In search of a good, cheap protein

BigGame84

BigGame84

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Been buying Xtreme Formulations and Trutein, which I both like, but now on more of a budget.

What's a good tasting chocolate protein with a decent ingredient profile that I can get for less than $40 for 5 lbs. ?

Jay888999

Jay888999

Banned
Awards
Ive found ON Gold Standard for $39.99-$43.00..5Lb tub that is

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I haven't tried the chocolate, but MP Combat Powder can usually be found for around or under $40. I've had a tub of s'mores and cookies & cream which were both delicious.

BigGame84

BigGame84

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Where are you guys finding these prices? If you could PM me, I would appreciate it. In the meantime, I'll google those proteins and see what I can find. Thanks.

Jay888999

Jay888999

Banned
Awards
Dude they are not that bad,lol.Not great either lol..but when u r tight on cash which im assuming the OP is,then who cares about tatse..If it gives you the necessary amount of nutrients,thats all that matters.No, ON hasnt upgraded there stuff it isnt the greatest tasting,but its not horrendous. Among some of the stuff ive tasted.

Who cares about taste to an extent,if it does the job thats what matters..Id rather spend $40.00 then $65.00 just because it taste better.

I personally apend a few extra bucks cause im in love with Gaspari Myofusion Cinamon Roll& banana perfection protein powders :)

antihero

antihero

Awards
  • Established
Dude they are not that bad,lol.Not great either lol..but when u r tight on cash which im assuming the OP is,then who cares about tatse..If it gives you the necessary amount of nutrients,thats all that matters.No, ON hasnt upgraded there stuff it isnt the greatest tasting,but its not horrendous. Among some of the stuff ive tasted.

Who cares about taste to an extent,if it does the job thats what matters..Id rather spend $40.00 then $65.00 just because it taste better.

I personally apend a few extra bucks cause im in love with Gaspari Myofusion Cinamon Roll& banana perfection protein powders :)
Here's the thing, I drink protein powders for both function (nutrients) and to enjoy them. The fact of the matter is that they are not the most economical solution if you are tight on money. I would much rather spend the $65 on a protein powder I enjoy instead of $40 on one that I can barely choke down without gagging.

If I only had $40 to cover my protein costs, I'd take it to the local butcher and pick up ~20lbs of ground beef. It's a much more economical solutions and it's a lot tastier than ON proteins.

drooks10

drooks10

Awards
  • Established
Here's the thing, I drink protein powders for both function (nutrients) and to enjoy them. The fact of the matter is that they are not the most economical solution if you are tight on money. I would much rather spend the $65 on a protein powder I enjoy instead of $40 on one that I can barely choke down without gagging.

If I only had $40 to cover my protein costs, I'd take it to the local butcher and pick up ~20lbs of ground beef. It's a much more economical solutions and it's a lot tastier than ON proteins.
I completely agree right here. the cost for a tasty protein is worth it to me. I treat my protein shakes kind of like a dessert. I want to enjoy them.

David
Team APPNUT

BigGame84

BigGame84

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I've been spending most of money on fresh chicken. Just would like something to supplement the days I don't get enough protein with my food.

Antihero, just out of curiosity, what protein supplements do you like?

drooks10

drooks10

Awards
  • Established
I've been spending most of money on fresh chicken. Just would like something to supplement the days I don't get enough protein with my food.

I'm not Antihero, but I will tell you what I like: Beverly International Ultimate Muscle Protein. Flavors are delicious and the profile is very good.

David
Team APPNUT

BigGame84

BigGame84

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I'm not Antihero, but I will tell you what I like: Beverly International Ultimate Muscle Protein. Flavors are delicious and the profile is very good.

David
Team APPNUT

I've read about Beverly. Good quality stuff. But way too much money for me.

How is BSN Syntha-6?

antihero

antihero

Awards
  • Established

Beverly and XF are great. Syntha-6 has some good flavors (higher in carbs than you might want, but I don't care), Universal Moccha is great in coffee, betancourt protein is tastey in oats, etc.

As a general rule (at this point), I don't buy it if I don't try it first. Ive been burned on bad flavors too many times in the past. I want to try the new myo flavors, the vpx proteins, and iforce as well since ive been hearing good things.

Jay888999

Jay888999

Banned
Awards
Antihero and drooks...i will reply as soon as i get home from the gym..But i will make one thing clear,Drooks will tell u..i was very very anti supplements til a couple months ago,i would never in a million yrs substitute whey protein powder for food,thats not how i was taught,when i started weight training .. :):):):)

jxn

Awards

Yeah, in an age where the new flavor systems can make protein shakes almost as good as actual milkshakes, it's amazing that so many companies are selling whey that tastes like butt. For $40-50+, I expect much better than the nasty stuff companies like ON, EAS, Muscletech, and Dymatize put out.

drooks10

drooks10

Awards
  • Established
Beverly and XF are great. Syntha-6 has some good flavors (higher in carbs than you might want, but I don't care), Universal Moccha is great in coffee, betancourt protein is tastey in oats, etc.

As a general rule (at this point), I don't buy it if I don't try it first. Ive been burned on bad flavors too many times in the past. I want to try the new myo flavors, the vpx proteins, and iforce as well since ive been hearing good things.
You haven't tried iForce Vanilla Mint Swirl? It's awesome!

David
Team APPNUT

drooks10

drooks10

Awards
  • Established
Antihero and drooks...i will reply as soon as i get home from the gym..But i will make one thing clear,Drooks will tell u..i was very very anti supplements til a couple months ago,i would never in a million yrs substitute whey protein powder for food,thats not how i was taught,when i started weight training .. :):):):)

No doubt about it; you're telling the truth. Haha. We're gonna convert you though....

David
Team APPNUT

Jay888999

Jay888999

Banned
Awards
No doubt about it; you're telling the truth. Haha. We're gonna convert you though....

David
Team APPNUT
Dude,ive gotten yelled at by my girl 3 times in 10 days...she is not happy our kitchen table looks like a supplement shop :( ..you guys already got me going..Having great results with daa and erase now,i cnt believe what i been missing bro,im serious man...ill check my inbox when i get home as well ;)

Jay888999

Jay888999

Banned
Awards

I completely agree right here. the cost for a tasty protein is worth it to me. I treat my protein shakes kind of like a dessert. I want to enjoy them.

David
Team APPNUT
Guys,I dont disagree with you on having something that taste well.me personally,i like myofusion Cin and Ban flavors,i shell out an extra $10,even $15.00 to buy some .

Antihero,I was only answering the OPs question on what cheap protein can he get. He didnt specify what his situation is with money and or how much protein he is able to eat. I would not ever tell someone to buy a shake over meat.NEVER ! I trained @ one point for appx 18 months with nothing but food,no creatine,no multis,no fish oil,nothing,no shakes,just food and some caffeine pre workout and bulked and cut quiet well.Made great gains in strength through all types of routines from pre exhaust to drop sets to res t pauses etc...So trust me brotha,i understand the importance of food.

To me,supps, including Whey,but not including creatine are a luxury.if your training and diet is spot not you can build a great physique,supplement free.I know you know that =)..I have done it the last 7 years ( multi,fish oil,creatine,whey and food),up until now appx 3 months ago.i decided to go with the supplement masses and hop on the bandwagon,i have loaded up a bit and quiet glad i did.

so thats my deal man ;) have good one Drooks and Antihero,always a pleasure talking and listening to your guys advice.

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

Or eggs they are dirt cheap.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
I haven't tried the chocolate, but MP Combat Powder can usually be found for around or under $40. I've had a tub of s'mores and cookies & cream which were both delicious.
Been wanting to try s'mores... May give it a shot next.

antihero

antihero

Awards
  • Established
You haven't tried iForce Vanilla Mint Swirl? It's awesome!

David
Team APPNUT
I don't like mint flavored things in general, but I have my eye on choc truffle, rvc, strawberry, and cake batter.

I just wanna know who I gotta bribe for some samples.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
I think I might be on my last tub of powder for a bit though. Tired of the bloat. I'd rather do a bar I think once or twice a day...

Budman7811

Budman7811

Awards
I have been eating MetrX bars. Found then on the cheap. I wasn't to picky went for the cheapest. 1st time trying it got a vanilla for wife and blueberry flavor for me.

mk3less

mk3less

Awards
Nature's research whey protein. Great taste mixes well you can get a 5lb tub for about $38 nice and simple ingredient profile.

cokeholio

cokeholio

Awards
  • Established
Whey to me is there for convenience. I have my one post workout shake and hope to get the rest with whole foods, if I feel I was short of my goal I'll take one at night but that's maybe once or twice in a month. Other than that it's whole milk, eggs, chicken, chicken, beef, fish, anabolic cheeseburgers sometimes only. Whole rotisserie chickens on wheat rolls with sriracha chili sauce and muenster cheese. Bananas, Greek yogurt

PuZo

Awards
  • Established
iForce Protean may not be the cheapest but it is one of the tastiest!

antihero

antihero

Awards
  • Established
iForce Protean may not be the cheapest but it is one of the tastiest!
Send me some flavor samples (not the mint) and I'll hook you up with noodz of Coop.

Miss Q

Miss Q

Awards
]Here's the thing, I drink protein powders for both function (nutrients) and to enjoy them.[/B] The fact of the matter is that they are not the most economical solution if you are tight on money. I would much rather spend the $65 on a protein powder I enjoy instead of $40 on one that I can barely choke down without gagging.

X2!!

David
Team APPNUT
X3!!:)

ericool007

ericool007

Awards
  • Established
mod edit: people, please review the rules on posting sales and retailers. It is not allowed.

Jay888999

Jay888999

Banned
Awards
I think I might be on my last tub of powder for a bit though. Tired of the bloat. I'd rather do a bar I think once or twice a day...
I have one-2 shakes and one -2 bars a day..all depends

CATdiesel76

CATdiesel76

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
The ON Performance whey chocolate is very tasty and pretty cheap $36 for 4-5 lbs. Mixes great, tastes great, just more fat and carbs than other proteins

Jay888999

Jay888999

Banned
Awards
The ON Performance whey chocolate is very tasty and pretty cheap $36 for 4-5 lbs. Mixes great, tastes great, just more fat and carbs than other proteins
I agree i never had any problems with on ...its far from terrible like alot of ppl make it out to be