607

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    It's not all about the BBB, this is just one example! Certainly if you take a highly penetrating compound at even a microdose, you can induce some sort of pathological outcome (methylmercury, anyone?). Your question is very different because we are talking about endogenous substances that are under tight regulation in the body (see all the channels at the NMDAR, for instance. Aniracetam in particular should actually reduce any excitotoxic potential of DAA since it regulates the AMPAR (this is in stark contrast to an AMPAR agonist, which may have totally different effects). Piracetam would also prove useful in exerting neuroprotective effects (this time more specifically to the NMDAR).
    http://pescience.com/
    http://selectprotein.com/
    The above is my own opinion and does not reflect the opinion of PES
  26. Senior Member
    domore's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,922
    Rep Power
    966231

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post
    It's not all about the BBB, this is just one example! Certainly if you take a highly penetrating compound at even a microdose, you can induce some sort of pathological outcome (methylmercury, anyone?). Your question is very different because we are talking about endogenous substances that are under tight regulation in the body (see all the channels at the NMDAR, for instance. Aniracetam in particular should actually reduce any excitotoxic potential of DAA since it regulates the AMPAR (this is in stark contrast to an AMPAR agonist, which may have totally different effects). Piracetam would also prove useful in exerting neuroprotective effects (this time more specifically to the NMDAR).
    I really appreciate it, Coop. Thank you for bearing with me and letting me work through my thought process.

    This type of information isn't my line of work, but, man, I am really interested in it.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 07-06-2011, 11:46 PM
  2. supplements to increase melanocytes
    By Shavani in forum Supplements
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-27-2011, 02:58 PM
  3. Replies: 21
    Last Post: 01-26-2009, 09:13 AM
  4. Supplements to increase platelet count
    By freqfly in forum Supplements
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-18-2008, 11:56 PM
  5. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-29-2006, 11:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in